UTMB Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does anyone know anything about the student insurance? Like when you can enroll, pricing, etc? I will most likely want to sign up for it but the only response I got was to call student wellness with any questions. If its something that is addressed later I dont want to rush it, but I do want to get the info and get enrolled with it.

Any current students remember if you had to get it going yourself or if they presented it to you later?

Members don't see this ad.

i have same questions about insurance.

So does anyone know anything about the student insurance? Like when you can enroll, pricing, etc? I will most likely want to sign up for it but the only response I got was to call student wellness with any questions. If its something that is addressed later I dont want to rush it, but I do want to get the info and get enrolled with it.

Any current students remember if you had to get it going yourself or if they presented it to you later?

These 2 links should be of use:

https://www.uhcsr.com/Public/ClientBrochures/2009-50-1-Brochure-v3-NOC1.pdf
http://www.utmb.edu/studentwellness/insurance/MegaLifeFrequentlyAskedQuestions.html

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah looked over them today quite a bit and they are very informative about the insurance itself. But they dont really give me specifics of when to enroll and if we need to sit down with someone about it or just do it on our own, etc. I also found a document on their site that I guess shows the pricing, but would feel better talking to someone about it at least. Also, Terry's email from that site is apparently incorrect. :)

Yeah looked over them today quite a bit and they are very informative about the insurance itself. But they dont really give me specifics of when to enroll and if we need to sit down with someone about it or just do it on our own, etc. I also found a document on their site that I guess shows the pricing, but would feel better talking to someone about it at least.
There was a representative from the health insurance company at Welcome Weekend this year to answer any questions. But that's the weekend before orientation so I don't know if you want to wait that long.

A second year girl said the insurance doesn't cover very well and that she was glad she also had Medicaid to lighten the financial burden. I also don't think they cover preexisting conditions. Damn insurance companies.

There was a representative from the health insurance company at Welcome Weekend this year to answer any questions. But that's the weekend before orientation so I don't know if you want to wait that long.

A second year girl said the insurance doesn't cover very well and that she was glad she also had Medicaid to lighten the financial burden. I also don't think they cover preexisting conditions. Damn insurance companies.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like maybe some coverage has changed because it doesn't look to terribly bad. Also it says pre-existings are covered if you have had continuous insurance coverage. Its a pretty decent policy according to the pdf brochure. Low deductible and copays, 80% after that. Also, its cheaper than what I'm paying for insurance through my wife's work.

But, what do I know, I need to really research it a bit I guess. Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm sure I'll find other questions for you too. :)

Is there like a page with all the frats at UTMB? I know of only two so far, TKY and Phi Chi Zeta.

Is there like a page with all the frats at UTMB? I know of only two so far, TKY and Phi Chi Zeta.

There is not a site with all of the fraternities on one place. However, Alex is the president of Phi Beta Pi, the other active fraternity at UTMB. He is probably the best point of contact for information about that fraternity. His email is [email protected]. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like maybe some coverage has changed because it doesn't look to terribly bad. Also it says pre-existings are covered if you have had continuous insurance coverage. Its a pretty decent policy according to the pdf brochure. Low deductible and copays, 80% after that. Also, its cheaper than what I'm paying for insurance through my wife's work.

But, what do I know, I need to really research it a bit I guess. Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm sure I'll find other questions for you too. :)

I called united healthcare about this particular plan. They were EXTREMELY informative. The policy for the 2010-2011 year won't be updated until later (like june or july later is what she estimated). She suggested calling wellness center and letting them know you plan to enroll in the policy and are just waiting on them to update their website with the current policy. The price she quoted to me was $1,100 for the year and it needs to be paid upfront when you enroll. There are options to buy it quarterly for $275 + (i can't remember the exact amount). Hope this helps. It did for me!

I called united healthcare about this particular plan. They were EXTREMELY informative. The policy for the 2010-2011 year won't be updated until later (like june or july later is what she estimated). She suggested calling wellness center and letting them know you plan to enroll in the policy and are just waiting on them to update their website with the current policy. The price she quoted to me was $1,100 for the year and it needs to be paid upfront when you enroll. There are options to buy it quarterly for $275 + (i can't remember the exact amount). Hope this helps. It did for me!

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll call them and do just that.

Thanks!

There is not a site with all of the fraternities on one place. However, Alex is the president of Phi Beta Pi, the other active fraternity at UTMB. He is probably the best point of contact for information about that fraternity. His email is [email protected]. Good luck with your search.

actually i found this.

