UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think its "bo staff"....lol

loved that movie.

mike

Members don't see this ad.

you'll learn to do some sweet jumps on a bike in med school

So are y'all going to UTMB because you think you're fat?

Members don't see this ad :)
sben said:
So are y'all going to UTMB because you think you're fat?

For anyone who hasn't seen Napoleon Dynamite, but wants to keep up with these shenanigans, here's a quotations page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374900/quotes

And yes, shock827, you have the proof in your hands: the movie's so hot that the disc melted - you should definitely get a replacement. :)

And as for more serious stuff...

Books and Junk...

I know y'all want to keep your lockers cleared so that you can fit your numchucks in there (ND reference # 567,400), but you should check out last year's thread/ the Allo forum/ Amazon.com/ half.com/ barnesandnobles.com/ half price books... for some good reference review books to pick up along the way (but for my sanity, I'm gonna let the books chill until school starts... we've got 2.5 yrs until Step 1, GOSH! - ND reference # 567,401).

UTMB also has a student book sale at the beginning of the year, so if you want to avoid paying $50 per reference/ prep book (things like anatomy atlases, board review series, etc), you could make a list of the texts that current students suggest and start glancing around for them.

I only mention this cuz I don't have the time to sell tupperware or boob jobs (ND ref # 567, 402), so that's what current MSes recommend for po' people like me. :)

PS - "Starla's" a MAN, wasn't "she?" Awesome! I can't wait until we have those sweet skills to make a creation like "Starla!" (ND ref # 567, 403)

:laugh:

fotolilith said:
For anyone who hasn't seen Napoleon Dynamite, but wants to keep up with these shenanigans, here's a quotations page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374900/quotes

And yes, shock827, you have the proof in your hands: the movie's so hot that the disc melted - you should definitely get a replacement. :)

And as for more serious stuff...

Books and Junk...

I know y'all want to keep your lockers cleared so that you can fit your numchucks in there (ND reference # 567,400), but you should check out last year's thread/ the Allo forum/ Amazon.com/ half.com/ barnesandnobles.com/ half price books... for some good reference review books to pick up along the way (but for my sanity, I'm gonna let the books chill until school starts... we've got 2.5 yrs until Step 1, GOSH! - ND reference # 567,401).

UTMB also has a student book sale at the beginning of the year, so if you want to avoid paying $50 per reference/ prep book (things like anatomy atlases, board review series, etc), you could make a list of the texts that current students suggest and start glancing around for them.

I only mention this cuz I don't have the time to sell tupperware or boob jobs (ND ref # 567, 402), so that's what current MSes recommend for po' people like me. :)

PS - "Starla's" a MAN, wasn't "she?" Awesome! I can't wait until we have those sweet skills to make a creation like "Starla!" (ND ref # 567, 403)

:laugh:

I don't know if it applies to medical texts, but for my college textbooks I always order them from amazon.co.uk...for some reason if you buy books from outside the country, they are almost always cheaper, (about 50% less) even with the international shipping. They're the exact same as the ones sold here, but sometimes they're paperback editions instead.

Oh and Starla isnt a man...she's actually a bodybuilder in real life. :)

daysleeprx said:
I don't know if it applies to medical texts, but for my college textbooks I always order them from amazon.co.uk...for some reason if you buy books from outside the country, they are almost always cheaper, (about 50% less) even with the international shipping. They're the exact same as the ones sold here, but sometimes they're paperback editions instead.

Oh and Starla isnt a man...she's actually a bodybuilder in real life. :)

I knew people who did that in college & said the same thing about the cheaper prices (damn US monopolies!). I always saved at least 50% on half.com, so never resorted to imports. However, it looks that the "official" med texts are still expensive at 1/2 price. ;-P

I've heard that you don't want to get the medical course texts until you talk to current students, cuz a lot of them you don't even read. But there are a LOT of review books that seem to be very good for fleshing out topics and keeping things fresh for the step 1, and I'm keeping my eyes open for that.

Are you sure?! That is scary! I swear my friends and I played the scene with her in SLOW MOTION and spied an adams apple. *shudder*

don't stress about getting books right now: you've still gotta make it till graduation without getting a D or getting a felony. there's tons of books to look for, and there's some books that i wished i could've saved money on like my biochem and histology texts.

as for financial aid, the school has lots of scholarships that they give out in a manner that i am not too familiar with. usually, they'll tell you to fill out the FAFSA with your parents' financial info to qualify for scholarships but my roommate got one without doing so. i'm doing straight loans direct from the bank of Uncle Sam. as for grants, i'm checking into that now.

