*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup:
mphillips said:
I got the summer reading maybe back at the beginning of the month (don't worry though its pretty boring looking and I have no intention of reading it so if you need a copy I can send you mine.) The author by chance, I kid you not, is a prof. at UT Austin, I smell a wholesale discount ;)

Or perhaps that's just the way universities work down here. I'm coming from a very small university in Massachusetts so I may be out of touch on the way things are done down here.

The QUEST email came a few days after I mailed them the check. All it said was that they would be cashing the checks in a few days and that they looked forward to seeing me at QUEST. There's a phone number in the email 409-772-1996, if you want to call incase you think they forgot you.

I can't believe it's already August. This summer is ticking away at lightening speed.

Thanks so much for all the info :thumbup: I just called about QUEST and they said I'm all registered so maybe they just forgot to email me :oops:
I'm reading a couple of other books at the moment, so if they don't send me the summer reading book, I'll just not worry about it :p Thanks for offering to send it to me though!

I agree, days are passing by way too quickly. I can't believe summer is almost over!

P.S. did anyone opt to stay with an upperclassman for the AMWA weekend? I did b/c I'm not going to be signing my lease until a little later. I haven't gotten any confirmation about the weekend or the Big Sib/Little Sib Program though..

Members don't see this ad.

mphillips said:
I got the summer reading maybe back at the beginning of the month (don't worry though its pretty boring looking and I have no intention of reading it so if you need a copy I can send you mine.) The author by chance, I kid you not, is a prof. at UT Austin, I smell a wholesale discount ;)

Or perhaps that's just the way universities work down here. I'm coming from a very small university in Massachusetts so I may be out of touch on the way things are done down here.

The QUEST email came a few days after I mailed them the check. All it said was that they would be cashing the checks in a few days and that they looked forward to seeing me at QUEST. There's a phone number in the email 409-772-1996, if you want to call incase you think they forgot you.

I can't believe it's already August. This summer is ticking away at lightening speed.

Yeah, I've gotten about halfway through the book, which is mildly interesting only because I disagree with so many of his statements. I think this book was assigned to generate discussion, so I'm okay with not liking it so much. Dr. Woodruff is the director of Plan II at UT, and having just graduated from there I can't say that I went into this book expecting to like his work :p

dinonut said:
Yeah, I've gotten about halfway through the book, which is mildly interesting only because I disagree with so many of his statements. I think this book was assigned to generate discussion, so I'm okay with not liking it so much. Dr. Woodruff is the director of Plan II at UT, and having just graduated from there I can't say that I went into this book expecting to like his work :p

Yeah, interesting read to say the least, but i've been kind of skipping around. It reads much like a political theory book a la Plato and Aristotle...and i hated political theory...plus it doesn't help that it home is currently my bathroom.

I just received the last mailout from UTMB today and it finally has a tentative schedule to orientation and it doesn't sound too fun. Basically 8am onward discussions/lectures about everything you could possibly think of...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if laptops are required?

TX515 said:
Does anyone know if laptops are required?

I highly doubt it. I'm sure they would have told us by now if they were and the last summer mailing came out on the 1st.

Did anyone here sign up to participate in the Bilingual Hispanic Health Care Track (HHCT)? They said something in the initial flyer that was sent a while back about taking a short course before starting med school-can still sign up for the HHCT without having completed this course?

Also, any news on the AMWA weekend? I signed up to stay with an upperclassman, but haven't heard anything yet...

tweetledee said:
Did anyone here sign up to participate in the Bilingual Hispanic Health Care Track (HHCT)? They said something in the initial flyer that was sent a while back about taking a short course before starting med school-can still sign up for the HHCT without having completed this course?

Also, any news on the AMWA weekend? I signed up to stay with an upperclassman, but haven't heard anything yet...

