VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 month sublease that can turn into a 12 month lease!! These modern townhouses are located in Christiansburg which is only 10 minute from Vtech and 2 min from grocery stores. It is in a quiet and safe area, on a small hill. 3 bed/2.5 bath. Rent is $1350 + utilities. Move in date is on June 1. Please DM if you are interested.

The link has more details about where the property is located, and what it looks like.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting in here to see if anyone attending MABS in the fall is interested in buying a box spring + mattress and a dresser during late May/early June. PM if in need or interested!

I have a nice studying desk and a metal bed frame along with a mattress. They were purchased from Amazon. Used for less than a year, pet and smoke free home. Available mid to late May or early June! I can provide you with Amazon links if interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends,

To say that I am disheartened by the attitude of some of the current MABS class would be an understatement; I am sure you are all aware of the current grumblings. To follow is a word of encouragement and truth for future MABS students; but first, let me introduce myself.

I am a current MABS student. I blew it in undergrad (<3.2 GPA; 490 MCAT) but knew I had untapped potential. I put everything I had into the MABS program and was able to add 10 points to my MCAT score as well as make straight A’s and secure a future with VCOM. No, the semester is not over, but I still have straight A’s and plan to keep it that way so I look forward to a future with my soon-to-be VCOM family.

Allow me to make four points that expound on the last few encouraging posts from my fellow classmates.

First: This is very important so please tune in—you are going to face adversity in any program you choose. I don’t care where you go—life is hard and it is uncertain. Do not be discouraged by the grumblings of some of the current MABS students. Going to graduate school is about getting comfortable being uncomfortable. As they say, if you cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Second: *hard truth alert* The MABS program is not designed to get anyone into medical school; rather, it is designed to reach deep within your soul, bring to the surface the student that you know you can be, and remove the old student never to be seen again. MABS does this through differentiation of three types of students:

1) Good students who are, deep down, medical school material but who did not perform well in past academic experiences due to distractions or a lack of motivation (this was me). These students simply need another opportunity to prove themselves.
2) Good students who may not be medical student material but still work hard.
3) Bad students who do not take ownership of their shortcomings and instead look outside of themselves to place blame. These students expect life to be handed to them without doing the necessary work. read: getting a low GPA does NOT make you a bad student.

Your GPA and evaluation is what is going to be used for this differentiation (obviously the MCAT, as well, but the MCAT requirement is low enough that it should be a non-factor, in my opinion). I will repeat, and please hear me when I say, that a low GPA does not make you a bad student. If you don’t pull mostly A’s in this program, it does not mean you are a bad student—you may be a very good student but medical school is not for you. That being said, this program is not designed to be the easy path. It is simply a different path. Honestly, my life would have been a whole lot easier if I had reached my academic potential in undergrad—alas, that was not the case but I don’t lose sleep over it and neither should you if you are in my boat. Accept your failures and learn from them (which is the beauty of this program).

Third: Yes, we had to have an interview during winter break and this was a surprise. Unexpected? Yes. Medicine will be filled with unexpected scenarios that will certainly be life-or-death and you will have to navigate them. This was not one of those scenarios. It was more of a glorified meet-and-greet than an interview. Admins called it an “evaluation”, anyway, so you basically just had to prove to the interviewer that you have a heart for people and demonstrate good moral fiber. It was extremely laid back and not stressful. I didn’t even prepare for it because I knew its purpose and was not worried. Remember that this program is a wholistic evaluation of your character, academic ability, and critical thinking—all vital components in the building of a physician. If you nail those parts, you have nothing to worry about.

