UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Welcome to the Greatest UTMB class EVER! :thumbup:

Please post if you have been accepted to UTMB and we'll get to know one another.

Galvatraz 4EVA! :love:

PS - don't forget to add this thread to your subscriptions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Nice to meet you. d(^.^d)

good morning classmates.
dang I couldn't sleep last night (reasons unrelated to the match) and it sucks :) So who wants to go apartment hunting for me!

What exact areas are safe to live in that aren't too far from the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet all of you guys....does anyone know if there is a 2nd look weekend down at UTMB?? :D :D :D

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now, Come Celebrate Your Acceptance And Meet Your New Classmates!!
We Are Meeting At Trudy's On 30th Street In Austin At 9pm Tonight

Well the areas surrounding the school are somehwhat in the ghetto. The West side of the island has nicer and safer places (not to say that the east side near the school isnt that safe). It is about a 15 min drive to school from the West side. Having said that, i live on the East side and i love it. I'm close to school, restaurants, and bars. Most all of galveston is safe during the day (like any other city) and i havent had any problems at night. My roomate contacted an apartment locator person to help find a place. You can even look online. The Victorian houses near the school are nice, but i am not sure how you know which ones are avaliable. Anyway Congrats to everyone. You will truly enjoy it here...except for all the damn studying!

-Bono :eek:

PM me - I've got champagne for tonight. :)

CONGRATS TO THE CLASS OF 2009! Ya'll made an awesome choice in coming to UTMB! Ya'll won't know how much fun medical school can be until you get here and meet your classmates. That being said, get ready for AMWA weekend in August where my med frat, Theta Kappa Psi, will be throwing one of the best parties you'll ever go to: Shot Party. If ya'll have any questions about living at the TKY mansion or joining it or UTMB questions, just let me know.

Hey people! Finally got around to posting in here. I guess I need to stock up on hot weather clothing.

btw, you can count in 6 people from Austin College for the class

Hey everybody,

I just matched with UTMB!! I'm so excited that the grueling application process is over....and relieved that I got in to medical school! WOOHOO. :laugh:

I currently attend UT Austin and will graduate this May 2005. I'm looking forward to starting medical school with you guys!

congratulations everyone.... i am a first year at utmb who is very happy that i came here...hit me up with any questions if you wanna.

Members don't see this ad :)
nykka3 said:
congratulations everyone.... i am a first year at utmb who is very happy that i came here...hit me up with any questions if you wanna.

Well since you offered.....any general advice to us newly accepted UTMB-ers as to what we should do now? I'm relieved now that the acceptance part is over....but now I'm not sure where to start. When to do financial aid stuff? Look for housing? Anything you wish you had known about UTMB before you started?

And most importantly, how to get through the last college semester? Now that I'm in, I don't care about school. :p

OMG How can I contain myself?? I have to keep it secret from my boss that I'm going to quit in the summer to go to UTMB. I must....keep.....secret....!!! I'm working in The Woodlands at a biopharmaceutical company...don't mind the job, dislike the supervisor. Can't wait to sock it to him!

I got some questions.
When does class start?
Is it recommended to take that summer program?
How big is the class? 200?

hey nykka3, i've got a question for you? when are we going to salsa dance? :)

your housing options look like this: east side apartments like Casa Caribe, Carleton Courtyard, Ebbtide, Villa Marina, McDaniels Properties, Port-au-Prince condos, and others. There's lots of houses out there too where you can rent one of three or four rooms that are an apartment themselves. East Side of Galveston where the school is not ghetto (not like what everyone says), but you've got the benefits of living 5 minutes from campus/rec center/beach. Pricer options include Strand Lofts on 25th and Mechanic (and pricer means $$$). There's lots of apartments on the west side of the island too. Guys, there's always TKY frat house as a cheap option, and you'll have fun at the house too. Galveston has character to it that the big cities lack although it does lack the big city conveniences. However, who can say that they go play on the beach whenever they want during the summer? Nykka3 and I are MS1s, so we're here to help all future 1st years!

btw, classes start 8/29 but ya'll will have orientation the week before that. About 60 people out of the class of ~200 will take the pre-matriculation program, which gives you a headstart on the classes. I think nykka3 did it, so ask her about it.

do those that participate in the pre-matriculation program get invited to do so.......or how does that all work??

btw I'm really excited to meet everyone :D

A family friend recommended living in a frat, but are there any that gals can live in (or would want to?). Would it be similar to living in a dorm?

