UTMB Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok so I just accepted a seat at UTMB som and my main questions involve this summer (prior to first semester)....I want to use it wisely so,

1. At what point did you guys start your apartment hunting?

I started in July but I've heard of some people starting as early as March. You can call ahead and ask if certain apartments have waitlists for August availabilities.

2. At what point did you guys start buying textbooks and all school related materials?

Don't sweat it - you get tons of info / support when school starts. Be on the lookout in the mail to order Scribes (notes from class before you) which almost everyone gets. Otherwise before every block, you have orientation where they tell you "suggested" books and then the upperclassmen tell you what books to buy / not buy. Though I will make a plug and say that as a 4th year graduating I will be wanting to sell all my books at a very reduced cost!

3. At what point did you guys finally move into your apartment (how long before class started)

August a few days before so I could get settled. I think the first week is just orientation so it's pretty easy to move in / get adjusted regardless of when you move.

4. Are there any school related activities or medical related activities that are available to the incoming newbies that should be participated in?

Anything you want! I think the student organizations mail you a packet of flyers of all the opportunities. An easy example I can think of is St. Vincent's clinic (student run clinic for community) if you want to get in and start being a "doctor" right away. But don't feel like you have to - don't feel bad enjoying senior year!

Oh, one other question...I haven't sent any transcript of any kind in to UTMB other than what was on my tmdsas. Should I send my fall transcripts in or wait until after this spring semester is over?

Have no idea - the best thing is to email or better yet, calling is always faster and easier.

I guess one post-last question: is theresa silva the best contact person for matriculation questions related to the school (such as the transcript question)? Thanks everyone for any advice

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much for the response...very helpful :)

W00t, received my official acceptance letter in the mail today! :love:

I figured that letter signified the official transfer from "pre-med" to "MS0" occurred, so I finally felt justified posting in an allo thread :laugh: Yes, I'm a dork but such a happy dork! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone on being accepted to UTMB. I am a first year student if you all have any questions about the classes. While I do not personally enjoy what we are learning as first years, I definitely like UTMB for the most part.

Hey everyone I'm also going to be joining in the class of 2014. Quick question, is anyone else looking into the Global Health program? I signed up saying that I was interested during the interview day and was just wondering who else was interested in it. Also, are any current students involved in it right now with any opinions?

Thanks

Hey everyone I'm also going to be joining in the class of 2014. Quick question, is anyone else looking into the Global Health program? I signed up saying that I was interested during the interview day and was just wondering who else was interested in it. Also, are any current students involved in it right now with any opinions?

Thanks

I've been thinking about it myself. I have a friend (4th yr) who has done it and loved it. There are a few extra classes as I understand it and the international trips, but I'm interested in it as well.

I've been thinking about it myself. I have a friend (4th yr) who has done it and loved it. There are a few extra classes as I understand it and the international trips, but I'm interested in it as well.

Cool, I also saw there would be a few more classes to take but this has been something I have been interested in for a long time (Global Health) and is part of the reason why I chose UTMB. :D

Is anyone looking to join TKY? The average scores someone posted on the first page(?) seem pretty impressive.

Is anyone looking to join TKY? The average scores someone posted on the first page(?) seem pretty impressive.

If you would like to ask some questions about TKY feel free to PM me or ask on here. We do consistently do very well on step 1.

Hi Guys, congrats on getting into UTMB. I'm posting this on behalf of my little sister who will be starting with you guys. We are looking for an incoming female student to share a condo with her. I'm currently a resident at UTMB and will be leaving the condo to her. Its a 2 bedroom condo located within walking distance to campus and in an area of town called fish village. If you are interested you can sent me an email at [email protected]. I'll give you the dets and sent you some pics.

Thanks,
Abby

If you would like to ask some questions about TKY feel free to PM me or ask on here. We do consistently do very well on step 1.

Hey thanks for the response, I went to the website someone posted and tried to contact someone about potentially rushing but I haven't received a reply. What type of benefits would a member have that doesn't live in the fraternity house?

Hey thanks for the response, I went to the website someone posted and tried to contact someone about potentially rushing but I haven't received a reply. What type of benefits would a member have that doesn't live in the fraternity house?

Everything except, the rent cost. Out of house members are still eligible for in house tutoring, a meal plan, and a bunch of other perks that the in-house members receive.

I was just wondering what people thought about the pre-matriculation program? I wasn't a science major and have been out of a "sciencey" frame of my mind for 2 years so I could see how it would be useful. However, I also am less enthusiastic about moving to Galveston immediately after wrapping up school in May. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm a bad applicant, but I hadn't even heard of it until about two days ago. Dont know anything about it, but not planning on it at this point.