Fourth: Yes, the administrators increased the GPA requirement to get into VCOM. They did this not with malicious (contrary to the belief of some of my classmates) but good intent. They found that students who earned a GPA that was just good enough for benchmarks were performing poorly later on at VCOM (this reflects poorly on both VCOM and the MABS program, as well as puts undue stress on students that are not well-suited for medical school). Increasing the GPA requirement makes it less likely that these students will be accepted and, ultimately, is good for everyone. When I hear my classmates complain about increased benchmarks, all I hear is ‘why are they making it harder for me to get into medical school?’ Life is hard. If you are going to start this program, know that there are no handouts—here or in life. Work hard, and you will be rewarded. When I heard that the benchmarks were increased, my instinct was to put my nose to the grindstone and make sure I made the grades. It worked well for me last semester and has continued to work well this semester. I firmly believe if everyone else did the same thing, there would be no reason to draft this post.

All of this being said, no matter what post undergraduate program you choose, you are gambling; however, the good thing is that you are gambling on yourself. Unlike in prototypical gambling, YOU control the major variables—how you react to setbacks, how you manage your time, how you monitor your study methods, how hard you work, how well you work with others (and so many more things). You want to gamble on yourself because absolutely the only thing you can control is yourself. I have had a wonderful experience in this program because it is not contingent upon my professors or the admins. It is, and always will be, contingent upon how I conduct myself. I am confident that if you take ownership and exert control over yourself, you will do well in this program and I will see you in the big house next summer when you start your journey as an OMS-I.

Please PM me if you have any concerns about MABS, life before/between medical school, or literally anything else. I will be happy to alleviate your worries about these things!

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Friends,

To say that I am disheartened by the attitude of some of the current MABS class would be an understatement; I am sure you are all aware of the current grumblings. To follow is a word of encouragement and truth for future MABS students; but first, let me introduce myself.

I am a current MABS student. I blew it in undergrad (<3.2 GPA; 490 MCAT) but knew I had untapped potential. I put everything I had into the MABS program and was able to add 10 points to my MCAT score as well as make straight A’s and secure a future with VCOM. No, the semester is not over, but I still have straight A’s and plan to keep it that way so I look forward to a future with my soon-to-be VCOM family.

Allow me to make four points that expound on the last few encouraging posts from my fellow classmates.

First: This is very important so please tune in—you are going to face adversity in any program you choose. I don’t care where you go—life is hard and it is uncertain. Do not be discouraged by the grumblings of some of the current MABS students. Going to graduate school is about getting comfortable being uncomfortable. As they say, if you cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Second: *hard truth alert* The MABS program is not designed to get anyone into medical school; rather, it is designed to reach deep within your soul, bring to the surface the student that you know you can be, and remove the old student never to be seen again. MABS does this through differentiation of three types of students:

1) Good students who are, deep down, medical school material but who did not perform well in past academic experiences due to distractions or a lack of motivation (this was me). These students simply need another opportunity to prove themselves.
2) Good students who may not be medical student material but still work hard.
3) Bad students who do not take ownership of their shortcomings and instead look outside of themselves to place blame. These students expect life to be handed to them without doing the necessary work. read: getting a low GPA does NOT make you a bad student.

Your GPA and evaluation is what is going to be used for this differentiation (obviously the MCAT, as well, but the MCAT requirement is low enough that it should be a non-factor, in my opinion). I will repeat, and please hear me when I say, that a low GPA does not make you a bad student. If you don’t pull mostly A’s in this program, it does not mean you are a bad student—you may be a very good student but medical school is not for you. That being said, this program is not designed to be the easy path. It is simply a different path. Honestly, my life would have been a whole lot easier if I had reached my academic potential in undergrad—alas, that was not the case but I don’t lose sleep over it and neither should you if you are in my boat. Accept your failures and learn from them (which is the beauty of this program).

Third: Yes, we had to have an interview during winter break and this was a surprise. Unexpected? Yes. Medicine will be filled with unexpected scenarios that will certainly be life-or-death and you will have to navigate them. This was not one of those scenarios. It was more of a glorified meet-and-greet than an interview. Admins called it an “evaluation”, anyway, so you basically just had to prove to the interviewer that you have a heart for people and demonstrate good moral fiber. It was extremely laid back and not stressful. I didn’t even prepare for it because I knew its purpose and was not worried. Remember that this program is a wholistic evaluation of your character, academic ability, and critical thinking—all vital components in the building of a physician. If you nail those parts, you have nothing to worry about.

