~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im pretty positive they allow opposite sex roommates at UTSW - those crazy nonconservatives! unless of course, they have mr. furley as a the apt manager
jk
but my post is open to anyone interested

Members don't see this ad.

im pretty positive they allow opposite sex roommates at UTSW - those crazy nonconservatives! unless of course, they have mr. furley as a the apt manager
jk
but my post is open to anyone interested

haha... mr furley was great, and the Ropers couldn't hold a candle to him.

congrats to everyone who just got in.

Hi all,
I was recently accepted off the wailtist. I was wondering if anyone accepted off the waitlist received any kind of info other than the acceptance offer by mail? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I was recently accepted off the wailtist. I was wondering if anyone accepted off the waitlist received any kind of info other than the acceptance offer by mail? thanks

No other mail yet, but yesterday Wes Norred sent out an email saying we should expect a series of emails with info. Right after that I received an email to set up my school email account.

For financial aid, I wouldn't wait around too long. If you have already filled out your FAFSA, call the finaid office and make sure they know. (Don't let the person who answers the phones blow you off) I didn't get anything until after I called and spoke with my assigned finaid counselor. The next day I got my finaid package by email.

We were told in the spring to start sending in our immunizations and transcripts. I would ask for the information about where to send those and which immunization papers to send if you guys haven't gotten that information already. Other than that I don't think there's a lot that you've missed. Congrats!!!!

Yeay! So, I recently got off the waitlist and I was wondering if anybody is still looking for a female roomate in medpark.

And does anyone know if there are still apartments in medpark for 2/2 or it's everybody on the waitlist?

I'll be an MS2 and am moving out of a one bedroom of med-park. I don;t know about there 2 bedroom situation but I would suggest you get on their waitlist quicly if your interested in that.

I'm pretty sure there's a long waitlist for 1 bedrooms, and they've already given some of them away (I was fortunate enough to get one). Like FastForward said, I think the best thing to do would be to call the office to see if you can get on that waitlist. You might also want to try the facebook group, I believe there were some people there looking for roomates for Medpark.

Also, is anybody else having trouble opening the link to set up the new e-mail account? I get as far as the black page and then I can't open the "Student Quick Reference" link. :S

You have to set up the VPN thing first and connect to it...search for Cisco VPN on the website.

if anyone's interested...i'm still looking for a roommate (im female). i think rent's ~ $550 at medpark plus utilities (?) & the lease starts Aug 1st.

i'm hearing a lot of talk about buying a computer. i have a toshiba that i used in undergrad and it seems perfectly fine. i don't see the need for buying another one. i think i read somewhere that southwestern does not only support apple or dell... so i don't understand why so many people need to buy computers...

UTSW doesn't support Windows Vista. And they're not compatible with Internet Explorer 7 if I remember their email correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm hearing a lot of talk about buying a computer. i have a toshiba that i used in undergrad and it seems perfectly fine. i don't see the need for buying another one. i think i read somewhere that southwestern does not only support apple or dell... so i don't understand why so many people need to buy computers...

I agree. And like potato said, their system doesn't support a lot of the new *cooler ;)* programs such as vista. I'll just work with mine until it gives up, I think, since buying a new one would be a good chunk of money otherwise...it's only about 1.5 years old.

UTSW doesn't support Windows Vista. And they're not compatible with Internet Explorer 7 if I remember their email correctly.

According to the IR website, they will drop support for XP and begin support of Vista on September 17th.

According to the IR website, they will drop support for XP and begin support of Vista on September 17th.

Actually it's Microsoft Office 2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) that they begin support of on 9/17.

c&p from the website (current as of 6/14):

UTSouthwestern and Vista
While UTSouthwestern supports the most recent release of many applications, Microsoft Vista and Internet Explorer 7 are not supported. When buying or upgrading a PC, you need to make sure it comes with Windows XP (not Vista). Any new Windows-based PC purchased with Windows XP will come with a certificate for a free upgrade to Vista.

Important: If you do not ask for Windows XP, Vista will be installed with new computers. We have asked that any requests for computers with Vista through Purchasing or through Austin Ribbon be bounced back. While Dell is a partner provider, they will not ship a computer with XP unless it is specifically requested.

Well, if the school does not offer support for vista, does that mean that vista will definately have problems with the programs an MS1 would use? or does it just mean that the school will not help you if you do encounter problems?

Have any MS1s used vista successfully? or are those who have vista doomed?

I have vista, and I am kind of worried.

Well, if the school does not offer support for vista, does that mean that vista will definately have problems with the programs an MS1 would use? or does it just mean that the school will not help you if you do encounter problems?

Have any MS1s used vista successfully? or are those who have vista doomed?

