*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fireorose said:
With our immunizations can we just send a copy of our shot records?? Do I have to make a special trip the doctor?

there was a packet we got sent that wanted us to fill out info, but i'm pretty sure just sending in the shot record would suffice...you may want to call up student health beforehand and check with them

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, I just realized that the 1st year UTMB students finished the school year a week and a half ago. Damn! That's early!

1st years that happen to be looking at this forum - how was it? Incredibly hard? Incredibly easy?

So to any first years: should I keep my undergrad textbooks Biochem, physiology, etc? Or will they probably not help me? I could really use the cash... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
kaleidoscope83 said:
Dude, I just realized that the 1st year UTMB students finished the school year a week and a half ago. Damn! That's early!

1st years that happen to be looking at this forum - how was it? Incredibly hard? Incredibly easy?

I just finished the first year and I thought it was not incredibly hard but not super easy either.... I would say it takes a lot of work, but not because it's any more difficult than any other classes you have probably taken, just because of the amount of material to cover in such a short amount of time. If you keep a disciplined study/time schedule, you should be fine. It's totally doable.

Most classes first year get out either at noon or 2 pm (depending on the class... also you have to stay until 4 or 5 PM one day a week for a weekly small group meeting). So after getting out early, if you want to have extra free time on nights and weekends.... study after class EVERY DAY for at least 3 to 4 hours. This makes it easier to learn the material too since you just heard the lecture that morning and the material is fresh in your head. You will be done before 7PM and have time at the end of the night to relax and get a full night's sleep. I had time at the end of every night and most weekends free to hang out with my boyfriend who isn't in medical school. I think it's also helpful if you study this way to take maybe a 4 or 5 hour block sometime during the weekend to review what you learned during the week and previous weeks. Then when reviewing for the test later, you have already seen the material at least a few times and can concentrate on the more difficult material.

I really was surprised at how much of a social life I was able to maintain so far being in school. I know there is the stigma that medical school is the end of your social life and you will never have time to do anything.... but I haven't found that to be very true. Yes, it is time consuming, yes there is alot of material, but YES it's entirely doable to get through it and hang out with friends too!!!! (Actually, I have gone to more parties in med school than I did in undergrad and still have plenty of time to study.)

UTMB is by far the most laid back medical school which is an awesome environment to be in when you are dealing with supposedly "high stress" training. I think you will find that UTMB and Galveston is the perfect place to be for the next few years. I am so happy I came here! :love:

Good luck! Can't wait to meet you guys! :luck:

MeganG said:
So to any first years: should I keep my undergrad textbooks Biochem, physiology, etc? Or will they probably not help me? I could really use the cash... :)

I would say if you actually used your books and understood them and found them to be helpful... KEEP THEM!!! So far we haven't covered too great of detail in biochem (mostly we covered glycolysis/gluconeogenesis/TCA cycle/etc) so maybe biochem you could sell if you really wanted to since there are many better and more condensed medical biochem review books out there (like Lippencott's) that you will use way more your first year...

I totally used my undergrad CELL BIOLOGY book though since the one on the UTMB booklist was the same book but the new version. I was already familiar with it, and it didn't cost me any more money. The book is ESSENTIAL CELL BIOLOGY (Alberts, et al.)

Its really your call... I personally like to keep all my books for reference, especially since I am familiar with them and I highlighted important parts, etc. Since you are crunched for time, sometimes it is easier to review material you learned before with a certain book rather than read the same info out of a new book and have to decipher it all over again. It wasn't worth it to me to only get up to $20 back on a textbook that is a very good reference resource and originally cost me alot more. Suprisingly, you will find the textbooks for med school to be much less expensive than undergrad texts anyway. Usually a book isn't over $70 and many times less than that... and RARELY are they over $100 (maybe one or two books so far).... seems in undergrad they were consistently over $100 maybe more.

