~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
next week, eh? I'll be out of town. too bad I can't meet some of you. I know y'all must be devastated ;)

Members don't see this ad.

UTSW seniors matched this week. If you're interested in the competitive specialties: A dozen got into anesthesia, 10 into rads, 1 neurosurg, 3 ENT, 4 derm, 6 orthopedics, 5 ophthalmology, 1 rad onc, 3 urology, and 1 plastics (by a rough count).

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW seniors matched this week. If you're interested in the competitive specialties: A dozen got into anesthesia, 10 into rads, 1 neurosurg, 3 ENT, 4 derm, 6 orthopedics, 5 ophthamology, 1 rad onc, 3 urology, and 1 plastics (by a rough count).

Wow, that list looks very nice. :) Thanks for the info!

Just checking in to see if anyone knows about recent WL movement..?

Thread has been kind of quiet considering MS0 day is tommorow.

Thread has been kind of quiet considering MS0 day is tommorow.

Hope y'all have a kickass time. Tomorrow afternoon is a neuro exam, so we might be a little tired when you see us. But apparently the MS1s are gonna celebrate at Suede on Greenville tomorrow night and they're expecting some MS0s to come out.

Hope y'all have a kickass time. Tomorrow afternoon is a neuro exam, so we might be a little tired when you see us. But apparently the MS1s are gonna celebrate at Suede on Greenville tomorrow night and they're expecting some MS0s to come out.

Hey Potato, can you give us your opinion on which first-year books it's important for us to buy, and which not? I'm mostly hoping that cheap used ones will appear when the school year is over, but if I happen to run into anything cheap between now and then, I plan on scooping it up.

Hey Potato, can you give us your opinion on which first-year books it's important for us to buy, and which not? I'm mostly hoping that cheap used ones will appear when the school year is over, but if I happen to run into anything cheap between now and then, I plan on scooping it up.

Only course I actually read a book for was anatomy. I'd get the Netter's Atlas/CD and the Grant's Dissector. For anatomy concepts, I really liked Clinically Oriented Anatomy (5th ed.) by Moore & Dalley.

The only other book I ever bought was biochemistry (Devlin). I opened it maybe twice and never used it again. So don't think you have to buy it when the biochem instructors email your class to tell you to have the first two chapters of the "required" book read by the first week. Get a feel for your classes before deciding whether a book would help. Since the syllabus has most of the information and the lectures have all of it, you're likely not to need books.

Ok so my padres and I are starting to talk apartments, car, cable, internet, etc. What's the deal? Are there apartments from the university or do people like the condo scene? I'm pretty psyched now that I know I'm going to be coming home to Texas for med school. Also thanks for setting me up with a link to this thread Potato.

So, news... I never heard anyone mention this at MS0 Day but I found the greatest apartment complex near the school today.

www.cityvilleswmd.com

It's two blocks from not only the Medical Center but the part where we'll be for the first two years. It's huuuuuge and the whole first floor will be retail of which they've already contracted a Starbuck's. Right now they're giving students half off all the application fees (ends up being $210, $100 refundable) and a full year of construction specials good for a year lease (about $100 off). They will be done building in June and they are holding places up until AUGUST! The construction special will disappear late April. Brand new places and tons of good ones with downtown views still left. It has a very modern and new inside and outside. Their model had West End furniture and that's a good idea of the style (except it has carpet, which actually isn't that bad). Garden tub, gorgeous kitchen, balconies. It made me second guess living further away from the school and almost convinced me to rent instead of own (for about half a day, lol).

If you want to live near the school check this one out. Med Park 1 brs are gone never to return.....

how'd MS0 go? any of you go to Suede?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i was there....nice scene...a ridiculous amount of cops on greenville though..

So, news... I never heard anyone mention this at MS0 Day but I found the greatest apartment complex near the school today.

www.cityvilleswmd.com

It's two blocks from not only the Medical Center but the part where we'll be for the first two years. It's huuuuuge and the whole first floor will be retail of which they've already contracted a Starbuck's. Right now they're giving students half off all the application fees (ends up being $210, $100 refundable) and a full year of construction specials good for a year lease (about $100 off). They will be done building in June and they are holding places up until AUGUST! The construction special will disappear late April. Brand new places and tons of good ones with downtown views still left. It has a very modern and new inside and outside. Their model had West End furniture and that's a good idea of the style (except it has carpet, which actually isn't that bad). Garden tub, gorgeous kitchen, balconies. It made me second guess living further away from the school and almost convinced me to rent instead of own (for about half a day, lol).

If you want to live near the school check this one out. Med Park 1 brs are gone never to return.....
Why? $715 - $790 for an efficiency seems like a really bad deal. Plus those corrugated aluminum exteriors (like on storage buildings) are fugly IMHO.

Why? $715 - $790 for an efficiency seems like a really bad deal. Plus those corrugated aluminum exteriors (like on storage buildings) are fugly IMHO.

