*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
theblastopore said:
Is the PREP program for disadvantaged students only? Who's going to PREP?

I think the PREP program is more directed towards those who have taken off time between college and med school and those who majored in a non-science field. Its a good course if you are rusty on the basics, but its basically a review of what you will learn during first year (all of it is compressed into a few weeks though). I would consider taking it, but i've been working in the clinical field for the past year and majored in bio, so i dont think its going to put me at a disadvantage during MS1 if i dont take it.

Besides, i'm traveling over the summer....i'd much rather be anywhere than Galveston during the summer. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone wants to buy Lenovo (IBM), I MAY be able to help you get a 20% discount. PM me.

TX515 said:
To current students, what laptops do you recommend? There is a discount for Dells right? I was thinking about Lenovo, Apple, or Dell. Have there been any problems with wireless internet using the Apple? I have heard that Apples aren't so great going wireless. Thanks.

Actually, I've had great luck with my Apple (powerbook) on campus - in fact, I never have any trouble getting onto UTMB's oncampus wireless server (UTMBi), while 3 windows-users were bitching to me this week that it takes them 20 minutes each time to log in (I don't know if everyone has the same experience, just that some people were talkign about their problems yesterday). So, whoever told you Apples "aren't so great" for wireless was not being factual.

It is true that UTMB's wireless itself can be annoying - there's an on-campus intranet server (UTMBi) that you have to jump through hoops to get onto sometimes.

UTMB offered a cd for windows users (that didn't work, btw, and ended up slowing some people's machines down. :laugh: ), but I just set up my Mac without the cd in less than 5 minutes one day, and now it automatically logs into the wireless server nearly every time (there's a website on how to do this & what security measures to use).

When the campus wireless networks are being testy (for everyone, don't know why this happens every once in a while), my powerbook can log on when other users can't because I just go to internet connect and "remind it" (manually press connect) to log into the wireless server. Still, don't worry, the wireless network seems to be fine for everyone most of the time.

As for software compatibiity, the ~2 cds we have been given so far had .exe files, but the important files are usually set up as .html files or available on the course website, so they are still viewable on macs, or at least on any campus computer.

Oh yeah, and apple offers educational discounts - I think 10% on their website and cheap software in the bookstore. Basically, UTMB is considered under UT Austin's discounts. :)

A lot of students have those tablet PCs too, which can be pretty useful for marking notes on color pictures and such. My friends who have them like their compact size and convenience.

Somehow UTMB forgot to mention that they somewhat expect us to have a laptop - we just started a new lab this week and we've been told to bring our laptop to class. You don't *need* a laptop, since they also provide the actual slides in class, but it's useful to bring it.

Members don't see this ad :)
biggity bump

any new news?

ok....bump again i guess....i dont see my post

Thanks for all the good info. Another question... I remember at interview day that someone said 80-90% of the first year class went overseas to do some sort of third-world preceptorship. Does this sound accurate? Even 30% would be incredible.

Is there a club for those interested in international medicine? Also, are there many opportunities for med students at the WHO on campus?

Also, how can UTMB be such a great school and have such a horrid website?

Anyone hear back anything about scholarships??

surjanky said:

That is so funny, I can't agree with you more! What's up with UTMB's website?

Is anyone going to be on UTMB's student insurance? Does UTMB have student insurance?

I got off my family's plan after college so I need to figure out how to get health insurance during medical school. I probably need to figure out car insurance, too....

Is there Bank of America in Galveston?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Is anyone going to be on UTMB's student insurance? Does UTMB have student insurance?

I got off my family's plan after college so I need to figure out how to get health insurance during medical school. I probably need to figure out car insurance, too....

Yep! There is one downtown and one on 61st.

Do we have to have a laptop? Is it recommanded to have one?

laya533 said:
Do we have to have a laptop? Is it recommanded to have one?

I dont think we need to have one and i'm not too sure about whether its recommended or not. From what i've heard, not a whole lot of people bring their laptops to class. I think we need a PDA for 3rd/4th year, but thats nothing to worry about until then.

