UTMB Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7starmantis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would go ahead and start this.

Post questions, thoughts, ideas, etc.

Lets get to know our fellow classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else decided to commit to UTMB? I just visited again and cemented my decision. I can't wait to meet all of you future classmates :).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I haven't committed to UTMB yet but it was definitely one of my top choices. But I gotta say the more and more I think about it (esp the schedule) the more I think it would be the best fit.

How did you set up a second look?

I really like UTMB as well and am seriously considering it...I thought the students seemed genuinely happy to be there and they seemed relaxed inspite of the massive amounts of knowledge they have to retain.

Yeah, I had kinda a bad view of the students when I went there- I think because a couple of them that I came in contact with the day of and at the night before social seemed like gunners and kinda intense. But I was around a few 3rd years in a hospital setting and they all seemed pretty cool, relaxed, and happy. This is part of the reason I want to do a second look and check out the reception cause I'm a little confused on what type of students go to utmb.

hey guys, this is my most likely destination as well. For those of you going to the receptions, if you hear anything earth-shattering, would you mind posting it here for those unfortunate saps who have exams and whatnot?

How did you set up a second look?

I have friends at UTMB, and it was definitely no official. I went down there, stayed with him, sat in on a couple MCT lectures, and then I visited a 3rd year friend of mine who is in TKY to check that out.

As far as people being gunner's at the school, there are going to be gunner's everywhere! However, most of the people I know that are there are the most chill out of the people I know in medical school.

The schedule is awesome at UTMB as well, and you are able to have a lot of free time if you want. Of course, there is always more to study, so this is going to depend on you!

Is anyone going to the Dallas/Plano reception? I'll be there

I haven't made a 100% decision but am most likely headed UTMB way.

Welcome to the boards jth! I've actually been to Diana Texas.

:) Thanks. I've actually been checking out stuff on here for a while, and I just never posted. Haha, I'm surprised you've been to Diana! Are you from around here?

As far as people being gunner's at the school, there are going to be gunner's everywhere! However, most of the people I know that are there are the most chill out of the people I know in medical school.
yeah I agree completely. Everyone I know and have met at utmb (student and staff) seem way laid back.

:) Thanks. I've actually been checking out stuff on here for a while, and I just never posted. Haha, I'm surprised you've been to Diana! Are you from around here?

No, South Houston but dated a girl in McAllen for years. I think she had family there or something can't remember now.

hey guys, this is my most likely destination as well. For those of you going to the receptions, if you hear anything earth-shattering, would you mind posting it here for those unfortunate saps who have exams and whatnot?

Fo sho

Anyone going to the Houston (Bellaire) reception?

Last edited:
I'll be at the Dallas reception!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the UTMB 2014 SDN forums. I'm currently a 2nd year and I'll be glad to answer any questions about life at UTMB, classes, housing, medical frat life etc, through PM or on the forum. Congrats on your acceptance.

I'll be at the Dallas reception!

Sweet, you'll have to say hello then. My name is Jeremy Hall.

UTMB2012- Do you like being in TKY? I have met a few of your brothers and know one of them really well. Schindler and I grew up together, and I met Boyars and Chip this past weekend :)

Sweet, you'll have to say hello then. My name is Jeremy Hall.

UTMB2012- Do you like being in TKY? I have met a few of your brothers and know one of them really well. Schindler and I grew up together, and I met Boyars and Chip this past weekend :)

Why yes. Living there is awesome, but its pretty sweet for out of house guys too. We have a really balanced work hard/party hard atmosphere. Our in-house USMLE average last year was 253 (National average 220ish, UTMB average 230ish). Some of our traditions are pretty sweet and our parties are always pretty crazy (300-400+ people). http://www.thetakappapsi.com/ is our website that goes into more details.

About those gunners at the social...

I thought the social was the worst part of my interview experience at UTMB. The people present at the night before social were kind of lame. However, the students I met the next day and the one I stayed with were awesome. I told my host about how I felt about the social and she just commented '...rrrr... first years...' :rolleyes: I interviewed 9/11, that means they had only been in school what, like 1.5 weeks? Not surprising that they seem like 'gunners'. Gotta hit that ground running!

