UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fotolilith said:
ROAD TRIP!!

So Gutsy, are you going to take your visitors to the island? :cool:

Actually, the visit is for their benefit...show them around and all. Doubt I'd do any active scouting for housing, etc., even if I did make it down there. :)

BTW, did ya get my PM? The consensus seems to be a late night visit to Sliders.

Members don't see this ad.

GutsyGal said:
Actually, the visit is for their benefit...show them around and all. Doubt I'd do any active scouting for housing, etc., even if I did make it down there. :)

BTW, did ya get my PM? The consensus seems to be a late night visit to Sliders.

Nope, haven't gotten it yet. I'm not familiar with Sliders - is that in Houston or Galveston?

So I am going to Galveston this weekend - PM me if you have any housing suggestions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty convinced I will be coming to Galveston too, not this weekend, but for school :p I am quickly becoming pretty excited, I wish I could go check out housing options this weekend too, unfortunately I am moving from Oregon and it isn't so convenient. I am not too sure why I felt compelled to share all of this just wanted to. :confused:

arierty said:
I am pretty convinced I will be coming to Galveston too, not this weekend, but for school :p I am quickly becoming pretty excited, I wish I could go check out housing options this weekend too, unfortunately I am moving from Oregon and it isn't so convenient. I am not too sure why I felt compelled to share all of this just wanted to. :confused:

Hha, welcome to TX, home of the overshare. :)

Awesome! Oregon?! I'm going to be visiting Portland (my 3rd time, cuz it's one of my favorite cities) in April.

I'm going to look around. What are you most concerned with, in terms of housing? My number one thing is being close to campus for the, :eek: 8am classes. :)

What are you coming to Portland for? Not that I don't like it here, it just seems most people coming to the Northwest for vacation go to Seattle. I am getting sad that I am not doing prematric cause everyone else gets to move so soon, and will already know eachother... But anyway, I am getting married in June and we will move sometime in the summer at the latest two weeks before orientation. I am not sure exactly where I want to live. The biggest problem is I think we will only have one car so close to school is probablly a good idea!

Didn't end up in Galveston this weekend. Went to Kema instead. Did y'all get a good visit in, take a look at some housing, etc?

GutsyGal said:
Didn't end up in Galveston this weekend. Went to Kema instead. Did y'all get a good visit in, take a look at some housing, etc?

Me neither, I had some family concerns come up. I might make it down there on Monday, tho.

Kemah is awesome - you went to the boardwalk and walked around? It's a neat place to visit.

arierty said:
What are you coming to Portland for? Not that I don't like it here, it just seems most people coming to the Northwest for vacation go to Seattle. I am getting sad that I am not doing prematric cause everyone else gets to move so soon, and will already know eachother... But anyway, I am getting married in June and we will move sometime in the summer at the latest two weeks before orientation. I am not sure exactly where I want to live. The biggest problem is I think we will only have one car so close to school is probablly a good idea!

I am going to a conference in mid April. I'm surprised more ppl don't vacation in Oregon - you guys have beaches and ski slopes and they're all about a 2 hr drive from one another. :thumbup:

So what is your SO going to do in Galveston while you are in school? (if you don't mind sharing ;) )

[/QUOTE] So what is your SO going to do in Galveston while you are in school? (if you don't mind sharing ;) )[/QUOTE]

fotolith, my fiance will be looking for a job this summer so he has one when we get there. he is only moving since I am. I think that was one of the toughest parts about matching at Galveston - worrying about where he is going to work seeing that the major industry is UTMB!

Barca said:
for computers, you can get a loan of up to $3K for a new desktop or laptop. they don't ask how you spend your money and rather just give you the money with no strings attached. about 10 people in the class bring their laptops to take notes on. the popular model is the tablet-style laptops that allow you to write with a stylus onto the screen.

I forgot to check if the lecture halls or libraries have wireless access points. Can any current students offer any insight on that.

Additionally, what sort of guidance do MS1s normally get at UTMB? Are we assigned to any faculty or MS2 mentors?

Thanks!

arierty said:
fotolith, my fiance will be looking for a job this summer so he has one when we get there. he is only moving since I am. I think that was one of the toughest parts about matching at Galveston - worrying about where he is going to work seeing that the major industry is UTMB!

Wow, that's a tough challenge, but it sounds like you've got a very supportive fiancé. I actually have known about 4 couples who did the eact same thing, and all of them seemed happy (and one of their kids can say she was "Born on Island" - it's a local slang. ;) ).