I'm planning on getting a laptop when classes start anyway.

anyone else go apt shopping yet? My husband and I did last weekend and found an apartment in webster. Time is slowly ticking by...is it may yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
kaleidoscope83 said:

I never had health insurance before :laugh: . I think health insurance is required and the school should have it. I guess school health insurance is the only choice for me

theblastopore said:
I never had health insurance before :laugh: . I think health insurance is required and the school should have it. I guess school health insurance is the only choice for me

Yup, the school does provide student health insurance. I don't personally know how much it is though.

kaleidoscope83 said:

As Yorkie06 said, there is a Bank of America on 61st St, but there's also one on Market St. and around 20th St. which is a few blocks away from school. Hope that helps.

hi dudes

anyone know which apartment buildings have internet in them? high speed??

danke

did anyone get an email for econnect today? I have no idea what is my student pin and password. Maybe more info is on the way in the mail

fireorose said:
did anyone get an email for econnect today? I have no idea what is my student pin and password. Maybe more info is on the way in the mail

i called the number given in the email and they gave me the pin and pw.

maverick06 said:
i called the number given in the email and they gave me the pin and pw.

I did too. Its asks if you want loan money for a computer.

Aloha Class of 2010,
As you've likely heard, the students of UTMB take seriously the task of balancing scholarly medical pursuits with enjoying every free moment.
Along those lines, we would love for each of you to join us for the AKK Medical Fraternity's first-ever Crawfish Boil on March 25 (next Sat). The festivities start at 3pm, and we're hosting live bands throughout the night.
The celebrations will provide opportunities to meet current students, residents, faculty and alumni, to ask questions, and especially, to have fun. We're excited that you chose UTMB, and hope the experience will be far more fun than your expecting (it has been for us!)
The location is 301 Postoffice St. if you have any questions, or if we can facilitate accomodations, please do not hesitate to write at [email protected]. We hope to see you soon!

Soon2B-MD said:
Aloha Class of 2010,
As you've likely heard, the students of UTMB take seriously the task of balancing scholarly medical pursuits with enjoying every free moment.
Along those lines, we would love for each of you to join us for the AKK Medical Fraternity's first-ever Crawfish Boil on March 25 (next Sat). The festivities start at 3pm, and we're hosting live bands throughout the night.
The celebrations will provide opportunities to meet current students, residents, faculty and alumni, to ask questions, and especially, to have fun. We're excited that you chose UTMB, and hope the experience will be far more fun than your expecting (it has been for us!)
The location is 301 Postoffice St. if you have any questions, or if we can facilitate accomodations, please do not hesitate to write at [email protected]. We hope to see you soon!

I'm so down...i've been craving some crawfish for like 3 weeks now and haven't had a chance to indulge.

congrats to everyone who's been accepted. galveston's a little bit of a change, as is medical school as a whole, but you'll learn to love it.

now that i have gotten that out of the way, if anyone is doing pre-matriculation, i am looking to sublease my apartment over the summer. it's not exactly close to campus, but the drive is about 15-20 minutes straight on seawall. my complex has a website, http://www.theclubliving.com/Galveston-Homepage.htm, so you know it's fancy.

longwave10 said:
congrats to everyone who's been accepted. galveston's a little bit of a change, as is medical school as a whole, but you'll learn to love it.

now that i have gotten that out of the way, if anyone is doing pre-matriculation, i am looking to sublease my apartment over the summer. it's not exactly close to campus, but the drive is about 15-20 minutes straight on seawall. my complex has a website, http://www.theclubliving.com/Galveston-Homepage.htm, so you know it's fancy.

Hi, I'm doing PREP this summer and I am very interested in leasing your apartment. Could you please e-mail me with the particulars at:
[email protected]
Thanks so much and I'm looking forwarding to attending UTMB this fall.

fireorose said:

Did you fill out the FAFSA for this? I filled out the FAFSA in early February, but something got messed up so they're just processing it now. I haven't gotten my student pin in the email. I hope I get it soon...

