VCOM/ BLUEFIELD MABS program 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! Did it take the full month for them to get back to you? Mine is in review now but I am hoping to hear back sooner than March! Congrats again!
After I was put under final review, I heard back 4 weeks later.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey do you guys know if they will offer an online version of the program this year like they did last year ?

Hey do you guys know if they will offer an online version of the program this year like they did last year ?
Yeah, I am sure OMABS is here to stay as a second option. You'll have to read up on the specific differences between OMABS and regular MABS though. I know for MABS, there are more benefits to finishing in a year and getting direct acceptance, but with OMABS, you can space it out more to your schedule but you'll be getting an interview among regular applicants instead. Just some things to consider!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I just had this class last semester, yes we had to write a paper but it was pretty easy and everyone's groups got A's. You're gonna love the research/biostats and health policy classes since they weren't hard sciences and saves the GPA lol

Let me just list the classes that involved papers/a poster (you work in assigned groups):
- Research/biostats = general manuscript
- Community healthy = paper
- Health policy = poster project
Does everyone have to write their own papers or is it a group paper?

Ok guys, I'm gonna tell the truth about this program that many may not wanna hear. Like other SMPs out there, I suggest you save your money and don't let yourself go through this. Why? We have many students in the classroom struggling to meet benchmarks in the spring even if they made it for fall benchmarks! Spring semester is so much harder and quite honestly, MABS feels like the hunger games! Very little students actually matriculate directly into VCOM and the rest are left with potentially taking another gap year and looking into other schools and fields. PLEASE take this as a warning and with a grain of salt. If you already have a good GPA and a bad MCAT score, do not take this program... you're better off retaking the MCAT! These classes are medical school classes with a high standard! Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm just giving my two cents. Peace out!

Ok guys, I'm gonna tell the truth about this program that many may not wanna hear. Like other SMPs out there, I suggest you save your money and don't let yourself go through this. Why? We have many students in the classroom struggling to meet benchmarks in the spring even if they made it for fall benchmarks! Spring semester is so much harder and quite honestly, MABS feels like the hunger games! Very little students actually matriculate directly into VCOM and the rest are left with potentially taking another gap year and looking into other schools and fields. PLEASE take this as a warning and with a grain of salt. If you already have a good GPA and a bad MCAT score, do not take this program... you're better off retaking the MCAT! These classes are medical school classes with a high standard! Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm just giving my two cents. Peace out!
I heard everyone who meets benchmarks gets in. Why do you say very few get in? I have seen the opposite on here. Just curious.

I heard everyone who meets benchmarks gets in. Why do you say very few get in? I have seen the opposite on here. Just curious.
I thought so too but we have a handful who met benchmarks in the fall semester but are struggling to maintain their spring semester GPA, unfortunately. It's just really rough lately and it didn't help that we've been on/off with our online and in-person classes due to covid. We're finally in the classroom though... Idk if that helps, but take it as you will

I thought so too but we have a handful who met benchmarks in the fall semester but are struggling to maintain their spring semester GPA, unfortunately. It's just really rough lately and it didn't help that we've been on/off with our online and in-person classes due to covid. We're finally in the classroom though... Idk if that helps, but take it as you will
There are people who struggle and fail every year. The program is supposed to be rigorous. I think my class had the historic record at the time of something like 65% of people matriculating into the program by Fall and 80% by Spring. It is HARD and you have to push yourself to the limit, but it's at the tradeoff of having a guaranteed acceptance. Telling people to save their money because you're not doing well isn't a fair shake of the program. There isn't an easier program that you're going to go through to get a guaranteed acceptance. If you can't handle the pressure of this program, I wouldn't be confident you could handle the pressure of medical school. I'm sorry it's happening to you, but the numbers are favorable for a majority of people that it's worth the chance.

