*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since you first posted this in February, I'm assuming you've squared away your housing for next year? I'm just getting started, and what I'd really like is a female roommate to split expenses. Is anyone on here looking for a roommate? Or can you suggest a place to stay?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Swttxcandy said:
Anyone know where they care living yet? I've heard about Chataeu Lafitte has anyone visited there yet? :confused:

I got a chance to go on the west side of the island, I got the feeling that they were nice but nothing spectactular. The west side seems too busy with tourists and cars. I think living closer to the campus is the best bet for money and ease.

Also, I was under the impression that we wouldn't get anything in the mail for financial aid packets. I think you are suppossed to acceppt/reject your letter online. I am not absolutely sure though!

Only a few more months! Can't wait to meet everyone.

I don't know if this is realiable or not, but when I tried to look at Chataeu Lafitte, I ended up at Carriage House, which is right next door and the buildings look the same. Though I wasn't overly impressed with the Carriage House, the manager there told me that the two complexes are about the same, though the Carriage House is currently remodeling each apartment as people move out while the Chataeu is much need of repair. Might want to keep looking, or that could have just been salesmen talk.

mphillips said:
Does any body know if the Quest orientation thing is just us med school people or if its for all of the schools?

Its for all of the students that are going to attend UTMB next year (Graduate school of biomed sciences, nursing, allied health, and medicine). Its definitely separate than orientation...whereas orientation has to be attended for us med students, Quest is an optional thingy....but i'm gonna be going anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year at UTMB considering a roommate to cut down on expenses. I am interesting in living with a first year because I already see the people in my class all day, every day (believe me, you and your classmates are together all the time!). So...I thought I would try to vary it up a bit. :) Plus, our schedules would be kind of opposite during the day, which would be great for making sure everyone has plenty of the oh-so-important "alone time." I was hoping to maybe look around with my potential roommate at some places. There are already some really nice houses that I have found that I am interested in. If this sounds like something you are interested in, drop me a line. Thanks!

If any first years have any questions you want to ask, I would be happy to help to the best of my ability!

I got a copy of the Galveston paper and called an apt finder (it might have feen Apartments Galveston.com) and told them exactly what I was looking for when I moved to G-town last year. I got a pretty nice place in the historic district (b/w the school and downtown) for a reasonable price. I am 6 blocks from school and 3 blocks from downtown--I would highly recommend living close to school--the houses are beautiful, the bicycling is nice. I can't tell you how rarely I buy gasoline since moving to Galveston. There are people that like living on the West end, but I honestly don't think they enjoy living in Galveston as much as I do.

Eskimohead said:
If any first years have any questions you want to ask, I would be happy to help to the best of my ability!

How did you find parking last year? I signed up for a $35/year hanging tag today but there doesn't seem to be a lot of spots.

mphillips said:
How did you find parking last year? I signed up for a $35/year hanging tag today but there doesn't seem to be a lot of spots.

Pretty much as long as you don't get to school RIGHT before class starts, you should be able to find a spot. There were very few days when I had to park any significant distance from lecture hall. However, I went to UT, and any parking spot that wasn't a shuttle ride or 15 minute walk from school was alright by me, so I was easy to please. I can't remember very many times that I was not within about 2 or 3 short blocks from lecture hall. If you live close enough, you can walk or ride your bike. I had lots of friends that did that.

jkrsummer said:
I got a copy of the Galveston paper and called an apt finder (it might have feen Apartments Galveston.com) and told them exactly what I was looking for when I moved to G-town last year. I got a pretty nice place in the historic district (b/w the school and downtown) for a reasonable price. I am 6 blocks from school and 3 blocks from downtown--I would highly recommend living close to school--the houses are beautiful, the bicycling is nice. I can't tell you how rarely I buy gasoline since moving to Galveston. There are people that like living on the West end, but I honestly don't think they enjoy living in Galveston as much as I do.

I would totally agree with this. I am living in a Strand loft that I got a really good deal on, and I LOVE it. I can jump in the car and be at school and parked in about 3 minutes (literally). I would walk or ride my bike, but the projects (no, really) are located between me and school. Weird, but no big deal. I love my neighborhood, and I'm close to the nightlife. :) I think the historical district has a LOT of personality that the West end can't really offer, and you don't have to deal with the drive. It is true that parts of the East end are a little ghetto, but there are some really nice places as well. I wouldn't totally count the East end out. The cool thing about Galveston being so old is that there are a lot more options than the humdrum apartment that most students are used to living in. I would definitely spend some time looking around.

