*UTMB Class of 2010 thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalGal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats everyone on matching to UTMB. I'm so excited! :D

So, does anyone know of any good apartments close to UTMB?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi DentalGal. I am new to the forum. But I am sooo excited about being accepted to UTMB. It was my first choice also. Well hope to meet all of you soon.

UTMB c/o 2010!!!!

Hi everybody, I skulked around as a lurker before, and I am fairly new to the forum. In any case, I matched at UTMB as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atheos said:
Hi everybody, I skulked around as a lurker before, and I am fairly new to the forum. In any case, I matched at UTMB as well.
I have so much adrenaline running right now...I am gonna be so dead at work tommorrow.

fireorose said:
I have so much adrenaline running right now...I am gonna be so dead at work tommorrow.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. At least my classes don't start until 10 AM tomorrow.

Hey everyone, congratulations on your acceptances!! I'm relatively new to SDN, but I'm an out-of-stater from California and I'm so excited to attend UTMB-Galveston with all of you!

As of now, I'll be attending UTMB in the fall! congrats to all! ;)

DentalGal said:
Congrats everyone on matching to UTMB. I'm so excited! :D

So, does anyone know of any good apartments close to UTMB?

Yeah! Wow, I remember being in shock about this time last year, but you've matched at an outstanding school. I'm finishing my first year, and so far UTMB has not sucked the life out of me (like I hear from my friends at other schools), so I consider that a big plus for you. ;)

As for housing... err. Close to campus is catch as catch can.
A) You could live in a frat (phi chi and phi rho are coed and fill up fast, email Mike Hunte [email protected] if you want to find out more about Phi Chi). Both places are under $400/mo for ~9 meals a week, all bills paid, free laundry, close to campus (3 minute bike ride, 10 minute walk). TKY, AKK, & the Beta House are options for males who want to join a frat (TKY just had their "in drag" house meeting tonight... and I got some great photos ;) ).

B)There are other apartments near campus - carelton courtyard and Casa Caribe have a lot of students, http://www.tramonterealty.com/ lists apartments and homes near campus, and here's a page: http://www.galveston.com/apts/.

C) There are condos near campus you can buy/ rent.

Quick hint - the street numbers get smaller the closer you are to UTMB, so, for instance, Phi Chi is 606 University, because it's on 6th street (UTMB is between 6th and 12th). Find a place between 1st and 15th/16th, & Harborside and Avenue H, and you should be close enough to walk to campus (or ride your bike). Don't live between 20th and 45th, if you can help it - you're isolated and the neighborhoods are not that pleasant.

Most people I know just came down here and scoped a place they drove by or found an advertisement for, stayed at a frat, or had their parents buy them a house in Fish Village (close to campus). The rest rented/ bought houses/ apartments around 15th-20th streets, some got expensive lofts downtown, and some students got apartments on the other side of the island (between 45th and 61st).

I totally love being able to wake up 15 mins before class & not have to worry about parking (which is fine until 7:50am - then you have to park far away. That's a pain during the last 2 classes, Pathobio and Neuro, because they have 10am labs on Tuesdays/ Thursdays and you will never find parking near campus). But I gotta admit, Phi Chi is kinda a dump (a CHEAP dump! ;-). However, it also has a "family" type environment that I needed my first year, & I'm staying here again next year.

Good luck with housing - it's probably good you start now, because some places fill up fast.

PS - I gotta plug Scribes Service - it's UTMB's note-taking service. You will **not be able to survive** your first 2 years without buying the scribes from 2009's class and from your own class.

Most people buy the scribes from the class before, get the individual course notes bound (I like Office Depot), and then take notes in the margins. Then 3-4 days later they check with the new scribes listed online for updates (or download the audio recordings). Most of the material stays the same from year to year, but you need both years to supplement your studies.

We're giving a special deal off of our scribes if you order by this summer, so visit http://www.scribes2009.com and email the treasurer for more info.

Oh yeah, and don't buy books at the beginning of your classes (except for POM - but you have time to order those online from half.com).

You need a gross anatomy text (I liked Grants and Rohens, you can get a "free" netters if you pay the $65 dues to AMSA and sign up for a credit card), get the moores essential clinical anatomy book for gross anatomy.. you probably won't need the radiology book unless you REALLY like the topic...I liked Netter's cards, brs gross anatomy...

Do NOT buy any of the books for MCT, except Lippincott's Biochemistry. The "official" biochem book, medical genetics, etc are all stuff you can look up in the library (so don't get rid of your undergrad science books). And get Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple for pathobio!!