Reactions: 2 users
There are people who struggle and fail every year. The program is supposed to be rigorous. I think my class had the historic record at the time of something like 65% of people matriculating into the program by Fall and 80% by Spring. It is HARD and you have to push yourself to the limit, but it's at the tradeoff of having a guaranteed acceptance. Telling people to save their money because you're not doing well isn't a fair shake of the program. There isn't an easier program that you're going to go through to get a guaranteed acceptance. If you can't handle the pressure of this program, I wouldn't be confident you could handle the pressure of medical school. I'm sorry it's happening to you, but the numbers are favorable for a majority of people that it's worth the chance.
Congrats to your class! I'm sorry to be speaking from my feelings, man. It's just me and a good amount of my peers have lost our chances just from this semester alone and I am surprised since some of them did reach fall benchmarks. I'm not saying it's impossible but it sure as heck the amount of rigor that was way beyond undergrad. That's why I say take it with a grain of salt. It WON'T be easy and this serves as a fair warning for anyone who wants to take the chance.

Yeah for me, I kinda lost my seat with my MCAT retake that ended up being lower than what I needed for benchmarks, unfortunately, but I plan to finish strong and hopefully reapply traditionally again next cycle. Even if it doesn't work out, doing well enough in this medical master's will open doors (esp. if you decide to reapply to this school or other schools)! I wish everyone good luck!
Do you admit that you wished you didn't join the program or you would've done things differently?

Really wished I took my MCAT retake earlier and got a 498 before starting the program. It would've made reaching the benchmarks more possible. And while I admit that the spring semester is definitely more rigorous and a lot of us struggle, that is on our own personal terms. Not everyone is the same, so I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from this program just because of the experiences of a few. Did I learn lots of life lessons? Absolutely. What will I take from this program moving forward? The knowledge to be an even better student, work on the MCAT again, and build up my application for the next cycle. There's always a next time if being a doctor is truly what you want. So whatever the outcomes from MABS, do not give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to your class! I'm sorry to be speaking from my feelings, man. It's just me and a good amount of my peers have lost our chances just from this semester alone and I am surprised since some of them did reach fall benchmarks. I'm not saying it's impossible but it sure as heck the amount of rigor that was way beyond undergrad. That's why I say take it with a grain of salt. It WON'T be easy and this serves as a fair warning for anyone who wants to take the chance.
Thank you for sharing your side. How much harder is the second semester compared to the first? and how so?

what is the schedule like for the second semester? Is it similar to the 1st semester where class are form 8am -12 pm?

Thank you for sharing your side. How much harder is the second semester compared to the first? and how so?
All good! I just now feel bad because I don't want to make it out to seem like it's impossible to matriculate. Forgive my bitterness. I'm still upset though to be struggling. This hasn't happened before for me in school, but I hope I at least pass well by the time I graduate from mabs......

Classes are generally from 8am-12pm still, but since the content in the subjects are a lot more dense with no easy cushion classes like last semetser, a few of us are drowning trying to study back to back every week for the next exams. I find myself not done studying and rushing the morning off for a quick review. It's definitely a time to reevaluate time management skills tbh

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I was looking to apply for the masters as I have a 496 MCAT and saw this: "4. While the MCAT is required to obtain admission to medical school, it is not required for admission to the Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences program; however, students who enter the program having already obtained an MCAT score of 496 or higher have an advantage in that they have already met the MCAT component of the benchmarks and can therefore focus solely on their coursework." Does this mean since I have a 496 MCAT I do not need to worry about retaking it and just need to worry about the 3.75-4.0 aspect of the admissions?

Hello everyone, I was looking to apply for the masters as I have a 496 MCAT and saw this: "4. While the MCAT is required to obtain admission to medical school, it is not required for admission to the Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences program; however, students who enter the program having already obtained an MCAT score of 496 or higher have an advantage in that they have already met the MCAT component of the benchmarks and can therefore focus solely on their coursework." Does this mean since I have a 496 MCAT I do not need to worry about retaking it and just need to worry about the 3.75-4.0 aspect of the admissions?
So I also thought this and had a 496. But if there's anything I wished I did differently was retake the MCAT prior to the program to get that 498 and be more "relaxed" at a lower GPA benchmark requirement. That was my situation since I had a 3.64 GPA in the fall and if only I had a 498, I would've received a seat. Instead, I retook the MCAT in January and ended up doing a little worse than my original 496 since studying over winter break was not enough for me. This program is very rigorous and it's actually hard to get the GPA (this is coming from someone who got a 3.9 GPA in college but is now praying for a 3.6 or 3.5 at this rate in MABS). I highly recommend you retake the MCAT again to save you the troubles and not be in my kind of situation, where now, I'm just trying to do well and get the master's (ultimately having to take another gap year now due to my MCAT and not matriculating)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
@drthedude @DoctoringDream I completely agree with having the highest MCAT tier possible before starting this program. I would not have made it into medical school via this program had I not already had a good MCAT. No one should think their undergrad GPA correlates to how well they'll do in this program: you will get wrecked so much harder than anything else you've handled.