If there are any girls out there that are looking for a rooommate, email me at [email protected]. I have a two bedroom apt at Villa Marina on hold but am open to other options. Let me know if you are interested, and we'll chat. I just think it's more fun to live with someone else, and of course splitting expenses is a plus too!

Thanks!
Jennifer

Yeah, I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet either. I did just get the second mailing with all of the student organizations. Maybe it'll be in the one that comes out at the beginning of August.

mphillips said:
Yeah, I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet either. I did just get the second mailing with all of the student organizations. Maybe it'll be in the one that comes out at the beginning of August.

Yeah, I got the mailing with the student organizations as well. They'll probably send the book closer to orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
tweetledee said:
Yeah, I got the mailing with the student organizations as well. They'll probably send the book closer to orientation.

I don't believe that I ever got the book last year, but I already had a copy that they gave me when I started at UT. But, don't worry about it at all. They never asked us about it, and we weren't really required to read it. I don't know too many people that actually read it. It's not a bad little book. If you really want a copy, I would probably contact someone.

Hello new UTMB Students! I just wanted to encourage you guys to participate in AMWA's Welcome Weekend in August. I did this last year, and it was one of the best events that I did for the summer. I think you guys already received a mail-out about it, but just to reiterate. On the schedule right now is a Big Sib/Little Sib Dinner, a beach party, a cookout with live music, and a luncheon that includes a panel of older students that have dared to go before you. Also, "unofficially" scheduled for that weekend are several parties that some of the frats are putting together just for you guys. To find out more info or to sign up, visit www.amwautmb.com
The deadline to sign up is July 21st!

While you guys are at it, you should also sign up for the Big Sib/Little Sib Program. We match you up with a second year student who can give you tips on how to study, cool places to go or eat on the island, and lots of other really useful resources (such as study guides and their old textbooks).

Last but not least...you new male medical students. Don't be thrown off by the fact that AMWA is an organization that traditionally centers on women's health. AMWA at UTMB has lots of events and resources that benefit everyone. Welcome Weekend and the Big Sib/Little Sib programs are not for any one gender. We won't even make you do dumb girly stuff either. :)

Ok, I think I have given it a long enough plug. Thanks for reading!

I am also looking for a female roommate this coming year. The apartment is Carelton Courtyard, 2bd/2bath. Let me know if you're interested.

i JUST WANTED TO SAY....I can't wait to meet all of you. It's gonna be a badass ride and we're gonna get through it together. Im so glad I made this choice and it will be an honor to be amongst the ranks of all you elite med students....here's to all the MS0's (soon to be MS1's)...lets make it big

ROOwala06 said:

haha...this thread needed that boost! :thumbup: :p I'm excited as well and can't wait to meet everyone! I can't believe it's almost July!!

Absolutely! I am so excited. I can't wait to meet everyone! I'm so happy that I chose Galveston. Have a happy summer everyone, we'll start this crazy journey in only two months!

Hello First Years,

My name is Juan and I am renting a room in my house in Fish Village. For those not familiar with the island, this is a great area on the east side of the island, minutes from the UTMB campus. This is a large house with a lot of amenities. Large living room and dining room. Large kitchen with gas stove, two door fridge (with automatic ice maker), dishwasher. The house has a large fenced in back yard, and a two car garage with automatic doors. The bedroom that is for rent, has good closet space, and hardwood floors. The house has three bedrooms, and im turning the third into an office that can be shared. I am a first year resident, that is quiet and clean, and looking for a male or female roomate. Rent is 675(negotiable) plus utilities. Email or Call [email protected] 305 788 0227 with any questions. Thanks and good luck with medical school.

If you're going to be a first year in the fall... has anyone gotten information on what the required texts are for next year?

Just the last mailing that said that the textbook lists were going to be up in the bookstore, etc.

Yeah, I stopped by the book store and they had a list of the required texts, but they weren't available for purchase yet. I'm not sure where my copy of the list ended up but if I find it I can post it on here.

Hey gang ... is anyone else having trouble logging on to Econnect through the UTMB website today?

You guys can take this advice with a grain of salt, but if I could do it all over, I would have waited to buy my books. I made the mistake of going to the bookstore and buying almost all the "required" textbooks, and I spent a ton of money and didn't end up looking at half of them. Plus, you can often find second years that would be willing to let you borrow (Big Sibs are great for this!) or would sell theirs for cheap. So, I wouldn't run out and buy all the books yet. AMWA gives an MS-I Survival Guide on CD to all of its new members, and we will be selling it on our website this year for non-members at a very affordable price. It has lots of suggestions on how to study and what books to buy for each class. I used the guide when deciding what books to buy for all my classes after GAR. Like I said, this may be crappy advice, but that is just how I felt after our first class. If you have any specific questions on the books listed for GAR, feel free to message me.