UTMB professional medical fraternities include Alpha Kappa Kappa (AKK), Phi Rho Sigma, Phi Chi, and Phi Beta Pi.

do they still exist? you said you only know of 3 active fraternities.

actually i found this.

UTMB professional medical fraternities include Alpha Kappa Kappa (AKK), Phi Rho Sigma, Phi Chi, and Phi Beta Pi.

do they still exist? you said you only know of 3 active fraternities.

I know people still live at Phi Rho, I don't think they really get together or anything though, its pretty much like a dorm from what I hear and I"m not sure about the status of AKK.

Hey so I'm looking at getting a new laptop before starting school. To any current students, do you guys use your laptops a lot, or just leave them at home and use there here and there, etc? Also, is there any UTMB discount with anyone or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I'm looking at getting a new laptop before starting school. To any current students, do you guys use your laptops a lot, or just leave them at home and use there here and there, etc? Also, is there any UTMB discount with anyone or anything?

My laptop is essentially an extension of my body, but I prefer studying outside of my house. Yeah there are discount programs, I know for sure Mac and Dell have them, not sure about others.

My laptop is essentially an extension of my body, but I prefer studying outside of my house. Yeah there are discount programs, I know for sure Mac and Dell have them, not sure about others.

Awesome, thanks for the response. You know how to go about getting in those discount programs?

if i were you, i'd hold off. these discounts aren't really that great, and pretty much anyone can get them. i regularly check slickdeals.net and other sites like this. sometimes there are MASSIVE discounts on laptops. mine was 2.1k retail and i got 1k knocked off. although this was a couple years ago, this laptop still runs better than most things under 800$ out there.

if i were you, i'd hold off. these discounts aren't really that great, and pretty much anyone can get them. i regularly check slickdeals.net and other sites like this. sometimes there are MASSIVE discounts on laptops. mine was 2.1k retail and i got 1k knocked off. although this was a couple years ago, this laptop still runs better than most things under 800$ out there.

Yeah, I'm trying to check all avenues right now. Thanks for the link. The dell student discounts dont really seem that great anyway.

Man, I wish we had some kind of spring welcome weekend too. oh well, august it is. whatre you guys gonna do this summer?

I'm a little bit bummed because I'm one class short of my degree, and only this one specific class will satisfy my graduation requirements. It's not too big of a deal but it runs from june 6 to august 12 :(

I know, the week before utmb orientation weekend.

Has anyone taken a class this close to the start date and if so, did you run into any problems or complications with your utmb registration and transcripts and all that? I plan on being in constant communication with the school, but still any advice or forewarnings would be appreciated.

Just FYI, I called the bookstore and got the member ID for the Dell discount and apparently it is still valid (she wasn't sure, its a couple years old). So anyone interested give them a call (or PM me, I think I still have it somewhere).

The discount isn't amazing, but its decent I think, so if your going that way anyway, might be worth it.

what is the policy on drug testing at UTMB? Do we need to go have one before we are enrolled (with the TB test, immunizations, etc.)? Or is it something that we do prior to clinical rotations?

what is the policy on drug testing at UTMB? Do we need to go have one before we are enrolled (with the TB test, immunizations, etc.)? Or is it something that we do prior to clinical rotations?

from what i heard, they don't do it until 3rd year. i heard this from multiple groups of students when i went down for a weekend. pretty reliable.

Anyone do this PREP course, or have any advice on it? I never heard of it, but recently became aware of it. Anyone know much about it? Anyone recommend it?

Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptance!

I'm a soon to be second year med student at UTMB and I am interested in in subletting my apartment for the month of May (and perhaps more). If you are interested, contact me for details.

Best of luck!

Hello all, I'm a 2014er interested in a 1/1 apartment. Location, noise level, and parking are important to me. If anyone either has an apartment up for lease, or, knows of anyone who is leaving UTMB this year and vacating their apartment, please let me know. I appreciate any input on good, cheap places for incoming med students to live as well.

Thank you

Hello all, I'm a 2014er interested in a 1/1 apartment. Location, noise level, and parking are important to me. If anyone either has an apartment up for lease, or, knows of anyone who is leaving UTMB this year and vacating their apartment, please let me know. I appreciate any input on good, cheap places for incoming med students to live as well.

Thank you

Any apartment suggestions from current students would be greatly appreciated. Have similar preferences as the post above...but any recommendations would be great. Just looking for a place that any of you actually liked living in...and didn't have issues with.

Thanks in advance

I leased an apartment already at the Carelton Courtyard Apartments by UTMB and I had asked a current 1st year living there and he said that it was pretty quiet and that other med students live there as well. He liked that any problems with maintenance usually get fixed that same day. So I went and looked and they have a gated parking lot and the rooms seemed nice. I leased a 1/1 for 610/month. There is a waitlist if you want to move in August but since I'm doing PREP I am moving in May so I didn't have to wait.