They basically need some collateral to know that you can handle med school before handing you the admission. The MCAT being good is breathing room for them to ease up on GPA in the program and vice-versa. That said, the MCAT is honestly easier than this program. You and everyone else should focus hard on figuring out how to do better on that first before starting so you don't miss your chance of being a physician by one test grade.

@drthedude @DoctoringDream I completely agree with having the highest MCAT tier possible before starting this program. I would not have made it into medical school via this program had I not already had a good MCAT. No one should think their undergrad GPA correlates to how well they'll do in this program: you will get wrecked so much harder than anything else you've handled.

They basically need some collateral to know that you can handle med school before handing you the admission. The MCAT being good is breathing room for them to ease up on GPA in the program and vice-versa. That said, the MCAT is honestly easier than this program. You and everyone else should focus hard on figuring out how to do better on that first before starting so you don't miss your chance of being a physician by one test grade.
I completely agree now and realized I shouldn't base my high undergrad GPA and my lower tier MCAT (496) as determinants of doing well in this majorly rigorous program. I should've retaken the MCAT instead with proper months of studying. Now I'm stuck with a lower MCAT and a lower GPA, but hopefully in my gap year, I can pull it up and explain. Moral of the story: if you really want to join this program, make sure you get that 498 minimum and work the hardest you've ever worked. I learned from my mistakes and wished I knew that beforehand. Praying for y'all!

When is it appropriate to reach out about an update for our application? Mine has been under normal review for 4 weeks now! Thanks in advance!

When is it appropriate to reach out about an update for our application? Mine has been under normal review for 4 weeks now! Thanks in advance!
I remember also waiting about a month and a week, and eventually got in. I would suggest an additional week of waiting for you too before you reach out, good luck!

I have been receiving messages about the confusion for benchmark GPA and let me break it down:
- If you make the fall benchmark, you STILL need to make a 3.6 in the spring semester to maintain your seat (NOT average a 3.6)
- If you did not make the fall benchmark, you CAN average to whatever GPA benchmark you need in the spring based on your MCAT (either average 3.75 or 3.6)

I noticed that was the misunderstanding in a lot of this. I wished VCOM MABS made it clearer but the whole avg GPA thing only applies to those who are trying to make spring benchmarks. Basically, even if you had a 4.0 in the fall, you have to have at least a 3.6 in the spring. I know because I once asked the director this long ago

I had a question regarding recommendation letter. I have a science professor who can write one but i don't have DO or MD who can write one since i did not find any shadowing experience. I have lots of virtual shadowing though. I did research in undergrad can my research supervisor write one? please guys help me, i feel already late in applying. i also could not find any email in their website to ask them.
I'm sure they are understanding due to the pandemic but if you can try to get someone you virtually shadowed, hopefully that works too. If not, it wouldn't hurt to ask your research supervisor. Feel free to also contact the VCOM director of admissions, Ms. Lisa Leichner ([email protected]), your concerns. I hope you get a response!

for those who have gone through or are currently going through the MABS program - do they offer practice questions before the exams with the curriculum or do you mainly learn through the slides and lectures and hope for the best? Does the anatomy section have a laboratory portion or is it only classroom-based?

thanks in advance

for those who have gone through or are currently going through the MABS program - do they offer practice questions before the exams with the curriculum or do you mainly learn through the slides and lectures and hope for the best? Does the anatomy section have a laboratory portion or is it only classroom-based?