Not trying to be funny, but what happens if you do get a felony? I'm not talking killing someone or grandtheft auto, but something small?

OzManTx said:
Not trying to be funny, but what happens if you do get a felony? I'm not talking killing someone or grandtheft auto, but something small?

I realize this question may implicate myself, but I am a perfect law abiding citizen with a clean record and hopefully will keep it that way. I was just curious because I have heard of people wrongfully getting "smaller" felony's and it really screwing their application or acceptance up.

OzManTx said:
I realize this question may implicate myself, but I am a perfect law abiding citizen with a clean record and hopefully will keep it that way. I was just curious because I have heard of people wrongfully getting "smaller" felony's and it really screwing their application or acceptance up.

It's funny that, after everything that's been said on this thread thus far, *NOW* is the time you're worried about implicating yourself, Oz. :laugh:

I've never heard of such an unfortunate thing happening, but I would not be surprised if getting even a "smaller" felony could affect your matriculation status (and thinking of all the weird laws we have in TX.. hmm).

Considering that med schools have a LOT invested in us (I've heard it averages 100-300k to educate each one of us, and it goes up in residency), they probably don't want to take any chances.

But since you've managed to get accepted to medical school, you've probably figured out how to hide the bodies pretty well too. :laugh:

psst... :scared: why is it so quiet around here?

GutsyGal said:
psst... :scared: why is it so quiet around here?

Sorry...I'm training to be a cage fighter.

So, I had a great talk with a c/o 2009 student that matched at UTHSCSA:

Me: So when is your white coat ceremony?
*UTHSCSA student: Ours is the end of July.
Me: Really? UTMB's is the end of August. A month later.
*seething UTHSCSA student: What?! Well fine, but I'm sure we get out of classes earlier.
Me: Really? Because we get out in April.
*irate disillusioned UTHSCSA student: I HATE YOU!

I'm already starting to network - the cornerstone of healthcare job searching. :)

That's why UTMB rocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
utmb rocks, but we unfortunately don't get a spring break. our next break is president's day. but we do get eight weeks off starting at the end of april which means that we go back to school at the end of june. :( but, two months away from the island will make me nostalgic for g-town :)

any of yall have plans to do the summer prematriculation program?

mike

Doc Tom said:

mike

I'm thinking about it because I don't want to live with my parents, my last summer of being free. Or I may try to get a job doing research in a lab, either way it looks like I will be in Galvy.

Doc Tom said:

mike

I'm considering it.....When does it start and how do you sign up for it? How long does it last?

For current UTMBers that participated in the summer prematriculation program, was it worth your while?

Hello everyone,

I also received an acceptance to UTMB. Anybody considering buying a house off the island? Maybe in the Clearlake area? If so, are there any new housing complexes being built that are not to far away from the school?

Also, are any of you considering any schools outside of Texas? Currently, I have an offer from UMDNJ in New Jersey and Wright State in Ohio. I'm waiting to hear back from Iowa Carver College of Medicine and Duke. I'd like to know what made UTMB everyones top choice.

kaleidoscope83 said:
I'm considering it.....When does it start and how do you sign up for it? How long does it last?

For current UTMBers that participated in the summer prematriculation program, was it worth your while?

Ditto! When are they gonna send us info about that?

Also, any more word on housing, especially from you UTMB students? Are there areas/complexes where students live? I heard about a place with good, affordable housing for students...some place with lots of streets with fish names? Ring a bell anyone?

I received a cryptic letter in the mail asking me if I was going to do the pre-matriculation program....but it didn't have any details about the program itself. Another weird thing about the letter........they sent it to my parents house instead of to me, odd since they sent my acceptance packet to me????? Any current students out there that could tell us about the program would be great!