Everyone please post when you receive your acceptance letters, so the rest of us can be on the lookout!

UTMB for me as well!! This was my first choice, so I am very pumped.

Now I just need to find a good place to live...still deciding whether to rent a 1 BR apartment or find a couple other people and rent a house. For those of you that already live in Galveston, what do you recommend?

Congrats to everybody! Here's to one hell of a class

-Ben

usually pre-matric is for those who have taken a year off after graduating to get them ready for serious studying. or you can inquire about the program and they'll let you in. the only frat house for girls is the Phi Chi house which is co-ed, and the people who live there have a good time. housing is really cheap down here: a 1 bdrm apt runs for about $400-600. Or a 3 bd house goes for $400 a person. Find an apartment locator to help you out.

So has it sunk in for everyone that you were accepted?

I know it sounds cheesy, but seriously, I'm still giddy.

:)

Lots of Longhorns coming to UTMB :wow:

When I interviewed, the student panel said that every year the president makes sure to make a point of the fact that UTMB's school color is burnt orange, and they sing The Eyes at graduation...that pretty much sealed the deal :laugh:

-Ben

fotolilith said:
Anyone on Facebook? I am :

http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7913005

I am a recent graduate from UT Austin, with most of my educational training in Psychology, Neuroscience, and Biochemistry.

Right now I'm working at MD Anderson in Houston.

Anyone else?

UTMB people! Look alive! We're behind the other texas threads...where is everyone?

psst...ms fotolilith (got your sex right, didn't I? :p) your facebook link doesn't work! Use the AIM link they provide you...I might give you a poke. ;)

I wonder what kind of fun stuff will be in the acceptance packet thing they send, if it is a packet and not just a letter. I can't wait to QUIT MY JOB!!! GRRRRRRR :smuggrin: :horns:

UTKB said:
I wonder what kind of fun stuff will be in the acceptance packet thing they send, if it is a packet and not just a letter. I can't wait to QUIT MY JOB!!! GRRRRRRR :smuggrin: :horns:

Haha...saying ciao to the job...so close and yet so far! :)

soooo... what's in it?

arierty said:
soooo... what's in it?

let's see...

o some conditions for matriculation
o important dates
o White Coat info
o a tax form
o security clearance form
o disabilities form
o some scholarship applications

UTKB said:
let's see...

o some conditions for matriculation
o important dates
o White Coat info
o a tax form
o security clearance form
o disabilities form
o some scholarship applications

When are y'all going to start thinking about living arrangements?

I realize everything is just sinking in and we're about to go into an abyss of glee for 5 or so months until our white coat ceremony, but how do you feel about a yahoo or email or facebook group for the incoming class of 2005?

PM with your email or post any suggestions.

fotolilith said:
I realize everything is just sinking in and we're about to go into an abyss of glee for 5 or so months until our white coat ceremony, but how do you feel about a yahoo or email or facebook group for the incoming class of 2005?

PM with your email or post any suggestions.

Sounds good--I don't know much about that stuff, but I'd definitely join. I just joined facebook but haven't really looked into it, so I don't really know what it is.

If there are enough Austin UTMB people we should have a C/O 2009 get together for some drinks or something. Any takers?

-Ben

looks like a tsunami hit that building in the webcam.

shock827 said:
looks like a tsunami hit that building in the webcam.

yeah, and funny enough at 9pm CST there are clear blue skies in Galveston... hmm... :laugh:

Freaking sweet, a thread actually for UTMB'ers! To give everyone some info, I'm a senior at OU, and I lived/worked at UTMB last summer and loved it. I can't wait to come back to Texas, I lived at the Beta house and probably will live there again so I can be next to the gym. :cool: I probably won't do prematric this summer, but I am going to try to do research in lab (they have really sweet basic science research labs). Anyways I can't wait to get know you all better!

OzManTx said:
Freaking sweet, a thread actually for UTMB'ers!

OZ Man! Great to have you, we're so excited to...wait, what was that?

I'm a senior at OU

I'm sorry, UTMB just instituted an OU quarantine... no ban! Mad cow, that's it! You'll have to talk to them - just go out to the bay & you'll get info in the future.