thanks in advance
Yeah! A good amount of the professors (not all of them) offer practice questions and those are often so useful for the exams! I wish all classes were this way, honestly! And yes, there is an anatomy lab portion for the class and it involves either in-person or digital models

I didn’t find out about this program until February and I submitted my application March 25th. I feel that’s it late to apply with the deadline being April 15th. Has anyone submitted their application close to the deadline and still got in and when did you get accepted?
I also have a question regarding the application process. My application was verified by PostBacCAS March 29th. Now that it’s verified how long does it take to get a response on whether it’s under review or final review?

I didn’t find out about this program until February and I submitted my application March 25th. I feel that’s it late to apply with the deadline being April 15th. Has anyone submitted their application close to the deadline and still got in and when did you get accepted?
I also have a question regarding the application process. My application was verified by PostBacCAS March 29th. Now that it’s verified how long does it take to get a response on whether it’s under review or final review?
Usually takes a month after submission to hear back on being accepted. As long as you submitted before the deadline in April, your application has a chance of being considered

my app was finished and verified in dec and i got my acceptance in feb , so give them about a month or so

Hi everyone, I just received an email today saying my application is under final review but for those who got in how far after did you hear a response?

Hi everyone, I just received an email today saying my application is under final review but for those who got in how far after did you hear a response?
After the final review email I received the acceptance about 4-5 days later

I actually just declined the offer of admission. I was pulled off the waitlist for med school.
YO! Ayeee congrats on the med school acceptance! You lucked out big time. Seriously y'all, if you can look elsewhere outside of MABS pls do so. My DMs are open

Last edited:
  • Care
2020-2021 mabs grad here! I made benchmarks but decided to go to another med school (for various reasons). Currently I have a 4.0 in med school and can tell you that mabs is definitely harder! You need A’s in mabs, there’s no way around this. For those applying/accepted, you have to be real with yourself, were you a student who just slacked off and didn’t apply yourself in undergrad and studying for the mcat and you know if you worked hard you can easily get A’s in classes such as biochem, immunology and microbiology? Or did you bust your butt in undergrad and studying for the mcat only to come out below average? If you are the latter student, I recommend not taking on the debt and possibly a lower grad school gpa that will be hard to explain away in future med school app cycles. Be uncomfortably real with yourself and who you are as a student, it sucks to have that self realization that you just aren’t smart enough, but it’s better to do that now before wasting $50,000 and having even worst stats and no med school acceptance after the program. Feel feel you pm me with any questions.

Last edited:
2020-2021 mabs grad here! I made benchmarks but decided to go to another med school (for various reasons). Currently I have a 4.0 in med school and can tell you that mabs is definitely harder! You need A’s in mabs, there’s no way around this. For those applying/accepted, you have to be real with yourself, were you a student who just slacked off and didn’t apply yourself in undergrad and studying for the mcat and you know if you worked hard you can easily get A’s in classes such as biochem, immunology and microbiology? Or did you bust your butt in undergrad and studying for the mcat only to come out below average? If you are the latter student, I recommend not taking on the debt and possibly a lower grad school gpa that will be hard to explain away in future med school app cycles. Be uncomfortably real with yourself and who you are as a student, it sucks to have that self realization that you just aren’t smart enough, but it’s better to do that now before wasting $50,000 and having even worst stats and no med school acceptance after the program. Feel feel you pm me with any questions.
Hello!!

Thank you for your input/congrats on doing well in med school! I agree with your advice to be real with ourselves as students, but may I chime in? I think it's a hit/miss in these situations cuz most of my current class, including myself, is struggling for both benchmarks and/or passing in general and a lot of us did well in the fall semester sooo this came to a surprise. We just had a meeting with our immunology professor who's new to teaching this year (the one class most are tanking), and even she admitted there's something wrong with this semester where things aren't adding up to benefit the students. It's either admin mistakes or adjustments to being online for a few months then jumping back into the classroom. I just wanted to speak up for the behalf of my class and be honest with what's been happening. Perhaps your experience last year was different than ours but i just find it appalling how lots of us may have came from good undergrad GPAs to a wakeup call in the spring. And we aren't slacking, it's just the material has been a lot with no direction sometimes unlike the fall term. Can I ask if your previous MABS class also struggled a lot more in the spring semester too or is it just us? We have ppl legit crying cuz they couldn't maintain a 3.6 but they had spectacular grades in the fall... feeling like things aren't making sense rn man :/

Last edited:
Hello!!

