*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BaylorKDLady said:
Yup! I still go there actually, class of 2006 :)

Sic Em

I was Class of 2005! How neat. Well, have fun with graduation in May! :)

Members don't see this ad.

DentalGal said:
I was Class of 2005! How neat. Well, have fun with graduation in May! :)

I beat you all....Class of 2004. Well, december of 2004.

I should have graduated in '05....but, i like even numbers :D :D

Well, the prematric program is coming up in a month and a half - anyone going? Anyone excited like me? I can't wait to jump in. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
DentalGal said:
Well, the prematric program is coming up in a month and a half - anyone going? Anyone excited like me? I can't wait to jump in. :D
I'm excited and I'll be there. I'm moving may 26 and cant wait. When are you moving?

fireorose said:
I'm excited and I'll be there. I'm moving may 26 and cant wait. When are you moving?

I'm moving around that time too so that I can get settled in. I've already picked out an old set of clothes for Gross Anatomy lab. :) I'm going to start smelling like a med student. I guess everyone will smell that way so it won't matter! :p

Not sure when i will be moving...most likely in August. However, i need to find an apartment now because i'm gonna be out of country for June and July...which is why i need to fix everything else out before i get outta dodge.

Where did you guys find apartments at, or are you just sub-leasing???

BaylorGuy said:
Not sure when i will be moving...most likely in August. However, i need to find an apartment now because i'm gonna be out of country for June and July...which is why i need to fix everything else out before i get outta dodge.

Where did you guys find apartments at, or are you just sub-leasing???
I'm living in the clear lake area right by nasa.

There's a big listing of apartments on findmeapad.com.

cbw0006 said:
There's a big listing of apartments on findmeapad.com.

Thanks...i'll check this out once i got some free time

fireorose said:
I'm living in the clear lake area right by nasa.

Well, thats where i live right now and i can't handle the commute everyday, its a pain....but maybe thats just me.

So I'm deciding right now whether I should bring my car with me to UTMB, and I'm curious if anyone knows whether it's really necessary to bring a car. Also, are the mechanics alright in Galveston(I've heard bad things before)?

Just as a heads up, many of the apartments around campus are starting to fill up. If you are thinking about apartment shopping around UTMB, you should start looking quickly. Otherwise you will have to look for places further down the island.

I put myself on the waiting list for Casa Caribe back in January. I called the other week to confirm that I'd signed up for a small 1/1 when....they told me they lost the waiting list!! So they lost all the names for people who signed up. I'm not sure when they lost it, but if you've put yourself on the waiting list for Casa Caribe, call them! Make sure your name is on it.

BaylorGuy said:
Just called the financial aid office...they said that they are packaging up the financial aid award letters and sending them off either the end of this week or beginning of next week.

If you've already got your galveston email setup, they said that they would send the award letter via email probably next week.

Any word on financial aid letters? I haven't received my letter yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
BobbyGoGetter said:
So I'm deciding right now whether I should bring my car with me to UTMB, and I'm curious if anyone knows whether it's really necessary to bring a car. Also, are the mechanics alright in Galveston(I've heard bad things before)?

When I visited Galveston, I got the impression it's small enough so commuting within the city by car isn't necessary. If you get an apartment close to the school and don't mind riding a bicycle to HEB or other stores in the area, you should be fine.

I'm not sure about the bus system in Galveston though...

kaleidoscope83 said:
I put myself on the waiting list for Casa Caribe back in January. I called the other week to confirm that I'd signed up for a small 1/1 when....they told me they lost the waiting list!! So they lost all the names for people who signed up. I'm not sure when they lost it, but if you've put yourself on the waiting list for Casa Caribe, call them! Make sure your name is on it.

My roommate received a call from Casa Caribe yesterday saying that we are getting a 2 bedroom-2 bath apartment (we're moving in in August). We were put on the waiting list in early March.