Fourth: Yes, the administrators increased the GPA requirement to get into VCOM. They did this not with malicious (contrary to the belief of some of my classmates) but good intent. They found that students who earned a GPA that was just good enough for benchmarks were performing poorly later on at VCOM (this reflects poorly on both VCOM and the MABS program, as well as puts undue stress on students that are not well-suited for medical school). Increasing the GPA requirement makes it less likely that these students will be accepted and, ultimately, is good for everyone. When I hear my classmates complain about increased benchmarks, all I hear is ‘why are they making it harder for me to get into medical school?’ Life is hard. If you are going to start this program, know that there are no handouts—here or in life. Work hard, and you will be rewarded. When I heard that the benchmarks were increased, my instinct was to put my nose to the grindstone and make sure I made the grades. It worked well for me last semester and has continued to work well this semester. I firmly believe if everyone else did the same thing, there would be no reason to draft this post.

All of this being said, no matter what post undergraduate program you choose, you are gambling; however, the good thing is that you are gambling on yourself. Unlike in prototypical gambling, YOU control the major variables—how you react to setbacks, how you manage your time, how you monitor your study methods, how hard you work, how well you work with others (and so many more things). You want to gamble on yourself because absolutely the only thing you can control is yourself. I have had a wonderful experience in this program because it is not contingent upon my professors or the admins. It is, and always will be, contingent upon how I conduct myself. I am confident that if you take ownership and exert control over yourself, you will do well in this program and I will see you in the big house next summer when you start your journey as an OMS-I.

Please PM me if you have any concerns about MABS, life before/between medical school, or literally anything else. I will be happy to alleviate your worries about these thing
This is truly an amazing post. I hope more prospective students read this and take it to heart.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
As a current student who made benchmarks and received an acceptance (I will be going elsewhere), the issues doesn’t reside with the rigor of academics but with the administrations complete disrespect and disregard toward their MABS students. The dean is constantly being fed complaint after complaint and not even pondering them let alone doing anything about them. If you are okay with a program that has little to no support or regard for its students and doesn’t care how you’re doing and you just want the ride to med school, then do it. But there are plenty of other programs that offer a guaranteed interview that this one simply isn’t worth it if you want to feel valued as a person and a student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

In response to the latest post by 123med123​

Interestingly, I am unable to empathize with you as I have not felt disregarded or unsupported by our administration in any way. I would posit that the reason our dean is not addressing the many student complaints is three-fold:

1) They know that most of the complaints are unfounded.
2) There are many complaints that cannot be addressed, owing to pandemic related constraints.
3) It is the student's job to learn in the setting provided by the institution. The student does not have the luxury of changing aspects of a program for the sake of ease (in the same vein, one will not have the luxury as a physician to change aspects of the way in which the hospital for which one works is operated).

A graduate student is expected to act with a greater degree of independence than their former undergraduate self. In the setting of a pandemic, this amounts to what I observe to be a false sense of deficient support. If it is of any consolation to prospective students, I believe that our administration is doing the best they can (with what they had to start with) to run this program during a pandemic.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Interestingly, I am unable to empathize with you as I have not felt disregarded or unsupported by our administration in any way. I would posit that the reason our dean is not addressing the many student complaints is three-fold:

2) There are many complaints that cannot be addressed, owing to pandemic related constraints.
3) It is the student's job to learn in the setting provided by the institution. The student does not have the luxury of changing aspects of a program for the sake of ease (in the same vein, one will not have the luxury as a physician to change aspects of the way in which the hospital for which one works is operated).