I leased an apartment already at the Carelton Courtyard Apartments by UTMB and I had asked a current 1st year living there and he said that it was pretty quiet and that other med students live there as well. He liked that any problems with maintenance usually get fixed that same day. So I went and looked and they have a gated parking lot and the rooms seemed nice. I leased a 1/1 for 610/month. There is a waitlist if you want to move in August but since I'm doing PREP I am moving in May so I didn't have to wait.

Oh yeah? I was thinking of carelton courtyard too, it looks pretty nice. I'm on the waiting list now, they're supposed to give me a call in a few weeks.

I would at least take a look at the UTMB apartments. I was hesitant to rent there but they are a pretty good deal depending on your situation. I have a 3 bedroom and pay $815 a month (all bills paid...its great to put the AC on 65 and not worry about next months electric bill). They don't look like much from the outside but aren't bad on the inside. The cabinets, bedroom doors and moldings are a little old but our place had new carpet and fairly new appliances and you get a covered parking space. Our only complaint has been the noise due to traffic on Ferry Road (it only gets bad occassionally). When we moved in there wasn't any apartments on the first floor due to the hurricane but they might have some of those redone by now.

Along with the others who have posted in this thread, I am also available for questions regarding the various fraternities at UTMB.

I will (to the best of my abilities) try to take up some of the slack left by UTMBMD2012 who is now deep into Step 1 studying.

Last edited:
I have a really odd question.

Does anyone know where the emergency rotation is during 3rd/4th year? Is it in Galveston only or do you rotate in another city?

So, last night it dawned on me that it's May.

For the last 2 years May has = time to apply to medical school.

I'm so glad/grateful to not have to apply again:D PREP, here I come in a week and a half!!

...So does anyone know how the grades work at UTMB? I know its honors, high pass, pass, fail or something along those lines, but what I'm curious about is who gets what.

Like, say the cut off for honors was 95% on an exam. And, by some gift from the statistical Gods, everyone got 95+ on the exam. Does everyone honor or is it only the top 5% of the 95 or better grades (ie- only ppl getting 100's honor)?

Also, does street side parking work? Or will I be late to class everyday trying to find a spot lol assuming I get there, 7:30am for an 8am class (i'm commuting from tx city).

Thanks to anyone who knows/answers! :D

ev.owa
Theta Kappa Psi has been on the island, providing UTMB medical students with shelter and camaraderie for over 100 years. It has withstood hurricanes, countless parties and the abuse that is inherent in housing 20 male medical students. It goes without saying that there are a seemingly infinite amount of perks that come with living within the mansions walls. To name a few:
1. A five minute walk to class, which is a hot commodity considering you have to give up an organ to park on campus…
2. Rent costs a mere 400.00 dollars/month. This includes bills, high speed internet, 9 meals/week, cable and your very own bathroom (no more sharing a bathroom with a Hank the Hairy Roommate)
3. Access to a state of the art theatre room, complete with stadium couch seating, a 72” DLP TV, and cutting edge sound. Mind blowing.
4. A wealth of knowledge imparted to you via upperclassmen ranging from which books to buy to which bars to visit.
TKY prides itself in academic and social success, made evident by exceptionally high USMLE Step I scores (2009 average of 250) and legendary post test parties.
TKY is the prime example of “work hard, play hard”. Camaraderie, intellect and infinite amounts of awesomeness await you. To inquire about space available in the mansion, contact Jeremy Halbe at [email protected] or check out the website at http://www.thetakappapsi.com/. I advise you to do so as soon as possible; space tends to disappear quickly.
Out of house members are also welcome. Meal plans are available for a monthly fee.

This is how grading is determined at UTMB.

HONORS is almost always those who fall in the top 15% of the class when all components of a course are taken into consideration. (A minimum grade is sometimes required in PBL to honor).

HIGH PASS is typically placed at the top 50% of the class, although some variation in this exists. (In Neuro, the cutoff for HP was an 85 in the class)

PASS is pretty self explanatory.

I wont bother you with the designations for failing.

Hello class of 2014. If you are still looking for a place to live consider Phi Chi Medical Fraternity. It is cheap to live here and really close to campus. Here are some of the reasons you should consider us.

.1. Your own room with your own bathroom! (14x 18 sq ft).

.2. Rent for active pledge members is only $375 a month! .

.3. All bills included: electricity, water & trash... AND cable TV & internet in your room!.