Is it bad that i have yet to look for apartments??? I've got some ideas, but i haven't necessarily gone to signing anything yet....would this be a bad thing? I'll find something

maverick06 said:
I could view my award letter online.
https://sisweb.utmb.edu/sp/utmb/student
I haven't gotten any letter either.

I couldn't view my online....damn, oh well

BaylorGuy said:
Is it bad that i have yet to look for apartments??? I've got some ideas, but i haven't necessarily gone to signing anything yet....would this be a bad thing? I'll find something

I couldn't view my online....damn, oh well

You don't have to sign anything to get on apartment waiting lists. There's no obligation to follow through with those so you might want to at least put your name down for some places. I suggest Casa Caribe and Carelton Courtyard. They're both really close to the school (I think only a few blocks away) and have a lot of medical students living in them.

I tried to view my award letter online and got this: "No data found. If you have any questions contact Enrollment Services Advisor at 409.772.4955"

I called the number. Apparently, they have about 600-700 students that applied for financial aid. They started putting up the award letters last Tuesday and are going in alphabetical order. The guy said he was up to letter N yesterday.

Hi

How do I set up my UTMB email?? I wrote them to ask and they said you can only do it at orientation, but I keep reading on there that people have already done it...how?? detailed instructions for the non-technically inclined would be suuuuper

me no understandy

thank you!!!

annamoo said:
Hi

How do I set up my UTMB email?? I wrote them to ask and they said you can only do it at orientation, but I keep reading on there that people have already done it...how?? detailed instructions for the non-technically inclined would be suuuuper

me no understandy

thank you!!!

Part of the reason as to why mine is already set up is because i currently work at UTMB, so i had to have it setup way beforehand.

I believe if you call up the admissions office they would be able to give you information on how to do it (it would be easier to call them than to write them). Its not that hard...or shouldn't be

Hey kids i'm new on here, just found it. So can anyone tell me anything about anywhere that might have a yard? i have a medium sized dog and would love to find a place with a little room for him to run... on that note is anyone looking for a roomate (yard or not)? oh and the dog is well trained and not a chewer.

Anyone know where they care living yet? I've heard about Chataeu Lafitte has anyone visited there yet? :confused:

I got a chance to go on the west side of the island, I got the feeling that they were nice but nothing spectactular. The west side seems too busy with tourists and cars. I think living closer to the campus is the best bet for money and ease.

Also, I was under the impression that we wouldn't get anything in the mail for financial aid packets. I think you are suppossed to acceppt/reject your letter online. I am not absolutely sure though!

Only a few more months! Can't wait to meet everyone.

Swttxcandy said:
Anyone know where they care living yet? I've heard about Chataeu Lafitte has anyone visited there yet? :confused:

I got a chance to go on the west side of the island, I got the feeling that they were nice but nothing spectactular. The west side seems too busy with tourists and cars. I think living closer to the campus is the best bet for money and ease.

Also, I was under the impression that we wouldn't get anything in the mail for financial aid packets. I think you are suppossed to acceppt/reject your letter online. I am not absolutely sure though!

Only a few more months! Can't wait to meet everyone.

I'm looking at the Carelton Courtyard, but they have a waiting list, so I'm not sure whether they'll have a place for me. Is the Chataeu Lafitte close to campus? I'm trying to look for places within walking distance of the campus(although, I still plan to have a car).

I called Enrollment Services, and the lady I spoke to said we're supposed to get an official letter about finaid and we have to accept/decline that. Whether we're supposed to get it via email or snail mail, I don't know.
Are they still considering ppl for scholarships, or would they have indicated that on our finaid award letter already?

On a side note, I think it'd be great to plan a get together right before QUEST for all the UTMB class of 2010 SDN'ers :)

tweetledee said:
I think it'd be great to plan a get together right before QUEST for all the UTMB class of 2010 SDN'ers :)
I'm down.

TX515 said:
I'm down.

yeah that sounds fun, at least then we'd know a few people... :)

MeganG said:
yeah that sounds fun, at least then we'd know a few people... :)

yeah, that's what I was thinking :p I guess we can try planning something at the end of July for mid-Aug or so. Long ways away, but good to keep in mind :) I'm definitely looking forward to meeting my future classmates!