I don't know about the HHCT, but I got an email today (Friday 8/04) from the AMWA. They said they had exams this week so they are behind schedule with their emails. They told me to RSVP (if you haven't done so already on the website) by email: [email protected]

Hey I got the last mailing from UTMB the other day. I noticed that it says "professional dress is preferred during orientation week and during your time on campus." I'm thinking "seriously???" I am not wearing slacks to class every day - that is for dang sure. When I interviewed all the students were wearing scrubs if i recall :p So anyways....see y'all in like 2 weeks or so

BaylorKDLady said:
Hey I got the last mailing from UTMB the other day. I noticed that it says "professional dress is preferred during orientation week and during your time on campus." I'm thinking "seriously???" I am not wearing slacks to class every day - that is for dang sure. When I interviewed all the students were wearing scrubs if i recall :p So anyways....see y'all in like 2 weeks or so

Yeah i read this and totally blew it off. However, i have heard that dressing nice and looking presentable for orientation is probably a plus...white coat ceremony for sure and also taking pictures. aside from that, i know of no reason to dress professionally all the time. while working at UTMB, 9 times out of 10 i saw med students dress as normal college students, with the occasional scrubs as a style of choice.

Help!

We have to dress "professionally" for Orientation? May I ask why? I mean I get it for the white coat ceremony, but other than that...to walk around a huge sprawling campus all day in "nice" shoes for a female is literally almost a foot deforming certainty. I'm packing all my crap over here as we speak and I would love to know how the rest of you plan to dress for the rest of the week before I ship my stuff on the boat tomorrow...not to arrive for weeks and weeks....can I stay with the plan of one nice outfit for the White Coat parental papparazzi moment and tank tops and shorts for the rest of the week...or should I go unpack all that crap and re-arrange...????

I don't want to be the only one being disobiedent, but I simply cannot stand the idea of being miserable like we were during interviews.

HILFE!!!

annamoo said:
Help!

We have to dress "professionally" for Orientation? May I ask why? I mean I get it for the white coat ceremony, but other than that...to walk around a huge sprawling campus all day in "nice" shoes for a female is literally almost a foot deforming certainty. I'm packing all my crap over here as we speak and I would love to know how the rest of you plan to dress for the rest of the week before I ship my stuff on the boat tomorrow...not to arrive for weeks and weeks....can I stay with the plan of one nice outfit for the White Coat parental papparazzi moment and tank tops and shorts for the rest of the week...or should I go unpack all that crap and re-arrange...????

I don't want to be the only one being disobiedent, but I simply cannot stand the idea of being miserable like we were during interviews.

HILFE!!!

First off, i don't know why you are shipping stuff on a boat, but thats awesome.

As for the orientation and "professional" dress, i think its a bit of BS. From the little packet that i got it just says that professional dress is always preferred, however its required at the White Coat Ceremony (guys: slacks, shirt & tie...ladies: slacks/dress outfit). It also reminds us to dress professionally on Tuesday for our pictures (i think its for our ID badge and apparently a yearbook picture).

Aside from these times, i would throw the "professional" thing out the window. After working a year at UTMB, i can say that i've rarely seen med students (at least MS1 and 2) in anything but professional clothing...their dress basically reminds me of undergrad, including the flipflops. However, I can understand the professional dress thing while MS3 and 4, since you are working in a hospital and all in a professional environment.

If i were you, bring some nice clothes for White Coat Ceremony and some other things if they come up and then pack what you would normally wear. If all else fails, you could always borrow something from someone.

BaylorGuy said:
First off, i don't know why you are shipping stuff on a boat, but thats awesome.

I'm shipping on a boat bc I live in Austria and I am coming back in 3 wee days and I have accumulated an absolutely frightening amount of stuff in 2 years over here and I tried to throw most of it away but...but....ok I own too much crap and to use a service like DHL would cost almost 1000 euros bc its air service, so I am using the much cheaper, possibly ass-slow (but also sometimes very fast) boat shipping service!

If the boat sinks, it will be bc of my stuff. Not furniture, just....stuff. A friend of mine just had hers shipped to Long Island from Vienna and it only took a week on the boat, so I'm hoping mine takes as long as well from Innsbruck to Texas....otherwise I will literally be wearing the same thing every day!

Thanks for the advice, BaylorGuy, I'll do that!

annamoo said:

I will be disobedient with you!! write me [email protected] and we can make our plans!! :D

-alison-

Members don't see this ad :)
Its almost here....Its really almost here....can you guys just imagine the anxiety you felt when you were hearing back from UTMB...now, that thought seems so far away....a memory...haha I'll see a lot of ya'll hopefully this friday.