A graduate student is expected to act with a greater degree of independence than their former undergraduate self. In the setting of a pandemic, this amounts to what I observe to be a false sense of deficient support. If it is of any consolation to prospective students, I believe that our administration is doing the best they can (with what they had to start with) to run this program during a pandemic.
All I’m saying is I bet you don’t see multiple current students in other postbacc threads sharing a common theme of feeling disrespected by admin...

It's also unfounded to think other student's concerns aren't valid because you believe that they aren't working hard enough. some may not be, but I can guarantee that some of them are. I wouldn't categorize them all together as it gives off the same disregard that some students may feel by admin. This thread should be for providing prospective students with accurate information from individual student perspectives. I support your post and I also support the posts of others who have had alternative experiences.

Reactions: 7 users
Also a student, I also met the benchmark with a 4.0 GPA and will not be going to VCOM due to the continued treatment received by this program. This program has great professors and does want us to succeed in class; however, the program itself was going through so many changes. Handbook has changed and their website changed to cover up things. The interview was not supposed to be conducted, yet we had an interview.

We also had some teachers who didn't even know when our exam days were and leaving out information that was on the exam so questions had to be dropped because it was not covered by the professor. We had a professor who wouldn't respond to our questions until after exams. These concerns were brought to the dean, but nothing was done. The dean sent an email to the professor after we have already taken 3/5 exams and by that time, most people's average was so low that it could not be brought up even if we made 100's. I understand that we will not be failing the class if we got 100's but not receiving an A what we need if we are required to meet a 3.6 GPA.

All in all, good luck to those attending. Just keep your head down and do your best.

Reactions: 6 users
4.0 student here on track for another 4.0. My advice for the incoming students is that if this is your last shot, and you don't have any other options, don't run from the program. Take the good and bad experiences of the current students and be prepared to work. You have the advantage over us now knowing what can happen. Never take anything lightly in the program even if it is advertised as such, and be prepared to adapt. Learn how to find other sources to learn concepts outside the professor. Overprepare for everything. Know yourself and what your purpose is. You will succeed. DM me if there's anything you want to speak about.

Reactions: 8 users
For my accepted friends:

Join the FB group created :) Would love to see all of you in there and start making connections early.

Just resurfacing the Facebook page for people to join!

Just got in today! So excited :) Spent the last 3 years here at VT, hopefully 5 more!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4.0 student here on track for another 4.0. My advice for the incoming students is that if this is your last shot, and you don't have any other options, don't run from the program. Take the good and bad experiences of the current students and be prepared to work. You have the advantage over us now knowing what can happen. Never take anything lightly in the program even if it is advertised as such, and be prepared to adapt. Learn how to find other sources to learn concepts outside the professor. Overprepare for everything. Know yourself and what your purpose is. You will succeed. DM me if there's anything you want to speak about.
Hi, do you mind if I PM you?

Reactions: 1 user
To current students, do you think classes in this program helped you to improve your MCAT score ?

Accepted today! My application was placed in final review on 3/17. 🎉

Reactions: 2 users
How long does it take for VCOM to put application under final review?
I applied on April 15.

If anyone is looking to rent furniture for the MABS year CORT furniture is pretty useful. I used them because there's no way to for sure which of the 4 campuses VCOM will place you in after successfully completing the program, so renting is easier than buying. Here is the info and my referral code in case anyone is interested. They have student deals.

"Share your referral code with friends and students!
Send them to cort.com/student. They’ll enter your
referral code when they lease from CORT."

"When your friend uses your code to rent
furniture from CORT, you both receive
$50 Visa® gift cards."

My referral code: 1208484

How long does it take for VCOM to put application under final review?
I applied on April 15.
It ranges from 4-8 weeks to hear back. For me, it took practically 5 weeks to reach final review. To put things into perspective, here are my timelines:

Application transfer: Jan 20
Final Review: Feb 26
Acceptance: March 17

Since the program starts in July, I would look into things to get done first if you are hoping to get in this cycle (ex. apartment hunting, school supplies, and most importantly, signing up for FAFSA now before knowing results). Once you get an acceptance, you'll have to get some immunization and health forms signed by your primary care physician too. I would worry about that then, just giving you a heads up. If you have any further questions, let me know. Wishing you the best of luck!