Are you two thinking of buying a condo or renting an apartment?

the lecture halls have wireless access, but i'm not positive about the library. they're trying to make the campus wireless though. no one plays CS while in lecture unlike in undergrad. the library has enough computers for everyone to use for surfing on studentdoctor.net.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump...

fotolilith: How was your trip to Galveston today? Fun in the sun? :p

Heya folks,

It's taken me a while just to get over the laziness of actually registering (the whole senioritis thing), and I just wanted to say hello to all you future physicians. Am I the only one from Baylor here? That's slightly creepy, but I look forward to getting to know all you guys (and gals).

Step one, register for posting.
Step two, finding apartments.

I'm going to be in so much trouble...

For those interested in the PREP program here are the details as emailed to me from Driana Urbina, Coordinator of Special Programs.

Hello !

The PREP program courses are free. The classes are from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with weekends off. It is required that participants attend all courses through the six-weeks of the program. As mentioned in the letter you received, there will be a preview of gross anatomy and molecules, cells, and tissue, pathobiology, neurosciences and medical Spanish. You will also attend lectures and participate in lab, workshops on study skills, computer-assisted learning skills and attend small group sessions.

Participants will only be responsible for their housing, purchasing of their books and meals. The estimate cost of the books, is between $400 – 500.00 and are the same books that will be used in the fall. Regarding housing, housing will be available through the fraternities close by campus. Last year rate for fraternity housing was $400.00 for the six-weeks. We are meeting with the fraternities to see if the rate will continue to be the same this year. We will send you the information in the next letter. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Sincerely,

Driana Urbina

Coordinator of Special Programs

GutsyGal said:
bump...

fotolilith: How was your trip to Galveston today? Fun in the sun? :p

What sun? There was 30 foot visibility, at most, in the fog, and my friends told me I looked like a curled up dog when they walked away and looked back at me snoozing on the beach.
:eek:

But yeah, it was fun in the fog, and at least we can go to the "beach" in February. How many other states can boast that? :)

AQP said:
Heya folks,

It's taken me a while just to get over the laziness of actually registering (the whole senioritis thing), and I just wanted to say hello to all you future physicians. Am I the only one from Baylor here? That's slightly creepy, but I look forward to getting to know all you guys (and gals).

Step one, register for posting.
Step two, finding apartments.

I'm going to be in so much trouble...

Nope, you've got bear friends... *nod towards Gutsy*

...just as long as you know how to bleed orange by the time we're announced as the graduating class of 2009. :smuggrin:

fotolilith said:
Nope, you've got bear friends... *nod towards Gutsy*

...just as long as you know how to bleed orange by the time we're announced as the graduating class of 2009. :smuggrin:

check your PM.

Here's the flyer to the Phi Chi fraternity house for all to look at like I promised. Test weeks in med school really suck, as my class has two days of massive stress until our Pathology/Host Defense final. Studying for this unit is already bad, but they're giving us two more lectures today and another one tomorrow along with a new PBL case plus lab yesterday. In med school, you'll never feel completely prepared for any test due to the massive amount of material. On the downside, the units get progressively harder in the case of our next unit, neuroscience/human behavior. When ya'll are in gross anatomy/radiology and studying for the first test, ya'll will have the "fear of Jesus" and study until your head hurts. But don't worry since you'll have lots of time to relax and enjoy yourselves. Then, for those that drink, you drink massively. And the cycle repeats itself every four weeks. Do note that I used the word massive three times. :thumbup:

Attachments

• phichi 2003 fllyer.doc
    21 KB · Views: 118
Barca said:
Here's the flyer to the Phi Chi fraternity house for all to look at like I promised. Test weeks in med school really suck, as my class has two days of massive stress until our Pathology/Host Defense final. Studying for this unit is already bad, but they're giving us two more lectures today and another one tomorrow along with a new PBL case plus lab yesterday. In med school, you'll never feel completely prepared for any test due to the massive amount of material. On the downside, the units get progressively harder in the case of our next unit, neuroscience/human behavior. When ya'll are in gross anatomy/radiology and studying for the first test, ya'll will have the "fear of Jesus" and study until your head hurts. But don't worry since you'll have lots of time to relax and enjoy yourselves. Then, for those that drink, you drink massively. And the cycle repeats itself every four weeks. Do note that I used the word massive three times. :thumbup:

Ah! Thanks for the advice and the flyer...but you've sorta gotten me freaked out. I'm one of those who didn't study all that hard in undergrad and now I'm afraid that I won't know how to study for real! :oops:

I'm going to G-town Saturday and Sunday...anybody else gonna be visiting this weekend? I'm hoping to look at apartments and frats. If I don't find anything I like I'll probably just hold out and perhaps rent a house or condo.

