UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daysleeprx said:
Haha yeah that guy in the waitlist thread was annoying. :laugh: I don't think I'm a dorm person either...I already did my time in undergrad. :D

hehe, me too! I was lucky, my roommates always lived with their boyfriends, so I barely saw them...but then they got dumped, and I had to start to get to know them.

...man, summer never came fast enough after that. :laugh:

I hear the UTMB dorms are pretty much like the undergrad dorm system.

I would not mind an apartment roommate, and probably not frat neighbors, so I'll keep my eye open for ideas when I get to Galveston.

Haha, funny thing about that guy on the waitlist thread... I was griping about him to someone I met at cycling club I joined to help me start training for a charity bike ride (fine, I'm a dork on all fronts ;) ), and mentioned how this person wants to go to a certain Cali school. The guy I talked to was aghast, cuz he's from Cali and evidently that school's got the worst reputation thanks to a bunch of scandals. Heh, sounds like a match made in heaven. :smuggrin:

Well, all this gossiping is prolly pushing me from the 8th to 9th circle of hell, so I guess I'll cool off. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed about the chips not falling exactly as you planned, but I think there's something *pathological* about carrying your resentment to extremes AND dissing the quality of education you'll get based on some grossly unfounded prejudices.

But hey, one of my favorite physician-mentors pointed out to me that "you've always got to be careful who you tick off in medicine, cuz doctors are some of the most egotistical/ insecure people around" (no one on THIS thread!)...I guess those people gotta come from somewhere. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Who's the annoying guy on the waitlist thread and why are people mentioning him?

3rd page! Unacceptable!!

I'm definitely done with sharing a bedroom with someone. I need my own space and preferably my own bathroom. All the dorm rooms and apartments that UTMB offer are for 2 people per room.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaleidoscope83 said:
Who's the annoying guy on the waitlist thread and why are people mentioning him?

Whoops, forgot his or her name.. I guess he's just become an icon. ;)

Well, from my interpretation, there was someone on the waitlist who griped about how UTMB was his 4th choice, which he/she was enraged about since he/she had such good numbers (and didn't even get waitlisted at UTH), and then proceeded to lambast UTMB (and UTHSCSA!) by saying he/she was not going to get as good an education/ opportunity to advance there & was waiting on USC's acceptance.

But then someone pointed out that UTMB has better funding than even UTSW (I haven't checked, but it sounds familiar), higher board scores than UTH (this is true), better curriculum (fine, my personal opinion, since I'd rather only take ONE test at a time and have everything CONNECTED), etc...and he shut up. Actually, he shut up pretty well, considering I kinda goaded him to drop his acceptance in favor of someone who WANTS to go to UTMB, so I guess I can give him that credit. :laugh:

I'll just make wild accusations that this person is very insecure. Sounds good to me (yeah, I'm a bad person, sorry). That's why we are having find at this whiner's expense.

And don't worry, it's not you. ;)

GutsyGal said:
3rd page! Unacceptable!!

I'm definitely done with sharing a bedroom with someone. I need my own space and preferably my own bathroom. All the dorm rooms and apartments that UTMB offer are for 2 people per room.

Yeah, I thought someone told me you could get a private room at the univerisity dorms but I haven't seem that listing yet. I'll prolly check out the frats/ then 1 bedrooms/ then see if anyone's looking for a roommate.

A friend told me that his nurse sister in law is looking for someone to live in her house with her for practically free, but it's on the west end of town (and I'm not a morning person - I want some place I can wake up 15 mins before class and still make it). Ah well.

Yeah UTMB jumped UTSW because of the Biodefense grant they got. Keeler hall (however you spell it) just got a brand new BSL4 and is gonna be equiped with all kinds of nasties. If you didn't know UTMB is well known for immunology and ID, I guess its because of all the germs floating around on the island. :eek: This summer, a guy went into the ER at UTMB because he got that flesh eating bacteria from the water... Makes you think, maybe that USC guy was right.