I did not take prematric but it starts around the middle of May. I'm not sure how long it is either; maybe 6-8 weeks. Appearantly you actually learn most of what everyone will learn in anatomy; you will have lectures, PBL and even lab. You take quizzes and tests and get grades (although these do not count). This puts people at a significant advantage to start off with. Normal people don't know where to start with the cadaver or how to act in PBL but prematric people always seemed intimidating because they knew everything already. Last year, about 60 people participated. It seems to be a great way to meet people too; during orientation week there are people who know noone and then there are prematric people who seem to know everyone already. I haven't heard of anyone with regrets about it, although I can't imagine what it would have been like to give up my last real summer. Some people get invited, some don't. If you inquire and want to participate, they have to let you. I think it costs money though, maybe about $1500, plus you have to get your living arrangements set up pretty soon from now.
As for places to live, there are dorms that are only $240/month but you have a roommate. From what I have heard they are pretty similar to classic dorms at undergrad universities. The dorms are only about 5-6 blocks from where your classes will be and right next to the rec center. For apartments there are some clean-looking ones about 8 blocks from campus located on Ferry Rd. called [I think] Villa Marina. If you want farther West apartments, you have tons behind Walmart @ 69th street and then I also know of The Seasons at 81st street. These are all clean places where several current med students live. There are also some really nice condos at the north end of 4th street called Port Aux Princes and Marina Point. These sell for about 70-85k. These are adjacent to "Fish Village," which is the area with all of the fish streets. Fish village is houses though, so if you could find one to rent, you would probably need a roommate or two. I can really vouch for Fish Village because I am fortunate enough to live there- most of the houses are owned by residents with families. In fact, my roommate is moving out in two days and I need another...

As far as houses off the island there is a nice new neighborhood with some houses still under construction behind the mall of the mainland. It so happens that they are naming all of their streets after fish as well. This is about a 30-35 minute drive from campus. Three people from my church live there, but they aren't students. This may be a good compromise if you have a significant other who plans to work in Houston, but if not then I would strongly recommend staying as close to campus as possible. The commute will suck. Any area with houses close to campus or in fish village will be occupied predominantly by medical professionals and will be a tight-knit community.

http://www.charnagraberrealtors.com/rentals.php

I was just browsing the Galveston site for apartment locators... I hope the pictures at the site above don't resemble what most of the apartments are like there...maybe some gates or police cars patrolling the area..... Sorry guys, but all the stories are already making me a tiny paranoid..... :scared:

Ehh, OK I'm done whining.. :p

Gooood morning on this beautiful Sunday afternoon--guess it really should be good afternoon, huh? Can't believe the weekend's almost over...passed by WAY too quickly! Did everyone have a good weekend?

GutsyGal said:
Gooood morning on this beautiful Sunday afternoon--guess it really should be good afternoon, huh? Can't believe the weekend's almost over...passed by WAY too quickly! Did everyone have a good weekend?

Yeah, I went SALSA dancing! Cuz, of course, I'm gonna need those mad salsa skills for my clinical rotations.

Also took my mom out for brunch & ran into an old hs friend who is going to law school now - that's awesome, I need to make certain I have lots of lawyer friends by the time I start "practicing" medicine. ;-)

From what I understand, pre-matric invites are often sent to people who have been out of school for a while, are non-science majors, etc, but anyone can do the program if you ask. It goes May 31st to July 8th, so basically right when your finished with your degree/ job you will delve into another classroom.

It's an interesting opportunity, and I've heard good and bad things about "PREP." I don't think anyone who has had to pay money for it (as reported) will say they wasted their time, but from about 6 different MS2-MS4 students at UTMB, I hear that you don't *need* the program to succeed at UTMB. A lot of people took it thinking that they could get ahead of the other students, but most UTMB students I talked to say everyone catches up by the first month or so of classes anyways.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm working until May 31st and learn better in other ways (not by classroom osmosis), I would consider prematriculation. Then again, I won't rule it out, & maybe I could quit work early.

Much like most of medical school, some programs/ study habits work for some students and not for others. Thus, if you've found that these sort of classroom prep things work (like if you took an MCAT prep course and thought it worked for you, that might be a good analogy) you can always sign up and try it out.

As for housing, yeah... there are some definite ghetto areas of Galveston. But most people I talk to enjoy living there.

Here is another Galveston housing site, that has ratings by different rents as well as rental rates. http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Galveston.html

I also found the PHI CHI coed frat's website: http://www.phichizeta.com/home.htm

Good luck!

GutsyGal said:

I had a great weekend till I remembered I had a Histology test/practical tomorrow. Why am I taking histo my last semester? I wish I knew. Blah! :thumbdown:

OzManTx said:
I had a great weekend till I remembered I had a Histology test/practical tomorrow. Why am I taking histo my last semester? I wish I knew. Blah! :thumbdown:

I'll trade with you...you can take PChem 2 for me and I'll take histo for you.

daysleeprx said:
I'll trade with you...you can take PChem 2 for me and I'll take histo for you.