And get a copy of First Aid for the USMLE - anything listed in there will definitely be on med school exams, and it gives great memory aids!

Good luck, and try not to go overboard before/ after you get here. You're good enough to be accepted, UTMB will probably choose some awesome classmates for you, the faculty are caring and funny, and just stay under the radar of the associate dean of students & you'll be okay. :luck:

tweetledee said:
As of now, I'll be attending UTMB in the fall! congrats to all! ;)

Ditto, congrats to all....FYI, check out the Texas Interviews thread about upcoming info about the Houston SDN meetup this weekend.

Hey everyone! Congratulations to all of us. I can't wait to meet all of you. Everyone I met at my interview (12/16/05) was really great, friendly, and helpful, so I know that this year's class will be even better. Is anyone planning on going down there sometime to check out housing? I'm thinking about going over spring break.

Congratulations!
PS: were all of you going crazy Jan.31 ALL DAY? :scared: That was me all day. But at 12:02 I logged on and then I was :eek: :thumbup: :laugh:
Sorry for being so stupid, but I'm just too happy!

PS fotolilith, I saw you on last year's thread, too. Is it everything you hoped, easier (yeah right) harder (more likely). Thanx for the great tips. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy every little thing. Kind of like undergrad. some things are important and some (like a $100 botany book) is just excessive!

Thanks for all the help fotolilith! I was just looking at apartments on the internet today, and I wasn't sure where to start! :)

Can I join you guys? :D Even though I didn't match to UTMB, I'll still be one of your classmates~ :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, you can join us!

Has anyone received their acceptance letters in the snail mail yet?

Nope, and I was just wondering when we would get the snail mail packets. Is anyone going down there to check out housing?

Imsotired: what school did you match?

MeganG said:
PS fotolilith, I saw you on last year's thread, too. Is it everything you hoped, easier (yeah right) harder (more likely). Thanx for the great tips. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy every little thing. Kind of like undergrad. some things are important and some (like a $100 botany book) is just excessive!

Realistically - it's nothing like I expected (both good and bad). On the one hand, UTMB has a knack for picking kind, supportive, *real* people to fill their classes (it may be a lot like high school, with cliques and all, but we're all still family - last semester, when I was dealing with a personal tragedy, some people I barely knew offered their support and sympathy. I was touched).

On the other, you're going to look around and wonder "how did this person get to med school?!?!" about some of your classmates.

It's definitely harder - the first 2 classes, I studied more for the exams than I had for the MCAT, because "average" in med school is out of the top 10% or so you dealt with in undergrad. But, OTOH, they kinda spoon feed you most of the material (like we had about *3 days* worth of biochemistry - never had to memorize structures or anything. This greatly angered the students who spent numerous semesters taking that in college. hehe).

Now I'm slipping/ distracted with more personal drama (getting married this summer), so I've got to find my balance between school and life again (which will be the HARDEST challenge you will face in med school!!!).

Not to mention, after this week's lectures on fungi and parasites... I *never* want to leave my home or shake someone else's hand again! You haven't lived until you see your professor *laughing with glee* as she tells the class about the worm she pulled out of someone's colon - *right before lunch!* It's harder on my appetite than gross anatomy lab ever was!!! ;)

So, as for general advice –
1. PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT date someone within the class... UTMB = "U Tell My Business" and dating within the class is tantamount to incest!
2. Volunteer at the free clinic, St. Vincent's OFTEN - every week if you want. You will learn more clinical stuff in 1 evening than an ENTIRE semester of “POM” (practice of medicine our kinda screwy clinical medicine class).
3. Make friends, but don’t talk about them behind their back (again, UTMB= “U tell my business”!). This is a great skill to learn – UTMB will cram down your throat the importance of “professionalism,” but you won’t get it until you practice it. Not only do you hurt yourself personally and professionally when you start spreading rumors about people, but if you keep up that kind of behavior in your professional life you could lose that MD. So practice keeping your mouth shut, no matter how juicy the gossip is.
4. Take lots of embarrassing photos of your classmates (that’s what I do) – it will keep you sane. ;)
5. Bathe in bug spray
6. Get last years and your year’s scribes – they will help with your studies. Most of your test questions come right out of your scribes.
7. Don’t believe everything you read! (Sorry, internal joke in my class). But seriously – all the textbooks, some of the scribes, and some of the power points will be bogus. But try to tell Dr. Greg Asimakis (he goes by “Dr. A” too) that you do not believe everything you read – maybe he will show you the t-shirt we made for him. ;)

Good luck!