In my opinion, keep your books if they are medically related! (Cell Bio, Genetics, Physiology, Microbiology, maybe biochem)

So, i went apartment hunting today after work and i've gotten my selections down to 3. Casa Caribe, Carleton Courtyard and Villa Marina....but they've got pros and cons

Casa Caribe--pros: more space for cheaper rent than the other places---cons: no balcony/patio, the inside door thingy reminds me too much of a dorm, some noise (there were babies crying), stand offish staff

Villa Marina--pros: all bills paid, kind of secluded away, helpful staff---cons: heard its very noisy at times, price (even though all bills included, it may wind up more than if purchasing alone)

Carleton Courtyard--pros: decent size for a decent price, staff seemed very helpful, seems quiet---cons: parking, waiting list

Right now, i'm leading to Carleton Courtyard number 1, followed by Villa Marina, then Casa Caribe...anyone have any ideas or input?? I'm planing on making a decision and putting a deposit on one of them (waitlist) by next week....i just wanna know if anyone else has any more input. thanks

I went apartment hunting last summer and checked out Ebbtide, Carelton Courtyard, Casa Caribe, and Villa Marina. I liked the first three because of their location; they are all within blocks of UTMB. Villa Marina is a little farther away and more expensive than the other three. I was able to see rooms at all of them except Carelton Courtyard. My opinions are:

Ebbtide: pros - great location, quiet, small complex with reasonably big rooms, helpful staff. cons - too OLD for my taste.

Carelton Courtyard (what I saw from the outside): pros - great location, balconey, big windows, heard a lot of med students live here. cons - unhelpful staff (at least the woman I talked to wasn't very friendly), pricier than Ebbtide and Casa Caribe, and as a woman living by herself in Galveston, I didn't like the easily accessible sliding glass doors on the balconey right next to the front door. I wouldn't feel safe there living alone.

Casa Caribe: pros - big rooms, cheaper than the other three, indoor hallways (felt safer), free trash pick-up, heard a lot of med students live here. cons - kind of old.

Villa Marina: pros - decent sized rooms, helpful staff. cons: even though all bills included in rent, it's more expensive than the other 3.

So out of the 4, I chose Casa Caribe and put myself on a waiting list there. Overall, the rooms are big, it's really close to campus, has indoor hallways (with no easily accessible windows from the outside) so I'll feel safer living alone, and there are a lot of med students who already live there. After Casa Caribe, I would rank the list:

2. Carelton Courtyard
3. Ebbtide
4. Villa Marina

Man, it's 35 degrees here in Massachusetts, I'm so ready for the Texas climate.

Hey everybody I'm coming to UTMB next year as well!!!

Do any current UTMB'ers have any thoughts on Marina Point? I am looking at purchasing a condo there...

Also, whats the deal with living in the frats? The one I heard about was 325/mo for a room, bathroom, 9 meals a week and right by campus. Other frats had similar deals. Do any of you live in these frats or know anyone that does?

Thanks

B

PoetMD said:
Also, whats the deal with living in the frats? The one I heard about was 325/mo for a room, bathroom, 9 meals a week and right by campus. Other frats had similar deals. Do any of you live in these frats or know anyone that does?

Thanks

B

We had a senior resident do some labwork with us for 6 months and he talked up the frats everynow and then. He was in the AKK house (which i believe is on market and 3rd....i dont know for sure, they are all near the same place).

It sounds like a pretty good deal there and i've gone to eat dinner with him a number of times at the frat house. The meals are cooked by a chef that they bring in and is of the buffet style (usually consists of some sort of appetizer/salad with a meat and a side dish and drink...not too shabby). I wasn't able to see the rooms, but i'm hoping to sometime soon.

I'm most likely going to live at the Carelton courtyard for my first year and perhaps do either the frat thing or someplace else afterwards...i'm not sure.

BaylorGuy said:
We had a senior resident do some labwork with us for 6 months and he talked up the frats everynow and then. He was in the AKK house (which i believe is on market and 3rd....i dont know for sure, they are all near the same place).

It sounds like a pretty good deal there and i've gone to eat dinner with him a number of times at the frat house. The meals are cooked by a chef that they bring in and is of the buffet style (usually consists of some sort of appetizer/salad with a meat and a side dish and drink...not too shabby). I wasn't able to see the rooms, but i'm hoping to sometime soon.

