~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. I've been reading the entire thread for the past couple hours..trying deperately not to study..

What have been your experiences so far? Can you answer the questions that you once asked on the forum 1 year ago? (Re: Competitiveness, grading, atmosphere, curriculum)

Impart your wisdom on the next class!

Thanks!

Btw: My parents live in Plano. What are the advantages/disadvantages of living with parents rather than rooming with anoth MS1? (besides the obvious financial benefit). Do you miss out on a lot? I've never commuted, and have always lived on campus in undergrad, and I imagine that commuting during undergrad would not be very fun..is it the same for med? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I've been reading the entire thread for the past couple hours..trying deperately not to study..

What have been your experiences so far? Can you answer the questions that you once asked on the forum 1 year ago? (Re: Competitiveness, grading, atmosphere, curriculum)

Impart your wisdom on the next class!

Thanks!

Btw: My parents live in Plano. What are the advantages/disadvantages of living with parents rather than rooming with anoth MS1? (besides the obvious financial benefit). Do you miss out on a lot? I've never commuted, and have always lived on campus in undergrad, and I imagine that commuting during undergrad would not be very fun..is it the same for med? Thanks!

I know someone who lives at home in Plano right now... I think my concern would be less about living at home (many of us are jealous of those that have that social network and home cooked meals) and more concerned about the distance of Plano. I hate driving and any worry about a wreck on the highway when I'm driving to a test would just drive me crazy. Most all the social stuff happens around Uptown and Lemmon, which would also drive me crazy if I lived far away. At the same time, I wouldn't live in Med Park with a student. I know that I can't live with roommates (I need unwind/privacy time) and I know that I need a certain separation from school (I'm in Uptown). I feel like more of a "real" person this way and less of a student. Just think of whatever living situation you've had that's made you happiest and done best in school and repeat. Your comfort and happiness needs to be priority number one.

Curriculum is great, competitiveness is absent, atmosphere is what you make of it. This isn't college where everything is done for you anymore. You will have to work to create your own atmosphere, you will work to make friends, you will work to surround yourself with friends who don't go to the school, you will have to do things that make you happy yourself. The school gives you a great starting point--they accept really cool kids, give you carrels to create a more social study environment, and have lots of school-wide events. Grading is rough on the psyche, but fair. In all classes you will have a general bell curve to give 20% Cs 30% Bs 30% B+s 20% As. Where you fall will most likely be in the B range because that's where most people fall. You have to learn to be okay with working your ass off and getting less reward than usual. It doesn't mean your not going to get the residency you want, it's just SW's way of doing things.

I love the school, you should consider it highly.