VCOM/ BLUEFIELD MABS program 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Current MABS student here! I just wanted to offer my own anecdotal experience with the MABS program: Honestly? Its been Overwhelmingly Positive. YES this program is hard. YES it can understandably feel overwhelming at times. But for what its worth, if I had been straight Accepted from the last year’s application cycle’s waitlist into VCOM instead of being Accepted this year from the in-person MABS program: I would have 100% felt more unprepared for my first year of med school than anticipated from having NOT gone through this program first, and would have more than likely have flunked out by now. While the MABS program teaches you at a FAR higher level than Undergraduate classes (as to be expected from a Master’s Program offering a potential for Guaranteed Acceptance), the program will definitely prepare you immensely for Block 1 by teaching you the same subjects taught by the SAME VCOM professors themselves to the OMS-1 students at the VCOM campus. While yes, the argument can be made that we in the MABS program have to meet that high benchmark GPA while the VCOM students do not necessarily, (“C = MD/ DO” as some say), It is definitely NOT Impossible for us. The rigors of this program taught me that I COULD NOT study & procrastinate like I had in Undergrad to fly by and that I needed to be flexible with changing/learning new study habits if something wasn’t feasibly “clicking”. I learned to be accountable for my actions and Inactions. I found reliable friends to struggle together with. And yet, we’re still making it. Again, anecdotal, but I for one had a 4.0 in the Fall Semester and am STILL maintaining a tentative 4.0 this Spring Semester.

The professors for the most part are great and friendly, but all of them definitely WANT you to succeed. All of them are more than willing to even provide you their own constructed study guides/lecture notes/practice mock questions/ exam reviews and other resources to help you prepare for their exams. This, along with openly communicating with the professors, gives you an idea of exactly what key things they’re expecting you to take away from their lectures and their thought processes to their exam questions. This program is definitely tough, especially this Spring semester where the subject material is for sure DENSE and challenging: But again, it is NOT impossible.

I will however STRONGLY advise you to have that MCAT benchmark already in the bag. The higher you have that MCAT score BEFORE this program, the better. The professors and program lectures will only test you on subjects from Block 1 classes hence: There is only Some MCAT material overlap at best, and you will have to study and prepare for the MCAT on your own time. I am personally thankful for being fortunate enough to hit that bare minimum MCAT score of 496, but quite a few of the people struggling in this program seem to be individuals who are unfortunate enough to be trying to study for this program AS WELL AS simultaneously trying to study for the MCAT. This program is tough. And you WILL have an especially rough time trying to juggle both if that MCAT benchmark is not there already.

But anyways: I apologize for the long post and congratulations to anyone who has made it this far. I hope my personal experience provides you all another perspective. That while the program is definitely tough, it is definitely not all doom and gloom. And I am not the only odd exception. Regardless, I sincerely feel that I and everyone else through this program will in the end all become better prepared Doctors from this. You are all more capable than you know. Hope this helps and good luck to you all!
Do you know anything about OMABS? ?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok guys, I'm gonna tell the truth about this program that many may not wanna hear. Like other SMPs out there, I suggest you save your money and don't let yourself go through this. Why? We have many students in the classroom struggling to meet benchmarks in the spring even if they made it for fall benchmarks! Spring semester is so much harder and quite honestly, MABS feels like the hunger games! Very little students actually matriculate directly into VCOM and the rest are left with potentially taking another gap year and looking into other schools and fields. PLEASE take this as a warning and with a grain of salt. If you already have a good GPA and a bad MCAT score, do not take this program... you're better off retaking the MCAT! These classes are medical school classes with a high standard! Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm just giving my two cents. Peace out!
Hi!! Can I pm you? I have a question based on what you mentioned. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know anything about OMABS? ?
No, I’m sorry to say that I unfortunately don’t know anything about/can’t speak for anything about the OMABS program. I can only speak from my own experiences from the In-Person MABS program.

Got the "A" today. Will be declining it. MCAT 51x, GPA 3.x My current cycle got impacted due to a late letter of recommendation (COVID).

Last edited:
I was accepted today too! not sure how i’m feeling on it lol

What's your game plan?
The program is basically for borderline students who want to step up. 3.x is a pretty wide range. If you are on the higher end I am not sure I'd consider it, but on the lower end I would. The biggest deal, like everyone else said, is having the MCAT done at the highest bracket is a MUST imo. You seem to have that in the bag.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. My application just got verified today. How long after the application was verified did you hear back?

I've heard there are some changes being implemented for acceptance to their medical schools this upcoming year. Can anyone tell me what they're changing and how it will affect the upcoming class?