I'm most likely going to live at the Carelton courtyard for my first year and perhaps do either the frat thing or someplace else afterwards...i'm not sure.

yeh AKK was the one I was interested in but can't get a hold of the pres. to find out more info on it. i think i read on their site you can get the meal plan but not live there

gotta decide between living dorm-room style their or getting a 2br condo in marina point (would need a roomie). Marina point is nice and an easy bike ride to UTMB... have you checked this place out BaylorGuy?

B

PoetMD said:
yeh AKK was the one I was interested in but can't get a hold of the pres. to find out more info on it. i think i read on their site you can get the meal plan but not live there

gotta decide between living dorm-room style their or getting a 2br condo in marina point (would need a roomie). Marina point is nice and an easy bike ride to UTMB... have you checked this place out BaylorGuy?

B

I bought a condo at Port aux Princes which is next to Marina Pointe. I also looked at marina pointe. The condos at marina pointe are nice. I think they were built in the late 80s, but the three I saw were very well maintained and looked fairly new. They are a little pricey for the area 150k-175k. I chose Port aux Princes because they were quite a bit cheaper, and I felt like i could spend a little more money on painting, getting a new dishwasher, etc. But they are very pretty condos. There are more condos downtown but they are crazy expensive. Its 1 mile from my condo to Levin hall, not a bad walk or bike ride. But I would suggest that if you want a condo, you shouldn't wait. The last I heard, there were no condos for sale in Marina Point or Port aux Princes. Maybe someone put theirs up for sale since then. I worked with Barney Rapp (realtor), and he was very helpful, and the condo I ended up buying hadn't even officially gotten on the market yet when I saw it. All the condos get snatched up pretty fast. Good luck finding a place!

I'm gonna be living at Marina Point next year. So far I have been pretty impressed with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've toured the AKK house and it seems like a great deal and a good place to live. I think its 385 for all bills paid and includes 4-5 dinners a week. I'm not sure if lunch is included. Because its university owned, its very well maintained and clean (more so than the other frats I saw). Each person gets their own room and shares a bathroom with one other person. Its at 301 post office, so its easy walking distance to both class and the gym. The president may take a little while to respond, but thats just because he's cramming for step 1.

Anybody know anything else about the frats? (especially current students?)

PoetMD said:

B

I havent checked out Marina Pointe, but now that you mention it i may try and make a pit stop over there and see their places. I'm not necessarily sold on the Carelton Courtyard right now, but it seems like the best offer i've come across so far. I'm planning on turning in a lease application somewhere by the end of this week (i really have no choice, since i'm gonna be traveling).

But once i check it out, i'll tell you what i think and how it compares.

BaylorGuy said:
I havent checked out Marina Pointe, but now that you mention it i may try and make a pit stop over there and see their places. I'm not necessarily sold on the Carelton Courtyard right now, but it seems like the best offer i've come across so far. I'm planning on turning in a lease application somewhere by the end of this week (i really have no choice, since i'm gonna be traveling).

But once i check it out, i'll tell you what i think and how it compares.

yeh let me know, thanks

Well, I wasn't able to go inside because i couldn't necessarily find the leasing office. however, from the outside it looks like a really good place in a decent part of town. suprisingly, it looks nothing like regular galveston and kind of reminds me of a little suburb. I dont know...maybe i'm reading too much into (I'll add that the weather was awesome outside so i had my shades on and windows down listening to music).

Are any of you'll living a little further from UTMB?

kaleidoscope83 said:

I'm a graduating 4th year...so maybe my opinions are a bit outdated... :D

First year is a great year to get adjusted to medical school life. If you've had biochem, physiology, histology, neuro, genetics, micro, and anatomy...1st year will be a breeze for you! Luckily, I had taken a lot of these courses at A&M and felt extremely well prepared for my first year. In fact, it was probably slightly easier than college because I had seen all these subjects at least once before. Also, the schedule for 1st year and 2nd year classes is phenomenal! You really do get a lot of time for independent study and relaxation.

1styr.jpg

2ndyr.jpg

2nd year consists of your organ-based systems which occupy the afternoons (so you have plenty of time in the mornings to study... or if you are a night owl like me, you stay up studying and sleep in!). These courses tend to be high volume but more interesting (at least in my opinion). However, towards the end of your 2nd year, you are also studying Step 1 at the same time. This was probably the most stressful part of med school, but everyone goes through it...so don't fret. There are many wonderful sources offered by UTMB to help with studying/planning for this exam.

