UTMB Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! That gives me something to start with.

powertochoose.com is a good website that you can use to compare electricity costs in the area code you'll live in. You can often find discount codes online too - google "company name" + coupon code or use this website: http://www.retailmenot.com/.

I've used gexa and haven't had any problems. Companies with online accounts / bill pay are nice.

For cable and internet, I just use Comcast with DVR services - I think they give you a discounted rate for 6 months and then the regular price for cable, internet, and DVR is like $110.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ya'll,
I'm currently a pre-med student right now and I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of June (late start, I know). I also start my applications this summer. I have my heart completely set on Galveston because I'm from the area and have a beach house in Crystal Beach (free housing!!:D) I play volleyball for my school and it pretty much takes up all my time. Therefore, I don't have as many volunteer or work experiences and my GPA is not as high as it could be. I was just wondering what everyone else's situation was when they applied to UTMB and what my chances of getting in actually might be?? Any advice will help!!!!!!

I have never parked in the student parking but I usually got to school by 7:30 and saw quite a few parking spaces. If you run late one day you might have a hard time.
The first part of the year I parked in the shuttle lot and took the shuttle to class (drops you off right by Levin Hall) but I don't think it runs in the afternoons until around 3 so if you aren't staying at school to study you might have to walk to the shuttle lot (really not that far).

They also have garage roof parking for students for $140 a year so now I do that.

How do I go about snagging that deal? Is it something best taken care of before I head down there in early August?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a really odd question.

Does anyone know where the emergency rotation is during 3rd/4th year? Is it in Galveston only or do you rotate in another city?

I'm pretty positive that we have options on when and where to do the rotation. You always have the option to do an away rotation. I think most people have this rotation 4th year, but not positive on this. I'm sure if you're expressing interest in it, then you can finagle a way to have it 3rd year.

Hey ya'll,
I'm currently a pre-med student right now and I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of June (late start, I know). I also start my applications this summer. I have my heart completely set on Galveston because I'm from the area and have a beach house in Crystal Beach (free housing!!:D) I play volleyball for my school and it pretty much takes up all my time. Therefore, I don't have as many volunteer or work experiences and my GPA is not as high as it could be. I was just wondering what everyone else's situation was when they applied to UTMB and what my chances of getting in actually might be?? Any advice will help!!!!!!

I also was a college athlete (softball). I think it really looks good when applying to med school (time management, responsibility, etc). Pretty sure it would take the place of work experience (it is afterall like having a full time job in college...not many people realize the hours it takes). I would still try to find some volunteer opportunities during the summer if you can and maybe someone to shadow...seems like the shadowing is really important to schools (I got asked about that alot). I maintained a 3.9 GPA and my MCAT was very average. If your GPA is not as high as it could be then try to do very well on the MCAT. Play up the college athlete aspect in your personal essay.

How do I go about snagging that deal? Is it something best taken care of before I head down there in early August?
http://www.utmb.edu/auxiliaryenterprises/ParkingFacilities/index.htm

Here is the website for parking info. If you scroll down it lists rates for student parking. You can also get garage and surface lot parking. I had to get on a waiting list for the G4 rooftop parking. Not sure if you can go ahead and get on the list now or not. You may actually have to be enrolled to set up parking stuff. I am sure there is a phone number on the website you could call and ask.

Hi everyone- I am a current 3rd year and I am selling all of my 1st year books. I am offering them as a bundle for $200 or best offer. Here is a list all of them. Please email me ([email protected]) if you are interested.
Lauren Hess
Textbook of Biochemistry (Devlin-6th), Resolving Ethical Dilemmas (Lo-2nd),... First Aid for USMLE 2008, Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple, Essential Clinical Anatomy ( Moore-3rd), Behavioral Medicine in Primary care (Lange-2nd), Neuroscience (Purves-3rd), The Human Brain (Nolte-5th), High Yield Neuroanatomy (4th), Clinical Neuroanatomy-made ridiciously simple, Lippincotts Immunology, Lippincotts Pharmacology, Lippincotts Biochemistry, Basic Histology (Junqueira-11th), Medical Embryology (Langman’s 6th), Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (Katzung- 9th), Pharmacology Smart charts (Lange