Hey guys, congrats on getting into UTMB. I know you are going to have a great time here learning to be a doctor. I'm a graduating 4th year, moving to Seattle, and I have been living in a house in fish village (about 1 mile from campus). The address is 128 Albacore Ave on the corner of marine and albacore, if you want to look it up on the map. It is 2 bedrooms with a study, 1 bathroom. Hardwood floors in the entry, 2nd bedroom and study. Carpet in the hallway and 1st bedroom. Tile in the large, open living/dining and kitchen. Detached 2 car garage. And it's a corner lot, so the front and backyards are big with lots of grass and a concrete patio in the back. Updated appliances in the kitchen and a washer/dryer in the garage that are staying. The rent is 1350/month. You would be responsible for the bills which are reasonable (100-180 electric, 15-20 gas, 45-50 water/sewer/garbage, cable, phone.) This would be a great place to share. The area is very quiet and safe. We go walking at night all the time around the neighborhood and have never felt unsafe. PM me for any more info. I will be moving out in June, so move-in would probably be July 1, or earlier if I can get out of here earlier.

kaleidoscope83 said:
Did you fill out the FAFSA for this? I filled out the FAFSA in early February, but something got messed up so they're just processing it now. I haven't gotten my student pin in the email. I hope I get it soon...

Yeah, I didn't know what my student PIN /ID were, so I called UTMB and they gave it to me. They said some people got it with their initial letters and some didn't... :rolleyes:

Hiya.

I haven't been on this thing in a while, but I am a 2009'er and I thought I'd check up on how next year's newest Galvestonians are getting along. Also, I can't let fotolilith and AQP have all the fun.

Here are a few $.02:

Fotolilith and NatrlRx123 has given lots of good advice about books and classes and voluteering and so on, but I would caution you to not be thinking about those things too much yet. Once you get here (if you're pre-matric, it'll just be 6 weeks earlier that this applies, I suppose), you'll get hit with truckloads of info fast and hard. BUT: everyone else will be doing the same, and everyone that's come before you did the same, and got through it. It's nice to think about what books you'll want now, but speaking personally, I had no idea until 2 days into Gross Anatomy, when I was confusedly standing in front of the rack in the bookstore and flagged down an upperclassman that was stumbing by so I could ask him which were essentials. And as far as clubs/volunteering/etc go: once again, it's good to have some things in mind, but the full range and scope of options won't really be apparent to you until Quest or orientation anyway, at which point you will get more information than you can handle. Plus, you won't really be missing any opportunities (with the possible exception of Scribes council?) by not thinking about it now. Same goes w/r/t academics: if you're anything like me you are probably feeling like you should do something this summer to "get in shape", but the fact is that doing something like that probably won't help much, and if anything you will lose some of the time you've earned to loaf a little bit before the real work begins :) (not that it isn't also fun most of the time...). So basically I'm saying: survive college (or whatever you're doing now). Watch lots of TV. Read some books you've been meaning to. Travel this summer. Expand your horizons. And then in August you'll be ready to buckle down. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but this was the approach that has worked for me (so far, at least). Everything is set up for you to hit the ground running once you get here, even though it won't seem like it for the first week or two.

Another bit of info: I've been living in the AKK fraternity house this year, and it was a very good way to start off the UTMB experience. I would venture to say that our house is nicer than most of the other frat houses, and Franco's meals are indeed excellent. The pool is nice and kept clean, and things are generally pretty quiet around the house (except, of course, during the parties we throw--which, if I may say so, have been some of the better ones this year). You get a personal room with a pretty large closet and share a bathroom with one person. This is a really good option if you're doing pre-matric this summer: you will be in need of housing for 6 weeks, and rent for that period in the AKK house is only $450. And, if you decide the housing enviroment is not a personal fit, there's no commitment involved, and you'll have 6 weeks to get adjusted and decide if you want to venture out into the mean streets of Galveston apartments (although they're really not as mean as people make them out to be). I believe some of the other fraternities have a similar pre-matric deal as well.

OK, that's all I've got. Congratulations again, and I look forward to seeing you all in August!

surjanky said:
Thanks for all the good info. Another question... I remember at interview day that someone said 80-90% of the first year class went overseas to do some sort of third-world preceptorship. Does this sound accurate? Even 30% would be incredible.

Is there a club for those interested in international medicine? Also, are there many opportunities for med students at the WHO on campus?

The most often quote I've heard with that 80-90% number is that 80-90% of first year students do *something* the summer after first year, but that's definitely not only international stuff (I've heard of about 15-20 people in our class so far, & most are going to central america, asia, africa, etc).

There is a club called SIGHT that has LOTS of info on international preceptorships & will have meetings/ info sessions throughout the year - they don't really have a complete website because they're trying to get members to "buy" their info packet (included in the membership fee). You will see them at the organization fair during orientation.