OzManTx said:
Yeah UTMB jumped UTSW because of the Biodefense grant they got. Keeler hall (however you spell it) just got a brand new BSL4 and is gonna be equiped with all kinds of nasties. If you didn't know UTMB is well known for immunology and ID, I guess its because of all the germs floating around on the island. :eek: This summer, a guy went into the ER at UTMB because he got that flesh eating bacteria from the water... Makes you think, maybe that USC guy was right.

Haha, yeah, on my way to Galveston last week one of my friends told me a story about how she went kayaking with her friend last year... and her friend ended up with a rash all over his body from the Galveston water. I was like "why don't you tell me this story when we're LEAVING the island, not arriving?!" :)

Ah, we're gonna learn so much about ID during our time in Galveston. I can't wait! :smuggrin:

fotolilith said:
Whoops, forgot his or her name.. I guess he's just become an icon. ;)

Well, from my interpretation, there was someone on the waitlist who griped about how UTMB was his 4th choice, which he/she was enraged about since he/she had such good numbers (and didn't even get waitlisted at UTH), and then proceeded to lambast UTMB (and UTHSCSA!) by saying he/she was not going to get as good an education/ opportunity to advance there & was waiting on USC's acceptance.

But then someone pointed out that UTMB has better funding than even UTSW (I haven't checked, but it sounds familiar), higher board scores than UTH (this is true), better curriculum (fine, my personal opinion, since I'd rather only take ONE test at a time and have everything CONNECTED), etc...and he shut up. Actually, he shut up pretty well, considering I kinda goaded him to drop his acceptance in favor of someone who WANTS to go to UTMB, so I guess I can give him that credit. :laugh:

I'll just make wild accusations that this person is very insecure. Sounds good to me (yeah, I'm a bad person, sorry). That's why we are having find at this whiner's expense.

And don't worry, it's not you. ;)

It'll be funny if he actually does end up coming to UTMB w/ us...I bet he never says a word about SDN. :D

even when i don't post much. and the topic is about nothin of consequence i love it when this thread is moving. it's really exciting for some reason!

arierty said:
even when i don't post much. and the topic is about nothin of consequence i love it when this thread is moving. it's really exciting for some reason!

:laugh:

.....oh, did I add to your joy just now? I bet I did. :)

starbucks just opened on campus yesterday. the only problem is that it closes at 8 pm. u'd figger that it'd be open till at least 11 pm for people to sit around and talk about the newest research into cell membranes and ion transport cuz that's all we do here.

kaleidoscope83 said:
:laugh:

.....oh, did I add to your joy just now? I bet I did. :)

Happy, happy, joy, joy, happy, happy, joy joy.

See, we don't need sequitor to have fun.

daysleeprx said:
It'll be funny if he actually does end up coming to UTMB w/ us...I bet he never says a word about SDN. :D

..or he will plot our demise. But then again, it's med school...so it's not like "demise plotting" is anything new.

However, that's one of the things that I like about UTMB (maybe TX schools in general?), that the students tend to realize that everyone is in the mire together and there's very little point in destroying your classmates. :thumbup:

fotolilith said:
everyone is in the mire together and there's very little point in destroying your classmates. :thumbup:

Yeah we're all going down with ship, and whats the point we're all going to get flesh eating bacteria. If that doesn't get us a shark attack will. Solution: Lets get really drunk.

Members don't see this ad :)
OzManTx said:
Yeah we're all going down with ship, and whats the point we're all going to get flesh eating bacteria. If that doesn't get us a shark attack will. Solution: Lets get really drunk.

The future seems so bleak all of a sudden....

OzManTx said:

That just makes me feel all warm and cozy inside! Can't WAIT to move to Galveston... :)

LostDoktor said:
The future seems so bleak all of a sudden....

