Vandy vs NYU vs Dartmouth vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quaren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dartmouth is the obvious choice. There's no way Vandy is worth an extra 140K. I wouldn't go to Harvard over Dartmouth for that much of a difference in cost.

There's a huge discrepancy in loans you have to take between NYU/Dartmouth vs Vandy/Pitt. So I would pick between NYU and Dartmouth as the difference of 20k between those two schools is somewhat more negligible.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely NYU vs. Dartmouth. Now pick between a big city with tons of stuff to do vs. a small town with absolutely nothing to do.

I interviewed at both NYU (waitlisted) and Dartmouth (still haven't heard). i think NYU is worth the extra $20,000. NYU offers way more research opportunities and its funding is steadily increasing. NYU's location gives you the opportunity to take part in any type of research you want since there are 5 other med school close by and tons of other research centers. The population in Dartmouth is mainly older white people so you won't get to see all the interesting cases you would see in places like NY, BOS, SF, Philly. I also didn't like that fact that you may have to go somewhere else in the country during your clerkships at Dartmouth. I know they pay for your housing when you travel but a few third years I spoke to said the housing was pretty crappy. There also very little to do in Hanover/Lebannon and the closest big city, boston, is two hours away.

NYU. Bellevue. Langone. NYC.

I didn't know that Pitt had released financial aid packages yet, or is that just your own estimate? I too would choose NYU, based on the $$$ and your preferences.

Where do you want to end up for residency?

I'd probably choose NYU in your shoes. For me Vandy would be hard to pass up, but I don't think I could stomach the extra debt.

Have you contacted Vandy's financial aid office to see if they can update their aid package?

Thank you so much for all the input! I really appreciate it. It seems Vandy is not worth the extra debt, even though I really love the school. Love the atmosphere, the student-centeredness--it's more the gut-feeling that I would enjoy it there.

I interviewed at both NYU (waitlisted) and Dartmouth (still haven't heard). i think NYU is worth the extra $20,000. NYU offers way more research opportunities and its funding is steadily increasing. NYU's location gives you the opportunity to take part in any type of research you want since there are 5 other med school close by and tons of other research centers. The population in Dartmouth is mainly older white people so you won't get to see all the interesting cases you would see in places like NY, BOS, SF, Philly. I also didn't like that fact that you may have to go somewhere else in the country during your clerkships at Dartmouth. I know they pay for your housing when you travel but a few third years I spoke to said the housing was pretty crappy. There also very little to do in Hanover/Lebannon and the closest big city, boston, is two hours away.

I really liked NYU a lot, but I also interviewed at the other NYC schools. I guess I'm a little bitter than I'm waitlisted at Columbia, Cornell, and Mount Sinai and not sure about wanting to end up in NYC anymore. I will have to give it some thought b/c NYU did give me a decent financial aid.

NYU. Bellevue. Langone. NYC.

+1. I love Bellevue, definitely one of my favorite hospitals. I like working with underserved populations and Bellevue provides amazing clinical training.

It's definitely NYU vs. Dartmouth. Now pick between a big city with tons of stuff to do vs. a small town with absolutely nothing to do.

Thanks for the input. I am actually not too concerned about living in big city vs small town. I have family both in NH and NY, and I don't exactly have a preference for urban vs rural.

I didn't know that Pitt had released financial aid packages yet, or is that just your own estimate? I too would choose NYU, based on the $$$ and your preferences.

estimate. but should be close based on friend with similar family income who currently attends. so currently ruling it out because it left a bad impression unless the financial situation changes.

Where do you want to end up for residency?

I'd probably choose NYU in your shoes. For me Vandy would be hard to pass up, but I don't think I could stomach the extra debt.

Probably somewhere in the Northeast, as I have family (and extended family) in NH, NY, NJ, CT, MA.

Have you contacted Vandy's financial aid office to see if they can update their aid package?

No, not yet. How do you suggest I go about it?

There's a huge discrepancy in loans you have to take between NYU/Dartmouth vs Vandy/Pitt. So I would pick between NYU and Dartmouth as the difference of 20k between those two schools is somewhat more negligible.

That's why I'm so conflicted. My heart has been set on Vandy for the longest time (it was one of the earlier schools to accept me).

Call up their admissions office and see if you can talk to their director of financial aid. Let them know that Vanderbilt is your current top choice, however you are currently leaning towards other schools who have offered $XXX. That you would rather attend Vanderbilt, but the financial aspect of it is difficult. Ask if Vanderbilt would be willing to match the amounts, or at the very least make the difference more manageable.

This is of course reliant on the fact that Vanderbilt is indeed your top choice, and that if it were the cheapest, you would definitely go.

i think you've really got to go with your gut and really think where you'll be the happiest. money can always be earned back.

The population in Dartmouth is mainly older white people so you won't get to see all the interesting cases you would see in places like NY, BOS, SF, Philly.

This is not true, there is a large uninsured population in the Upper Valley. In *Hanover*, the population is mostly affluent with a high level of education, but the surrounding community is very different and has a high immigrant population. Also, more complicated cases throughout VT/NH will often be transferred to DHMC.

This.

NYU >> Dartmouth

This.

NYU >> Dartmouth

Agreed.
If you want patient diversity and a strong clinical experience, nyu is your choice.
And being close to family... Priceless.
Have you lived in NYC?
If you enjoy city life, there's nothing more to discuss... The city never sleeps... Literally.

Ummmmmm Dartmouth

What would people do in my shoes?

If I were in your shoes, I'd go NYU over the others. Cheaper option, great reputation, close vicinity to other medical schools for desired away rotations, and NYC would be an awesome city to live in for 4 years.

I'd do NYU, for that price you cant beat getting a great life experience in NYC.

I'm at Pitt and think it offers fantastic training, so I'd wait to see what their financial aid has to offer, which can be quite generous. That being said, if they don't offer a scholarship I'd take NYU or Dartmouth, both also very good schools and half the price.

NYU and Dartmouth are likely close enough in quality, reputation, and price that you should be deciding based on location. Do you want to live in NYC or Hanover? Its hard to imagine two more different places. Outdoors or huge city?

People dream of NYC all their life.
True, it gets old for some of us and now that I have a family I would not like to live in the city( a close drive would not be bad), but in NYC I had the best years of my life( came when I was 14 on and off, did residency there and then moved out for fellowship).
I found myself, found love, sex, rock and roll, learned to enjoy and appreciate art in all its forms from museums to street/subway performers, learn to work with so many different people and cultures, learned to use cyracom( and interpreters, dated one, not a smart idea.)
Enjoyed being able to do whatever at any time, a play/movie at 10 am? Why not?
Brunch at 2 pm? Why not? Get drunk at 11 am? Why not
Read at a library at 2 am after drinks until the morning? Why not?
One night stands, meaningful relationships and everything in between....
Possibilities are endless
I'm biased towards NYC, but it was such a wonderful experience that I wish everybody experiences it at least once.
And we are talking about NYU here, it's a win win.

Btw biased towards NYU as well because my program was affiliated to it. I know as a student you will get to see some crazy interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.