MeganG said:
Imsotired: what school did you match?

It's funny because I was already accepted to the UTMB MD/PhD program last week, but I didn't match anywhere today. I didn't find out until today that I was excluded from the match at UTMB. I was waitlisted at UT-Houston's program so I thought that maybe they would consider me for the match, but didn't match there either. I called the admissions office and they didn't really know what was going on. Complicated huh? :oops:

DentalGal said:
Sure, you can join us!

Has anyone received their acceptance letters in the snail mail yet?

I received it on January 14th cause I'm an out of state applicant, but some important dates mentioned in the packet are:

1) QUEST 2006: New student retreat from all schools--August 18th, 19th
2) Orientation, Registration, "Rush Week"--August 21-25th
3) White Coat Ceremony(so excited for this!)--August 21st
4) Classes Begin--August 28th

Hey fotolith, if we're interested in living at one of the fraternities next year, do we have to work that out before rush week?

fotolilith said:
Realistically - it's nothing like I expected (both good and bad). On the one hand, UTMB has a knack for picking kind, supportive, *real* people to fill their classes (it may be a lot like high school, with cliques and all, but we're all still family - last semester, when I was dealing with a personal tragedy, some people I barely knew offered their support and sympathy. I was touched).

On the other, you're going to look around and wonder "how did this person get to med school?!?!" about some of your classmates.

It's definitely harder - the first 2 classes, I studied more for the exams than I had for the MCAT, because "average" in med school is out of the top 10% or so you dealt with in undergrad. But, OTOH, they kinda spoon feed you most of the material (like we had about *3 days* worth of biochemistry - never had to memorize structures or anything. This greatly angered the students who spent numerous semesters taking that in college. hehe).

Now I'm slipping/ distracted with more personal drama (getting married this summer), so I've got to find my balance between school and life again (which will be the HARDEST challenge you will face in med school!!!).

Not to mention, after this week's lectures on fungi and parasites... I *never* want to leave my home or shake someone else's hand again! You haven't lived until you see your professor *laughing with glee* as she tells the class about the worm she pulled out of someone's colon - *right before lunch!* It's harder on my appetite than gross anatomy lab ever was!!! ;)

So, as for general advice –
1. PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT date someone within the class... UTMB = "U Tell My Business" and dating within the class is tantamount to incest!
2. Volunteer at the free clinic, St. Vincent's OFTEN - every week if you want. You will learn more clinical stuff in 1 evening than an ENTIRE semester of “POM” (practice of medicine our kinda screwy clinical medicine class).
3. Make friends, but don’t talk about them behind their back (again, UTMB= “U tell my business”!). This is a great skill to learn – UTMB will cram down your throat the importance of “professionalism,” but you won’t get it until you practice it. Not only do you hurt yourself personally and professionally when you start spreading rumors about people, but if you keep up that kind of behavior in your professional life you could lose that MD. So practice keeping your mouth shut, no matter how juicy the gossip is.
4. Take lots of embarrassing photos of your classmates (that’s what I do) – it will keep you sane. ;)
5. Bathe in bug spray
6. Get last years and your year’s scribes – they will help with your studies. Most of your test questions come right out of your scribes.
7. Don’t believe everything you read! (Sorry, internal joke in my class). But seriously – all the textbooks, some of the scribes, and some of the power points will be bogus. But try to tell Dr. Greg Asimakis (he goes by “Dr. A” too) that you do not believe everything you read – maybe he will show you the t-shirt we made for him. ;)

Good luck!

i was just wondering about pbl. Do you like it and is it hard? Thanks!

For all Houston SDNers that want to partay

Just an update on the situation....i just called up Katz's. They dont have any formal reservations perse, but they have my name down and told me to call about 30 min beforehand when we show up. Also, the don't split checks (which means if you are coming, BRING CASH!!!) and there is an additional 12-15% gratuity added to parties greater than 6.

As a backup, Buca has the Pope's table reserved at 7:30...which means if we do go here (which seems more and more unlikely), we will have to wait around for a big table to open up (which could possible take an hour or longer....especially on a friday night).