I'll see your challenge and raise you some carpal tunnel syndrome-inducing lab work that I'm doing tomorrow. :smuggrin:

LostDoktor said:
http://www.charnagraberrealtors.com/rentals.php

I was just browsing the Galveston site for apartment locators... I hope the pictures at the site above don't resemble what most of the apartments are like there...maybe some gates or police cars patrolling the area..... Sorry guys, but all the stories are already making me a tiny paranoid..... :scared:

Ehh, OK I'm done whining.. :p

I don't know of any med students living in those particular apartments. There are, in fact, nicer looking complexes than those pictured. Its funny though, of the four pictures on that site, I have a friend from church who lives in the complex at 4106 Ave. S. Basically other than some expensive lofts downtown around 23rd street, everything between that and 61st street looks pretty ghetto to me, no offense to anyone who happens to live in that area. There are certainly some classy patches of houses between there, particularly around 45th street, but those nice houses can run close to 400k. It would be nice if some current med students could maybe go around with a group of MS0s in May to give them a tour of the parts of town people actually go to and maybe give tipoffs on nice apartments or condos that someone we know is subleasing, etc.

fotolilith said:
Here is another Galveston housing site, that has ratings by different rents as well as rental rates. http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Galveston.html

Good luck!

I would not recommend #3, the Fort Crocket one. My current roommate lived there for 7 months and moved out when the ceiling fell in over his kitchen. He said they put the new roof on themselves and it leaked every time it rained and that he had warned them that there was a crack in the ceiling, but they did nothing about it. To their credit, they did clean up the drywall and insulation off his kitchen floor and counters after about 3 days, but the rafters were still exposed. They also finally gave him his deposit back even though he was forced to leave in the middle of the month. They tend to keep lots of trash outside of the dumpster on a regular basis, like matresses, regfrigerators, ceiling fans and lots of other crap. And then before he cancelled his phone service there after moving out, the maintenance guy appearantly racked up over $200 in 1-900 calls. But hey, its right next to Radio shack and right across from the beach! (hehe). In general, you will want to look at places in zip codes 77550 or 77551. Also, when looking at addresses, the general rule is divide the address by 100 to get the cross street (unless the numbered street is already specified). For example, 6315 Central City boulevard would be just past where 63rd street would be. This rule works especially for seawall, broadway, harborside, and any letter street (some of which have names too). Figure on campus being at about 10th street and you get about ten blocks per mile.

vr4nut said:
I would not recommend #3, the Fort Crocket one.

Man, thanks for the warning and advice, vr4nut!

For my first year of grad school I lived in the dorms. They are ugly, but cheap and close enough to the school and field house that parking becomes a non-issue. I had a private room as they were available and suggest them if you are looking into the dorms. You will still share a bathroom with another room and a common kitchen with the rest of the floor. But you will have your own fridge, two desks/bookshelves and if you move the other bed, plenty of room for a couch and coffee table if you have them. I remember that it wasnt much more for a private room and can check if anyone needs the info.

Now I live in a condo in fish village which is a short bike to the campus and the east end gocery store.

mike

Happy Valentine's DAY! :love:

Doc Tom said:
For my first year of grad school I lived in the dorms. They are ugly, but cheap and close enough to the school and field house that parking becomes a non-issue. I had a private room as they were available and suggest them if you are looking into the dorms. You will still share a bathroom with another room and a common kitchen with the rest of the floor. But you will have your own fridge, two desks/bookshelves and if you move the other bed, plenty of room for a couch and coffee table if you have them. I remember that it wasnt much more for a private room and can check if anyone needs the info.

Now I live in a condo in fish village which is a short bike to the campus and the east end gocery store.

mike

How was the privacy in the dorms? Were they coed?

Are you renting or do you own your condo?

And finally... when did you start looking at rental properties?
Thanks!

Well I don't know what you mean about privacy, unless you mean outside your room, then no there is none. The dorms are coed (separated by floor), but there is mixed company in the kitchen and common room. The dorms also have apartments (complete with kitchen and living room), but I have not looked into any of those.
I own my condo and bought it after my first year of grad school as my wife was completing her education in Corpus. There are three condo complexes on the east end and there are a few apartment complexes that have so many UTMB students that they might as well be dorms. The west end has much more in terms of choice, but the grad students who I went to school with that chose to live on the west end ended up regretting it. However, grad school and med school may be different as lab experiments often mean odd hours.

mike

Quick question for current students...and anyone else that may know...what does everyone do for computers? Do most students have labtops and bring them to class, or do most students leave their computers at home? I am currently trying to decide what kind of computer I want to get before school starts.

on a side note, does anyone know when we will get more stuff from UTMB??? :D

Okay, so yesterday I told my boss about my acceptance (he's been out of town), and instead of saying, "Congrats! Now scram!" he was like "Congrats! Now you're going to be slave labor the rest of the summer right? You don't need a vacation! MWHAHA!" Okay, well, some of that was my own interpretation, but he did say the part about not needing a vacation. :scared:

Anyways, pre-matriculation is looking more tempting, if only to be a nicer way of saying "sorry, I can't afford the medical bills I would accrue by working through August." (oh, yeah, and it's enriching, of course :thumbup: ).