Hope this helps!
Match Day 2006

BaylorGuy said:
So, i went apartment hunting today after work and i've gotten my selections down to 3. Casa Caribe, Carleton Courtyard and Villa Marina....but they've got pros and cons

Casa Caribe--pros: more space for cheaper rent than the other places---cons: no balcony/patio, the inside door thingy reminds me too much of a dorm, some noise (there were babies crying), stand offish staff

Villa Marina--pros: all bills paid, kind of secluded away, helpful staff---cons: heard its very noisy at times, price (even though all bills included, it may wind up more than if purchasing alone)

Carleton Courtyard--pros: decent size for a decent price, staff seemed very helpful, seems quiet---cons: parking, waiting list

Right now, i'm leading to Carleton Courtyard number 1, followed by Villa Marina, then Casa Caribe...anyone have any ideas or input?? I'm planing on making a decision and putting a deposit on one of them (waitlist) by next week....i just wanna know if anyone else has any more input. thanks

I'd say that's a pretty fair ranking. I lived in Carelton Courtyard for my first 2 years. The rent was relatively cheap...it was close to school... not sure I would walk around that area at night (coming from a lady's perspective)...maintenance staff was great... overall i was pleased for the price.

A couple of my good friends lived in Casa Caribe for a couple of years and they enjoyed their living conditions as well. Never really heard any complaints about rent or other problems.

Finished off the 4th year living in Villa Marina right across from the track. My rent is about $646/mo for 1b/1b. But all my utilities are paid! For me, that was a great deal because I always leave my computer and lights on. The front office is very friendly and helpful. My apt is nice and spacious. I don't have any complaints about this property.

What you might also want to consider is driving around 10th-16th St. at Church St., Market St., or Post Office... these Victorian homes often rent out attached apts to students at reasonable rates. One of my friends rents a 2b/2b for $700/mo and his house has wood floors, ceiling fans, crown molding, and vaulted ceilings. Many times you can catch a great deal by letting them know you are a med student...b/c supposedly med student = less noisy and more responsible (less property damage).

Best of luck!!

DentalGal said:
I'm moving around that time too so that I can get settled in. I've already picked out an old set of clothes for Gross Anatomy lab. :) I'm going to start smelling like a med student. I guess everyone will smell that way so it won't matter! :p
Hi there! Don't worry about smelling from the anatomy lab... all the first years will smell the same... and all the 2nd - 4th years will know when the new guys have started. You can get scrubs from the hospital (if they still do that...). Y'all will love Dr. Miller and Dr. Collins (anatomy profs). Best of luck! :luck:

DentalGal said:
Does anyone know how close to campus the UTMB dorms and apartments are? Is it a short walk to class?
Extremely short walk...5 min brisk walk... 10 min at a relaxed pace. :p

Hi, My name is Sheel Pathak and I'm currently a second year at UTMB. For our third year, they let some of us go to Austin to do rotations, and I'm doing that. That leaves my roommates in a little bind.

We have this really nice house thats about a 5 minute walk from Levin Hall (one of the main buildings you'll have your lectures in). It is really big, has a large backyard, large front yard, a white picket fence, a washer/dryer, 2 bathrooms, and 4 bedrooms (plus some extra rooms to use as studies etc). So far for next year, 2 people are living there, one is a girl and will be a 3rd year, and the other is a guy and will be a 2nd year. They are both really good folks and are the easiest people in the world to live with/get along with. Also, the landlord is wonderful and helpful.

If 3 people live in the house total, the rent will be about $550/month plus electric/gas/cable.

If 4 people live in the house, it'd come out to about $412.

If anyone is coming down for prematriculation or planning to move to Galveston a bit early (or knows anyone who is), pass this message around. Please send me a PM, an email at [email protected] or an AOL Instant Message at TheSaddestRobot if you need more details.

Hello,

I was wondering, now that I have the time to look for apartments down there, if you can call the apartment places and put your name on the waiting lists or do you have to go in person to do this? I will come down there soon, but I've heard that it is good to get your name on those lists early.