1. Can any current student on this thread give input on life outside of studying and classes? Do people have time to work/get clinical experiences during the program or does this program make it really difficult to do anything else besides studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard there are some changes being implemented for acceptance to their medical schools this upcoming year. Can anyone tell me what they're changing and how it will affect the upcoming class?

1. Can any current student on this thread give input on life outside of studying and classes? Do people have time to work/get clinical experiences during the program or does this program make it really difficult to do anything else besides studying?
The most you can have is up to you. We have students working out and hanging out with each other every once and a while, but things like additional clinical experiences and a job is highly not advised......

How are the exams set up? How many questions on average and are they multiple choice?

How are the exams set up? How many questions on average and are they multiple choice?
Number of exam questions vary depending on subject and density of material, but typically consist of ~6-12 lectures per exam. Usually about ~5 questions per lecture. Exams are spread out throughout the semester. Generally speaking, NO cumulative exams and all are multiple choice.

Number of exam questions vary depending on subject and density of material, but typically consist of ~6-12 lectures per exam. Usually about ~5 questions per lecture. Exams are spread out throughout the semester. Generally speaking, NO cumulative exams and all are multiple choice.
^ Right. The only fully non-MC exam was from the fall semester for Health Policy (mix of MC and writing). The written portion is usually emphasized in the study guide and thank goodness it was one of the easier classes...

Are there any past or current students on this thread that have studied for the MCAT during the program and were able to meet the benchmarks?

Are there any past or current students on this thread that have studied for the MCAT during the program and were able to meet the benchmarks?
Varies...... Some students studied during the program and didn't increase or did worse on the MCAT. Others did well enough on the MCAT and met benchmarks, but the possibility of losing your seat due to semester grades can still happen. Hit or miss and there's scenarios for everything

Hi! I am a current in-person MABS student. I retook my MCAT over winter break while taking this program. It was certainly a challenge but I was able to bring my score up 13 points. I found the courses from the beginning to be pretty helpful for the MCAT. Especially since I had a weaker background in biochem. I am still meeting benchmarks this semester as well! Its very challenging and more effort than I've had to ever put in before with studying. But medical school will be much harder and I feel this program has prepared be to be a much more successful medical student than I would have been without it. I will say there are professors you will love and some maybe not so much. But it will be that way no matter where you go. The bottom line is it is your job as a student to make sure you know the material that is presented to you. The professors are all there to help you. This program is do-able.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn’t find out about this program until February and I submitted my application March 25th. I feel that’s it late to apply with the deadline being April 15th. Has anyone submitted their application close to the deadline and still got in and when did you get accepted?
I also have a question regarding the application process. My application was verified by PostBacCAS March 29th. Now that it’s verified how long does it take to get a response on whether it’s under review or final review?
Have you heard back from VCOM?

I’m thinking of doing this program online due to relocation reason. Any thoughts on the online MABS program?

I’m thinking of doing this program online due to relocation reason. Any thoughts on the online MABS program?
Being accepted to the med school via benchmarks is not the same for online. The online program only gives you an interview. It’s bs.

Being accepted to the med school via benchmarks is not the same for online. The online program only gives you an interview. It’s bs.
Yes I understand that. But is the online program organized and good as the in person one

All good! I just now feel bad because I don't want to make it out to seem like it's impossible to matriculate. Forgive my bitterness. I'm still upset though to be struggling. This hasn't happened before for me in school, but I hope I at least pass well by the time I graduate from mabs......

Classes are generally from 8am-12pm still, but since the content in the subjects are a lot more dense with no easy cushion classes like last semetser, a few of us are drowning trying to study back to back every week for the next exams. I find myself not done studying and rushing the morning off for a quick review. It's definitely a time to reevaluate time management skills tbh
Hi do you know roughly how many students from your class met the benchmarks and are matriculating to VCOM? How many students out of your total class?

Meant to ask this question sooner, those of you who have met the current benchmarks for studying the material did you find that you needed to supplement the lectures with third-party resources to understand/ do well on tests, or where the information/practice questions provided by the professor enough for you to do well? I thought I should ask since it seems that the lecture mirrors those who are in medical school and I always hear about medical students using third-party resources.
Also was anki a valuable tool that anyone used during this program?

Thanks in advance!

Meant to ask this question sooner, those of you who have met the current benchmarks for studying the material did you find that you needed to supplement the lectures with third-party resources to understand/ do well on tests, or where the information/practice questions provided by the professor enough for you to do well? I thought I should ask since it seems that the lecture mirrors those who are in medical school and I always hear about medical students using third-party resources.
Also was anki a valuable tool that anyone used during this program?