I called UTMB about "PREP", and they said the 6 week program goes from May 31st to July 8th, Monday-Friday, 8-5pm :eek: , and there is no charge for the *program*, per se, but there might be charges for living expenses ( :confused: - hidden fees, or something?).

It will be an introduction to gross anatomy, molecules cells and tissues, and histology, as well as a smidge of "practice of medicine," and some study/ time management skills courses.

PREP is mostly geared towards non-science majors/ those who are non traditional or did not graduate in the last year, and/ or those with lower than average standardized tests scores. It sounded like they also send a few random letters out too. If you did not receive a letter about PREP, you can call (409)772-6026, ask to speak to Sandra Garvock, and request information about the program.

Anyways, I'm debating whether I want to give up my 8am-5pm summer relaxation time to do this, but that's all the info I found in case you are interested. G'luck! :luck:

wdarli said:
Quick question for current students...and anyone else that may know...what does everyone do for computers? Do most students have labtops and bring them to class, or do most students leave their computers at home? I am currently trying to decide what kind of computer I want to get before school starts.

on a side note, does anyone know when we will get more stuff from UTMB??? :D

Well, hopefully we'll get our diploma in 4.5 years. :)

for computers, you can get a loan of up to $3K for a new desktop or laptop. they don't ask how you spend your money and rather just give you the money with no strings attached. about 10 people in the class bring their laptops to take notes on. the popular model is the tablet-style laptops that allow you to write with a stylus onto the screen. this is good when taking notes on the powerpoint presentations. others just print out the ppt or use the previous year's scribe notes to write on. oh, ya'll's class will be blessed with really good scribe notes that our class made. the ones that we got from the MS2s pretty much stank. so, if you see us at molly's or yaga's, buy us a drink.

Barca said:
for computers, you can get a loan of up to $3K for a new desktop or laptop. they don't ask how you spend your money and rather just give you the money with no strings attached. about 10 people in the class bring their laptops to take notes on. the popular model is the tablet-style laptops that allow you to write with a stylus onto the screen. this is good when taking notes on the powerpoint presentations. others just print out the ppt or use the previous year's scribe notes to write on. oh, ya'll's class will be blessed with really good scribe notes that our class made. the ones that we got from the MS2s pretty much stank. so, if you see us at molly's or yaga's, buy us a drink.

Kick ass! Thanks for the notes! :)

thanks for the info and the future notes!!

BUMP!

To the top of the page we go!

So I took the plunge and decided to attend the PREP program....has anyone else decided to do the program as well??

I'm going to UTMB tomorrow and for the weekend to party and try to find a lab to work in, I can't wait! I'm also gonna talk to some MS1's and ask them about the prematric program, so I'll decide soon.

Did people already receive PREP program invitations in the mail? If yes, when did you receive them? When is the deadline to register for that?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Did people already receive PREP program invitations in the mail? If yes, when did you receive them? When is the deadline to register for that?
I received mine last week....although instead of coming to my current mailing address it showed up at my parents house (my alternate address) The letter that they sent wasn't very informatitive but the deadline is Feb. 28. If you didn't receive a letter in the mail I would call the office of special programs to ask about it. Here is the link for the program description
http://www.utmb.edu/somstudentaffairs/specialprograms/prematriculation.html

Hope this helps :)

I signed up for prematric. I decided that I'd rather learn than continue being a working stiff (it's got its perks, but time to move on...).

Hey OZ! I've got it in my head to head to G-town this weekend too! I was planning Sunday or Monday - to look around at housing and such.

-You just gonna walk around and ask people? Who are you partying/ staying with?

I might be in Galveston too, depending on how things go on Saturday.

GutsyGal said:
I might be in Galveston too, depending on how things go on Saturday.

ROAD TRIP!!

So Gutsy, are you going to take your visitors to the island? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.