I have vista, and I am kind of worried.

off the site again... one of the reasons we can't use Vista/IE7:

The software does not work with commonly used applications at UTSouthwestern.
Epic does not work in Internet Explorer 7.
GroupWise 7, the Novell client1 and ZENworks2 (the Mednet Menu application launcher) do not work on Vista.
Many programs tested at UT were either not working or only partially working. Problems were found with multiple applications, including the VPN software, Sophos AntiVirus, and the iPrint client. Other programs are still being tested.
Vista installs IE7 by default and will not allow IE7 to be rolled back to a previous version of Internet Explorer.

so basically you can't gain access to UTSW's intranet and do things like download mp3s off the curriculum page to your own machine (which you need VPN for). Also you can't use GroupWise software for email... but there's still the less convenient UTSW web-based email so maybe you can get around that. But basically life is much easier with XP and IE6... maybe someone who's more computer savvy can shed some light on this stuff.

Looks like you're right. I guess I misread the site.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been address before, but how long does it take to walk from Med Park to classes? Or does everybody just take the shuttle?

For Medpark, do we need put all the utilities under our name before moving in, or does it get done automatically with our assignment?

I don't want to get there and find I have no water/electricity/gas, etc.

Do they have parking space available at the school?

plenty of parking... there's a garage and an adjacent lot which are basically right across the street from the school. parking fee is ~ $75/year.

For Medpark, do we need put all the utilities under our name before moving in, or does it get done automatically with our assignment?

I don't want to get there and find I have no water/electricity/gas, etc.

Only electricity to start on your move in date.

hey guys!! I just posted on our facebook group wall...
But....I was wondering if we have to buy/will need a stethoscope for MS0??
Also, are we expected to be CPR certified? I know it would be helpful, I just don't know if the school provides us with a course to attend...

other than that..I'm really excited to meet everyone! anyone want to do an informal gathering later on in julY???

ooo..also...have all of you already signed up for the big sib/lil sib program??

hey guys!! I just posted on our facebook group wall...
But....I was wondering if we have to buy/will need a stethoscope for MS0??
Also, are we expected to be CPR certified? I know it would be helpful, I just don't know if the school provides us with a course to attend...

no to both, but the school has you do Basic Life Support training in the spring.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

ooo..also...have all of you already signed up for the big sib/lil sib program??

No, I haven't...I didn't even know they had one. Do you have more info?

well...i was just kind of looking around the website..and under the secure student applications (where you find all the roommate bulletins and stuff)
they have a link to a big sib/lil sib application..i mean that's all that there was there ..so i just kind of went ahead and filled it out..but i haven't gotten any response or inquired about it for that matter...see if you can check it out!

Has anyone that was recently pulled off the waitlist gotten anything except the acceptance letter? Shouldn't they send a packet or something, maybe with the info for what we need for the fall?? I'm really worried because I changed my address and I wouldn't want to miss anything important...

I have another question for anybody who's lived at MedPark (preferrably recently) or is currently living there. I need to know approximately how expensive the bills will be each month...just an estimate of what I should expect to pay for gas/water/etc. (Send a PM if you'd prefer it that way)

so about computers and windows vista... I finally spoke with someone in Information Resouces, and he said that Vista will not work with most software, and Vista cannot access the school/library stuff remotely. BUT they are hoping to be Vista compatable in 3-6 months.

I have another question for anybody who's lived at MedPark (preferrably recently) or is currently living there. I need to know approximately how expensive the bills will be each month...just an estimate of what I should expect to pay for gas/water/etc. (Send a PM if you'd prefer it that way)

$50-100/month for the larger one bedroom depending on use.

Has anyone actually signed a lease yet. I got my assignment back in April but dont know what the next step is before move in on August 8th.

Thanks

Has anyone actually signed a lease yet. I got my assignment back in April but dont know what the next step is before move in on August 8th.

Thanks

For med park, the only thing you need to do before you sign a lease is sign up for utilities. You will need the confirmation number when you sign the lease and move in.

Hey guys, I've not checked back in studentdoctor after the interview seasons. Just can't wait to start the semester as well as enjoy the summer.

For med park, the only thing you need to do before you sign a lease is sign up for utilities. You will need the confirmation number when you sign the lease and move in.

Will they contact us about this? I haven't gotten anything from them about utilities yet; how does it work?

For people who have both a subsidized stafford loan and an unsubsidized stafford, how many MPN's did you have to electronically sign? The online fulfillment system brought up a total of four, but only let me sign two and when I went back in to check it brought up another two so I had like a total of six and could only sign two.

I'm guessing that one is for the sub loan and one is for the unsub loan, but would like to confirm.