For those who have already taken a trip to look at housing, what are some general impressions?

When I get back I'll make a writeup that will hopefully help out some.

-Ben

Barca said:

Thanks for the info, Barca. Are there yearly fraternity dues on top of the $325/ month?

Well, it sounds like med school won't be much different for me - I NEVER felt comfortable for exams. :laugh:

btw, what exactly are "units?"

Thanks!

sben said:
I'm going to G-town Saturday and Sunday...anybody else gonna be visiting this weekend? I'm hoping to look at apartments and frats. If I don't find anything I like I'll probably just hold out and perhaps rent a house or condo.

For those who have already taken a trip to look at housing, what are some general impressions?

When I get back I'll make a writeup that will hopefully help out some.

-Ben

Word to the wise, don't bring your friends, unless you want every place you look at to elicit a "are you SURE?!?!"

Hehe, ah, Galveston. :thumbup:

fotolilith said:
Word to the wise, don't bring your friends, unless you want every place you look at to elicit a "are you SURE?!?!"

Hehe, ah, Galveston. :thumbup:

Yikes, you all are make me scared. I only spent a day in Galveston for my interview. I don't remember it being so bad, except the frat I stayed in... Ben do you wanna snap some pictures for us too! You can put them in your report. Thanks for any information though. I am thinkin' it would be nice to live close enough to ride a bike, but far enough to not feel like I live at school!

Yeah I stayed in G town this weekend too, played some intermural soccer and had a good time. I drove around a bit, and decided that I'm going to for sure live at Beta, I don't want to live alone off campus somewhere. Also I want to be able to walk to class and not fight for parking or bike in.

OzManTx said:
Yeah I stayed in G town this weekend too, played some intermural soccer and had a good time. I drove around a bit, and decided that I'm going to for sure live at Beta, I don't want to live alone off campus somewhere. Also I want to be able to walk to class and not fight for parking or bike in.

Seriously, Broadway traffic = :thumbdown:

Harborside isn't that much better.
I think I'll stay at PHI CHI for pre-matriculation and see how I like the frat life. If it's not sweet music, I have the summer to find another place.

arierty said:
Yikes, you all are make me scared. I only spent a day in Galveston for my interview. I don't remember it being so bad, except the frat I stayed in... Ben do you wanna snap some pictures for us too! You can put them in your report. Thanks for any information though. I am thinkin' it would be nice to live close enough to ride a bike, but far enough to not feel like I live at school!

nonono! My friends are just mean and bitter...don't pay them any attention. ;)

arierty said:

Oooo yeah, pictures, Ben! That's a great idea...make sure you visit the coed frats like ya said you wanted to. ;) And give us a detailed report!! Merci buckets!

Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

GutsyGal said:
Oooo yeah, pictures, Ben! That's a great idea...make sure you visit the coed frats like ya said you wanted to. ;) And give us a detailed report!! Merci buckets!

Sure thing.

I plan on visiting all the frats (I've been in contact with pretty much each one) in addition to a few apartment complexes. I wish I could check out homes/condos for rent, but it's way too early for that, so I will stick with apartments. I have a very short list of places that I want to check out--anybody have specific suggestions?

I'll be sticking to East End, so I unfortunately won't be much help for you West End people...

Can't wait to get down there!
-Ben

GutsyGal said:

Gutsy just wants photos of all the frat boys... with their shirts off, playing volleyball! ;)

sben said:
Sure thing.

I plan on visiting all the frats (I've been in contact with pretty much each one) in addition to a few apartment complexes. I wish I could check out homes/condos for rent, but it's way too early for that, so I will stick with apartments. I have a very short list of places that I want to check out--anybody have specific suggestions?

I'll be sticking to East End, so I unfortunately won't be much help for you West End people...

-Ben

Here's my suggestion: carpe diem! :)

fotolilith said:
Gutsy just wants photos of all the frat boys... with their shirts off, playing volleyball! ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my last post...you thought I meant pictures of the rooms and facilities? :eek: Mais non! Boys boys boys boys boys is all I want. :p

*it's raining men, hallelujah, it's raining men* :D

sben said:
Sure thing.

