UW-Madison c/o 2027 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, to anyone that has already accepted there spot for the fall term. If you guys wanted I could start a GroupMe for us. I’d also be interested in potential roommates
please do! I may also be looking for roommates as apartment hunting doesn't seem to hopeful on my own right now :(

Members don't see this ad.

There should be an official Facebook page coming out soon. The class rep of the year above is supposed to run it, and it's a really good way to find roommates.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There should be an official Facebook page coming out soon. The class rep of the year above is supposed to run it, and it's a really good way to find roommates.

Ok cool, I didn’t know about that. Thanks so much!

Hi! This is my second time applying with better grades and better experience. Rejected twice now. Improving your application definitely shows your seriousness about becoming a vet. But it also is a bit of a gamble -- each year is dependent on that pool of applicants and who you're competing against. I believe it's a number of things, but definitely try again because you never know if that will be the year they pick you!!
Yes, there are so many factors that are at play! Just keep believing in yourself, you will get in when the time is right!

Just curious if any OOS are planning on declining their seat? I went from OOS alternate #22 to #20 as of last Thursday so I’m curious as to how much the list will move
I plan to decline mine!

I plan to decline as well just waiting for my in state school to release their decisions next week ☺️

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if Wisconsin offers decent scholarships? Any idea when we will hear about them?
I believe the application for scholarships runs from mid April to mid-late May, I assume we will hear about them after the decision deadline

Anyone know if Wisconsin offers decent scholarships? Any idea when we will hear about them?
I spoke with Carmen from admissions today and she said that the average dollar amount per student is $4000 for scholarships. She said more details will be provided during the admitted student days in March/April.

Just declined an OOS spot and also forfeited my time for a DVM/PhD interview. Best of luck to y'all on the waitlist or applying for dual degree!

Hey guys, I'm new to sdn (literally just signed up lol) but this seems like an awesome resource! I am a recent OOS acceptance and was wondering if anyone knows if UW lets you establish residency to pay for in-state tuition for years 2-4? I have a few other acceptances and I'm just trying to make the best financial decision at this point. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm new to sdn (literally just signed up lol) but this seems like an awesome resource! I am a recent OOS acceptance and was wondering if anyone knows if UW lets you establish residency to pay for in-state tuition for years 2-4? I have a few other acceptances and I'm just trying to make the best financial decision at this point. Thanks!
According to the AAVMC guide they don’t allow students to establish residency

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone going to the visit days what are you wearing? Do you think like jeans are fine or dressier?

For anyone going to the visit days what are you wearing? Do you think like jeans are fine or dressier?

I wore jeans and a sweatshirt my year it’s very informal you are meant to feel comfortable! It’s an opportunity for you to get a feel for the space and if UW Madison is the right place for you. It’s a very relaxed event. A lot of us current students are there to meet you and we won’t be dressed up either. :)

I wore jeans and a sweatshirt my year it’s very informal you are meant to feel comfortable! It’s an opportunity for you to get a feel for the space and if UW Madison is the right place for you. It’s a very relaxed event. A lot of us current students are there to meet you and we won’t be dressed up either. :)
Thank you!

You’re already an accepted applicant so the best advice I can give is to have fun ask us questions and make sure you are getting what you need out of the experience to make your final decision.

Where are we meeting for the admitted student day tomorrow? And is it still 1pm-4pm?

Anyone staying at the Hilton? I’m on my own and would love to meet people!!

For those of you who went to the visit day yesterday - what did you think? I’m going on Monday just for a tour but I’d love to know what people thought about the overall “vibe” of the school!

I unfortunately did not get accepted by uw-madion this cycle. But I will be working both in a lab and the large animal hospital next year to build a stronger profile. That said I'm in search of a roommate for my 2b1b apartment right across the street from vet school. please pm me if interested!

Hi, I applied to only UW-Madison Vet School and am currently the 13th on the IS waiting list, and was wondering how far the waiting list had moved since February. I intend to apply again and am currently stressed about it. Thank you in advance!

Hi, I applied to only UW-Madison Vet School and am currently the 13th on the IS waiting list, and was wondering how far the waiting list had moved since February. I intend to apply again and am currently stressed about it. Thank you in advance!
I'm number 8 on the IS so I feel your pain! I do not know the official status, but I did see on SDN that someone who was accepted to UW IS is opting for an OOS school, meaning we have moved up by at least one! I intend to reach out to UW closer to April.