.4. 9 meals/week cooked by our private chef.

.5. Location - 5 minute walk to class, walking distance to Arlan’s Grocery Store, Seawall & East Beach, Moody National Bank, Chili’s, Fieldhouse/track/tennis courts, Walgreen’s.

.6. Free washers and dryers on the premises, as well as big-screen TV, pool, sun deck, pool table and brand-new home theater with projection screen!.

.7. Volunteer opportunities to serve the Galveston community .

.8. Parking is $10 for all four years!.

.9. Privacy! Every room opens to the outside so each room is like a studio apartment. Every room is a little different, and you can fix yours up any way you like!.

.10. Advice from Upperclassmen on how to study, tips on OSCE’s and boards, and even shelf exams (books and notes too!).

.Phi Chi is co-ed - Men and Women welcome!.
.Pets Too!.
.Contact House Manager Oscar Lazcano ([email protected]).​
.Visit UTMB’s oldest and largest frat online: www.phichizeta.org.​

Hey you know what would really help? If some of the current or past students could post some of the internet service providers they use, or cable providers, electricity, etc. Starting to get everything in order and trying to find who is decent, has good prices, reliable, etc.

hey guys i have a quick question: i got in off the waitlist at UTH this morning, and i ranked it higher than UTMB in the match. since it is off the waitlist, do i keep my spot at UTMB? because i really think at this point im 100 percent on going to UTMB...

hey guys i have a quick question: i got in off the waitlist at UTH this morning, and i ranked it higher than UTMB in the match. since it is off the waitlist, do i keep my spot at UTMB? because i really think at this point im 100 percent on going to UTMB...
You can go to which ever school you want at this point. Congrats on both acceptances!

thanks guys. im leaning heavily UTMB, but i just gotta consider the TMC one more time...

Hi! Congrats on starting med school soon - I am graduating and trying to sell my books at a heavily discounted price. Please see the attached file for the books I am selling (I'd say this list has at least 80-85% of the books you will need for the 4 years for school and review for Step 1 / Step 2). I'm from Houston and can drop them off if you want to have them earlier or can give them to you when you start in August. PM or email me if you're interested.

Attachments

• Medical School Textbooks for Sale.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 240
I have a really odd question.

Does anyone know where the emergency rotation is during 3rd/4th year? Is it in Galveston only or do you rotate in another city?

You can do your ER rotation in Galveston or another city. Some students spend their 3rd or 4th year in Austin or Houston and will do it there. I believe you can also set up rotations wherever you want as long as it is approved by the school. If you're very interested in EM, you can also set up away rotations in any hospital too.

Hey you know what would really help? If some of the current or past students could post some of the internet service providers they use, or cable providers, electricity, etc. Starting to get everything in order and trying to find who is decent, has good prices, reliable, etc.

Depends on where you are going to live...if you are going to live in an apartment on the island check with them to see what your options are (even if you are living in a house your house may not be serviced by all providers). We live in the UTMB apartments and our choices were limited. We have comcast for cable and AT&T for internet (no problems with either provider so far). We have HD cable with Showtime and a DVR and it runs around $70 a month after they tack on all the taxes and what not. You could get basic cable for a lot less. Our internet is around $50 a month. They had other cheaper plans available too. We got a flyer the other day that had phone, cable and internet for $100 with comcast. Before we moved we had Verizon Fios and LOVED it but that wasn't an option where we live.

Also, does street side parking work? Or will I be late to class everyday trying to find a spot lol assuming I get there, 7:30am for an 8am class (i'm commuting from tx city).

I have never parked in the student parking but I usually got to school by 7:30 and saw quite a few parking spaces. If you run late one day you might have a hard time.
The first part of the year I parked in the shuttle lot and took the shuttle to class (drops you off right by Levin Hall) but I don't think it runs in the afternoons until around 3 so if you aren't staying at school to study you might have to walk to the shuttle lot (really not that far).

They also have garage roof parking for students for $140 a year so now I do that.

Depends on where you are going to live...if you are going to live in an apartment on the island check with them to see what your options are (even if you are living in a house your house may not be serviced by all providers). We live in the UTMB apartments and our choices were limited. We have comcast for cable and AT&T for internet (no problems with either provider so far). We have HD cable with Showtime and a DVR and it runs around $70 a month after they tack on all the taxes and what not. You could get basic cable for a lot less. Our internet is around $50 a month. They had other cheaper plans available too. We got a flyer the other day that had phone, cable and internet for $100 with comcast. Before we moved we had Verizon Fios and LOVED it but that wasn't an option where we live.

Thanks! That gives me something to start with.