And congrats to those recent new students accepted! Looking forward for the near future

It ranges from 4-8 weeks to hear back. For me, it took practically 5 weeks to reach final review. To put things into perspective, here are my timelines:

Application transfer: Jan 20
Final Review: Feb 26
Acceptance: March 17

Since the program starts in July, I would look into things to get done first if you are hoping to get in this cycle (ex. apartment hunting, school supplies, and most importantly, signing up for FAFSA now before knowing results). Once you get an acceptance, you'll have to get some immunization and health forms signed by your primary care physician too. I would worry about that then, just giving you a heads up. If you have any further questions, let me know. Wishing you the best of luck!

And congrats to those recent new students accepted! Looking forward for the near future
Do you know if they ever allow students to start the second semester or to delay entrance until the following year ?

Do you know if they ever allow students to start the second semester or to delay entrance until the following year ?
I know that you can't just start the second semester and have to begin with the fall class, but I am not sure if they can delay entrances. That's something you can ask via email to Alisa Hewitt ([email protected]) and/or Sheila Ballard ([email protected]). Good luck!

I know that you can't just start the second semester and have to begin with the fall class, but I am not sure if they can delay entrances. That's something you can ask via email to Alisa Hewitt ([email protected]) and/or Sheila Ballard ([email protected]). Good luck!
Thank you ! I’ve also heard that they are looking at some online options for this coming year due to COVID have you also heard of anything like that ?

Thank you ! I’ve also heard that they are looking at some online options for this coming year due to COVID have you also heard of anything like that ?
No problem! And yes, I have heard from current students that this upcoming class will also experience online lectures and just coming in for exams (and perhaps labs?). So like a hybrid

No problem! And yes, I have heard from current students that this upcoming class will also experience online lectures and just coming in for exams (and perhaps labs?). So like a hybrid
Thank you !

Hey guys!

I had my application transferred from VCOM DO to the MABS program and the transfer was completed on 4/19 and today I got the email that my application is now under "final review." I am assuming the volume of applicants may be low as I was reading earlier comments saying they had a 5 week turnaround.

Does anyone know if the MABS program is full at this point?

Hey guys!

I had my application transferred from VCOM DO to the MABS program and the transfer was completed on 4/19 and today I got the email that my application is now under "final review." I am assuming the volume of applicants may be low as I was reading earlier comments saying they had a 5 week turnaround.

Congrats on already reaching final review! Yeah, seems like it is faster since it's near the end of the applicant pool. I am not too sure, but I think the program is not full yet. I knew of some ppl in previous years who got accepted in June! All the best to you!

Congrats on already reaching final review! Yeah, seems like it is faster since it's near the end of the applicant pool. I am not too sure, but I think the program is not full yet. I knew of some ppl in previous years who got accepted in June! All the best to you!
Thank you for the insight! Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, fingers crossed!

Hey guys!

You and I are tracking about the same . My transfer was completed 4/20 and I got the email about the final review today.

May I ask what made you want to switch over to the MABS rather than going forward with the DO program directly?? Or what your stats looked like if you don’t mind sharing

May I ask what made you want to switch over to the MABS rather than going forward with the DO program directly?? Or what your stats looked like if you don’t mind sharing
Sure thing! I actually was still waiting for an interview in January even though I submitted my secondary in early September. I called the dean of admissions and asked about my application status. They gave me two options: continue waiting or just transfer to MABS. Although I had a high 3.9 GPA, I took the MCAT three times and all of them were under 500, plus I have been out of school for almost three years (despite graduating college 1.5 years early). To them, that was still a risk considering this competitive applicant pool this year, so I made the decision to withdraw and transfer to MABS to avoid waiting another year and reapplying. I personally think that this program would help me be an even better student and really experience the rigor of medicine before fully going in directly. I look forward to finally starting my medical journey this way. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me as well. All the best to you!