You mean bleary, cuz that's what the ETOH will be doing to your vision. :cool:

Before this turns into an anxiety-provoking issue for some people (which can happen), let’s look at the facts about the flesh-eating bacteria. The CDC estimates that there are 500 to 1500 cases per year. http://www.nnff.org/nnff_factsheet.htm. Therefore, we’re exponentially more like to get into a serious car accident in the Texas Medical Center of Houston than we are of getting the flesh-eating bacteria. http://www.mindspring.com/~tbgray/drivers.htm . If you want to appease your OCD, then just try to avoid swimming in the Gulf when your immune system is compromised and you have open sores.

Hehe, Oz, you're quite a specimen of shadenfruede, aren't you? :)

just adding more excitment into this thread and, indeed, into your oh-so-mundane lives.... :p bump

so...when are we gonna get that report and pics on the housing situation in Galveston? (hint, hint) j/k...I know Ben's busy studying his bugs...or was it chickens? :D

I was just thinkin' did alot of you folks know eachother before matching to UTMB? Or is this site your main contact. Obviously, I am a whole world away (at least 1000+ miles) and was a little curious about everyone else. Are there any other foreigners besides me? I am not to sure if any of this matters just was thinkin' :idea: something I tend to do every now and then - probablly less than I used to tho'...
I have another question the little smiley guys I feel like using at certain times, but I am dissuaded by the name given to them. Like this :rolleyes: rolleyes?! I think this is more of a pondering look not an obnoxious rolling your eyes thing. Okay that's enough ranting for today, just wanted to say good morning!

if ya'll are looking for cheap entertainment values, there's a greyhound track about 15 minutes north of the island. there's nothing better than kicking back with a cold one and betting on dogs that race senselessly after a fake rabbit!

I am not sure if nothing better is the right way to describe that... :laugh:

fotolilith said:
Hehe, Oz, you're quite a specimen of shadenfruede, aren't you? :)

Hey, be nice! I hate to say that NF website was cool, because people's misfortunes aren't cool, but it was a very interesting website. Really scares the crap outta me though.

arierty said:
I was just thinkin' did alot of you folks know eachother before matching to UTMB? Or is this site your main contact. Obviously, I am a whole world away (at least 1000+ miles) and was a little curious about everyone else. Are there any other foreigners besides me? I am not to sure if any of this matters just was thinkin' :idea: something I tend to do every now and then - probablly less than I used to tho'...

I don't know anyone on this site....well, not that I know of....do any of you go to UT Austin? I've only heard of a handful of people from my school matching to UTMB...Most of my friends matched at SW, UT Houston, or UTSA.

Hey, does anybody know if there is a class list for UTMB?

kaleidoscope83 said:
I don't know anyone on this site....well, not that I know of....do any of you go to UT Austin? I've only heard of a handful of people from my school matching to UTMB...Most of my friends matched at SW, UT Houston, or UTSA.

I go to UT. I know a friend who was a classmate of mine going (UTKB on here), another friend I met in my MCAT prep class, and another girl who was in my physics classes. They're all from UT as well.

arierty said:
I have another question the little smiley guys I feel like using at certain times, but I am dissuaded by the name given to them. Like this :rolleyes: rolleyes?! I think this is more of a pondering look not an obnoxious rolling your eyes thing. Okay that's enough ranting for today, just wanted to say good morning!

Actually, I have yet to hear of someone I know closely/ personally who was accepted to UTMB this year - I'm actually trying to find a listing new students (like UTHSCSA and UTH have), to see if I know anyone.

I am sort of ambivalent about this - it's scary/ exciting to make new friends, but I'm happy/ sad that I don't know anyone very well in the entering class. Specifically, no matter how much current medical students tried to assure me, I found it hard to believe that the psycho premeds I knew at UT Austin are any different in medical school. ;)

Therefore, I had some trepidation about attending school with a lot of students (save a handful) that I knew previously (Fine, I was one of those people that wanted to strangle someone who identified themselves as a "premed" major, when there was no such major!!!).