Is anyone moving down this summer? I'm moving in two weeks.

TX515 said:
Is anyone moving down this summer? I'm moving in two weeks.

I'm still looking for a place :oops: TX, where are you going to be living?

Anyone know if we're supposed to go ahead and sign up for parking now?

Hey! I am still looking for a place too! Don't feel bad. BTW I think we are suppossed to go ahead and sign up for parking. I did mine a few weeks ago.

Anyone looking for a roommate? It seems like it is much easier to get 2 or 3 bedroom.

I'm moving down there mid June. My wife and I liked the parks at cedar lawn. They have some pretty big 2 story,2 bedroom for pretty cheap. its about 4-5 miles from campus and 1 mile from seawall blvd. We went down and got on a waiting list in march and they got an apt for us a few weeks later. they have a website i think its www.theparksatcedarlawn.com. good luck! :luck:

Did you like the neighborhood that The park at Cedar Lawn was in? Did it seem safe?

Swttxcandy said:
Did you like the neighborhood that The park at Cedar Lawn was in? Did it seem safe?

The apartment complex seems nice and is gated so we felt like it will be safe. The neighborhood, on the other hand, seemed like it was a bit run down. I don't think we'll be walking the streets at night if you know what I mean. We searched a bunch of apartments and the park was by far our favorite.

Gotcha, I guess in all fairness there are not too many places in Galveston where you can walk around at night. Lol. Well good luck with your move in.

By the way, I called the Financial Aid office today about my packet because a few things were messed up on it. Words to the wise: Check the amount of aid, type of aid, and why you are receiving it! Make sure you are getting the best package.

Swttxcandy said:
Gotcha, I guess in all fairness there are not too many places in Galveston where you can walk around at night. Lol. Well good luck with your move in.

By the way, I called the Financial Aid office today about my packet because a few things were messed up on it. Words to the wise: Check the amount of aid, type of aid, and why you are receiving it! Make sure you are getting the best package.

Have you gotten a package in the mail yet??? I've yet to receive anything from them....grrrr

Also, i'm still looking for a place to live and i've settled it down between a couple of places that are on the west end and a couple of places that are a block or two by the school (near carelton). I'd like to live close to the school to were i wouldn't have to worry about traffic, etc. and i would be close to the field house. On the other hand, if i lived on the west end, i'd be much more motivated not to drive so much to and fro school...thus keeping me in the library until i feel beat enough to go back home.

I don't know...i'm talking out loud too much...i'll most probably end up somewhere near the field house.

Does anyone know anything about the Garage 4 rooftop parking? Where is Garage 4 on campus anyway? Anyone know?

If you haven't heard about your financial aid package, I wanted to give you a heads up that you should call enrollment services and make sure they even have you on file. I deferred my admission to UTMB for one year so I got a little paranoid that they would forget about me. To make sure they'd correctly process my FAFSA and award me a package, I called in January, March, and April. Sounds anal I know. You'd think the enrollment services wouldn't forget about me.

But they did. :(

I called the other week when it started feeling fishy that I wasn't being awarded a package yet. Turns out since I had deferred for one year, they got confused and put my file away. I had to call them for the 4th time and kindly remind them to do the package. They finally did it the other day.

Ok, so maybe this post was more venting than helpful adivce, but I wanted to tell you guys if you haven't heard about your financial aid, call enrollment services! They may have forgotten you, too!

Swttxcandy said:

What do you mean by "make sure you are getting the best package?" Can you talk them into giving you grants?! All I got were some lousy loans.

kaleidoscope83 said:
What do you mean by "make sure you are getting the best package?" Can you talk them into giving you grants?! All I got were some lousy loans.

Ditto....i'm not sure if i want to accept the amount of unsubsidized loan that they gave me.

Also, i have a question on 2 of the things in my award if anyone has them (i haven't called financial aid, but plan to on monday)...i got some award called Miller and another one called TPEG....anybody have any idea on what these are??

