UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else confused by this security clearance form?? Like who is our UTMB contact person and #? Purpose of clearance? Job title????? :confused: I don't know what parts we fill out and which ones we leave blank. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

daysleeprx said:
Anyone else confused by this security clearance form?? Like who is our UTMB contact person and #? Purpose of clearance? Job title????? :confused: I don't know what parts we fill out and which ones we leave blank. :thumbdown:

No joke. I left all that crap blank, let the admissions people fill it out. I only answered the stuff I knew ;) ;)

daysleeprx said:

Me neither! If anyone figures it out or wants to give them call, let me know!

Did anyone else get excited when they got that package? White coat ceremony...it sorta brought to home that I AM going to be a MD unless something drastic happens in the next 4 yrs! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to hear about all the housing options, but I'd love to hear more details. As I recall from my interview visit, it seems like there are 2 main areas where students live--east of campus (walking distance) and around 69th street (10-15 min drive). From what I gather the apartments and houses east of campus maybe aren't as nice, but you get to walk to campus? What can those of you who live in Galveston add to that, maybe in terms of specific apartment complexes, neighborhoods, streets, etc? I will be visiting Galveston in a few weeks to pick out a place.

Also, thanks to the fraternities for chiming in--do the fraternities each have their own identities, and if so, how do they differ?

-Ben

sben,

The apartments on the westside of the island (around 69th Street) are newer, right next to Walmart and Kroger, are farther away from campus (since campus is around 11th Street), and a bit pricer. You do get a nicer outside appearance though. Some apartments include The Village by the Sea, Driftwood, Seaside Village (49th street), Galveston lofts for pricer living (http://www.galvestonlofts.net/index.html) and others that I can't think of off the top of my head. There's apartment locators such as www.apartmentsgalveston.com or www.gulfapartmentlocators.com to look for specific apartment needs.

As for the fraternities, there aren't like college fraternities where you have to pledge for them or hang out exclusively with them. I like them because you can socialize with people outside of your class that you'll see all the time, meeting other SOM, GSBS, and allied health people. The Theta Kappa Psi mansion is located 5 minutes away from a seat in Levin Hall where 1st year classes are held, directly across from the grocery store, and a skip and a hop away from the Alumni field house gym. TKY is the only independent, not UTMB owned organization that has decades of tradition and generations of alumni to back it up. Since we're not supported by UTMB, we have autonomy in how we live and play. All the other fraternities receive funding from UTMB and have to play by UTMB's rules. We're the only fraternity that have monthly meetings (very memorable events) to rally the troops to socialize and do house business. The events that we host include the infamous, world-reknown TKY shot parties and the great White Trash Trailer Bash complete with hay, backyard country music, unwanted and junked appliances littering the yard, lots of beverages, and farm animals. We also just rolled our TKY float/battle wagon down Seawall for the annual Mardi Gras parade, giving out more than a thousand beads to frenzied party-goers. I have to say that it was one of the most fun things I've done while in school.

GutsyGal said:
Me neither! If anyone figures it out or wants to give them call, let me know!

Did anyone else get excited when they got that package? White coat ceremony...it sorta brought to home that I AM going to be a MD unless something drastic happens in the next 4 yrs! :D

Yeah, I know... you only have something like a 98% likelihood of finishing medical school.

Altho a UT statistician claimed that we all are more likely to die of a drug overdose than get an advanced degree... well, let's think of the positive, shall we? :)

I've attached a flyer from TKY for all to gawk at. After you induce the file to open and expose itself, be sure to give it some Mardi Gras beads. Also, check out this article that I found praising the virtues of beer. Viva la cerveza!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1261997.html?menu=

Attachments

• incoming flier.doc
    75.5 KB · Views: 130
Ya'll could live with me! :D

phi chi will send out a flier during the summer mailings, but due to my nicities i'll ask them to post one. ozmantx, one thing about being in texas from OK is that the beer's full-strength!

Members don't see this ad :)
Barca said:
phi chi will send out a flier during the summer mailings, but due to my nicities i'll ask them to post one. ozmantx, one thing about being in texas from OK is that the beer's full-strength!

So do you live at the frat, Barca? I thought you lived somewhere else?

OzManTx said:
Ya'll could live with me! :D

Yeah, Oz, I'm thinking you'll fit right in at UTMB. :p

i don't live at the frat but i'm there a ton. much love

UTKB said:
ANyone know about computer requirements?

Thinking about getting LASIK.

Oooo...me too. My dad gets squeamish about it though and doesn't want me to. Have you looked into it?