Hey ya'll,

On one hand, med schools are looking for well-rounded individuals who have varied and diverse interests; HOWEVER, if volleyball takes up almost all your time then that tells the adcoms where your passion is. If this were in your personal statement I would think that you were a full-time athlete with a casual interest in med school....and I cannot overstate how important it is to communicate your PASSION and DRIVE to become a doctor, above all else. Choose your extracurriculars wisely.

So has anyone who lives on the island (student or not) used comcast for internet? If so, have you experienced bad service or heard of people who have? I want a good connection and have heard bad stories about comcast. Although not many options are available aside from maybe AT&T.

Any opinions or experiences?

I am a female medical resident traveling to UTHouston for an elective (Jan31 - Feb 25). I am looking for a shared space/room during that time. If anyone is willing to forward an email to their listserv, I would be very grateful. Thanks everyone and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

So has anyone who lives on the island (student or not) used comcast for internet? If so, have you experienced bad service or heard of people who have? I want a good connection and have heard bad stories about comcast. Although not many options are available aside from maybe AT&T.

Any opinions or experiences?

Can't speak for comcast internet (not completely thrilled with their cable though) but AT&T has been really good...no problems in the past year. Not sure how prices compare but at least service seems reliable. Sorry I don't know anything about comcast internet.

anybody gonna take the deferral option?

Members don't see this ad :)
7starmantis: Why? It's actually not a bad deal. If I were quite a bit younger I might consider it.

Meh, 10,000 compared to losing a year of earning potential isn't necessarily a great deal. Now if you're taking it off to travel and relax because you feel like you need the break, then go for it! But if you're doing it for the little bit of tuition break, it doesn't make financial sense.

Meh, 10,000 compared to losing a year of earning potential isn't necessarily a great deal. Now if you're taking it off to travel and relax because you feel like you need the break, then go for it! But if you're doing it for the little bit of tuition break, it doesn't make financial sense.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I wasn't clear. Its certainly not a financial opportunity, but for those who want to travel or relax, the scholarship is a great bonus, as is not having to apply again! :)

Well, originally there was an email offering 10k for deferring a year. Next, there was a personal email about a free year of tuition for deferring a year. Now, I'm told people have started getting phone calls about a full ride for taking a year off. I haven't gotten the call myself.

Well, originally there was an email offering 10k for deferring a year. Next, there was a personal email about a free year of tuition for deferring a year. Now, I'm told people have started getting phone calls about a full ride for taking a year off. I haven't gotten the call myself.

i agree w/ mantis. if i were a 4 year college grad, i'd take the full ride for a multitude of reasons, but at this point, i'd rather just get started.

i did get the call for the full ride. if you didn't get the call, it may be because they got all the deferrals they need. it was a sweet bit. sucks if u never even had the option :[

Anyone get a list of supplies that we need (dissection kit, diagnostic kit, etc) in one of the 3 info packets? I didn't, but would like to get this stuff online with time to spare.

Anyone get a list of supplies that we need (dissection kit, diagnostic kit, etc) in one of the 3 info packets? I didn't, but would like to get this stuff online with time to spare.

This was in one of our FB posts and is recommended, but I know lots of people who just get an apron and stethoscope until they see what they really need: ''GAR supplies: gloves, apron, dissection kit, and POM equipment: diagnostic kit, stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning fork (128hz), sphygmomanometer, and the eye card''

On another note, if you're not in the FB group, you should join. Lots of posts about books, unofficial gatherings to meet classmates, and just general discussions.

Where did you all go to get those supplies? I am in the FB group, but never use FB as much as I should.

On another note who is in town already? I kind of want to get started...I have been doing nothing but becoming more and increasingly more ******ed since graduating in December :banana: