UTMB Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no I ended up having to cancel at the last minute because I HAD to do something during that time... I wish I had been able to go though, but I'm glad I'll get to do the second look!

Awesome, well I hope it cements your decision!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year about to be done (whoo-hoo!) and can also answer any lingering questions about any of the years.

For the current med students,

what do you think about the problem based learning? Do you find it useful? Do you think it would be easier to learn without it? How do you know what to study?

Members don't see this ad :)

what do you think about the problem based learning? Do you find it useful? Do you think it would be easier to learn without it? How do you know what to study?

PBL serves its purpose. Some classes run it better than others. I myself find it useful most of the time. PBL is just another resource for material, so I wouldn't think it would be easier to learn without it. As far as knowing what to study, scribes and tutoring are both great resources.

PBL serves its purpose. Some classes run it better than others. I myself find it useful most of the time. PBL is just another resource for material, so I wouldn't think it would be easier to learn without it. As far as knowing what to study, scribes and tutoring are both great resources.

For all my fellow future UTMBers, I have heard that scribes is something you DO NOT want to miss out on. I've heard that we have one opportunity to buy it, and more so than any other tool out there, this will be the main thing we study from. Make sure you sign up for a copy when the opportunity arises. Everyone I know who has them currently says that they couldn't imagine living without them. Keep it in mind, and happy holidays everyone!

I think PBL is a great way to learn. At our school it's 3x a week from day one until the end of second year (a lot!). Though it can feel like "extra work" sometimes, I think a lot of times it makes learning better because it incorporates what we are learning in classes in a clinical way.

You know what to study based on how the case is written and the questions / learning issues (topics) they supply with it. After a while you get better and can figure it out for yourself but they still supply a list with every case. I think people are afraid that they just throw you into these cases where you have to figure out medicine for yourself but the majority of the time, the cases correlate with what is going on in lecture. So many people use scribes or lecture notes as a good starting point and MOST of the information is in there. What isn't there you look up - the groups split up topics and you present a topic to the group at the next meeting so it's very much collaborative. Then at the end of the week there is a wrap up where a doctor in the field presents what you should have accomplished that week.

It'd be a lie to say that everyone likes it though - this is what people complain about: it's extra work, you have to show up (can't just stay at home watching streaming lectures every day of the week), most facilitators are awesome but not all, sometimes you wish the facilitator would let you go through a case faster.

With that said, I think that most people would agree that it is a good way to learn even though they like to complain - the school is always making it better. I think there are some not so obvious ways that it benefits us:
- It pushes us to keep up with lecture material so we aren't cramming before exams
- The material sticks better (many of us remember cases from PBL and that hilarious thing so-and-so said once we are on wards / exams / step 1)
- We become very used to looking up clinical information and interpreting articles after basic science years (I think this skill would help you for the rest of your life)
- You get exposure to more nontraditional things in medicine (cost effectiveness of this treatment versus another / how much this lab test costs)

Of course I haven't had exposure to other ways of learning but I think the benefits of PBL are tremendous. By the end of 2nd year I did kind of get tired of it but you are also better at it to make cases go faster. One of the attendings who had been at the school for a long time told us that the quality of the students in 3rd year have gotten better since PBL because students are able to better think through patients clinically and articulate their plan to the team. I don't know if this is true or not but you can take it with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!

I think PBL is a great way to learn. At our school it's 3x a week from day one until the end of second year (a lot!). Though it can feel like "extra work" sometimes, I think a lot of times it makes learning better because it incorporates what we are learning in classes in a clinical way.

You know what to study based on how the case is written and the questions / learning issues (topics) they supply with it. After a while you get better and can figure it out for yourself but they still supply a list with every case. I think people are afraid that they just throw you into these cases where you have to figure out medicine for yourself but the majority of the time, the cases correlate with what is going on in lecture. So many people use scribes or lecture notes as a good starting point and MOST of the information is in there. What isn't there you look up - the groups split up topics and you present a topic to the group at the next meeting so it's very much collaborative. Then at the end of the week there is a wrap up where a doctor in the field presents what you should have accomplished that week.

