VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with Sheila yesterday and she said since classes just finished and final grades were due they are working on benchmarks for current students but we should expect to hear by the end of the month or beginning January. For reference I was in final review on 11/22.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with Sheila yesterday and she said since classes just finished and final grades were due they are working on benchmarks for current students but we should expect to hear by the end of the month of beginning January. For reference I was in final review on 11/22.
Thank you! How long does did it take to get into final review? I was complete mid November but silence since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! Going to apply here in the next month or so, probably by the end of january. Takkng the mcat in april and have a 3.0 science gpa and a 3.4 cumulative with plenty of service hours, etc. Anyone else in a similar boat as me?

Hey Guys! Going to apply here in the next month or so, probably by the end of january. Takkng the mcat in april and have a 3.0 science gpa and a 3.4 cumulative with plenty of service hours, etc. Anyone else in a similar boat as me?
I'm in the same boat as you and will let you know when I hear back about my application. Have a 3.45 cGPA, 3,1 sGPA and 502 MCAT

Hey guys, current MABS student here, graduating 2023. I thought i’d post and answer any questions you guys might have regarding the program. Last years students did the same for us under our thread so i’m trying to pass it forward!

Hey guys, current MABS student here, graduating 2023. I thought i’d post and answer any questions you guys might have regarding the program. Last years students did the same for us under our thread so i’m trying to pass it forward!
Thanks! Would you recommend this program? Is the linkage still string?

Thanks! Would you recommend this program? Is the linkage still string?
So this is very opinionated because the answer will change based on who you ask, however I highly recommend the program. It is alot of material to study and you have 2 exams almost every week but if you dedicate your time wisely and take the program seriously you will be fine. It is very doable (all of my friends have met the benchmarks the fall semester) and this is coming from someone who was a huge procrastinator in undergrad lol. The linkage is strong since its guaranteed if you meet the benchmarks. We currently did our interviews and are waiting to hear back.

So this is very opinionated because the answer will change based on who you ask, however I highly recommend the program. It is alot of material to study and you have 2 exams almost every week but if you dedicate your time wisely and take the program seriously you will be fine. It is very doable (all of my friends have met the benchmarks the fall semester) and this is coming from someone who was a huge procrastinator in undergrad lol. The linkage is strong since its guaranteed if you meet the benchmarks. We currently did our interviews and are waiting to hear back.
Thanks! Would you say the tests are fair and the material is all covered in class? Do they try and trick you at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Would you say the tests are fair and the material is all covered in class? Do they try and trick you at all?
The tests are extremely fair , everything comes directly from the powerpoints. The professors are very nice and always willing to help you with any questions, some even provide study guides! So I wouldnt say they try to trick you but ofcourse there will be some questions where you feel tripped up. If you study from their PowerPoints you’ll do well. Some students use flashcards (anki, quizlet etc), some do group studying, & others study alone. You will have to figure out what works best for you but try to figure it out ASAP.

I would also suggest you guys make a FB group and Groupme for your class. Another great aspect of this program is that you guys aren’t competing with your classmates, they will accept everyone if you all meet the benchmarks. Work together and help eachother out!

The tests are extremely fair , everything comes directly from the powerpoints. The professors are very nice and always willing to help you with any questions, some even provide study guides! So I wouldnt say they try to trick you but ofcourse there will be some questions where you feel tripped up. If you study from their PowerPoints you’ll do well. Some students use flashcards (anki, quizlet etc), some do group studying, & others study alone. You will have to figure out what works best for you but try to figure it out ASAP.

I would also suggest you guys make a FB group and Groupme for your class. Another great aspect of this program is that you guys aren’t competing with your classmates, they will accept everyone if you all meet the benchmarks. Work together and help eachother out!
Did you get accepted to other programs? If so what made you choose this one over others?

Did you get accepted to other programs? If so what made you choose this one over others?
I only applied to two & got accepted to both. I preferred this program because MABS has seats available for every single student who meets the benchmarks, you don’t have to compete with classmates, for me this reduced stress. The other program only accepted the top 35 students. Now being in the program i’m glad I chose this, everyone (classmates & professors) has made this so much more enjoyable. I would suggest that anyone who hasn’t taken the MCAT try to take it before starting MABS, it will make your life easier!