Why yes. Living there is awesome, but its pretty sweet for out of house guys too. We have a really balanced work hard/party hard atmosphere. Our in-house USMLE average last year was 253 (National average 220ish, UTMB average 230ish). Some of our traditions are pretty sweet and our parties are always pretty crazy (300-400+ people). http://www.thetakappapsi.com/ is our website that goes into more details.

Yeah, I e-mailed Kevin to gain more information. Thanks for the average. I knew it was over 240, but 253 is just insane! Your website was really cool as well. I'll be down at some point to check out the place.

Pretty much solidified UTMB as my choice. Just was seeing if anyone else out there was 100% besides jth0099.

No, South Houston but dated a girl in McAllen for years. I think she had family there or something can't remember now.

Haha, I think I may have met you, 7star; if I remember correctly, you were staying with two of my neighbors/classmates (won't mention names for anonymity's sake) at Carelton. We were still in GAR at the time.

Have any of you 100% UTMBers received any additional paperwork in the mail yet (besides the acceptance packet)?

Haha, I think I may have met you, 7star; if I remember correctly, you were staying with two of my neighbors/classmates (won't mention names for anonymity's sake) at Carelton. We were still in GAR at the time.

Wasn't me, I actually drove in that morning. Must have been some other really cool amazingly good looking guy you met. Strange that there would be two of us at one med school. :)

Have any of you 100% UTMBers received any additional paperwork in the mail yet (besides the acceptance packet)?

I haven't, but I received an e-mail today confirming that UTMB had received my acceptance letter (the blue sheet they sent). They said that they would be sending more paperwork in February- which I assume is to wait for post match classmates.

Hi everyone!!!

I'm Marcela and i've pretty much solified my decision to go to UTMB. I was going back and forth on my decision, but have pretty much decided that UTMB is where i wanna go. I went to the college station reception this week, and am prob gonna go visit the campus again in January,
Well just wanted to introduce myself. See you all next year!

Hi everyone!!!

I'm Marcela and i've pretty much solified my decision to go to UTMB. I was going back and forth on my decision, but have pretty much decided that UTMB is where i wanna go. I went to the college station reception this week, and am prob gonna go visit the campus again in January,

Awesome! Nice to meet you. Check out and join our facebook group of the same name, UTMB Class of 2014

Hi everyone!!!

Hey Marcela, welcome to the boards. You should join the facebook group as well.

I want to do a second look- have they sent you the dates?

Does UTMB stream their classes?

Does UTMB stream their classes?

They don't have live streams, but the lectures are recorded on a program called Tegrity. The powerpoint is synced with audio so you can follow along. Also, some profs have actual videos recorded during the lecture to go with it.

Hey, how much free printing are you allotted as a student?

"technically" 10 pages a day, but considering most ppl don't even go to the student center to print stuff, I think its fine to print more.

They don't have live streams, but the lectures are recorded on a program called Tegrity. The powerpoint is synced with audio so you can follow along. Also, some profs have actual videos recorded during the lecture to go with it.
Just wanted to add a little info to this response. Not all professors use Tegrity so some we have to go to or miss out on. For example, the radiology professor refused to use it and the POM faculty rarely use it. But I will say that most of the GAR and MCT lectures have been recorded.

Just wanted to add a little info to this response. Not all professors use Tegrity so some we have to go to or miss out on. For example, the radiology professor refused to use it and the POM faculty rarely use it. But I will say that most of the GAR and MCT lectures have been recorded.

True, but at the same time the ones that don't record their lectures are not very high-yield lectures anyways (all of POM....lol).

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in! I am an MS1 taking an MCT study break (test in two days). Let me know if you all have any questions on here or just PM me. I also live at TKY, so I can help Mr. UTMB2012 out on those questions.

Hey I'm going to be at the Jan 6th second look date... anyone else going to be there then?

no I ended up having to cancel at the last minute because I HAD to do something during that time... I wish I had been able to go though, but I'm glad I'll get to do the second look!

no I ended up having to cancel at the last minute because I HAD to do something during that time... I wish I had been able to go though, but I'm glad I'll get to do the second look!