Let's keep this thing alive!

I don't know about computer requirements--I imagine you won't need too much in terms of performance. I just bought a computer (well, early graduation present since my old desktop completely died)--I ended up going for a pretty nice laptop. I wanted something that 1)I can take with me to class, PBL, etc and 2)is good enough to easily last me through med school.

It was interesting to read last year's thread when they talk about housing. It seems like some people are convinced that west end is better, others say east end is better, and still others think they are both fine. I wish I could have a pet and still live in the frats. What are most of y'all doing--getting 1-bedroom places or finding people to live with (or living in a frat)?

-Ben

GutsyGal said:
Oooo...me too. My dad gets squeamish about it though and doesn't want me to. Have you looked into it?

Yeah, I was thinking about getting it this summer if I don't have to buy a new computer. (Some schools seem to require a laptop, not sure if UTMB does.) My current computer is just fine, I could easily upgrade a few components. LASIK looks to cost about $2000 with that IntraLase thing, but you have to get an evaluation to see if yu're a candidate and see how much exactly it would cost. I really want it!! My contacts and glasses both drive me insane. Just hope I don't go blind cuz that would suck. :smuggrin:

sben said:
Let's keep this thing alive!

I don't know about computer requirements--I imagine you won't need too much in terms of performance. I just bought a computer (well, early graduation present since my old desktop completely died)--I ended up going for a pretty nice laptop. I wanted something that 1)I can take with me to class, PBL, etc and 2)is good enough to easily last me through med school.

It was interesting to read last year's thread when they talk about housing. It seems like some people are convinced that west end is better, others say east end is better, and still others think they are both fine. I wish I could have a pet and still live in the frats. What are most of y'all doing--getting 1-bedroom places or finding people to live with (or living in a frat)?

-Ben

I was *slightly* discouraged by the lack of wide spread wireless access, although I do understand that, as a teaching hospital they need to get the kinks/ security issues under control before allowing access for everyone.

I'm bringing my Mac - UTMB doesn't seem to have compatibility problems that I'm aware of, & I want to bring something reliable and portable.

I'm definitely vacillating about living arrangements, but I really don't want to live too far away. I did the commuter thing in college and now I'd like to live somewhere close. I have a friend who owns a codominium near UTMB and she says it's a good investment (because the $ you would pay for rent would go to paying for the condo instead, and this way you can always sell it at the end of your time in Galveston). But there is still that initial investment or bank loan.

I will check out PHI CHI and see what a deal it is - if it provides privacy an most meals, it could be worth it. Otherwise I would probably been keep on a 1-bdrm or house near campus.

Anyone else?

UTKB said:
Yeah, I was thinking about getting it this summer if I don't have to buy a new computer. (Some schools seem to require a laptop, not sure if UTMB does.) My current computer is just fine, I could easily upgrade a few components. LASIK looks to cost about $2000 with that IntraLase thing, but you have to get an evaluation to see if yu're a candidate and see how much exactly it would cost. I really want it!! My contacts and glasses both drive me insane. Just hope I don't go blind cuz that would suck. :smuggrin:

Well, I have *heard* that it's a safer procedure, now that they don't actually cut the eye (or whatever it was that would leave scar tissue before), but it's still pretty new.

I have problems with contacts too - are they too loose for you? I had to get a special kind that was tighter, so LASIK is tempting just to not go through the contacts hassle (and to wake up and see *clearly* in the morning! :) ).

fotolilith said:
Well, I have *heard* that it's a safer procedure, now that they don't actually cut the eye (or whatever it was that would leave scar tissue before), but it's still pretty new.

I have problems with contacts too - are they too loose for you? I had to get a special kind that was tighter, so LASIK is tempting just to not go through the contacts hassle (and to wake up and see *clearly* in the morning! :) ).

I heard it has less chance of complications since it is more personalized to your eye measurements. It still cuts a flap in your eye but with a laser instead of a blade (eww). The whole procedure is controlled by the computer using measurements entered by the opthalmologist. Sounds neat.

My contacts always make my eyes bloodshot and teary. THey always feel dirty even though I try to keep them immaculately clean. Glasses don't fit me right...my ears are crooked so they fit weird and my eyelashes hit the lenses. Really annoying! :thumbdown:

UTKB said:
I heard it has less chance of complications since it is more personalized to your eye measurements. It still cuts a flap in your eye but with a laser instead of a blade (eww). The whole procedure is controlled by the computer using measurements entered by the opthalmologist. Sounds neat.