It'd be a lie to say that everyone likes it though - this is what people complain about: it's extra work, you have to show up (can't just stay at home watching streaming lectures every day of the week), most facilitators are awesome but not all, sometimes you wish the facilitator would let you go through a case faster.

With that said, I think that most people would agree that it is a good way to learn even though they like to complain - the school is always making it better. I think there are some not so obvious ways that it benefits us:
- It pushes us to keep up with lecture material so we aren't cramming before exams
- The material sticks better (many of us remember cases from PBL and that hilarious thing so-and-so said once we are on wards / exams / step 1)
- We become very used to looking up clinical information and interpreting articles after basic science years (I think this skill would help you for the rest of your life)
- You get exposure to more nontraditional things in medicine (cost effectiveness of this treatment versus another / how much this lab test costs)

Of course I haven't had exposure to other ways of learning but I think the benefits of PBL are tremendous. By the end of 2nd year I did kind of get tired of it but you are also better at it to make cases go faster. One of the attendings who had been at the school for a long time told us that the quality of the students in 3rd year have gotten better since PBL because students are able to better think through patients clinically and articulate their plan to the team. I don't know if this is true or not but you can take it with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the detailed message, Tico. I think everyone will find it useful :)

Thanks everyone for replying. You have really helped. I was not sure how it worked and what the benefits vs. drawbacks were, but you've all made it much clearer.
I am feeling pretty gopod about it now that you have explained it. I think something that actively makes me look up stuff will be helpful. I also like the fact that we get to tie clinical cases to the basic sciene we are learning. I think that will make learning the pre-clinical sciences more interesting.

Thanks again!

hey all, hope you guys had a good christmas.

does anyone know about scholarships to UTMB, and if they send anything out before we have to decide between schools? thanks.

hey all, hope you guys had a good christmas.

does anyone know about scholarships to UTMB, and if they send anything out before we have to decide between schools? thanks.

I never got a very clear answer to that question so I'm thinking that means no. I doubt they will get anything out before the deadline, but you never know. Hopefully they will, it would make sense to.

What are the good apartment/condos to live in?

One more response for the PBL question. Even though it is a little extra work at the time it is not drastically so. You do have to go 3x a week for 2 hours, but all the information that you either learn in class or look up as learning issues is all you will really be tested in. Yes, the material is tested on but I didn't study it at all since it is covered pretty well in the class itself.

And yes, Scribes are a must have. For me studying is two-fold. I watch the lectures 2-3 times each (no I do not usually go to lecture) and then study/memorize Scribes the rest of the time. You will find out what works best for you after a class or two.

This was my response to the same question on the FB group. Hope it helps.
Many people live in:
Apartments (East end - close to campus): Carlton Courtyard, Casa Caribe, Villa Marina, Chateu Lafitte
Apartments (West end - far from campus): The Park at Cedar Lawn, Village by the Sea
Condos: Port aux Prince

These are just of people I know, this is by no means an all inclusive list.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are people wearing to the second looks?

I'm going to the wednesday one!

I looked at almost every apartment complex on the island - you can ask me more specific questions but I decided on living towards the west end a little further from campus because it was nicer. I live very comfortably in an apartment in Campeche Cove - there are 2-3 complexes in that area that you can check out. You can get something pretty nice for very cheap if you look around.

"Far" is also relative to Galveston terms. The drive is usually appalling to many in my class who prefer to bike to class but it just takes me 13-15 min to drive to school and 20 min if there is tourist traffic. Coming from a big city in college, I think this is still really close.

Some people live even further out in League City or Pearland.

Congratulations everyone!

What are people wearing to the second looks?

I'm going to the wednesday one!

Thats a good question, hadn't thought about it much. Dont plan on wearing a suit or anything unless I hear different. Also going Wednesday.

I looked at almost every apartment complex on the island - you can ask me more specific questions but I decided on living towards the west end a little further from campus because it was nicer. I live very comfortably in an apartment in Campeche Cove - there are 2-3 complexes in that area that you can check out. You can get something pretty nice for very cheap if you look around.

"Far" is also relative to Galveston terms. The drive is usually appalling to many in my class who prefer to bike to class but it just takes me 13-15 min to drive to school and 20 min if there is tourist traffic. Coming from a big city in college, I think this is still really close.

Congratulations everyone!

I might PM you with a few questions if you dont mind.

Hi guys

I have another question about the curriculum. Since UTMB has half days, and there is PBL 3x a week, do you feel as though you have enough time in lecture to cover the topics needed or do you feel the lectures are very rushed, or don't cover all the info.
I love the UTMB curriculum, I'm just afraid its too good to be true. Is it really to good to be true or am i being paranoid?
Can anyone tell me what you think about this?

Thanks!

Hi guys

I have another question about the curriculum. Since UTMB has half days, and there is PBL 3x a week, do you feel as though you have enough time in lecture to cover the topics needed or do you feel the lectures are very rushed, or don't cover all the info.
I love the UTMB curriculum, I'm just afraid its too good to be true. Is it really to good to be true or am i being paranoid?

Thanks!

You're paranoid. Most people don't even go to lectures and just use tegrity. I've gone through a few classes were i didn't look at lecture powerpoints or attend lecture at all and did fine. I just stuck to the readings and scribes. UTMB really allows you to study as you see fit. Hence, the beauty of the "half day" (more like quarter day every other day) schedule.

They're crazy if they live that far.

Not saying it's not possible or completely doable, but have fun doing a minimum 45 minute one-way commute. If you live right off 45, you might be able to do it in 35 minutes with no traffic from the UTMB campus.

does anyone know about the campus tour this week? i didnt get any info about where we are supposed to meet or park?

Hi guys

Thanks!

Good question - the answer is that it does not feel rushed. If the topic is too broad, sometimes the lecturer gets more than one lecture slot (2 or 3 hours). We did not have Tegrity our year (streaming lecture system) but have seen it and it's awesome. It IS too good to be true! I really liked our curriculum and I think it's partly why we do well on USMLE steps 1 and 2.

If you want more, you can come to tutoring sessions (free) where upper level students review lectures again. The school is nice enough to pay the tutors. There are a variety of options depending on the groups but it's usually twice a week for 1.5 hrs each time.

So its official, I've declined everything but UTMB!! :soexcited:

However..... Did anyone have trouble clicking the "decline" button on the other schools? :scared:

I just didn't like the idea of declining any acceptance!! :laugh:

hah yeah i still cant bring myself to decline them yet.

anybody know who i should email to ask about scholarships?

So its official, I've declined everything but UTMB!! :soexcited:

However..... Did anyone have trouble clicking the "decline" button on the other schools? :scared:

I just didn't like the idea of declining any acceptance!! :laugh:
What was the deciding factor that made you choose UTMB? and where else did you prematch at? ... if you don't mind me asking. I'm struggling with my match rank order and prematched at UTMB. I am looking for some incite. I really liked UTMB but also thought highly of other schools i interviewed at.

What was the deciding factor that made you choose UTMB? and where else did you prematch at? ... if you don't mind me asking. I'm struggling with my match rank order and prematched at UTMB. I am looking for some incite. I really liked UTMB but also thought highly of other schools i interviewed at.

I pre-matched at Tech Lubbock and A&M as well as UTMB. I decided on UTMB because of the curriculum, half days, PBL, graduate physician network, lots of clinical "hands on" experience as a student, some great "famous" heads of specialties, etc etc etc. Its really individual I'm sure, but I loved the feel at UTMB, I'm pretty laid back and think it fits my personality. I'm from the area so would love to be back close to family and friends. Lots of things, I just think UTMB has the best curriculum and lecture schedule and will lead me to be the best physician I can be.

[email protected] - Carol Cromie handles financial aid matters.

Yeah, thanks!

I pre-matched at Tech Lubbock and A&M as well as UTMB. I decided on UTMB because of the curriculum, half days, PBL, graduate physician network, lots of clinical "hands on" experience as a student, some great "famous" heads of specialties, etc etc etc. Its really individual I'm sure, but I loved the feel at UTMB, I'm pretty laid back and think it fits my personality. I'm from the area so would love to be back close to family and friends. Lots of things, I just think UTMB has the best curriculum and lecture schedule and will lead me to be the best physician I can be.