I was wondering if any of you had looked into the military health professions scholarship program for paying for school? it looks pretty good, but I don't know if I want to be tied down like that. Thoughts from anyone who is doing this would be helpful. Thanks!

Does anyone have opinions on work study during the first year? I think it would be a good opportunity if i get a job with time to look over notes or whatnot. Anyone else considering work study also? Any current students with opinions on the work study program? I'm just worried about overwhelming myself first year.

fireorose said:
Does anyone have opinions on work study during the first year? I think it would be a good opportunity if i get a job with time to look over notes or whatnot. Anyone else considering work study also? Any current students with opinions on the work study program? I'm just worried about overwhelming myself first year.

I am considering doing work study...mostly because I have always had a job and I think it would be weird for me not to have one! :p Anywho, I had a work study job at the library my first year in college and I got a LOT of studying done. I don't know if workstudy jobs are the same in medschool as they are in college though...maybe we'd be required to do more actual "work." I hear we're supposed to get more info on work study in July? I don't remember where I read that though, probably in the financial aid email.

BaylorKDLady said:
I am considering doing work study...mostly because I have always had a job and I think it would be weird for me not to have one! :p Anywho, I had a work study job at the library my first year in college and I got a LOT of studying done. I don't know if workstudy jobs are the same in medschool as they are in college though...maybe we'd be required to do more actual "work." I hear we're supposed to get more info on work study in July? I don't remember where I read that though, probably in the financial aid email.

Yeah, I called enrollment services and they said we're supposed to get more info in July and that we can always change our finaid awards if we opt not to do work study :) There's a whole list of work study opps online on the UTMB website I think under finaid? There are like 60 or so pages. So, that might give you a better idea as to whether any of those would work you.

tweetledee said:
Yeah, I called enrollment services and they said we're supposed to get more info in July and that we can always change our finaid awards if we opt not to do work study :) There's a whole list of work study opps online on the UTMB website I think under finaid? There are like 60 or so pages. So, that might give you a better idea as to whether any of those would work you.

Here's the link to the FWS jobs:

http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/pdf/webjobs.pdf

fireorose said:
thanks for the info. On a side note...anyone read the Da Vinci Code and watch the movie and is very disappointed? :thumbdown:

Well, i read the book and i felt very disappointed anyway....so i really had no impetus to go see the movie.

BaylorGuy said:
Well, i read the book and i felt very disappointed anyway....so i really had no impetus to go see the movie.

I just saw the movie tonight... I loved the book for the most part, but I thought the end was really lame. And the ending of the movie was even lamer, if that is possible. Eesh. Someone tell Ron Howard I am very disappointed. :p

Is there a deadline for us to accept our UTMB financial aid letter?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Is there a deadline for us to accept our UTMB financial aid letter?

Yes, four weeks after the offer is extended.

I received an e-mail notification on May 1st, so the deadline should be May 29th.

I wouldn't wait until the 29th though, so I recommend you accept your offer and complete the entrance interview/promissory note ASAP.

milawater03 said:
Yes, four weeks after the offer is extended.

I received an e-mail notification on May 1st, so the deadline should be May 29th.

I wouldn't wait until the 29th though, so I recommend you accept your offer and complete the entrance interview/promissory note ASAP.

What if they update your letter and add something new to it? Is it 4 weeks after that?

kaleidoscope83 said:
What if they update your letter and add something new to it? Is it 4 weeks after that?

I don't know about that.

You'll probably have to call enrollment services to have your question answered, but I think your time will be better spent taking the necessary steps to accept your financial aid offer.

You still have a few days until the original deadline and it only takes about an hour to complete everything.

P.S.
Reminder: transcripts reflecting spring 2006 grades are due on May 31st.

milawater03 said:
I don't know about that.

You'll probably have to call enrollment services to have your question answered, but I think your time will be better spent taking the necessary steps to accept your financial aid offer.

You still have a few days until the original deadline and it only takes about an hour to complete everything.

P.S.
Reminder: transcripts reflecting spring 2006 grades are due on May 31st.

Thanks for replying to my questions. I've been having a few problems with the financial aid office so they've been changing my award letter. I'm not sure if they're done adding/subtracting stuff so I was going to wait a while, but I'll make sure to accept it before the 4-week deadline.