I guess I'm a bad applicant, but I hadn't even heard of it until about two days ago. Dont know anything about it, but not planning on it at this point.

I knew many schools had them but I just realized UTMB had one too the other day.

has anyone who prematched gotten anything from the school since the match?

I was just wondering what people thought about the pre-matriculation program? I wasn't a science major and have been out of a "sciencey" frame of my mind for 2 years so I could see how it would be useful. However, I also am less enthusiastic about moving to Galveston immediately after wrapping up school in May. Thoughts?

I may be wrong, but is the pre-mat only offered by invitation to students from educationally, economically, or geographically disadvantaged backgrounds.....or can anyone take it?

I may be wrong, but is the pre-mat only offered by invitation to students from educationally, economically, or geographically disadvantaged backgrounds.....or can anyone take it?

Anyone can do it, though it was originally intended for those cases.

I didn't go and I wasn't a science major either. They will teach all of the same material during the school year. I would recommend against it for strong students.

Last edited:
Same here :)

Hey would you guys from the Houston area post when you receive your 2nd mail-out so that us DFWers can be on the lookout for it? I know it'll be mailed out at the end of this month.

Same here :)

Hey would you guys from the Houston area post when you receive your 2nd mail-out so that us DFWers can be on the lookout for it? I know it'll be mailed out at the end of this month.

For sure! :thumbup:

From Katie Lipsmeyer's email: "The first mailout will be sent at the end of this month, and there will be more documents for you to review and sign in this packet."

So I expect it maybe in a couple weeks.

Hi, I'm an MS2 at UTMB and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

1. At what point did you guys start your apartment hunting? - I started in Feb., but I would not suggest doing it online since I thought I found a really nice place to live and it was next to a strip club. I knew I wanted to be off the island, and I think it was a good thing, esp. after Ike. There are a lot of shady places in Galveston unless you want to pay a lot of $$$.

2. At what point did you guys start buying textbooks and all school related materials? Do not buy anything until you start school except for scribes. I did pre-mat and ended up with a lot of books I never used.

3. At what point did you guys finally move into your apartment (how long before class started) I moved in 2 weeks before the classes started, and had some extra time because I skipped the welcome wagon stuff. Now they make you attend though.

4. Are there any school related activities or medical related activities that are available to the incoming newbies that should be participated in? Not that I know of. I would recommend PREP esp. if you just want to have an advantage, it really helped me in first year.

Oh, one other question...I haven't sent any transcript of any kind in to UTMB other than what was on my tmdsas. Should I send my fall transcripts in or wait until after this spring semester is over? I don't know.

I guess one post-last question: is theresa silva the best contact person for matriculation questions related to the school (such as the transcript question)? Thanks everyone for any advice[/QUOTE] I don't know either.

Ok got a question. How soon does financial aid (loans) come through? If one were thinking of using some for housing would it come through in time to move, buy computer, etc?

Ok got a question. How soon does financial aid (loans) come through? If one were thinking of using some for housing would it come through in time to move, buy computer, etc?

I think first year, it came the week before classes started.

Hi, I'm an MS2 at UTMB and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

1. At what point did you guys start your apartment hunting? - I started in Feb., but I would not suggest doing it online since I thought I found a really nice place to live and it was next to a strip club. I knew I wanted to be off the island, and I think it was a good thing, esp. after Ike. There are a lot of shady places in Galveston unless you want to pay a lot of $$$.

2. At what point did you guys start buying textbooks and all school related materials? Do not buy anything until you start school except for scribes. I did pre-mat and ended up with a lot of books I never used.

3. At what point did you guys finally move into your apartment (how long before class started) I moved in 2 weeks before the classes started, and had some extra time because I skipped the welcome wagon stuff. Now they make you attend though.

4. Are there any school related activities or medical related activities that are available to the incoming newbies that should be participated in? Not that I know of. I would recommend PREP esp. if you just want to have an advantage, it really helped me in first year.

Oh, one other question...I haven't sent any transcript of any kind in to UTMB other than what was on my tmdsas. Should I send my fall transcripts in or wait until after this spring semester is over? I don't know.

I guess one post-last question: is theresa silva the best contact person for matriculation questions related to the school (such as the transcript question)? Thanks everyone for any advice
I don't know either.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of PREP, could you elaborate on that? This is an event that occurs the summer prior to MS1? Thank you for post...also very, very helpful :)

So no luck on using it to purchase a laptop....

Lol, I had just opened a new credit card. So i had a yr of no interest. So, i bought mine in April and just paid it off on August. However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.