But when I talked to med students at my interviews they said that the majority of psycho competitiveness gets weeded out through acceptances (especially at UTMB), so we'll see if there's any validity to this statement...and if I know anyone at UTMB. :D

Barca said:
if ya'll are looking for cheap entertainment values, there's a greyhound track about 15 minutes north of the island. there's nothing better than kicking back with a cold one and betting on dogs that race senselessly after a fake rabbit!

Hmm, such a metaphor for life. :p

OzManTx said:
Hey, be nice! I hate to say that NF website was cool, because people's misfortunes aren't cool, but it was a very interesting website. Really scares the crap outta me though.

No worries, from me, that's a compliment. :cool:

kaleidoscope83 said:

Are you on facebook or from Houston? It would be funny if we knew each other.

I goto OU so everyone here is going to OU Med or UTSW.

OzManTx said:
I goto OU so everyone here is going to OU Med or UTSW.

Good luck driving through Austin. ;)

fotolilith said:
Good luck driving through Austin. ;)

Actually 35 south to Dallas, then 45 till it deadends in Galveston. If I did have to drive through Austin I probably would stay for a week or 2.

OzManTx said:
Actually 35 south to Dallas, then 45 till it deadends in Galveston. If I did have to drive through Austin I probably would stay for a week or 2.

Damnit, Oz, if you never fall for my UT/OU ribbing, how on earth am I going to entertain myself? Fine, fine, it only really matters one day a year (and a certain humiliating week afterwards :rolleyes: ).

But while you're camping out in Austin, could you grabs some bats for the trip to Galveston? I'd love to introduce them to the local bugs. ;)

GutsyGal said:
My friend showed me this: 12 Types of Med Students

Which type are you?

I believe that I might be the questionable admission. :p

I am between the Prankster and the 12 year old! Alright! Giggity Giggity Giggity!
:p

Oh dear... I was reading and laughing. After the first few I hoped I wouldn't find myself on here but low and behold I found a pretty good guess of who I am, the boring "one track minded." Fortunately the track changes every now and then, but its definitely only one at a time. :oops:

GutsyGal said:
My friend showed me this: 12 Types of Med Students

Which type are you?

I believe that I might be the questionable admission. :p

We all have a bit of questionable in us from time to time... in the last 5 minute of self-assessment (read: insomnia), I've discovered I am:
* Painfully enthusiastic - (Yeah! I'm going to kill my already riddled knees by biking 120 miles for AIDS! :) )
* Prankster - (As evident from the fact that I almost took out the eye of an MD/PhD when I handed him a dry ice bomb one day... :smuggrin: )
* Perpetually enraged - (^*^&^! Why are those cats screaming outside my window at 1am when I’m trying to read First Aid!?)
* Sensitive Soul - Did I mention that I'm riding 120 miles for charity?

arierty: I wish I could be one track, but my mind is already divided into about 5 right now. My mom called tonight and said a research nurse told her that more women are needed in urology...so now I'm contemplating just how many fun euphemisms I could claim if that were my specialty. :D

fotolilith said:
arierty: I wish I could be one track, but my mind is already divided into about 5 right now. My mom called tonight and said a research nurse told her that more women are needed in urology...so now I'm contemplating just how many fun euphemisms I could claim if that were my specialty. :D

I hear urology is good if you like anatomy. that's about all i know about it. I think i am pretty clueless about most specialties. Ob/Gyn look inside a lower orifice all day. ENT have five orifices to choose from!! G.P. must face the dreaded prostate checks.... maybe I'll stick with pathology.

Just kidding, actually for some reason I am pretty drawn to ENT despite looking at snot and ear wax most of the day it is quite interesting :love:

I am pretty interested in urology too. I randomly followed a uro and it was one of the most interesting and fun times I have had following a doc. Personallity wise, they all seem to be really fun people and can come up with funny "euphimisms" for everything. Sounds right up your alley foto.

Hey, just wanted to remind everyone to get their transcripts in by the 11th...

LostDoktor said:
Hey, just wanted to remind everyone to get their transcripts in by the 11th...