Thanks those are good reasons. I liked the atmosphere there as well. i need to hurry and solidify my decision... Only a couple of days left until the match rankings have to be in.

Out of all the other schools in Texas, Baylor was the only school I even considered over UTMB. UTMB is pretty awesome when it comes to being a medical school. Sure, you are still going to study a ton at UTMB, but the environment and the way things are set up are more conducive to what you actually need to learn. Here were my pros for UTMB:

"Half" day schedule
Block curriculum - a biggie since you only have to focus on one class at a time and you won't have 2 tests every week like some other schools....
Island living - really laid back - we get to go out, drink, have fun, and be merry
Lots of research opportunities if you get interested or need a resume buff
Faculty are pretty chill (for the most part) and we have a few famous ones (I know, every school does)
PBL - yes, you get to be Dr. House
Austin rotation opportunities
Big global health initiative = summer abroad between MS1 & MS2 if you want
Board scores - your classes prepare you for boards, but you still gotta put a lot of work into it (or so I hear)
Medical fraternities

I am sure there are a few more but it is lunch time. Hope that helps!

A couple questions for UTMB2012:

I've asked a couple MS2s and they have assured me that POM gets much better second year. I have to say that POM is horrible. Maybe the worst educational experience I've had. Would you agree that it is significantly better second year?

Does the material get more interesting in second year? So far I am glad all the material is relatively easy and studying a lot isn't necessary, but I have been rather bored. (This is in reference to all the real classes, not POM).

A couple questions for UTMB2012:

I've asked a couple MS2s and they have assured me that POM gets much better second year. I have to say that POM is horrible. Maybe the worst educational experience I've had. Would you agree that it is significantly better second year?

Does the material get more interesting in second year? So far I am glad all the material is relatively easy and studying a lot isn't necessary, but I have been rather bored. (This is in reference to all the real classes, not POM).

Yes I absolutely hated POM 1. Frankly, I compare it to hazing to be initiated into medical school. POM2 is vastly better, more organized, and actually relevant. You won't feel like you are wasting time studying for it (only takes like 1 day to study for POM tests) because some of the stuff you can use on your basic science courses. Dr. Karnath's lectures are actually worth going to. So, yes once you are "initiated" into medical school, your POM experience will improve greatly.

What is so bad about POM 1 ?

ROFL - I actually liked POM 1 but I think it is mainly facilitator dependent (mine were hilarious)

I think people tend to not like it because it's not as organized as our other classes (kind of a hodge podge of stuff - physical exam skills, statistics, etc). I liked it though mainly because: it is more active learning, and I mentioned my facilitators were awesome. But yes POM2 is better / more organized as it goes by organ system and Dr. Karnath is amazing.

This is really jumping the gun but a lot of applicants have been asking me about what scores they need for _______ specialty / what is important for ______ specialty / if they need research. (questions that I never considered 4 years ago but can actually be pretty important).

I try to answer in generalities but attached are two documents that the school sent us from the AAMC that should somewhat give you a more concrete idea. Don't get stressed out by this as it is WAY early to figure out what you want to do! Just keep it in the back of your mind.

The bottom line is to choose whichever school that:
1) You think you will be happiest at (and will probably do better on tests / Step exams)
2) Gives you the most opportunities. This way you can achieve the some of the things on the list of things residency directors value and be a unique applicant in 4 years down the line for whatever field you choose
3) Gives you the foundation to be an excellent physician

If you can accomplish this then you will probably get into which ever residency you can think of.

Document too large -- 2nd link below
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

Attachments

• programresultsbyspecialty.pdf
    414.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
What is so bad about POM 1 ?
1. The course directors are abysmal. They are three pediatricians with horrible personalities; they seem much more like kindergarten teachers than doctors.

2. You're going to feel like you aren't learning anything. The physical exam is ridiculous. They basically want us to just go through the motions without knowing what we are even looking for. One particularly bad example is that they want us to shine the ophthalmoscope in the patients' eyes but they didn't teach us at all about how to look for anything important. It all feels like a waste of our time.