I only applied to two & got accepted to both. I preferred this program because MABS has seats available for every single student who meets the benchmarks, you don’t have to compete with classmates, for me this reduced stress. The other program only accepted the top 35 students. Now being in the program i’m glad I chose this, everyone (classmates & professors) has made this so much more enjoyable. I would suggest that anyone who hasn’t taken the MCAT try to take it before starting MABS, it will make your life easier!
I've already taken the MCAT so I'm good on that. I do like that there is a less competitive atmosphere. I am concerned about the courses. I struggled with biochemistry in undergrad and have never taken genetics. What are your thoughts on the Fall courses having just completed them? Are the exams generally multiple choice or free response?

I've already taken the MCAT so I'm good on that. I do like that there is a less competitive atmosphere. I am concerned about the courses. I struggled with biochemistry in undergrad and have never taken genetics. What are your thoughts on the Fall courses having just completed them? Are the exams generally multiple choice or free response?
I can totally relate, I didn’t do too great in biochem during undergrad. However, I did really well in the MABS biochem course. The professor is amazing he really enjoys teaching biochem, so i think you will do great. Genetics also has a great professor, if you study the powerpoint slides in detail you’ll get an A. All the courses in the Fall have multiple choice exams.The only class that has free response is health policy which we will be taking in spring.

Last edited:
I can totally relate, I didn’t do too great in biochem during undergrad. However, I did really well in the MABS biochem course. The professor is amazing he really enjoys teaching biochem, so i think you will do great. Genetics also has a great professor, if you study the powerpoint slides in detail you’ll get an A. All the courses in the Fall have multiple choice exams.The only class that has free response is health policy which we will be taking in spring.
If you study the biochem slides should you get an A as well?

If you study the biochem slides should you get an A as well?
Yes, but since biochem wasn’t my strongest subject I would also watch youtube videos and that really helped. I will reiterate that you will have to figure out what works best for you. I had friends who swore that reading the text book was the best method , and then there were others who never opened the textbook. So it really depends on how you learn best.

Hey guys! I’m also a current MABS student. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask or DM me. I’m happy to help :)

how has it been so far? Is it what you expected?
The program has been great so far. Yes, it was what I expected. The expectation was that you study 40 hours after school. So we have school from 8 am - 12 pm, 4- 5 days a week, so I come home and take an hour break to eat, then start studying from 1-5 or 6pm, then I take a 2-hour break for dinner and cooking and try to get in 1 more hour before I end the night. Saturdays and Sundays, I try to hit 8 hours of studying if it's a hard test like immunology. Sometimes, I would study for 10 hours to be extra careful, but it was not necessary. For research or community health, I just study 3 days before the test, and I try getting in 2 full passes of the material. It's defiantly a lot of studying, but the material is not overwhelming. This program is possible as long as you put in the work!

The program has been great so far. Yes, it was what I expected. The expectation was that you study 40 hours after school. So we have school from 8 am - 12 pm, 4- 5 days a week, so I come home and take an hour break to eat, then start studying from 1-5 or 6pm, then I take a 2-hour break for dinner and cooking and try to get in 1 more hour before I end the night. Saturdays and Sundays, I try to hit 8 hours of studying if it's a hard test like immunology. Sometimes, I would study for 10 hours to be extra careful, but it was not necessary. For research or community health, I just study 3 days before the test, and I try getting in 2 full passes of the material. It's defiantly a lot of studying, but the material is not overwhelming. This program is possible as long as you put in the work!
Pretty doable to hit the benchmarks?

Got an email 10 min ago saying I got waitlisted and wouldn't hear if I get pulled off until June :confused:

Hi! I heard back on Wednesday, Jan 25! I was accepted into the program!! :) I was informed I was in the final review on December 12th 2022 :) I hope everyone gets the news they are hoping for!! If there is a facebook group made, please reply with a link! Good luck to everyone!!

Got an email 10 min ago saying I got waitlisted and wouldn't hear if I get pulled off until
Hi! I heard back on Wednesday, Jan 25! I was accepted into the program!! :) I was informed I was in the final review on December 12th 2022 :) I hope everyone gets the news they are hoping for!! If there is a facebook group made, please reply with a link! Good luck to everyone!!
Congrats! Did you receive an admissions packet yet or just an email?

Pretty doable to hit the benchmarks?
Yes, I would say so. As long as you study and put in the work, you should hit the GPA. Our Exam averages were always pretty high. I would say only way to do bad in the program is if you just decide you don’t want to study….
The second semester does get harder but as long as you study, you’ll be fine.