Are we supposed to complete the entrance interview prior to the 4-week deadline as well?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Thanks for replying to my questions. I've been having a few problems with the financial aid office so they've been changing my award letter. I'm not sure if they're done adding/subtracting stuff so I was going to wait a while, but I'll make sure to accept it before the 4-week deadline.

You're welcome. I hope that you'll be able to get everything sorted out.

tweetledee said:
Are we supposed to complete the entrance interview prior to the 4-week deadline as well?

Yup.

Hey how many of you guys are living on the west side of the island? The quality of the apartments looks so much nicer to me. I looked at Club of the Isle and Seasons. The are both really nice, but the Club is much better.

tweetledee said:

I just called UTMB. You need to complete both the entrance interview and the promissory note before the 4-week deadline.

kaleidoscope83 said:
I just called UTMB. You need to complete both the entrance interview and the promissory note before the 4-week deadline.

Really? Hmm. that's odd, they told me we needed to complete it before the first disbursement date. go figure :rolleyes: I think the 4 week deadline is up for me :scared: but I'm going to do it asap :oops:

tweetledee said:
Really? Hmm. that's odd, they told me we needed to complete it before the first disbursement date. go figure :rolleyes: I think the 4 week deadline is up for me :scared: but I'm going to do it asap :oops:

I got the same message. I was told that the award letter has a 4 week deadling (which has also passed for me i believe :scared:), but the interview needs to complete a week or 2 before the first disbursement date....oh well, i'm going to go ahead and finnish both of them today.

don't ask why i'm posting at 4 in the morning.

BaylorGuy said:
I got the same message. I was told that the award letter has a 4 week deadling (which has also passed for me i believe :scared:), but the interview needs to complete a week or 2 before the first disbursement date....oh well, i'm going to go ahead and finnish both of them today.

don't ask why i'm posting at 4 in the morning.

I finished the whole thing last night around midnight, but then when I hit submit, there was some sort of error so now I've gotta do it all over again b/c your info doesn't get saved. :rolleyes: It's not all that bad, but I've gotta type in all my info again :oops: Anyone else get an error? Does the session timeout after a bit?

If you can afford it, stay on the west side. East side is soo Getto. I can't wait to move back to west side.
Swttxcandy said:
Hey how many of you guys are living on the west side of the island? The quality of the apartments looks so much nicer to me. I looked at Club of the Isle and Seasons. The are both really nice, but the Club is much better.

That's pretty much all of Galveston. Not many places that aren't a bit run down. This is an old town you know. Anyway, I live down the street from Cedar Lawn, and one of my friends lives there and it's pretty nice/safe. Doesn't mean I'm gonna go for a midnight walk or anything, but it's cool.
cbw0006 said:
The apartment complex seems nice and is gated so we felt like it will be safe. The neighborhood, on the other hand, seemed like it was a bit run down. I don't think we'll be walking the streets at night if you know what I mean. We searched a bunch of apartments and the park was by far our favorite.

tweetledee said:
I finished the whole thing last night around midnight, but then when I hit submit, there was some sort of error so now I've gotta do it all over again b/c your info doesn't get saved. :rolleyes: It's not all that bad, but I've gotta type in all my info again :oops: Anyone else get an error? Does the session timeout after a bit?

That happened to me. Instead of doing it all again, I call the enrollment services office. My information did get submitted and they received it. Try calling them to see if they got it before you do it again. It might mess up their system if you do it twice and they receive your information on different dates.

kaleidoscope83 said:
That happened to me. Instead of doing it all again, I call the enrollment services office. My information did get submitted and they received it. Try calling them to see if they got it before you do it again. It might mess up their system if you do it twice and they receive your information on different dates.

Yeah, I called enrollment services today and they asked me to call back again tomorrow to confirm that they received (it takes 48 hrs for them to process it). So I may not actually have to redo it.

Does any body know if the Quest orientation thing is just us med school people or if its for all of the schools?

mphillips said:
Does any body know if the Quest orientation thing is just us med school people or if its for all of the schools?

I'm pretty sure QUEST is for all the schools, not just the med school. When I called Student Affairs about it today and inquired about the "Quest Orientation" the person made sure I knew that QUEST and Orientation were two totally different things ;) :p