You don't have to do anything constructive the summer between first and second year, and honestly it will have very little bearing on your USMLE scores/ residency applications, etc, if you just sit on a beach for 2 months (with the exception of maybe derm and ortho - those competitive fields pretty much expect you to do research or something at that time).

In fact, be sure to ask drfunktacular about his summer of fun, which I'm extremely jealous about, when you get here next fall. ;)

TX515 said:
To current students, what laptops do you recommend? There is a discount for Dells right? I was thinking about Lenovo, Apple, or Dell. Have there been any problems with wireless internet using the Apple? I have heard that Apples aren't so great going wireless. Thanks.

I'm not a current student, just accepted like the rest, but I absolutely LOVE my iBook G4 from apple. I have an airport wireless internet card built in, and whenever I go to places (coffeshops) with it, it works great. In fact I'm on the internet at a coffeshop now. Plus it doesn't get viruses, or crash (no blue screen of death). Sorry for the advertisement, but I just can't say enough good things about it.

MeganG said:
I'm not a current student, just accepted like the rest, but I absolutely LOVE my iBook G4 from apple. I have an airport wireless internet card built in, and whenever I go to places (coffeshops) with it, it works great. In fact I'm on the internet at a coffeshop now. Plus it doesn't get viruses, or crash (no blue screen of death). Sorry for the advertisement, but I just can't say enough good things about it.

Well, another thing in your favor - when you finally get your iBook onto the campus wireless server (it's a jump through hoops for eveyone, tho maybe they will actually give your class the correct instructions this time around), it's a breeze to *keep* getting onto the server when everyone else can't connect. For some reason, sometimes the campus wireless intranet will just play hide and seek from all the laptops in the area, but with apple's great design, all I have to do it go to Internet Connect and "remind" it to connect to the "802.1x" settings.

...But the draw back to this is that you might be tempted to surf the internet during lectures, so it's up to you. ;-)

Also, if you have Tiger OS on your iBook you should definitely d/l & install "Quicksilver" - you set a key code and then every time you need to open a program or file a file all you have to do is press the code and type in the program you want (and your search pops up imediately). It cleans up your dock since you don't need to have a bunch of programs shortcutted on there. It totally spoils you. :) :love:

Hi guys, congrats on getting into UTMB. you will absolutely love it. I'm a first year here and it was such an easy transition and the people really care about you. I just wanted to let you guys know that if anyone needs a place to say for May and June (prematrics, early movers, etc.) I have an apartment I want to sublet. I'm going to be doing research at the NIH so I just need someone to take over for those few months. During that time, you can gradually find a permenant place to live and just get used to living here in galveston. I came down early last year to find everything and start meeting my new classmates and friends. The rent is only 300/month + utilities. Cables included. If anyone is interested just shoot me a message.

Abby

I have been kindly asked by the wonderful and lovely lady in the student life office (you'll get to know her if you enjoy getting free highlighters, candy, an popcorn!!) to point out that the tech support people at UTMB are technically trained for PCs, and so it's generally best for Mac users to call apple tech support if you have any computing problems with iBooks/ powerbooks, etc(which is generally a good idea anyways, but this is for clarification). I haven't had to call tech support for any computer related stuff, but it's fyi.

Additionally, if you're on the fence about going to Quest 2006, that's a no brainer (it's yes!!). Quest is the "pre-orientation" party/ social weekend that UTMB's student life office (and wonderful students) put together for incoming students. You get meals, a t-shirt, a chance to make friends inside and outside of school, entertainment, etc. :thumbup:

You will get a flier (with the super secret theme ;-) ) in a future UTMB mailout about signing up for Quest, so if you don't have any conflicts the weekend before orientation you should attend and have fun with us. :D

Hi every body,
i ve just submitted my request to UTMB for 2 elective courses in clinical gastroenero and cardio consult
i would hear from u about my choices and chances to get the seat for that.
i hope to be involved in intersting rotations.
plz provide me with the minute tips to utilize these courses maximally and wonder if i can have greater chance in doing surgery resesdency at UTMB in the future?

thanks alot every body gives time to read or write :D

Hey guys!
I am planning to attend the PREP program. Does anyone know which fraternity house is better than others? I appreciate everyones help!