Thank you for your input/congrats on doing well in med school! I agree with your advice to be real with ourselves as students, but may I chime in? I think it's a hit/miss in these situations cuz most of my current class, including myself, is struggling for both benchmarks and/or passing in general and a lot of us did well in the fall semester sooo this came to a surprise. We just had a meeting with our immunology professor who's new to teaching this year (the one class most are tanking), and even she admitted there's something wrong with this semester where things aren't adding up to benefit the students. It's either admin mistakes or adjustments to being online for a few months then jumping back into the classroom. I just wanted to speak up for the behalf of my class and be honest with what's been happening. Perhaps your experience last year was different than ours but i just find it appalling how lots of us may have came from good undergrad GPAs to a wakeup call in the spring. And we aren't slacking, it's just the material has been a lot with no direction sometimes unlike the fall term. Can I ask if your previous MABS class also struggled a lot more in the spring semester too or is it just us? We have ppl legit crying cuz they couldn't maintain a 3.6 but they had spectacular grades in the fall... feeling like things aren't making sense rn man :/
Spring term was significantly harder than the fall for our class too! Many people struggled to keep benchmarks, with immunology also being the main issue. We also had issues with exams, the professor and admin not caring about the issues we were facing. It absolutely sucks to be in a position where you feel like the odds are stacked against you. Unfortunately situations like that are never going to end, med school is tough and people struggle to even pass classes let alone get an A. My overall point though, if you can’t get A’s in the program then you are probably going to appear to be an even worse applicant the following year and you’re out $50k and that simply isn’t worth worth it unless you are extremely confident in your ability to learn this very challenging material. Because as much as everyone wants to blame outside factors, there is someone right now who got a 4.0 in the fall and still has one now, so it’s not impossible. Sometimes you can work as hard as you can, but you simply don’t have what it takes, and it isn’t easy to realize that about yourself but do it before you ruin your gpa and go into more debt.

^^ I would also like to add that I do not regret doing the program at all. If you do well you get so much out it! You get the basics of almost every course/system you’ll see in med school, and it’s invaluable to not have to start from scratch. You gain incredible study habits and skills, and you develop grit and confidence like you never even knew you had. I can see the way mabs prepared me compared to my peers who didn’t do a postbacc, it’s 100% worth it if you have what it takes and are willing to give it your all.

Spring term was significantly harder than the fall for our class too! Many people struggled to keep benchmarks, with immunology also being the main issue. We also had issues with exams, the professor and admin not caring about the issues we were facing. It absolutely sucks to be in a position where you feel like the odds are stacked against you. Unfortunately situations like that are never going to end, med school is tough and people struggle to even pass classes let alone get an A. My overall point though, if you can’t get A’s in the program then you are probably going to appear to be an even worse applicant the following year and you’re out $50k and that simply isn’t worth worth it unless you are extremely confident in your ability to learn this very challenging material. Because as much as everyone wants to blame outside factors, there is someone right now who got a 4.0 in the fall and still has one now, so it’s not impossible. Sometimes you can work as hard as you can, but you simply don’t have what it takes, and it isn’t easy to realize that about yourself but do it before you ruin your gpa and go into more debt.
^^ I would also like to add that I do not regret doing the program at all. If you do well you get so much out it! You get the basics of almost every course/system you’ll see in med school, and it’s invaluable to not have to start from scratch. You gain incredible study habits and skills, and you develop grit and confidence like you never even knew you had. I can see the way mabs prepared me compared to my peers who didn’t do a postbacc, it’s 100% worth it if you have what it takes and are willing to give it your all.
Geez! Thx for telling us it wasn't much easier for the previous class either. Surprised the same with immunology despite being a different professor. And don't get me started about the program disorganization. Guess that was the norm. You're so right that while it was justifiable to blame outside factors, a select few are making benchmarks compared to the majority. So yes, it ain't impossible..... I just wished I thought through before joining this program. It has showed me that even good grades in undergrad couldn't been the sole factor of thinking I would do well. It has to do with grit and a certain level of academic ability. Hate that I feel like I'm downplaying myself but I am in a worst spot now with GPA and debt. I'm glad for you and those who made it that this program worked out and helped you in med school. Moral of the story for anyone incoming students: take this high risk, high reward SMP if you truly feel like you can put in the work but before you even think about that, avoid SMPs if you can via MCAT retake or just some postbacc classes. You'd prob save your GPA with that better than an SMP, just sayin