Well, one they forgot to add my scholarship in my package so I got more loans. I also received FWS that I wasn't suppossed to and asked if they were able to tract down a grant for me so that it could be taken off. So I was able to bargain with them a little.

If you call ask to speak with the advisor that actually put your package together. It helps because they can tell you exactly why you received certain aid. Sometimes it's just a mistake like in my case.

Good luck!

BaylorGuy said:
Ditto....i'm not sure if i want to accept the amount of unsubsidized loan that they gave me.

Also, i have a question on 2 of the things in my award if anyone has them (i haven't called financial aid, but plan to on monday)...i got some award called Miller and another one called TPEG....anybody have any idea on what these are??

All I got was loans too...boo. Oh wells. Anyhow, those unsubsidized loans are still probably better than anything else you're gonna find - I have a bunch from undergrad - they have the lowest interest rates. Unless you can find an outside scholarship, I'm too lazy for all that. I still can't get over the fact that I am doubling all debt in just one year. Eesh...

I have no idea what those other things are but I bet you could find the info at the enrollement services website, its been pretty helpful to me.

PS - Does anyone else get the feeling that everything with UTMB is a little...disorganized?? I feel like everything I needed to know when I was at Baylor was handed to me on a platter. Oh well I guess it comes with being an "adult" :)

PPS - I am so not digging this final exam business...I'm already in Med School lemme graduate already!

BaylorKDLady said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that everything with UTMB is a little...disorganized?? I feel like everything I needed to know when I was at Baylor was handed to me on a platter. Oh well I guess it comes with being an "adult" :)

UTMB is definitely disorganized. But we can use that to our advantage. We won't have to be so accountable for everything and can blame enrollment services when we lose something.

Is anyone applying for the Jerome O. Ravel scholarship for primary care medicine? Are we really supposed to describe our interest in primary care medicine in 50 words or less? That's maybe 3 sentences. Maybe.

BaylorGuy said:

I'm still not sure whether I'll need all the aid/loans they gave me, but I called Enrollment services and the guy I spoke to said I can go ahead and accept and always revise my aid package later. He said lotsa students revise their finaid awards frequently. So, I think what I'm going to do is accept it before the 4 week deadline passes. :rolleyes:

Yeah, so i found out what TPEG and Miller are....TPEG=Texas public education grant and Miller is one of the need based scholarships through the university. Nothing super outstanding in the case of financial aid, but hey, everything that comes will definitely help...especially if i dont have to pay it back :)

Yeah, i may wind up accepting all of my subsidized loans and the grants/scholarships, but i dont know so much about the unsubsidized...with the ones i'm planning on accepting it should pay for all school related stuff while the unsubsidized is most probably going to go to cost of living....which means i'm going to have to scrap by.

This makes me mad, but i definitely have to take my freaking Hep B series over...my titer came back low and so i called up student wellness and they want me to take it all over again which is a friggin joke....don't they have some kind of booster or what not...AAARRRRGGGGG....it makes it worse because i'm gonna be gone for a couple of months overseas.

PPS - I am so not digging this final exam business...I'm already in Med School lemme graduate already![/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. My brain checked out about 2 weeks ago. :confused:

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and thought I'd say hello.

Hi there! I found this forum last fall, and I've found it to be very helpful. I think you will find it to be helpful too. :)

I've been trying to work out the financial aid stuff, does anyone know if the 11,000 is for one semester or the whole year?

mphillips said:
I've been trying to work out the financial aid stuff, does anyone know if the 11,000 is for one semester or the whole year?

I do believe its the yearly tuition.

This makes me mad, but i definitely have to take my freaking Hep B series over...my titer came back low and so i called up student wellness and they want me to take it all over again which is a friggin joke....don't they have some kind of booster or what not...AAARRRRGGGGG....it makes it worse because i'm gonna be gone for a couple of months overseas.[/QUOTE]

With our immunizations can we just send a copy of our shot records?? Do I have to make a special trip the doctor?