-Ben

Did you get an email back from Phi Rho Sigma? I tried emailing them but the message bounced back. I did hear back from Phi Chi though.

GutsyGal said:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my last post...you thought I meant pictures of the rooms and facilities? :eek: Mais non! Boys boys boys boys boys is all I want. :p

*it's raining men, hallelujah, it's raining men* :D

I knew I liked your priorities. :thumbup:

GutsyGal said:
Did you get an email back from Phi Rho Sigma? I tried emailing them but the message bounced back. I did hear back from Phi Chi though.

Did you contact the frats? What email did you use for each one?

Hey guys!!

I was surfing the web and found last years UTMB thread UTMB Galveston c/o 2008 .... thought you might want to see what this years MS1's were talking about and I also thought that this was interesting regarding what books are thought to be helpful from a current student :D

lowbudget said:
Buy the old and new scribes. Just do it and save yourself a lot of heartache. We don't have a "syllabus" like other schools do, so your old scribes will serve as your syllabus. Here's ONE way you can study:

Scribes
1) Read the old scribes 1-2 days before lecture. Study them hard actually.
2) Go to lecture and take pertinent notes onto your old scribes
3) When the new scribes come out (days to weeks later), study the new scribes for your exam. In this way, you'll have covered the same material 3 times before you even begin to review for your block exam.
4) Studying/memorizing the scribe notes are more important than doing the "required" reading.

Review Books
5) Buy First Aid for Step 1 to use for your 1st 2 years. This will be your guide as to what is important. If it's in First Aid, you better know it cold. It also has the factoids and mneumonics that you need to memorize. You need this book from Day 1. Then when it's 2nd semester 2nd year, buy the most recent edition of First Aid (again). It'll have material that appeared on the latest Step 1.

6) BRS Series: Physiology and Pathology are the most important ones. You can start buying them during Pathobio.
7) Step Up: GOOD organ system review book which is what our curriculum is. It's a good idea to flip through this book before each organ system block to give you an overview, then come back towards the exams to review again.
8) Lippincott: People like Biochem and Pharm. Get Biochem for MCT. You won't read the whole thing, because you will revisit Biochem at a later date, but you may as well read as much as you can, because they will assume you know biochem in subsequent blocks.
9) Micro Made Ridiculously Simple: Get it during Pathobio
10) Pharm Cards: Either get Lippincott Pharm or Pharm Cards. I got both and took notes onto my Cards as I went through med school. Before each block, pull out the drugs that will be discussed in that block. You can look on your old scribes to see what they are. As you read (books, Lippincott, First Aid, whatever), put your notes on the cards and you'll have them ready for whenever you take your Step 1's.

fotolilith said:
I am going to a conference in mid April. I'm surprised more ppl don't vacation in Oregon - you guys have beaches and ski slopes and they're all about a 2 hr drive from one another. :thumbup:

So what is your SO going to do in Galveston while you are in school? (if you don't mind sharing ;) )

Fotolith, what conference are you going to. I just found out I might be presenting at the NW Undergrad. Research Conf. in mid April, is that where you are goin'?!

fotolilith said:
Did you contact the frats? What email did you use for each one?

I used that sheet they gave us in the interview packet. It's got numbers and emails on it about housing with frats. I got an email back from Phi Chi and they basically said what was on the flyers. The contact email for Phi Rho Sigma (the only other coed frat as far as I know) didn't work for me ([email protected]). Maybe you can try and let me know how it goes.

GutsyGal said:
I used that sheet they gave us in the interview packet. It's got numbers and emails on it about housing with frats. I got an email back from Phi Chi and they basically said what was on the flyers. The contact email for Phi Rho Sigma (the only other coed frat as far as I know) didn't work for me ([email protected]). Maybe you can try and let me know how it goes.

There are some Phi Rho Sigma contact emails on this page: http://web.utmb.edu/UTWEB/Display_Content.asp?numMenu_Node_ID=503160173 I'll try them this weekend.

BTW, great deductive reasoning with the interview packet stuff... didn't even think about that. :thumbup:

Hey, just a heads up - you need to get at least 2/3 of your Heb B shots AND a TB test before matriculation. Here's more info on the immunization requirements:

http://web.utmb.edu//studentwellness/

If you work for a hospital/ go to a university you can usually get them cheap and/ or free. Generally, you need to wait 2 months between Hep B shots, so you should start your series soon. :cool:

thehopeful said:
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

The only school I'm waiting to hear from is Baylor.....although I have a feeling that they're not going to show me any love.