My contacts always make my eyes bloodshot and teary. THey always feel dirty even though I try to keep them immaculately clean. Glasses don't fit me right...my ears are crooked so they fit weird and my eyelashes hit the lenses. Really annoying! :thumbdown:

What are you, a muppet? :)

Yeah, my contacts bugged me cuz they never fit right, until I got a better size.

I can see why ppl want to become opthomologists... you just put some numbers into computer, sit back, and send the bill. ;-P

Im going to get a new computer so I can download more music and burn DVD's faster.

So, I also matched to UTMB... but for some reason, which I cannot exactly figure out, just uneasiness, I am very hesitant to go. I was also acepted to another school in California. How do I decide!? Please help anyone... what makes UTMB so great? :scared:

Also, any info. about housing between Galveston and Houston would be really appreciated. My fiance will probablly have to work in Houston. :confused:

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

sben said:

-Ben

I personally don't like living alone. I'd like to have a roommate to share an apartment and my own room and bath. Am I being too dependent? :p

arierty said:
So, I also matched to UTMB... but for some reason, which I cannot exactly figure out, just uneasiness, I am very hesitant to go. I was also acepted to another school in California. How do I decide!? Please help anyone... what makes UTMB so great? :scared:

Also, any info. about housing between Galveston and Houston would be really appreciated. My fiance will probablly have to work in Houston. :confused:

Arierty, you gotta find the place that you fit at, so this is totally your decision.

UTMB's perks are that they have 4 hr class days (so that the students actually have time to study/ volunteer/ have a life), ONE class at a time (so that you don't feel bogged down trying to juggle a bunch of different tests at once), UTMB's Board scores are very good, an integrated curriculum with standardized patients and PBL (which current students tell me helps them remember cases and terms), a friendly environment, affordable tuition. So all of these reason convinced ME that UTMB was the perfect school for my medical education.

A lot of UTMB faculty/ residents live outside the island, like in Clear Lake or Kemah or Seabrook - sharing a home 1/2 way between Houston and Galveston might be a good compromise, if you don't mind the drive. Most students live on the island, but I know a few couples who made it through medical school just fine while one lived in Galveston and the other in Houston.

GutsyGal said:
I personally don't like living alone. I'd like to have a roommate to share an apartment and my own room and bath. Am I being too dependent? :p

Maybe you should ask the "Ask Evo" thread about this? ;-)

It's not uncommon to feel this way, particularly if you have ever been lonely while living alone or have not live independently before. I'm sure you could either post fliers or solicit ppl at orientation or on this website.

Besides, med school's a scary place... students need all the allies they can get. :)

Well, I just made a yahoo group for our class. It's called UTMB-2009 and is located here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UTMB-2009

I figured at the very least, this could be a good place to consolidate our personal info (like AIM screen names, etc), plus it makes it very easy to email everybody in the group. Please join!

This is also a good way for us to know everybody's face so we can actually recognize people at orientation. I'll get a picture up when I find one...

-Ben

I found out that UTMB does have a Big Sis program through AMWA.

In fact, there is usually a retreat for the gals some time before school starts - and then current UTMB guys try to tag along to hit on the incoming class. ;-P

Sounds like fun! :)

arierty said:

So maybe initially UTMB doesn't look as awesome as it really is....but you just need to do some serious research into the school and you'll see it has a lot of undeniable perks. I don't know which California school you are considering so I can't exactly compare, but I have some reasons why I'm really looking forward to spending my next 4 years of medical school in Galveston.

So reasons why UTMB kicks ass?
1. Integrated curriculum - one test every few weeks instead of 5 tests in one week (ie. no Hell weeks!)
2. I think out of all the TX medical schools, we are in class the least amount of time (only from 8-12 the first year, and 1-5pm the second whereas all the other schools have classes from 8-5pm).
3. With that said, UTMB students have very high board scores/passing rates. I've heard from current UTMB students that they are among the highest in Texas (up there with Southwestern) - but I haven't been able to find the exact stats on-line.
4. Among the cheapest in TX in terms of medical school tuition AND housing.
5. Only TX medical school with fraternities (as in, UTMB med students know how to socialize). If frats aren't for you, UTMB has over 50 student organizations.
6. If Galveston's not for you, you can do your whole 3rd year in Austin.
7. But if Galveston is for you, you can go surfing or sunbathe on the beach!

And wow, talk about shameless plug for a school I'm not even attending yet! I sound like UTMB's PR chair or something.

Ok, I hope those reasons appeal to you. Really though, you just need to find the school that fits you. Good luck!

kaleidoscope83 said:
And wow, talk about shameless plug for a school I'm not even attending yet! I sound like UTMB's PR chair or something.