:horns:

:)

That's cool you've already got some living experience in Galveston - what research did you do?

What did you like about Beta house?

So I got a question:

How many "formal" biology labs did you take?

fotolilith said:
So I got a question:

How many "formal" biology labs did you take?

Yeah reading the posts, I know I'm going to be grossly outnumbered by Longhorns, but hey we can put that all behind us, except for a weekend in October.

As for "formal" labs, I have taken 4, however none prepared me for the research I did at UTMB. I worked in a genetic toxicology lab, which is a really fancy way of say cancer biology but before the actual cancer, so it was alot of genetic/mol bio stuff. I enjoyed it and the people there were extremely supportive and understanding.

As for the Beta house, the perks were they had a cook that made dinner monday-thursday (his food was great), they had a swimming pool, it was actually on campus and across the street from the field house which is a really nice gym. Each person has their own room with highspeed internet and cable, and shares a bathroom with a suitemate. Also having older students living there is a valuable asset to help guide your professional choices.

I liked it because I used to do the frat thing (2 years ago) but it was BS as most frats are in college and I dropped. However at Galveston there is a balance between having fun and school work, because were all going to UTMB to be doctors, not bong beers. However after the first exam...

So yes I am definitely excited to be going UTMB!

Congratulations to everyone who got into UTMB. When you consider housing, it's really good to check out the fraternities and take advantage of them. The cheap rent, proximity to school, home cooked food, and friends can't be beat. The Med School Fraternites are nothing like college fraternities and you get to know a lot of guys in different classes and get previews of what the next few years will be like. Some are Co-Ed and some are all male and they each have different aspects about them that make them special.

Unfortunately they don't let us send in our fliers until your packet you get in June or July and by then most people have already secured housing. So I've attached the flyer from last year that will be similar to the one that we'll be sending out.

I live at Phi Beta Pi and have enjoyed my time there. Be sure to have as much fun as you can this Summer and take full advantage of Senioritis this spring. My last semester of college was the best one.

Anyone who is at UT or A&M let us know because we'll be taking a recruiting trip to Austin and CS later this spring and you can come meet us and have a few beers on us. :D

Attachments

• Recruitment Flier.doc
    30 KB · Views: 455
fotolilith said:
I'm sorry, UTMB just instituted an OU quarantine... no ban! Mad cow, that's it! You'll have to talk to them - just go out to the bay & you'll get info in the future.

:horns:

I'm so, so, so sorry for January 4th OZ.

USCTex said:
I'm so, so, so sorry for January 4th OZ.

Man, that still hurts. No Bueno! Just give Rhett Bomar another year and we'll see what happens, myabe we will have a QB that can think while scrambling, wait a minute how about a qb that scrambles, yeah that'd be nice.

OzManTx said:
Yeah reading the posts, I know I'm going to be grossly outnumbered by Longhorns, but hey we can put that all behind us, except for a weekend in October.

As for "formal" labs, I have taken 4, however none prepared me for the research I did at UTMB. I worked in a genetic toxicology lab, which is a really fancy way of say cancer biology but before the actual cancer, so it was alot of genetic/mol bio stuff. I enjoyed it and the people there were extremely supportive and understanding.

So yes I am definitely excited to be going UTMB!

Well, I just read in the packet that we need a year of bio formal labs - I'm wondering how many hours that translates to. Guess I'll just have to give Old Red a call sometime soon and get clarification on that.

Congrats to all class of 2009 who just joined this thread for making a career and life choice that will make ya'll rejoice! For those guys who are looking to live/join a medical fraternity, your options include Theta Kappa Psi, Phi Beta Pi, Alpha Kappa Kappa, and Phi Chi. The guys in each fraternity are all great, unique individuals, but I will have to plug TKY. The benefits of living in the mansion are numerous: just remodeled singles with your own bathroom, meals cooked by our French gourmet chef (not exactly but pretty tasty stuff), meeting our wise, older med students, and memories/experiences that you'll yearn for after leaving medical school. We're a diverse group of close-knit fellows who embody the motto of "study hard and play even harder!" Hopefully we'll get our website up again for everyone to take a look. Let me know if anyone has questions about UTMB.

Status
Not open for further replies.