Geez! Thx for telling us it wasn't much easier for the previous class either. Surprised the same with immunology despite being a different professor. And don't get me started about the program disorganization. Guess that was the norm. You're so right that while it was justifiable to blame outside factors, a select few are making benchmarks compared to the majority. So yes, it ain't impossible..... I just wished I thought through before joining this program. It has showed me that even good grades in undergrad couldn't been the sole factor of thinking I would do well. It has to do with grit and a certain level of academic ability. Hate that I feel like I'm downplaying myself but I am in a worst spot now with GPA and debt. I'm glad for you and those who made it that this program worked out and helped you in med school. Moral of the story for anyone incoming students: take this high risk, high reward SMP if you truly feel like you can put in the work but before you even think about that, avoid SMPs if you can via MCAT retake or just some postbacc classes. You'd prob save your GPA with that better than an SMP, just sayin
Do you know if the OMABS program has linkage?

Ahhh so one of those scams. A money maker for the school and really no linkage.
All I can say is that it's a hit or miss for a lot of people. OMABS is guaranteed interview if you meet benchmarks but the in-person MABS is more geared towards a guaranteed acceptance IF you make benchmarks for both semesters with a positive evaluation (which is like an interview anyways...). A lot easier said than done since you can lose your seat if you do worse in the spring and the monetary deposit you paid for the acceptance will not be refunded if can't keep up your grades... I think that just sucks imo. My guess is a lot of SMPs are like that in general, so it is what it is

Hi everyone! Current MABS student here! I just wanted to offer my own anecdotal experience with the MABS program: Honestly? Its been Overwhelmingly Positive. YES this program is hard. YES it can understandably feel overwhelming at times. But for what its worth, if I had been straight Accepted from the last year’s application cycle’s waitlist into VCOM instead of being Accepted this year from the in-person MABS program: I would have 100% felt more unprepared for my first year of med school than anticipated from having NOT gone through this program first, and would have more than likely have flunked out by now. While the MABS program teaches you at a FAR higher level than Undergraduate classes (as to be expected from a Master’s Program offering a potential for Guaranteed Acceptance), the program will definitely prepare you immensely for Block 1 by teaching you the same subjects taught by the SAME VCOM professors themselves to the OMS-1 students at the VCOM campus. While yes, the argument can be made that we in the MABS program have to meet that high benchmark GPA while the VCOM students do not necessarily, (“C = MD/ DO” as some say), It is definitely NOT Impossible for us. The rigors of this program taught me that I COULD NOT study & procrastinate like I had in Undergrad to fly by and that I needed to be flexible with changing/learning new study habits if something wasn’t feasibly “clicking”. I learned to be accountable for my actions and Inactions. I found reliable friends to struggle together with. And yet, we’re still making it. Again, anecdotal, but I for one had a 4.0 in the Fall Semester and am STILL maintaining a tentative 4.0 this Spring Semester.

The professors for the most part are great and friendly, but all of them definitely WANT you to succeed. All of them are more than willing to even provide you their own constructed study guides/lecture notes/practice mock questions/ exam reviews and other resources to help you prepare for their exams. This, along with openly communicating with the professors, gives you an idea of exactly what key things they’re expecting you to take away from their lectures and their thought processes to their exam questions. This program is definitely tough, especially this Spring semester where the subject material is for sure DENSE and challenging: But again, it is NOT impossible.