So yea, see below....PM me for my number and name (you know, so we can meet up later and not have no idea what is going on when we show up at Katz's) :D :D :D

Place: Katz's.....backup is Buca
Date:Friday 2/3/06
Time:7:30
Current Guest List
BaylorGuy
ClearDay
newdude
potato51
yourmom
DesiMcat
wigeon
sj786
karirunner
Miss155
fireorose

Awesome post Fotolilith, thanks. UTMB c/o 2010! Congratulations to all.

When does UTMB send out their acceptance letters?

For anyone interested in the fraternity experience at UTMB, the elite brotherhood of Theta Kappa Psi (TKY) will be holding an information session for incoming first years in College Station on Friday Feb. 24th and in Austin on Saturday Feb. 25th. This is a great opportunity for the Class of 2010 to meet some upperclassmen who can answer any questions you might have. The locations have not been determined but PM me and I'll get you details. We look forward to seeing some of you guys out there and congrats on getting in!

Anyone? Anyone? (Ferris Bueller style)

whats up I got into UTMB Jan 9 as an out of stater (comin out of VA) and am psyched about possibly coming to school there...the catch is i'm still waiting an my state school to make an offer and if they do it will be a very tough decision.

any other out of staters??

BobbyGoGetter said:
I received it on January 14th cause I'm an out of state applicant, but some important dates mentioned in the packet are:

1) QUEST 2006: New student retreat from all schools--August 18th, 19th
2) Orientation, Registration, "Rush Week"--August 21-25th
3) White Coat Ceremony(so excited for this!)--August 21st
4) Classes Begin--August 28th

Hey fotolith, if we're interested in living at one of the fraternities next year, do we have to work that out before rush week?

Are you talking about August orientation? Yeah, probably. The frats are a great deal, and like I said, pretty much a "family" environment (complete with shot parties, shaggadelic parties, and "house meetings") *after* first year tests.

But don't think that's where UTMB gets its "party med school" nickname from (well, not all of the reputation). Frats here are not gonna be like the frats you know from undergrad - these are more like "co-ops" (ie, you get rent and food, but sometimes you're asked to pitch in with cleaning, volunteering at st. vincent's, help throw the house parties, etc), & each has its own style. Phi Chi is the only place where you can get your own bathroom (the rest split a bathroom between 2 rooms), but each of the other frats has their own "charms."

* If you like weekly "house meetings" involving house business and kegs, TKY is the place for you. It sounds like Justin's pimping... err... promoting the "elite" (nice one) TKY house, so PM him for more info. Or if Justin freaks you out, you can search SDN for "ScubaSteve," who I know is lurking, and he'll hook you up.
* Contact that email I mentioned earlier ([email protected]) if you want more info on Phi Chi.
* Here's an outdated website for AKK: http://alpha_kappa_kappa.tripod.com/ So far they've been the most "quiet" (broken the least number of laws?) of the all guy frats. Search SDN for "drfunktacular" if you want the inside scoop on that place.
* Phi Rho - I've never seen it (except from the outside) and know nothing about the place. It also fills the fastest because it's supposedly the "nicest" of the frats.
* If you like riding around in buses that depict explicit hand gestures, you'll enjoy the Beta House (okay, they do that one night a year). Perhaps you could search SDN for "OzManTx" and ask him about it (he's lived there since last summer), since I'm not certain who is comfortable with me posting their contact info right now.

Pre-emptive sorry to everyone I just outted from the different houses! ;)

Yorkie06 said:
i was just wondering about pbl. Do you like it and is it hard? Thanks!

PBL can be pretty neat - I've always like "mysteries," and so for me PBL has been sort of a "choose your own adventure" and you can have fun in there if everyone's open to it.

For the most part, I like it and have retained a LOT from our pbl sessions, but a lot depends on your group mates/ facilitators. My first pbl was kind of annoying, because we had a few repeating students who seemed to almost take over the whole discussion at the beginning - but then our facilitator worked with us to make things more even. :thumbup:

Then justin334 and I cut up maybe a little too much over "priaprism" in our MCT pbl, so we had to be reeled in. :oops:

Right now my pbl is balanced as far as students, but our facilitator *refuses* to let us out even 5 minutes early. Many times you won't use the whole 2 hours and can grab breakfast before lecture... but we're held captive in there! :mad: Oh sorry... that was more rant than you wanted.. ;)

But no, pbl isn't hard, per se. The few week or so is disorientating, because you have NO clue what's going on and it, then you start picking things up along the way. Ultrasounds will still be impossible to interpret (we even drew the sign of Batman into one of them to prove you could see anything you wanted), but you'll soon start feeling comfortable with not knowing everything.

