VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So there are people who meet the benchmarks and still don't get accepted?
From what I heard according to recent MABS graduates, those who met benchmarks and didn't get in still reflects on how they carried themselves and answered the questions during the evaluation (interview) process. This MABS interview is more lenient than an official med school interview, but it is, of course, wise to prepare first on why VCOM, why DO, and some ethical questions. So as long as you meet benchmarks and prepared well for the interview, you'll be guaranteed a seat. There is also no competition for a seat among your fellow MABS classmates either because your options are either of the four campuses mostly based on location. Hope this helped, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know if they require students to resubmit their aacomas application? Also, do you know these people personally, is it their interview they blew?
And yes, you'll be required to resubmit your AACOMAS application. They told us to have it started already but do not submit it yet. They'll guide us on what to do and when to send in the application during the MABS program.

Reactions: 1 user
And yes, you'll be required to resubmit your AACOMAS application. They told us to have it started already but do not submit it yet. They'll guide us on what to do and when to send in the application during the MABS program.
thank you so much, that is helpful. Is there an orientation, fb group, or groupme I can join? I applied pretty late in the cyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much, that is helpful. Is there an orientation, fb group, or groupme I can join? I applied pretty late in the cyle.
Yes, yes, and yes! Orientation is July 26th and they'll send more info on that soon. Here are the platforms that current accepted students use:

FB Group Page: Facebook 小组
GroupMe: GroupMe

Glad to help and welcome aboard!

Just got accepted yesterday! Anyone looking for a roommate or know any good and cheap apartments?

Just got accepted yesterday! Anyone looking for a roommate or know any good and cheap apartments?
Congrats! Definitely join the FB page since a lot of students there are also still looking for potential roommates! :)

I just got accepted on Monday, sent requests to the facebook and groupme. Does anyone happen to know what our day-to-day schedule will be like within the program? I am still waiting on them to send me the introduction information/email.

I just got accepted on Monday, sent requests to the facebook and groupme. Does anyone happen to know what our day-to-day schedule will be like within the program? I am still waiting on them to send me the introduction information/email.
Congrats!! Looking forward to meeting you. On our FB page, I posted a shared document of our Q/A session with recent MABS students. Feel free to check it out!

I'm not too sure about the specifics of when and where each of our classes will be held, but the day is rather short from what I heard! Classes run from 8am-12pm and in the beginning weeks, Fridays are free and for students who need to take/retake their MCAT. For those who already fulfilled their MCAT benchmark, it's a day off to study/rest!

I would also send a follow-up email with Alisa Hewitt ([email protected]) for questions about when you'll be getting your official emails. Here's some more info to help you get a headstart with the deposit and health forms to fill out while you're waiting:

"In order to secure your seat, you must submit a $500.00 tuition deposit to the college within 15 days of this email. The tuition deposit, applied toward your tuition upon matriculation, is non-refundable. Please make payment to Bluefield College by calling 276.326.4215 (credit/debit) or by check."

Also, you can begin filling out forms and make appts with your primary care provider for required medical testing and examinations now too. Check it out on the accepted students page: MABS - Accepted Student Information

Scan in all necessary health forms to Sheila Ballard ([email protected]). Eventually, you'll get emails on this officially from MABS, but I figured this would be very useful to get started ASAP. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Groupme for OMABS:

Terrace View, Smiths landing . …..go to the accepted MABS website and there are other housing options
Does anyone have the cost of attendance sheet for this program? I’m trying to figure out how much living expenses you can take out?

Does anyone have the cost of attendance sheet for this program? I’m trying to figure out how much living expenses you can take out?
They should send an email in regards to this stuff . I would also go to their website and you will found housing apartments near campus

Hello to all on this forum. I am a current Mabs student and would like to give my story and allow you all the make your own decision following this. I came into this program with a 494 MCAT and thus I had to have a 3.75 GPA to meet the benchmarks. I got a 3.85 following first semester and was eligible for December acceptance. My entire class was accepted under the idea of NO interview. A week prior we received an email from the dean saying we would now have to interview. Following the interview me and many other students who also met the MCAT and GPA were rejected. This is only ONE of the many issues this program has brought me and my classmates. We are basically told we cannot argue exam grades or even simply ask questions without having your positive interview benchmark being negative. One of our professors this semester is even not allowed to write her own exams and none of the material lines up and so we are all struggling. After contacting the dean about this information NOTHING has happened, the issues at hand continue. You all are adults and can make your own decision regarding this information, but I thought it important to at least inform you all. Thank you for your time.
Yo this is an old thread but I'm a current MABS student rn struggling not just to get benchmarks but to pass (and I'm surely not alone on this)?? I wished I listened to your advice and didn't join this program last year when I was accepted. It has done more harm than good to my GPA and MCAT... now have to take another gap yr and in debt. Big sigh!

Last edited:
This is quite concerning, if it was just them increasing the marks for the benchmark, then they would have only done that. But since they added the "positive interview" aspect to this benchmark, it is most definitely no longer a guaranteed acceptance even after obtaining the MCAT scores and GPA. For example; If it was still guaranteed acceptance, what would be the point of an interview after obtaining the required MCAT scores and gpa of the benchmark? Quite unnecessary honestly and a waste of everyone's time.

Normally I wouldn't mind the change in the policy, but as the previous poster mentioned, they switched their policy/ agreement with their current students during the semester instead of the normal/professional way of doing things such as a change terms after the last semester of their current students' finishes. One thing I look at more than anything is how programs treat their students. This is a complete red flag to me and is quite unprofessional as heck.

Another thing is if they are saying one thing but their website does not reflect their words that they are actually saying to the current applicants then that is too another red flag, as it is misleading. Keep in mind program directors can and or may say anything to get you to stay (if accepted) and pay that lump sum called tuition.

All in all, this program now sounds shadier than the current top 3 Caribbean schools. *withdraws app*

Y'all take care.
You actually did a smart move and saved yourself. I wish I was not so blindsided... a good amount of us have some regrets now

Last edited:
Hey, I know this is an older thread but I am applying this cycle and wanted some feedback!

Are there any past or current students on this thread that have studied for the MCAT during the program and were able to meet the benchmarks?

Hi! I am a current in-person MABS student. I retook my MCAT over winter break while taking this program. It was certainly a challenge but I was able to bring my score up 13 points. I found the courses from the beginning to be pretty helpful for the MCAT. Especially since I had a weaker background in biochem. I am still meeting benchmarks this semester as well! Its very challenging and more effort than I've had to ever put in before with studying. But medical school will be much harder and I feel this program has prepared be to be a much more successful medical student than I would have been without it. I will say there are professors you will love and some maybe not so much. But it will be that way no matter where you go. The bottom line is it is your job as a student to make sure you know the material that is presented to you. The professors are all there to help you. This program is do-able.