So class starts August 30 for us, isn't that crazy late compared to everybody else? Whats up with that?

Any of you guys get your packet in the mail? I got mine today and now get to go sift through decades of papers to find my vaccination records....or go get shots. :D

Any of you guys get your packet in the mail? I got mine today and now get to go sift through decades of papers to find my vaccination records....or go get shots. :D

Dude, seriously. I'm thinking of just getting 8000 shots.... :laugh: My poor immune system is not gonna know what happened!

UTMB2012, what books do you recommend we actually buy for NHB? Thanks.

Anyone lived at the "Club of the Isle" apartments out in Campeche Cove? How is the commute to campus and how is living at that complex. Or if you have any other suggestions about apartments, please feel free to give your opinion

UTMB2012, what books do you recommend we actually buy for NHB? Thanks.
I just bought Nolte. Most of the lab images and lecture materials come straight from there. Now is also the time to start looking at Webpath for all of your classes from here on out. It can be found through Blackboard. Also, I have been recommending to everyone that asks these 2 books: Costanzo Physiology and Gojan Pathology . Costanzo basically has a chapter dedicated to each organ system and gives a brief overview of the physiology. The way I would recommend using it is to read it within the first few days of the class (normally only 50 pages or so). This is not nearly the detail you will need to know information, but this is a great way to get your feet wet with the material and kind of gives you the big picture for the course you are about to start. Goljan is just a good book to start to digest now. It contains the pathology you are going to want to be familiar with for boards. It will have more path than u will see on your course exams, but you can get from it the pertinent material. Hope that helps.

Neuro and Human Behavior, 4th basic science course of 1st year.

Ah, was thinking of something for us.

Hey, got a question for current students.

As I understand it, you can take out student loans past tuition costs up to a specific amount. This amount is determined based on cost of living etc, is that correct? If so, does anyone know where I could find how much UTMB allows for living expenses etc, in student loan amounts? Would like to get on top of budgeting and it would help in finding housing as well.

Ah, was thinking of something for us.

Hey, got a question for current students.

As I understand it, you can take out student loans past tuition costs up to a specific amount. This amount is determined based on cost of living etc, is that correct? If so, does anyone know where I could find how much UTMB allows for living expenses etc, in student loan amounts? Would like to get on top of budgeting and it would help in finding housing as well.

Cap is something rediculously high like 35k for first yr and like 40 something after that.

Hello everyone.

I am debating whether I should live close to campus despite quality or look for something nicer further away. Can anyone help me out with a couple issues I'm considering?

Convenience, as in exactly how much time is spent on campus vs. off campus
Safety
Any other unforeseen issues

I appreciate any help I can get.

Hello everyone.

I am debating whether I should live close to campus despite quality or look for something nicer further away. Can anyone help me out with a couple issues I'm considering?

Convenience, as in exactly how much time is spent on campus vs. off campus
Safety
Any other unforeseen issues

I appreciate any help I can get.

Good questions, I'm interested in hearing current students answers as well. Oh and welcome to the boards by the way.

I can tell you from living close now and growing up here, the west side is both nicer and safer. Galveston is not 5th ward or anything, but it is important to be safe. My wife has to leave for work (off the island) around 4am, so safety is a huge concern for us in finding a place on the island. I have some friends who live just west of 61st street and it takes them just about 10 minutes to get to class. Obviously the further west the longer it will take.

They even said its not so bad during special events because you can just go through the back roads (they usually just stay on seawall).

Still interested in hearing the other info.

if anyone can provide ballpark budgeting figures, that would be swell. just something to orient myself with

Good questions, I'm interested in hearing current students answers as well. Oh and welcome to the boards by the way.
It's actually quite safe in the areas near the school. I live in Fish Village and have never had any trouble.

It's actually quite safe in the areas near the school. I live in Fish Village and have never had any trouble.

Good to hear it. I would think close proximity to the school should be pretty safe, but in some of the neighborhoods around, it gets a little sketchy. not really unsafe, but not as safe I guess. It was worse when I was growing up, so I'm sure its different now. An old friend of mine works GPD, I'll have to get his opinions to.

Just wondering, if you do prep, you don't have to buy the books?? What do you need if you do it? I am thinking about doing it, I been out of the studying mode and school world for a year. So I think I need it just to get into the routine of it. But i also do not want to pay a bunch of money for books i will never use.

Just wondering, if you do prep, you don't have to buy the books?? What do you need if you do it? I am thinking about doing it, I been out of the studying mode and school world for a year. So I think I need it just to get into the routine of it. But i also do not want to pay a bunch of money for books i will never use.

The books used in prep are the same used during your first year courses.