I'm also on waiting lists for two other TX schools, but I'm pretty set on UTMB now so I'm not sure what I would do if they contacted me.

Hope this helps.

fotolilith said:
Hey, just a heads up - you need to get at least 2/3 of your Heb B shots AND a TB test before matriculation. Here's more info on the immunization requirements:

http://web.utmb.edu//studentwellness/

If you work for a hospital/ go to a university you can usually get them cheap and/ or free. Generally, you need to wait 2 months between Hep B shots, so you should start your series soon. :cool:

Bump...

Btw, good info foto (hey that rhymes! :p ). Thanks! :thumbup:

GutsyGal said:
Bump...

Btw, good info foto (hey that rhymes! :p ). Thanks! :thumbup:

Yeah, I feel like doing a little jig to that. :)

Hey everyone,

I read through the posts and it seems no one is living/going to live in the dorms. What's so bad about them?
Also, what is the story with fraternities (or whatever term is used for the co-ed version)? I come from a university that has practically no Greek life. I read the Phi Chi flyer and think it is a great deal...where is the catch? :confused:

Thanks.

sinephera said:
Hey everyone,

I read through the posts and it seems no one is living/going to live in the dorms. What's so bad about them?
Also, what is the story with fraternities (or whatever term is used for the co-ed version)? I come from a university that has practically no Greek life. I read the Phi Chi flyer and think it is a great deal...where is the catch? :confused:

Thanks.

There's just not a lot of info on the dorms yet, so that's probably why no one has talked about it. Although, I know that personally I need at least my own room, so despite the cheap price (I think it's less than $300/ mo), the dorms are not for me.

You can find out more info about the university dorms here: http://www2.utmb.edu/housing/

As for the UTMB frats, they are not typically like the frats you might picture. There was some weirdo on the waitlist thread who was dogging UTMB and the medical frats (but yet won't drop his acceptance here so that WE don't have to deal with his whining next year... not that I'm irritated or anything :smuggrin: ), but he had no concept of the medical fraternity system anyways.

Med frats are basically set up for gathering old notes/ books/ tests (tho not so much at UTMB anymore, cuz the PBL tests are all sequestered now), cheap housing, study groups, and letting off steam. Everyone I've known that lived at a UTMB frat said that it's a very supportive system. They also tend to have the best parties... tho these are always scheduled AFTER the big exams. :laugh:

While it's not for everyone, the frats (coed and non-coed ones) are a pretty reasonable housing choice at UTMB. From my understanding, the main catches are that you don't have much privacy/ ownership outside your room (in the common areas), you might hear your neighbors (but in a med frat people are strongly encouraged to respect the study needs of others), and there are probably yearly frat dues on top of the $350/mo rent.

fotolilith said:
There's just not a lot of info on the dorms yet, so that's probably why no one has talked about it. Although, I know that personally I need at least my own room, so despite the cheap price (I think it's less than $300/ mo), the dorms are not for me.

You can find out more info about the university dorms here: http://www2.utmb.edu/housing/

As for the UTMB frats, they are not typically like the frats you might picture. There was some weirdo on the waitlist thread who was dogging UTMB and the medical frats (but yet won't drop his acceptance here so that WE don't have to deal with his whining next year... not that I'm irritated or anything :smuggrin: ), but he had no concept of the medical fraternity system anyways.

Med frats are basically set up for gathering old notes/ books/ tests (tho not so much at UTMB anymore, cuz the PBL tests are all sequestered now), cheap housing, study groups, and letting off steam. Everyone I've known that lived at a UTMB frat said that it's a very supportive system. They also tend to have the best parties... tho these are always scheduled AFTER the big exams. :laugh:

While it's not for everyone, the frats (coed and non-coed ones) are a pretty reasonable housing choice at UTMB. From my understanding, the main catches are that you don't have much privacy/ ownership outside your room (in the common areas), you might hear your neighbors (but in a med frat people are strongly encouraged to respect the study needs of others), and there are probably yearly frat dues on top of the $350/mo rent.

Haha yeah that guy in the waitlist thread was annoying. :laugh: I don't think I'm a dorm person either...I already did my time in undergrad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.