Questions to current MABS students matriculating into VCOM soon: Did you use Boards & Beyond or any other outside video resources to help you with your courses? I keep hearing ppl use this a lot for their first two years of med school for the boards, but is it helpful to start early and use it in MABS to better understand a concept? Let me know! Thanks

Questions to current MABS students matriculating into VCOM soon: Did you use Boards & Beyond or any other outside video resources to help you with your courses? I keep hearing ppl use this a lot for their first two years of med school for the boards, but is it helpful to start early and use it in MABS to better understand a concept? Let me know! Thanks
I personally used quizlet and I know lots of people used Anki. However, I didn’t see the need to use med school resources since exams were straight from the PowerPoints.

• Love
You and I are tracking about the same . My transfer was completed 4/20 and I got the email about the final review today.
It's possible we could get our decisions around the same time. Good luck to you!

Hey guys!

It's possible we could get our decisions around the same time. Good luck to you!
Yes I think it’s likely we will ! Good luck to you as well .

The exams are straight from lecture, but the lecture will not always be sufficient for your understanding. You will need to use extra-lecture resources to gain this understanding. There are lots out there on youtube. I actually pay for one called Lecturio but only because it has all the videos and such that I could need and they always cover treatment protocols at the end of the videos so I just stop when they start covering treatment. None of the premade materials will be useful for this program because they are specific to med school curriculum. You will need to make your own study materials (read: anki).

• Care
Sure thing! I actually was still waiting for an interview in January even though I submitted my secondary in early September. I called the dean of admissions and asked about my application status. They gave me two options: continue waiting or just transfer to MABS. Although I had a high 3.9 GPA, I took the MCAT three times and all of them were under 500, plus I have been out of school for almost three years (despite graduating college 1.5 years early). To them, that was still a risk considering this competitive applicant pool this year, so I made the decision to withdraw and transfer to MABS to avoid waiting another year and reapplying. I personally think that this program would help me be an even better student and really experience the rigor of medicine before fully going in directly. I look forward to finally starting my medical journey this way. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me as well. All the best to you!
Thanks for that information!! I completely understand not wanting to wait another year. My application went into final review April 20th so crossing fingers and hoping to hear back around the end of May!

• Care
Thanks for that information!! I completely understand not wanting to wait another year. My application went into final review April 20th so crossing fingers and hoping to hear back around the end of May!
Mine went into final review on the 20th as well !

any idea how many acceptances have been issued for this program? Trying to figure out my chances since I applied the last day applications were due.

any idea how many acceptances have been issued for this program? Trying to figure out my chances since I applied the last day applications were due.
Not sure how many acceptances were given out this year, but the class size caps at 120 students. I know of some ppl in previous years who got accepted in June, so fingers crossed you guys hear back! Best of luck!

Anyone have any suggestions for two bedroom apartments that are relatively near the campus?? I loved the crossing at knollwood but it’s a little pricey for what I can afford.

I went into final review on 4/26 and haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know how long it takes to hear back once in final review?

I went into final review on 4/26 and haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know how long it takes to hear back once in final review?
I spoke with Alisa Hewitt a couple days ago and she said it usually take 4-6 weeks. It took 5 weeks for me hear about a decision but it might not be as long since they're nearing the end of the applicant pool.

Just got put on the waitlist. Does anyone know how likely it is to be taken off from previous years? They said I would hear back sometime in June but I just wanted an idea.

Just got put on the waitlist. Does anyone know how likely it is to be taken off from previous years? They said I would hear back sometime in June but I just wanted an idea.
Last year I was taken off the waitlist a week before the program starting. So they will accept you off till the very last minute. Just be prepared if they call you and you have to make arrangements very last minute.