I am IS and will be declining my spot! I know that sounds crazy lol.
I hope it goes to someone on here! Madison was great when I visited and will be an awesome education.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm number 8 on the IS so I feel your pain! I do not know the official status, but I did see on SDN that someone who was accepted to UW IS is opting for an OOS school, meaning we have moved up by at least one! I intend to reach out to UW closer to April.
Thank you so much! Best of Luck! I also will reach out to them in April after the acceptance date to see where I am at.

Last edited:
I am IS and will be declining my spot! I know that sounds crazy lol.
I hope it goes to someone on here! Madison was great when I visited and will be an awesome education.
Thanks for the Update!

Accepted to my IS, thus declining my seat. Good luck everyone!

Where are ya headed?
I’m going to Purdue!
I went there for undergrad, I’m from Indiana, and my family is there. Costs kinda evened out for me with cost of living (will be buying a home). Purdue just was a little better fit for me overall!

• Care
Does anyone have any experience with the large animal program at UW? I'm currently considering between Penn (my IS) and UW. Right now, the only thing keeping me from committing to UW is the distance from home since I've never been to Wisconsin. Any advice would be really appreciated <3

Does anyone have any experience with the large animal program at UW? I'm currently considering between Penn (my IS) and UW. Right now, the only thing keeping me from committing to UW is the distance from home since I've never been to Wisconsin. Any advice would be really appreciated <3
I don’t have experience with the program personally, but I’ve heard that the food animal program is very good! Since Wisconsin is a dairy state I believe there is high emphasis on that. I believe food animal and equine are separate also. I can’t speak on its comparison to penn, but as someone who is going to UW for large animal, I feel confident in that decision! 😁

Something to keep in mind with Penn is that the equine and large animal part is roughly an hour away and not all in one location

This is obviously an opinion but I think the cost of PennVet (even for IS) is frightening and borderline unethical :oops:. The student debt that comes with going to PennVet seems crippling.

Not sure if someone has already asked this question, but does anyone currently attending UW know much about the process for applying for scholarships (ie. when does it take place, how much did you get/how much is usually gotten, etc.)?

Not sure if someone has already asked this question, but does anyone currently attending UW know much about the process for applying for scholarships (ie. when does it take place, how much did you get/how much is usually gotten, etc.)?

I’m not sure about all that but I got a call from them today offering me an scholarship for $40k ($10k/year). It said it was based on academics at the time of applying to vet school. I did not apply to the scholarship tho, it was given to me.

I’m not sure about all that but I got a call from them today offering me an scholarship for $40k ($10k/year). It said it was based on academics at the time of applying to vet school. I did not apply to the scholarship tho, it was given to me.
Wow that's amazing! I also got a call from them today offering me a $3k scholarship, but I've also received a scholarship offer from Iowa State for $25k, so I was trying to see if UW might offer more scholarships because I honestly feel like my heart wants to go to UW, but with that $25k scholarship from ISU my wallet disagrees :(

Just accepted my offer to UW! If anyone else has, though, could you tell me how you did it? I just clicked the link on the acceptance email and clicked yes on the following page, but is that all you need to do? And do they send a confirmation email or something? It just felt too easy in a way lol.

Just accepted my offer to UW! If anyone else has, though, could you tell me how you did it? I just clicked the link on the acceptance email and clicked yes on the following page, but is that all you need to do? And do they send a confirmation email or something? It just felt too easy in a way lol.
They sent me a confirmation email, I don’t recall the process but I don’t think it was complicated.

They send a confirmation email! I got mine a few days after accepting so don’t worry if you don’t get it right away.

They send a confirmation email! I got mine a few days after accepting so don’t worry if you don’t get it right away.
They sent me a confirmation email, I don’t recall the process but I don’t think it was complicated.
Ah I see! Yeah I think also because I just accepted the offer this past Saturday, they were probably out of the office, so expecting that confirmation today. I'll see you guys in August/September then!

I was called 2 weeks ago for a scholarship that covers the first year! They said the general scholarship form is sent out in late spring.

Is there a facebook page or anything made for the incoming class in fall?

Just an FYI for my fellow IS waitlist peeps, I got a call from Madison this afternoon informing me I have moved up two places on the waitlist, there is hope!

Just an FYI for my fellow IS waitlist peeps, I got a call from Madison this afternoon informing me I have moved up two places on the waitlist, there is hope!

Awesome!!! I hope we will be classmates this Fall

• Care
Is there a facebook page or anything made for the incoming class in fall?

I haven’t seen anything yet which is unfortunate! I don’t know if they wait until the April 17th deadline or if something else happened this year.