Hi! I just received my acceptance this past week. I was wondering if you knew - do they actually stick to their guarantee? I have a few friends that did a post-bacc at another med school that really tried to find loopholes to not let some of their classmates in, even after they meant benchmarks. That is probably my worst fear.
For Biochem, I know you said that you watched a lot of youtube videos. Did you have a specific channel that was your go to? If you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:
Has anyone started a facebook chat or groupme? I can definitely start one if people are interested.

Hi! I just received my acceptance this past week. I was wondering if you knew - do they actually stick to their guarantee? I have a few friends that did a post-bacc at another med school that really tried to find loopholes to not let some of their classmates in, even after they meant benchmarks. That is probably my worst fear.
For Biochem, I know you said that you watched a lot of youtube videos. Did you have a specific channel that was your go to? If you don't mind me asking.
Congratulations on your acceptance!! I hope this path helps you reach your dreams :)

In my experience ( as well as of those classmates who met the benchmarks) they follow through on their guarantee. They genuinely do want to help you succeed because lets be honest it looks good on them as well. If they already know that you are a good student you will only make the med school stats better so they want to give you that seat, just focus on the written conditions (gpa and mcat, do decent in the interview) & you’ll be solid!
I honestly didnt have a specific channel that i watched, i would watch different videos but i did really like medsimplified, most of our classmates swear by ninjanerd though!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on your acceptance!! I hope this path helps you reach your dreams :)

In my experience ( as well as of those classmates who met the benchmarks) they follow through on their guarantee. They genuinely do want to help you succeed because lets be honest it looks good on them as well. If they already know that you are a good student you will only make the med school stats better so they want to give you that seat, just focus on the written conditions (gpa and mcat, do decent in the interview) & you’ll be solid!
I honestly didnt have a specific channel that i watched, i would watch different videos but i did really like medsimplified, most of our classmates swear by ninjanerd though!
Also if any of you want some study sources feel free to shoot me a dm

Has anyone started a facebook chat or groupme? I can definitely start one if people are interested.
can you please start a facebook chat? and let us know when you do!

Hey Gang! Congratulations to all those that have been accepted thus far and best wishes and lots of prayers to those of you still waiting or waitlisted! I went ahead and created a facebook group today. Very basic just to establish a place to connect:

I look forward to connecting more there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you accepted do you know when the deposit is due? I never got an email just a letter in the mail today. However, there is not a due date listed for the deposit.

Hey everyone - does anyone know if we have to resubmit our AACOMAS application during our MABS year in order to matriculate into VCOM the following year? I didn’t think we needed to but then got to thinking AACOMAS may require a filed application even if it’s a formality.

Hey everyone - does anyone know if we have to resubmit our AACOMAS application during our MABS year in order to matriculate into VCOM the following year? I didn’t think we needed to but then got to thinking AACOMAS may require a filed application even if it’s a formality.
Yes, you will submit the application sometime around September or October. The admissions will tell you all about it. Yes it’s required for formality.

For those of you accepted do you know when the deposit is due? I never got an email just a letter in the mail today. However, there is not a due date listed for the deposit.
The letter I received stated "within 15 days of this email" which I'm assuming also would apply to the date of the letter. You can make a credit/debit payment directly to Bluefield by calling 276-326-4215 if you're worried a payment by mail will exceed the deadline.

The letter I received stated "within 15 days of this email" which I'm assuming also would apply to the date of the letter. You can make a credit/debit payment directly to Bluefield by calling 276-326-4215 if you're worried a payment by mail will exceed the deadline.
Thank you!

Hey Gang! Congratulations to all those that have been accepted thus far and best wishes and lots of prayers to those of you still waiting or waitlisted! I went ahead and created a facebook group today. Very basic just to establish a place to connect:

I look forward to connecting more there!
Is this for Omabs too?

Is this for Omabs too?
Sure, I don't see why not! If it comes to be that our curriculums and experiences are different enough that it would warrant 2 different groups, we can always make that change when it becomes necessary.

Hi everyone! My application was finalized 2/15 and I was accepted 2/21. I'm debating between this one, LECOM, and Touro's MS programs. I do really like VCOM for the multiple chances to get the linkage.

In my class, everyone who hit benchmarks got in to VCOM. There were 2 or 3 students who did not earn a positive evaluation from the committee (the 3rd benchmark) in December because they were not prepared, but they were given another shot at the end of the program. Gaining acceptance is really straightforward. Faculty + adminiustration want everyone to be successful.