Just remember: every case has cancer in GAR and MCT, and every "patient" has meningitis in PHD. ;) Funny enough, that strategy works all too often in PBL.

Another note: your PBL grades can be as much as 10% of your total grade (and at least one course has required that you honor that if you want to have a shot at honoring the whole course). Often 1/2 of that is from your facilitator's evaluation of you, so show up on time & make some attempt to do your "learning issue" (it's our homework). It sucks, but the second 1/2 of your medical education will be mainly subjective, so you gotta get used to being evaluated by your faculty.

Oh, but before you feel all warm and fuzzy about PBL, also remember that the PBL "quizzes" are EVIL - don't let them get to you, because they're nothing like the real tests and are only created to mess with your mind!! I've never seen a group more dangerous than when a whole class is fighting with the professor over a question that means *nothing* to our overall score. It sucks, but that's life (and you get your profs to say silly things like "Do you believe everything you read?" :laugh: ).

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here before but have been a reader for a few weeks. I matched at UTMB and am very excited to meet ya'll once I get there. I am currently living in Innsbruck, Austria and will have to search for an apartment from over here, so when it gets to be closer, if any of you go to G-town to look at apartments, please post your impressions so I can have a better idea! Sometimes internet pics from the apartment sites aren't so truthful.....I'm from Houston and went to UT Austin and am sorry I won't be able to attend any get-togethers in either city, but am looking forward to meeting people in the fall! How hot is it there right now.....?? I'm freezing my butt off here!

Ich gratuliere euch!

Liebe Grüße aus Tirol!
annamoo

1. TKY does have individual bathrooms. It's not the nicest house but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. Having upperclassmen around every day to answer questions and ease fears is priceless. And our chef is the best. Fajita Wednesday is amazing.
2. TKY house meetings are not weekly(more like monthly or every other month) but they are a hell of a lot of fun. When else do you get to dress up as your favorite upperclassman, a gangster, a ninja, or a woman(you know you've always wanted to)?
3. The weather in the winter is perfect. I haven't used my heater since Christmas. The summers are a bit hot though.

jan. 31st was the most nerve-wrecking day of my life!!!!! and then it showed no match and 12:01 and popped up at 12:03, i thought i was going to have a hearattack. i am still in awe about matching with UTMB. it has really made all the sacrifices worth it. so who here is moving up to galveston in the summer? i don't wanna be the only one there!! any myspacers or facebookers? anyhow, 4 of us got in from A & M-Corpus Christi. i think it's funny that we went to the "island university" and now we going to an island med school. well congratulations to everyone. i'm looking forward to meeting new ppl again. anyhow, if anyone would like to contant me, send me a PM. take care. :D

Hey Justin 334, do first years live in the house or is that more of an upperclassmen thing? Also what is the rush/selection process like?

Thanks PoetMD

The TKY house has a good mix of all years and even a few residents. First years are more than welcome. The rush process pretty much consists of you choosing which fraternity you would like to be a part of. If you are considering living in one of the houses, I would suggest you come down and look at them and meet the members and decide what and who you are comfortable with. For some fraternities you will be required to get naked in front of the entire class as an initiation. TKY has a slightly less homoerotic initiation at the end of your first year. Just meet the members of each fraternity (we'll all have parties during orientation) and decide who you feel comfortable with and go with that.

justin334 said:
TKY has a slightly less homoerotic initiation at the end of your first year. Just meet the members of each fraternity (we'll all have parties during orientation) and decide who you feel comfortable with and go with that.

Only slightly less... :laugh:
Sorry for knowing next to nothing about your house, dude (I guess all the "secrecy" stuff that AQP, etc hint about pays off ;) ) - thanks for setting everyone straight.

But yeah, most of the houses seem to have a mix of all years, and even all the schools (grad program, allied health, etc). I agree with Justin - you get word of mouth, visit the frats, hear some stories about naked guys jumping into pools :eek: , and pick where you fit best. Some people find that the frat life (even the academic frat life at UTMB) is not for them, but most people still come out for the parties. :) And did I mention it's CHEAP!!??

Oh yeah, and I agree... the weather right now is GORGEOUS!! I've been forgoing my bike and taking a stroll to class every morning this week.