Ok, I hope those reasons appeal to you. Really though, you just need to find the school that fits you. Good luck!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah kaleidoscope83! I look forward to having you as a future classmate! :)

Congratulations to all! I would recommend for everyone to live as close to campus as possible. I know lots of people who live out around 69th street or 81st street who are planning on moving closer for their second year. The west end is much closer to shopping, but you have to decide whether you would rather have a 15-20 minute drive to and from school every day of the week in exchange for being able to walk to Walmart or drive 15 minutes once a week to Walmart at your leisure while enjoying the luxury of being able to walk/ ride a bike to class. Parking will also be somewhat of a hassle, from what I have heard. Many people have to park a couple of blocks away, which isn't really that bad unless you consider that some people could walk/ ride a bike home in the time it takes you to get to your car. Also don't be surprised when your classes aren't really 8-12 for your first module. They will be 9-2 with one hour for lunch, plus one day a week you have Practice of Medicine that goes till 5. So it feels like a lot of time in class compared to undergrad (unless you took 23 hours per semester) but its med school, what do you expect? My biggest fear when coming here last year was that things would be too laid back to get a good education. Now my biggest fear is how not-laid-back it really is. What I mean by that is you can study constantly every day and still feel like you got your butt kicked on a test. On the other hand if you study the material they will make sure you pass. I too have considered getting Lasik but I'm too afraid of the risks, as infrequent as they may be. My neighbor is a 4th year ophthalmology resident and she told me she has seen people come back in after the operation with their eye flap hanging open because after they cut the flap back it doesn't heal closed but rather is held by the stickiness. I don't really know, that's just what she said. Try to have fun in your last few months before coming to Galveston; that's the only way to make the time go by. Email me if you have any more Galveston or UTMB questions. -Brian

Hey all,

This is so cool, I have been reading all your posting, and I am just as excited as you all are, but at the same time I am also a little nervous. To all the longhorns in here, hook 'em

I have been accepted to the class of 2009 and am looking forward to beginning gross in August. I am defending my doctoral dissertation in the grad school this summer at UTMB and have been on the island for a little over 5 years. I am a nontraditional student, as I am 32 (spent four years with the marines as a hospital corpsman) and have been married for almost 13 years and my wife and I have a 10 year old son. One of the reasons I wanted to do my medical education at UTMB is I know the passion of the faculty and the friendliness of the UTMB community. Looking to meeting y'all as new classmates at the end of the summer.
mike

So did y'all receive that email about the security forms? A little too late, thank you very much. I left most of it blank!

that form is probably for the prison hospital. does it say TDCJ on it?

How is the financial aid system at UTMB? Are scholarships rare? Everybody take out loans?

Btw, do any of you current students participate in work-study? There was a question on FAFSA that asked whether or not there was any interest in doing work-study. I indicated yes...

kaleidoscope83 said:
How is the financial aid system at UTMB? Are scholarships rare? Everybody take out loans?

Btw, do any of you current students participate in work-study? There was a question on FAFSA that asked whether or not there was any interest in doing work-study. I indicated yes...

I don't think there will be time to do a work study in med school. Unless you find an easy one where you can sit around and study all day :p

drfunktacular said:
I sent an e-mail asking if it was ok that I mailed my tdcj form with some fields blank, and they said no problem. Current students, I would be interested in hearing more about fraternities... everyone I know who went that way loves/d it. Congrats all,

chris

and the obligate: http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7906086

Thanks for doing the leg work for me! I was too lazy to email them. :p

btw, dr. funk...use the url for the aim link. ;)

Procrastination pays off, I decided to fill out the paper work today, so TDCJ is done. So does anyone else belong to a "street gang"?

OzManTx said:
Procrastination pays off, I decided to fill out the paper work today, so TDCJ is done. So does anyone else belong to a "street gang"?

street gang member here too. I put it as an EC. I think I got in because of it. Tagging shows I am artistic and dealing w/o getting shot shows I am good with people. :thumbup:

shock827 said:
street gang member here too. I put it as an EC. I think I got in because of it. Tagging shows I am artistic and dealing w/o getting shot shows I am good with people. :thumbup:

You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

OzManTx said:
You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Pedro offers you his protection.

shock827 said:
I don't think there will be time to do a work study in med school. Unless you find an easy one where you can sit around and study all day :p

Maybe you could work at the library?

Is that movie any good? I got it off of blockbuster online but the disc was melted.

Status
Not open for further replies.