Does anyone know what the class schedule/hours are like at UTMB and whether or not attendance is mandatory? Are the lectures videotaped and made available online?

They may have told us on interview day, but I don't remember... :rolleyes:

Sorry if these questions have already been answered elsewhere on this thread :oops:

tweetledee said:
Does anyone know what the class schedule/hours are like at UTMB and whether or not attendance is mandatory? Are the lectures videotaped and made available online?

They may have told us on interview day, but I don't remember... :rolleyes:

Sorry if these questions have already been answered elsewhere on this thread :oops:

I'm not a student yet, so I don't know the exact hours. From my understanding, we'll basically have half-day classes--8-12 for first year and 1-5 for second year. We'll have most of the other half of the day to ourselves (except for some time for lab or practice of medine)

I'm not sure whether attendance is mandatory or not. I would think it's not mandatory, except for lab and practice of medicine.

I am certain that we don't have videotaped lecture.

I hope some current we'll give us the "real" information

it's still available, $700/month.

theblastopore said:
I'm not a student yet, so I don't know the exact hours. From my understanding, we'll basically have half-day classes--8-12 for first year and 1-5 for second year. We'll have most of the other half of the day to ourselves (except for some time for lab or practice of medine)

I'm not sure whether attendance is mandatory or not. I would think it's not mandatory, except for lab and practice of medicine.

I am certain that we don't have videotaped lecture.

I hope some current we'll give us the "real" information

The time that you guys spend in class varies depending on what you're taking. In general, classes are from 8-12 (during your Anatomy course about half the time they start at nine). You guys also do take your Practice of Medicine course which means that you spend three hours once a week (not every week) in small groups.

Attendance is not really mandatory except for labs, Practice of Medicine, and your Problem Based Learning. Lectures here are not video taped, but the Scribe service should tape them (our year did anyways).

Hope this helps.

Just called the financial aid office...they said that they are packaging up the financial aid award letters and sending them off either the end of this week or beginning of next week.

If you've already got your galveston email setup, they said that they would send the award letter via email probably next week.

BaylorGuy said:
Just called the financial aid office...they said that they are packaging up the financial aid award letters and sending them off either the end of this week or beginning of next week.

If you've already got your galveston email setup, they said that they would send the award letter via email probably next week.

Thanks for the heads up!

I forget, how much does the scribes service cost? They actually video-taped the classes last year?

BaylorGuy said:

How do we set up our UTMB email?

BaylorGuy said:

Hey BaylorGuy, Thanks for the info! Do you know whether we'd be able to check or financial aid awards online?

You should be able to check your financial awards online, but i dont think they are activated yet. I've been trying to do it for a couple of days and it just gives me an error saying that it isn't ready or something of the sort.

About setting up UTMB email, try calling up the admissions/student affairs office and they should help you out with that...most usually its the first initial of your first name, first initial of second name, and then 6 letters of your last name (or less).

So if you name was Miguel sandiego christopher, your email would be [email protected] Well, at least is it for me....call them up to be safe.

I just got my second packet yesterday! Woo hoo! Stuff about orientation, quest, parking, student health, etc... Has anyone gotten their financial aid stuff yet? I haven't gotten anything.... :confused:

Also, has anyone decided where they are going to live?? I went and looked this past week and everyplace has different pros and cons I am so confused! Plus you have to get on a waiting list unless you are moving in like june but since I didn't get invited to do pre-matric I'm not moving till August. Yikes...

PS - I can't wait to meet everyone

BaylorKDLady said:
I just got my second packet yesterday! Woo hoo! Stuff about orientation, quest, parking, student health, etc... Has anyone gotten their financial aid stuff yet? I haven't gotten anything.... :confused:

Also, has anyone decided where they are going to live?? I went and looked this past week and everyplace has different pros and cons I am so confused! Plus you have to get on a waiting list unless you are moving in like june but since I didn't get invited to do pre-matric I'm not moving till August. Yikes...

PS - I can't wait to meet everyone

Did you go to Baylor U? Because I went there.

those of you who moved in August in previous years....can you help us out a little....where and how and when did you find housing??

thanks!

DentalGal said:
Did you go to Baylor U? Because I went there.

Yup! I still go there actually, class of 2006 :)

Sic Em