I will however STRONGLY advise you to have that MCAT benchmark already in the bag. The higher you have that MCAT score BEFORE this program, the better. The professors and program lectures will only test you on subjects from Block 1 classes hence: There is only Some MCAT material overlap at best, and you will have to study and prepare for the MCAT on your own time. I am personally thankful for being fortunate enough to hit that bare minimum MCAT score of 496, but quite a few of the people struggling in this program seem to be individuals who are unfortunate enough to be trying to study for this program AS WELL AS simultaneously trying to study for the MCAT. This program is tough. And you WILL have an especially rough time trying to juggle both if that MCAT benchmark is not there already.

But anyways: I apologize for the long post and congratulations to anyone who has made it this far. I hope my personal experience provides you all another perspective. That while the program is definitely tough, it is definitely not all doom and gloom. And I am not the only odd exception. Regardless, I sincerely feel that I and everyone else through this program will in the end all become better prepared Doctors from this. You are all more capable than you know. Hope this helps and good luck to you all!

Hi everyone! Current MABS student here! I just wanted to offer my own anecdotal experience with the MABS program: Honestly? Its been Overwhelmingly Positive. YES this program is hard. YES it can understandably feel overwhelming at times. But for what its worth, if I had been straight Accepted from the last year’s application cycle’s waitlist into VCOM instead of being Accepted this year from the in-person MABS program: I would have 100% felt more unprepared for my first year of med school than anticipated from having NOT gone through this program first, and would have more than likely have flunked out by now. While the MABS program teaches you at a FAR higher level than Undergraduate classes (as to be expected from a Master’s Program offering a potential for Guaranteed Acceptance), the program will definitely prepare you immensely for Block 1 by teaching you the same subjects taught by the SAME VCOM professors themselves to the OMS-1 students at the VCOM campus. While yes, the argument can be made that we in the MABS program have to meet that high benchmark GPA while the VCOM students do not necessarily, (“C = MD/ DO” as some say), It is definitely NOT Impossible for us. The rigors of this program taught me that I COULD NOT study & procrastinate like I had in Undergrad to fly by and that I needed to be flexible with changing/learning new study habits if something wasn’t feasibly “clicking”. I learned to be accountable for my actions and Inactions. I found reliable friends to struggle together with. And yet, we’re still making it. Again, anecdotal, but I for one had a 4.0 in the Fall Semester and am STILL maintaining a tentative 4.0 this Spring Semester.

The professors for the most part are great and friendly, but all of them definitely WANT you to succeed. All of them are more than willing to even provide you their own constructed study guides/lecture notes/practice mock questions/ exam reviews and other resources to help you prepare for their exams. This, along with openly communicating with the professors, gives you an idea of exactly what key things they’re expecting you to take away from their lectures and their thought processes to their exam questions. This program is definitely tough, especially this Spring semester where the subject material is for sure DENSE and challenging: But again, it is NOT impossible.

I will however STRONGLY advise you to have that MCAT benchmark already in the bag. The higher you have that MCAT score BEFORE this program, the better. The professors and program lectures will only test you on subjects from Block 1 classes hence: There is only Some MCAT material overlap at best, and you will have to study and prepare for the MCAT on your own time. I am personally thankful for being fortunate enough to hit that bare minimum MCAT score of 496, but quite a few of the people struggling in this program seem to be individuals who are unfortunate enough to be trying to study for this program AS WELL AS simultaneously trying to study for the MCAT. This program is tough. And you WILL have an especially rough time trying to juggle both if that MCAT benchmark is not there already.

But anyways: I apologize for the long post and congratulations to anyone who has made it this far. I hope my personal experience provides you all another perspective. That while the program is definitely tough, it is definitely not all doom and gloom. And I am not the only odd exception. Regardless, I sincerely feel that I and everyone else through this program will in the end all become better prepared Doctors from this. You are all more capable than you know. Hope this helps and good luck to you all!
Thank you so much for your positive feedback!