In terms of places near the school, Inwood on the Park, although made of brick, looks old to me in a dated and not quaint way. Cityplace looks like it will attract a little more urban, trendy crowd. The inside is very nice and stylish, not to mention brand new, free of stains, and clean. I haven't seen what you get for cheaper, but I assume it's like what I lived in during college. I suppose some people would want to move up. You get what you pay for. 5225 Maple seems to have similar pricing, but here you get the promise of a Starbucks sometime in the new future under you, better/higher views of downtown, and again, a brand new space.

I think this place is for someone who is comparing living in an apartment in Uptown to living near the medical school. Same style and inside, similar types of people, but $200-300 less.

Anyone want to fill us in on interesting tidbits from MS-0 weekend?

Hmm... Lots of money talk. We'll get around $1800/mo with student aid. Something that stood out to me that I've never heard before was if you get aid scholarships and loans and reject all the loans, you're not going to get more aid scholarships the next year because you obviously don't need them. There is a dean solely for student research which blows my mind. Although we have one of the biggest schools in the nation AND all of us are on the same campus, I feel like we have a lot of support with the deans. Remember learning about how G proteins are named after this man named Gilman? He's our head dean. Also, we won't have our exact schedule posted on the website until about a week before classes. Almost everyone I met seemed very friendly and laid back. There were maybe... 90 of us there? Maybe less since there were a good amount of guests.

Like Spinkibrio said, lots of money talk. Besides that, we had a lot of seminars/panels to ask questions.

I was very suprised by the abundance of research opportunities, some of which even appealed to me (I've never had much interest in it, but they offer both bench and clinical research opportunities). It seems like if you want to do research Southwestern is the place to be, they are very supportive about it.

A lot of questions about lifestyle, whether the budget is manageable (everyone agreed ~1800/mo. is enough to live with for 1 person), about the city. I was very relieved to see that Dallas actually offers entertainment/shopping/living opportunities in bulk, but maybe that's because I went to college in a small town and it just was a bigger deal to me.

Everyone seemed very normal and relaxed, and it seemed like most people were pretty excited to be there (there were a few who were still deciding between UTSW and others).

I had a blast, the whole weekend made the whole thing seem much more real. :D

I was very suprised by the abundance of research opportunities, some of which even appealed to me (I've never had much interest in it, but they offer both bench and clinical research opportunities). It seems like if you want to do research Southwestern is the place to be, they are very supportive about it.

Did they discuss how to get a research opportunity (even better if funded!) for the summer or for a year-off?

Did they discuss how to get a research opportunity (even better if funded!) for the summer or for a year-off?

Your summer research is funded with a stipend ~$3000, which is typical for most med schools. This page has a lot of info, including year-long research programs (see left): http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept25793/files/126610.html.

The 2007 Projects link should have a list of potential mentors for you. You can contact them and see if their project is still available. Or you can browse the projects list for past years or even the faculty directory and find someone whose research interests you, and you can email them directly and see if they have anything for you that the school can support for the 10-week internship.

If none of that works, contact Dr. Michael McPhaul (info at bottom of link provided) directly and he can definitely help you out.

I did a research project last summer *coughexcusetoleaveHoustonearlierthannecessarycoughcough* and had a great time. If you attend most of the research seminars, you get some kind of transcript credit for "Methods in Research" or something like that.

Hey guys,

I'm in the top 10 percent of the WL, so I think it's likely I'll get into UTSW eventually. Have most of y'all already gone apartment hunting? I have a week off coming up and I could make a trip up to Dallas to look (put my name on lists maybe, but of course do no signing)... should I? Next chance I'd get would be early to mid-June.

Obviously, I'm also looking where I already have an acceptance ;)

Hey guys,

I'm in the top 10 percent of the WL, so I think it's likely I'll get into UTSW eventually. Have most of y'all already gone apartment hunting? I have a week off coming up and I could make a trip up to Dallas to look (put my name on lists maybe, but of course do no signing)... should I? Next chance I'd get would be early to mid-June.

Obviously, I'm also looking where I already have an acceptance ;)

I think for most places it's kind of early to finalize (they only know which places are going to be open in the next 30 days) but I think it's definately worth it to figure out which area you want to be in and which building.

I remember something about background checks at MS0, are they going to send us the information about getting those done in the mail?

I know how we should take care of the vaccine stuff, but am not sure about the background checks.

I remember something about background checks at MS0, are they going to send us the information about getting those done in the mail?

I know how we should take care of the vaccine stuff, but am not sure about the background checks.

I remember doing that online. They'll send info on it in the summer. You have to get it done in time before classes start. You won't hear anything back from the agency if your record is clear though.

Fellow MS1 here saying congrats and welcome to UTSW. Feel free to ask any questions about med school.

Toodles.

if y'all have been curious... unfortunately(?) talks about a 1st semester pass-fail system have been tabled for now. they might consider it in future years though.

Hello fellow future classmates! Are any of you guys planning on doing research this summer? And if so have you found a position? I have been emailing like crazy and ive only gotten 2 replies and both of them said their positions were filled. I kno at MSO day they said that summer research is guaranteed for us, so what do we do if we still havent found one? Also how do we go about finding a summer sublease, is there any way we can contact MS1s or MS2s about summer subleases? Heeelp Im stressin out!