3. The small group discussions range from neutral to annoying/angering. Med students cannot discuss ethics.

4. Site visits. Completely worthless. You shadow a doctor for a couple hours and it's usually primary care. I gave a couple flu shots and watched them talk to patients about very routine problems. Learned almost nothing.

5. Home site visit. They give you a lame list of questions to ask such as their heroes, goals, and dreams. When I got there the lady was severely brain damaged and didn't even know what state she was in. I basically sat there for 45 minutes while the nurse asked her caretaker a few questions.

I am yet to meet anyone in our class who doesn't dislike POM. I came in with the attitude that I would probably like POM. "It's the class where you learn how to be a doctor!" Wrong.

Other than POM, UTMB is a pretty good school though.

Lol, you guys are killing me here. I am sure that you guys are trying to accomplish something constructive with this discussion on POM, but it doesn't seem to help win over future UTMBers! I'm 100% committed, but for those waffling, can we focus more on the benefits of UTMB.

For example, top USMLE scores in the state (which may not seem important to some of you applying who aren't thinking a few years down the road, but more than anything else this is going to determine your future residency), island living, St Vincent's free clinic which is a student run clinic unique to the school that offers hands on experience from the first very first class day, the wonderful schedule, Tegrity, tons of intramurals, the most extensive alumni network in the state, etc. etc.

For anyone worried about the state of UTMB and its future, there was recently an article in the Texas Medical Association magazine specifically detailing how the campus was doing really well after a large chunk of money was allocated to the school by the state for repairs and improvements. Many of these repairs have already been finished, and the article predicted that the school would be much better off than it was before Ike. By the time we the class of 2014 are hitting the wards everything should be more than on track, which honestly, they already are.

Hope this helps some of you guys that are waffling. Oh, and on another small note. I know ~ 10 people in different phases of their medical education down there, and 4 physicians who graduated from UTMB. Not a single was upset with their medical education or UTMB. In fact, most said they couldn't have imagined themselves anywhere else (even though many didn't match to their desired locations).

Good luck guys!:)

Lol, you guys are killing me here. I am sure that you guys are trying to accomplish something constructive with this discussion on POM, but it doesn't seem to help win over future UTMBers! I'm 100% committed, but for those waffling, can we focus more on the benefits of UTMB.

Lol, I had that same thought, I'm totally committed as well though. Although I'm ok with hearing some of the negative, at least its honest. I'm sure there will be things that frustrate us in every part of our life and education, if POM is the worst UTMB has to offer, I think its speaks volumes!! :thumbup:

haha - no worries! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and it's human nature to complain. I'm honestly not lying but I actually liked practice of medicine 1 - so keep an open mind when you start! I think if you remember that the goal of first year POM is to learn normal findings (how to do a normal heart, lung, eye exam etc) and second year is when you learn what abnormal PE findings are (by organ system) then it makes it better.

I also echo what jth0099 said about other physicians - I am glad I chose this school and have gotten great residency interview offers. Y'all have an exciting 4 years ahead!

finally declined all my other acceptances. it was weird to see they took them off my match list, so it looked like i only interviewed at 4 schools.

i interviewed on the very first day. i think it was august 7th.

dude. i was totally playing ping pong too.

haha yeah thats me. badass

has anyone who has already sent their transcripts from the fall to UTMB gotten any kind of reply saying they received them?

has anyone who has already sent their transcripts from the fall to UTMB gotten any kind of reply saying they received them?

I sent my transcript in Dec. 21st and havent gotten any response either. I bet they won't send anything saying they received them but will if they have not.

Ok so I just accepted a seat at UTMB som and my main questions involve this summer (prior to first semester)....I want to use it wisely so,

1. At what point did you guys start your apartment hunting?
2. At what point did you guys start buying textbooks and all school related materials?
3. At what point did you guys finally move into your apartment (how long before class started)
4. Are there any school related activities or medical related activities that are available to the incoming newbies that should be participated in?

Oh, one other question...I haven't sent any transcript of any kind in to UTMB other than what was on my tmdsas. Should I send my fall transcripts in or wait until after this spring semester is over?

I guess one post-last question: is theresa silva the best contact person for matriculation questions related to the school (such as the transcript question)? Thanks everyone for any advice