Thanks in advance!
Hi! For me at least, I personally felt that a vast majority of the time the lectures & supplementary materials provided by the professors were more than enough! The professors for the most part are pretty well versed in their fields and pretty open to any questions lol But third party resources CAN be helpful if needed! I’ve used a few myself if I felt the need to think about things in a different way, but rarely felt the need to otherwise.

As far as Anki: I personally did not like Anki, so I did not use it at all and still managed to maintain a 4.0 vs. my study buddy who LIVED by Anki and also got a 4.0 so take from that what you will! Just comes down to what clicks with your OWN personal study habits so be sure to be flexible! I will say however that, for some classes, my friend “was forced to switch it up” and therefore could NOT use Anki due to needing to connect big picture concepts and switched to making study guides instead for those rare occasions. But otherwise he ultimately preferred to use Anki but again it really just depends on what clicks best for you!

Hope this helps!

Hey y'all! I just got accepted into the MABS program for Illinois campus. I was also accepted to Touro's MSMHS program as well. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on which program one would go with?
Illinois campus?

Can you please elaborate on the style of exam questions? Was it more board-style questions (ie. patient case presented) or was it more straightforward multiple-choice (ie. discreet)?
Did the questions generally require 1st, 2nd, or 3rd order thinking?
Are the exam questions straightforward or are they meant to trick you (like the MCAT)?

^ Right. The only fully non-MC exam was from the fall semester for Health Policy (mix of MC and writing). The written portion is usually emphasized in the study guide and thank goodness it was one of the easier classes...
Can you please elaborate on the style of exam questions? Was it more board-style questions (ie. patient case presented) or was it more straightforward multiple-choice (ie. discreet)?
Are the exam questions straightforward or are they meant to trick you (like the MCAT)?

Question styles are varied depending on the class and specific professor’s preferences! Generally, they are pretty straightforward but some of the more traditionally challenging courses (Ex: Immunology and Microbiology) may utilize more 2nd and 3rd order board style questions. Might be asking you “what is most likely the cause of a patient that is presenting with X and Y, etc.“

Regardless of the class, I personally felt that NONE of the professors were out to trick you. Even if questions were board style and meant to be challenging, studying sufficiently and reasoning through questions I felt were enough. However Key General rule of thumb: NEVER change your answer choice once its chosen, assuming you read it through correctly. If you second guess yourself, you will Always sike yourself out of the right answer. Every. Single. Time.

Study well, study hard, and attend the exam reviews before test day!! Many professors offer exam reviews (or practice exams) to go over their style of exam questioning and clarify any key topics that will be tested/answer any burning questions you may have. Highly recommend that you attend those as well^

Study well, study hard, and attend the exam reviews before test day!! Many professors offer exam reviews (or practice exams) to go over their style of exam questioning and clarify any key topics that will be tested/answer any burning questions you may have. Highly recommend that you attend those as well^
do you mind if i pm you?

It's a mix of both straightforward and board-style based on the class. I agree with the poster above about how some classes are more challenging than others. 3rd order thinking comes up a lot, so be prepared for that.
Hi do you know roughly how many students from your class met the benchmarks and are matriculating to VCOM? How many students out of your total class?
Dude I wished I knew the stats on who got in vs. not since I'm not sure if they are allowed to give that info to us? I know specifically this year, a lot of students were under even a 3.5 but some had to write a letter to the dean of their perspective VCOM schools to gain a seat. It was a rough semester overall, but some made it at the nick of time while others are now trying to reapply, etc. There's a scenario for everything

It's a mix of both straightforward and board-style based on the class. I agree with the poster above about how some classes are more challenging than others. 3rd order thinking comes up a lot, so be prepared for that.

Dude I wished I knew the stats on who got in vs. not since I'm not sure if they are allowed to give that info to us? I know specifically this year, a lot of students were under even a 3.5 but some had to write a letter to the dean of their perspective VCOM schools to gain a seat. It was a rough semester overall, but some made it at the nick of time while others are now trying to reapply, etc. There's a scenario for everything
I called Sheila Ballard and she told me last year 56% matriculated into vcom, idk if that's any indication for this year.

Hey! I got accepted to the program last week! I've heard some not-so-great things about the spring semester, especially the immunology course. Is the course and professor that bad that it's causing many students to not meet their benchmark for the spring semester and lose their seat? How did you study for immunology, and do you have any tips that could help us out with the new professor?

Also, are the lectures in the google drive for immunology from the older professor, or is it updated with the new professor's lectures?