OMG waitlist movement pleeeease

any current students have inside info :laugh:

Hello fellow future classmates! Are any of you guys planning on doing research this summer? And if so have you found a position? I have been emailing like crazy and ive only gotten 2 replies and both of them said their positions were filled. I kno at MSO day they said that summer research is guaranteed for us, so what do we do if we still havent found one? Also how do we go about finding a summer sublease, is there any way we can contact MS1s or MS2s about summer subleases? Heeelp Im stressin out!

Welcome! I'm going to be doing summer research... I'm working with one of my dad's friends. I would stay away from the 2007 list, they do all seem to be taken. Try emailing people from past years lists. They probably didn't have the time to fill out another form but they know a student will contact them so they'll do it later. Or you could try to find someone through a faculty search (it will take a lot of emails but it's worked for a lot of friends at my undergrad).

Ohhhh Financial Aid.

Its getting more and more real!

(This is probably the first and last time I'll be excited to see thousands of dollars in loans)

Just finished reading the entire thread to catch up with my future classmates. Am excited to meet you all in August! :) (and some earlier!)

I'm hoping to start a lab rotation in early-mid June. Am looking for housing, preferably within walking/biking/shuttling distance of the school, e.g., MedPark.

FYI: the student research program starts about May 28 though you could speak with McPhaul if you need to start later i.e. Stanford doresn't finish until sometime in June etc. Inwood on the Park is also across the street from N. campus and some people stay there if they can't get into med park early. Hope this helps.

Thanks, FastFoward!

Just found a roommate for a 2bdr at MedPark, yay ^^

As for research, I'm really eager to start asap but, yes, it's a bit difficult with my college/graduation schedule & whatnot.

School starts in mid-August as I understand? Gosh I hope I get at least 2 full months in the lab. How many people manage to continue the research part time (e.g., every Friday afternoon perhaps?) during M1?

School starts in mid-August as I understand? Gosh I hope I get at least 2 full months in the lab. How many people manage to continue the research part time (e.g., every Friday afternoon perhaps?) during M1?

That doesn't sound like something to plan on... I expect that we'll be distressingly busy without any research. This won't be the first time period during which I become essentially an uninteresting person, with no time to read anything that isn't required by work/study -- but that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to it! But maybe potato or the other current student that stopped in briefly can give you actual information, which of course most of us can't.

Here's another question for them while they're here -- I was reading some complaints elsewhere about studying for microbiology/immunology... from curiosity, I looked at our curriculum outline from the interview packet, and we don't have any classes with those titles. Are those subjects covered during the "General Principles" of year 2 or at some point in year 1?

As for research, I'm really eager to start asap but, yes, it's a bit difficult with my college/graduation schedule & whatnot.

curious - are you doing a "lab rotation" as a MSTP or a MD student? I can't think of anyone who continued research into their 1st semester. I'd wait a little bit after MS1 starts before deciding to head back into the lab - you'll find you'll have little time for that stuff though.

Here's another question for them while they're here -- I was reading some complaints elsewhere about studying for microbiology/immunology... from curiosity, I looked at our curriculum outline from the interview packet, and we don't have any classes with those titles. Are those subjects covered during the "General Principles" of year 2 or at some point in year 1?

yep, those topics are MS2 material.

curious - are you doing a "lab rotation" as a MSTP or a MD student? I can't think of anyone who continued research into their 1st semester. I'd wait a little bit after MS1 starts before deciding to head back into the lab - you'll find you'll have little time for that stuff though.

I was hoping to have some anonymity in this forum but oh well, what's the point :p I'm MSTP. Just accepted the offer; I suppose all the details/info I need should arrive in my mailbox soon. I guess the decision to continue during M1 would also depend on my supervisor, how the project goes in the summer, etc. Just curious about the possibility though, b/c I heard some schools make M1 easier/freer than M2, thus allowing for free research/extracurricular time.

Does anyone know the difference between all the loans at UTSW???

how are you guys going about finding roommates?

Have you guys gotten your FinAid packages yet?!?

I haven't gotten mine. :(

Have you guys gotten your FinAid packages yet?!?

I haven't gotten mine. :(

Maybe that means its going to be a whole ton of money!

I would contact them about it.

Alternatively, you can try logging in here. Use your login/password that you used for the secondary.

anyone gonna be in Dallas this summer for research? what are your summer plans? Hope y'all find something fun/relaxing to do this summer before it all begins in mid-August.

Maybe that means its going to be a whole ton of money!

I would contact them about it.

Alternatively, you can try logging in here. Use your login/password that you used for the secondary.

Yay! I got it! Thanks for the link, if it weren't for SDN and you guys I would have just kept on waiting...it's weird still that they never sent me a notification.

At this point, does UTSW notify applicant of acceptance via both email and paper mail?

Did anyone else already complete the loan entrance counseling online?

I started freaking out when that loan debt/repayment calculator came up and told me that in order to afford repayment on ~$130,000 of loans I need to make something like $250K/year.

Oh yeah, and in accordance with a resident's salary ($35-37K/year) you should not borrow more than $21,000.

I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. :scared:

PS: Has anyone heard anything about the background check?? I haven't gotten any e-mails with instructions or anything else for that matter.