I can't wait to meet everyone who is going to be at the Welcome Weekend! :D Just out of curiosity, how many ppl aren't living on the island yet? lol, I'm not- I feel like such a slacker :p

tweetledee said:
Just out of curiosity, how many ppl aren't living on the island yet? lol, I'm not- I feel like such a slacker :p

My stuff is on the island but I'm not living there yet... I probably won't move down there for good until middle of next week. I can't wait to see everyone this weekend! :)

tweetledee said:
I can't wait to meet everyone who is going to be at the Welcome Weekend! :D Just out of curiosity, how many ppl aren't living on the island yet? lol, I'm not- I feel like such a slacker :p

I'm moving onto the island on the 14th, but i dont know when i will actually decide to begin living there...probably once i finish moving in and getting everything that i need...who knows

I'll see some of ya'll this weekend. Later

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to give you guys an update on AMWA stuff. I noticed a few people wondering about confirmations and whatnot. We have been getting everything done, but we are a little slow on emails because we have had a test and a paper to do in the last couple of weeks! Sorry about that! We have matched everyone with a Big Sib with the possible exception of people who signed up for the program within the last couple of days.

So, in case you signed up for Welcome Weekend but didn't get the update email on Monday. The first event is going to be the Welcome Dinner at the Phi Chi House. Big Sibs and Little Sibs will get to meet for the first time (I think we are going to be giving you your Big Sib match when you register). Everyone should be receiving contact from your Big Sib pretty soon, even if you aren't going to Welcome Weekend. The dinner starts at 7:30 PM. The Phi Chi House is located at

606 6th Street
Galveston, TX 77550

Basically, when you come into Galveston on I-45, I-45 will turn into Broadway. Follow Broadway until you get to 6th Street. Make a left and the Phi Chi House will be on the right hand side between Winnie and Church Streets. I think the Whataburger is right next to it.

When you register at the Registration Table, you will receive a packet with the schedule, directions, a T-shirt if you ordered one, and more fun facts. Also, the Frats are going to be having some parties that coincide with our schedule, so that adds to the fun!

Hope all of you guys signed up, and we are all excited to meet UTMB's newest medical school class!

Oh, and by the way, I noticed you guys wondering about "professional attire" at Orientation. I remember being just as surprised as you are. However, we were only required to wear it to White Coat, and then you probably want to wear something a little nicer for your ID pic. (I think someone already said all that, but I wanted to confirm). Other than that, I think the rest of the time we just wore regular stuff. We definitely wear regular stuff to class as long as it isn't TOO distracting, if you know what I mean.

Thanks eskimohead! I know a lot of us were freaking out about the professional dress thing. I moved in last weekend, but I'm not officially living on the island yet, just tying up some loose strings at home first. However, I will be moving myself on the 17th or so. I'm getting ready to leave for the welcome weekend now. Who else is going? I can't believe it's here!

MeganG said:
Thanks eskimohead! I know a lot of us were freaking out about the professional dress thing. I moved in last weekend, but I'm not officially living on the island yet, just tying up some loose strings at home first. However, I will be moving myself on the 17th or so. I'm getting ready to leave for the welcome weekend now. Who else is going? I can't believe it's here!

I'm planning to go to the Welcome Weekend, but I think I'm only going to be able to make the first day

I just moved in today. Its very weird to think that med school starts in a little bit. Hope to see everyone at the welcome weekend.

TX515 said:
Is the welcome weekend Quest?

I believe so. There are actually 2 separate weekend thingys. The first is today and tomorrow and is sponsored by AMWA. Then there is QUEST which is on the 18th and 19th, then orientation starts on the 21st.

Is anyone looking for another player on their intramural soccer team? If so, hollar at me, I'd like to play. Thanks.

I'm moving to Galveston on Tuesday, but I just wanted to say I'm really excited to meet you all!!

Could someone who has the Quest flyer handy post when and where we're supposed to meet in the mornings? Thanks. :>

Wow, this thread totally died....ready for the midterm next week...anyone??