So is everyone planning on going to Quest?

mphillips said:
So is everyone planning on going to Quest?

Yeah, I think I'm probably going to go. It sounds like a good opportunity to meet everyone :) anyone else?

Hello everyone I have a quick question for those of you already at UTMB. I am in a wedding on Labor Day weekend and I am trying to schedule flight now.

Seeing as that is the first weekend of school. Does anyone know what a typical Friday is like? Should I schedule the flight very late in the day or would earlier be fine?

I know it's kind of random, but I sure could use the help! Thanks!

Swttxcandy said:
Hello everyone I have a quick question for those of you already at UTMB. I am in a wedding on Labor Day weekend and I am trying to schedule flight now.

Seeing as that is the first weekend of school. Does anyone know what a typical Friday is like? Should I schedule the flight very late in the day or would earlier be fine?

I know it's kind of random, but I sure could use the help! Thanks!

I checked our schedule from GAR last year, and on the first Friday, we were done at 11 AM. If they keep the schedule the same, you should be done by at least noon on Fridays for GAR most of the time. Hope that helps!

Congrats to everyone joining the UTMB class of 2010!!!

I'm in the class of 2009, and would love to get out from under my lease at the end of this month. Basically, I needed to give a longer notice for moving out of my apt. than I was able to, so I'm going to be stuck paying for an extra month unless.... someone wants to take over my lease :D

You can check out the complex at villamarinaapts.com

Its 1bd/1ba.

superunknown said:
Congrats to everyone joining the UTMB class of 2010!!!

I'm in the class of 2009, and would love to get out from under my lease at the end of this month. Basically, I needed to give a longer notice for moving out of my apt. than I was able to, so I'm going to be stuck paying for an extra month unless.... someone wants to take over my lease :D

You can check out the complex at villamarinaapts.com

Its 1bd/1ba.

He forgot to mention its within walking distance, or riding a bike. Its across from the field house (our gym).

I was wondering if we are going to get any more information about Quest. I sent my check and registration and everything, but I'm just paranoid that they didn't get it. Are we just supposed to show up, or do you think they will send some more info about it?

Also what time is the White Coat ceremony? It is monday aug.21, right?

That's right that its on Mon Aug 21, but as for what time I'm also not sure...

Can anyone post please the address to send the Quest check to, how much its for and any other info they wanted? I am overseas and in a city without access to my mailout packet and want to get this sent in if there is a deadline.

Also in the latest mailout there was something about getting the Scribes now for a lower price, but I sent an email and never heard back, I wanted to know the address to send the check to. Does anyone happen to have that info or has anyone had luck with contacting the Scribes people or have the snail mail address?

Thanks!

annamoo said:
That's right that its on Mon Aug 21, but as for what time I'm also not sure...

Can anyone post please the address to send the Quest check to, how much its for and any other info they wanted? I am overseas and in a city without access to my mailout packet and want to get this sent in if there is a deadline.

Also in the latest mailout there was something about getting the Scribes now for a lower price, but I sent an email and never heard back, I wanted to know the address to send the check to. Does anyone happen to have that info or has anyone had luck with contacting the Scribes people or have the snail mail address?

Thanks!

Send it to:

Quest 2006, c/o 2010
UTMB Office of Student Life
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1316

Its $35 for early registration (Aug 1st, deadline). Im pretty sure that's accurate as I just finished filling out that form

Yea, I'm definitely going to Quest. I think every opportunity to meet our classmates is important. Also, I move in on Aug. 11th so that will be when that AMWA thing happens. I plan on attending that as well. Hope to see as many of you as I can.

So did everyone else get the summer reading in the mail?

So, i don't know if anyone else got this email from UTMB's Lauree Thomas, but apparently i got the results from this past years USMLE Step 1 results....and without further ado

177 scores reported
1st time passage rate 99.41% (only 1 student failed)
Average Score 228 or 92

43 students (24%) scored 99
144 students (64%) scored 90 and higher

Is it just me or are these scores damn high?? Its good to know that many of us will probably have an awesome chance of matching at a top residency.

Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been overseas this whole time (Jordan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, etc.)...just know that i'll be good to be back in the US soon...we should have a party before any of the shindigs of QUEST or AMWA starts up.