Oh crap, thanks for the reminder. I almost completely forgot about that.

fotolilith said:
Are you on facebook or from Houston? It would be funny if we knew each other.

I am not from Houston....but I am on facebook! Who isn't?

http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7917044

By the way, only those that are on facebook should be able to view this link....if you're not on it yet, what's wrong with you?! Join it now, all the cool kids are doing it. :D

And...now it's kind of creepy for me since you guys know who I am...but I don't know who any of you are. If you know me, let me know. I'd like to find out if there is anyone I know going to UTMB.

kaleidoscope83 said:

By the way, only those that are on facebook should be able to view this link....if you're not on it yet, what's wrong with you?! Join it now, all the cool kids are doing it. :D

And...now it's kind of creepy for me since you guys know who I am...but I don't know who any of you are. If you know me, let me know. I'd like to find out if there is anyone I know going to UTMB.

Once again...post the link they give you for AIM instead of just cutting and pasting from the address bar. :p Just wondering, I'm not the only one that it doesn't work for right?

Hope you guys had a great Friday night! :)

kaleidoscope83 said:

Small freaking world!!

I was a SHPA for 3 years! Yeah condom key chains!:):)

And we have some mutual friends. Let the stalking commence. I love facebook! :laugh:

GutsyGal said:
Once again...post the link they give you for AIM instead of just cutting and pasting from the address bar. :p Just wondering, I'm not the only one that it doesn't work for right?

Good times... hung out with other SDNers tonight (yeah, so cool). :cool:

I think that facebook link works if you are from UT Austin, but outside the home University you need the AIM URL.

arierty said:
I hear urology is good if you like anatomy. that's about all i know about it. I think i am pretty clueless about most specialties. Ob/Gyn look inside a lower orifice all day. ENT have five orifices to choose from!! G.P. must face the dreaded prostate checks.... maybe I'll stick with pathology.

Just kidding, actually for some reason I am pretty drawn to ENT despite looking at snot and ear wax most of the day it is quite interesting :love:

Yeah, you know it's cuz you get the best access to the legal cocaine as an ENT. ;)

GutsyGal said:

oops, I didn't know how to do it the other day and was too lazy to try to figure it out.....but now I know, so here it is:

<a href="http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7917044&l=d787a32c5d">Facebook me!</a>

Fotolilith: You were an SHPA?! Oh man, that is the probably the best program that I participated in at UT. I just finished last semester...now I'm going through condom lecture withdrawal...how did you get past the sexual health void when you were done?!

kaleidoscope83 said:
oops, I didn't know how to do it the other day and was too lazy to try to figure it out.....but now I know, so here it is:

<a href="http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7917044&l=d787a32c5d">Facebook me!</a>

Fotolilith: You were an SHPA?! Oh man, that is the probably the best program that I participated in at UT. I just finished last semester...now I'm going through condom lecture withdrawal...how did you get past the sexual health void when you were done?!

That was the best program ever! So many students came to college with different views, and it was cool to be able to give them the straight dope on how to make healthy decisions in life.

I couldn't get over the withdrawal, so I kept bugging Shannon for a few more semesters to teach the classes and staff the National Condom Week Booths. :) In fact, she and I are both riding the Hill Country Ride for AIDS this year, Hill Country Ride so I'll ask her about which SHPA group has been the best so far. ;)

Additionally, I'm thinking of getting a MPH, in addition to the MD, after being a peer advisor at UT.

Ah, I still feel like giving out condom key chains from time to time. *memories, sniff* :p

Hope everyone had a pleasant weekend.

Man, I had my first UTMB-nightmare... I dreamt that I slept through the firstw eek of classes. It's been haunting me all day! :scared:

fotolilith said:
I dreamt that I slept through the firstw eek of classes. It's been haunting me all day! :scared:

I had a nightmare I went to business school, it was horrible. I couldn't imagine an education that doesn't involve memorizing innumerable pathways. Blah!

Status
Not open for further replies.