Speaking of bikes - get your self a U-Lock with a *key* (not the kind that can be opened with a bic pen) and register your bike http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/ and with the campus police. Galveston's generally safe, as long as you make good decisions, but I know a number of people who have had their bike stolen (mostly from their own property) - one guy got to "steal" his bike back, when the thief left it outside whataburger, but you might not be so lucky unless you secure your bike. This is just a PSA, cuz like I said, Galveston's a fairly safe place to live.

DentalGal said:
Anyone? Anyone? (Ferris Bueller style)

I just received mine this afternoon. :thumbup:

Man In White said:
I just received mine this afternoon. :thumbup:

Where do you live? - I live in the DFW area, so I figured it might take an extra day or two.

Hello everybody! I got accepted to UTMB last year, but deferred my admission to teach English in Japan. I'll be coming back to the states in August. In the meantime, I'll be checking this thread and preparing myself for medical school.

I can't wait to start UTMB this fall and meet you guys! Congratulations everyone! :laugh:

My parents haven't seen the letter from UTMB in the mail yet, and they live in Houston. Maybe they're coming slowly? For the current students, how long did it take after the match to get the letter?

I am sort of left hanging over here in Austria waiting.....hope something comes..has anyone gotten the letter yet??

anna

My parents haven't seen the letter from UTMB in the mail yet, and they live in Houston. Maybe they're coming slowly? For the current students, how long did it take after the match to get the letter?

I am sort of left hanging over here in Austria waiting.....hope something comes..has anyone gotten the letter yet??

anna

anna

anna

annamoo said:

anna
Nothing like a quadruple post. :D :D

FYI, i haven't seen anything in the mail yet and i live in houston....however, it doesnt help that i forgot my mailkey at work yesterday.

I got my acceptance letter just now when I checked my snail mail this afternoon. Yay!

DentalGal said:
I got my acceptance letter just now when I checked my snail mail this afternoon. Yay!

What a relief, DentalGal! I hope to get mine soon, I think we all feel sort of like the match isn't tangible till you have that little piece of paper....makes all the difference!! have any Houstonians gotten theirs yet??

Sorry about the quadruple post, I didn't realize I was doing that, my internet here wouldn't load the next page so I kept refreshing....sorry :laugh:

BaylorGuy, I have been reading some of your posts and you said you work at UTMB, and live...in Galveston or in Houston? I'm from Houston but am excited to move to Galveston, although after 2 years of living in the Alps it will be FLAT but that's ok...but is there actually anything to DO there? Do you think it's charming and relaxed, or boring and boring-er? I have always been fond of Galveston but I've never actually lived there....

I got mine today (Dallas). Does anyone know if and when UTMB has a second look weekend and what it would entail?

annamoo said:
BaylorGuy, I have been reading some of your posts and you said you work at UTMB, and live...in Galveston or in Houston? I'm from Houston but am excited to move to Galveston, although after 2 years of living in the Alps it will be FLAT but that's ok...but is there actually anything to DO there? Do you think it's charming and relaxed, or boring and boring-er? I have always been fond of Galveston but I've never actually lived there....

Hmmmm, where to start....i live in Houston (southeast, near friendswood), so i actually commute about 45-60minutes each day (each way). The driving sucks, which is why i recommend, and will most probably soon, move onto the island. There is stuff to do down there, restaurants, bars, movie theater, etc. However, if you are looking for anything specific, your closest bet is going to be Texas City (about 10 miles away from the island)....if you can't find it there, then its going to be Clear Lake (about 30 miles away)

Its not necessarily charming (as compared to the Alps), but you can definitely find things to do to keep you busy.

DentalGal said:
Where do you live? - I live in the DFW area, so I figured it might take an extra day or two.

I live in Houston.

FYI, i received my UTMB packet in the mail today....its awesome, like me :D

Just for info, did everyone rank UTMB #1?? Anybody waiting to see if they are on any waitlists for other Texas schools???

Hey fotolith

I know you!! And you know me!! (look at my username) your parents hooked my parents up like 35 years ago...meaning your dad is responsible for the happy times that created yours truly....pm me, We went to middle school, high school, college, and Glassell photo school together.....ringing a bell yet??

my mom ran into your dad the other day and told him where I matched and he told her where you went...freaky but fun

haven't seen you in like 2 years!

(Maybe bc I've been living in Europe for 1.5 years and am never in the US for long....)

Anyway I am still not sure about where to live or when we have to decide by if there is a time when all the good housing is gone (UT Austin alumni: think back to the good old days of housing scramble in Austin...)

is there a mad rush or is it ok to wait?

Hey I got my UMTB packet in the mail yesterday! I'm so excited.