Hey BaylorGuy, when are you going to be back in the Galveston area?

I don't know whether this has already been asked but does anyone know if UTMB is supposed to be sending out a mailing about computer requirements?
Any of the upperclassman know what us entering first years should be looking for? thanks! :)

Also, can we purchase scribes at orientation or do we have to that prior to orientation?

has anyone else noticed that tuition at UTMB has gone up from 9k a year to 11k a year for med students? They were saying in the interview presentation that their tuition is the lowest in TX, and now we're as espensive as UT Houston, still not too bad but I would have appreciated the honesty that tuition was going UP, since this was surely planned and they surely knew when they put up the fancy slide about how LOW it was.......for those of us attempting to pay without taking out loans....no bueno...

Hi, I am a female nursing student at UTMB. I graduated from Texas A&M before attending UTMB in Galveston. I am in my second year here and Galveston is great! I live in a two bedroom, one bathroom house 3-4 blocks from campus that is 1300 square feet, fully furnished except for one bedroom etc. Rent is $400.00. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested! I have to let my land lord know as soon as possible. Thanks and congratulations on your acceptance. UTMB is an incredible school!
Marmagee

DentalGal said:
Congrats everyone on matching to UTMB. I'm so excited! :D

So, does anyone know of any good apartments close to UTMB?

Hi, I am a female nursing student at UTMB. I graduated from Texas A&M before attending UTMB in Galveston. I am in my second year here and Galveston is great! I live in a two bedroom, one bathroom house 3-4 blocks from campus that is 1300 square feet, fully furnished except for one bedroom etc. Rent is $400.00. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested! I have to let my land lord know as soon as possible. Thanks and congratulations on your acceptance. UTMB is an incredible school!
Marmagee

Atheos said:
Hey BaylorGuy, when are you going to be back in the Galveston area?

Well, I'll be back in Houston with my family in a couple of days. I'm leaving the Middle East in a day or two and I'll probably neede the same amount of time to recover before i actually do anything worthwhile. My lease starts on the 14th, but i'll probably be down in Galveston beforehand for the AMWA meeting (I don't know when it is, but apparently my dad signed me up for it, so i guess I'll be going) and to check up on my old job and see if they need anything.

annamoo said:
has anyone else noticed that tuition at UTMB has gone up from 9k a year to 11k a year for med students? They were saying in the interview presentation that their tuition is the lowest in TX, and now we're as espensive as UT Houston, still not too bad but I would have appreciated the honesty that tuition was going UP, since this was surely planned and they surely knew when they put up the fancy slide about how LOW it was.......for those of us attempting to pay without taking out loans....no bueno...

I remember them saying it wasn't supposed to go up either...however, you know how things are with universities, the same talk about inflation and research and yada yada. Keep in mind, if you look at the tuition a couple years back before the Texas Legislature voted for de-regulated tuition, I believe all the universities in texas (aside from Baylor) had tuition below 6K per year...but then again, i have been known to be wrong before.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a recent mailout...anybody hear anything new about orientation or QUEST???

BaylorGuy said:
Just wondering if anyone has gotten a recent mailout...anybody hear anything new about orientation or QUEST???

The last thing I got in the mail was the summer reading and the reminder from the big sib program to register.

The QUEST people sent me an email after I registered for that but it was only a confirmation.

Has anyone recieved a confirmation from the Big Sib (AMWA)?

mphillips said:
The last thing I got in the mail was the summer reading and the reminder from the big sib program to register.

The QUEST people sent me an email after I registered for that but it was only a confirmation.

Has anyone recieved a confirmation from the Big Sib (AMWA)?

When did you receive the summer reading? I haven't gotten that yet. I didn't get the email confirmation for QUEST either.

tweetledee said:
When did you receive the summer reading? I haven't gotten that yet. I didn't get the email confirmation for QUEST either.

I got the summer reading maybe back at the beginning of the month (don't worry though its pretty boring looking and I have no intention of reading it so if you need a copy I can send you mine.) The author by chance, I kid you not, is a prof. at UT Austin, I smell a wholesale discount ;)

Or perhaps that's just the way universities work down here. I'm coming from a very small university in Massachusetts so I may be out of touch on the way things are done down here.

The QUEST email came a few days after I mailed them the check. All it said was that they would be cashing the checks in a few days and that they looked forward to seeing me at QUEST. There's a phone number in the email 409-772-1996, if you want to call incase you think they forgot you.

I can't believe it's already August. This summer is ticking away at lightening speed.