******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have 208 days or 4,992 hours or 299,520 minutes or 17,971,200 seconds until the first day of classes. Yes, I am bored.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey kids,

First, congrats on your acceptance. I am hoping, even praying, and pretty much devoting all of my time to thinking about getting in to UT Houston. Feb 15 can't come soon enough. It's either going to make or break Valentine's Night.

Question about the letter post interview from Dr. Kellaway. What a am suspecting is that everyone got (obviously you all did) that thank you letter. I had my interview Dec 1, and am curious if this letter might have any implications on a possible acceptance or preference. I would assume (and am pretty sure) it does not. If anyone wants to do any detective work or has speculations of their own, please feel free to reply.

Hey kids,

First, congrats on your acceptance. I am hoping, even praying, and pretty much devoting all of my time to thinking about getting in to UT Houston. Feb 15 can't come soon enough. It's either going to make or break Valentine's Night.

Question about the letter post interview from Dr. Kellaway. What a am suspecting is that everyone got (obviously you all did) that thank you letter. I had my interview Dec 1, and am curious if this letter might have any implications on a possible acceptance or preference. I would assume (and am pretty sure) it does not. If anyone wants to do any detective work or has speculations of their own, please feel free to reply.

Just wanted to wish you Good Luck! :luck: ...and I don't think the letter means anything, just a thank you for checking out the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey kids,

Yeah, know what you mean about that. Not only can I NOT be with my boyfriend on Valentine's but I also have to be at my parent's house watching my sister while they are out of town. The only person who can console me will be my little sister ;) Oh boy, it could be a rough night :confused:

Shameless just for the hell of it bump.

Anyone else trying to figure out finaid stuff?

Oh yes...they haven't updated their finaid website yet... I am thinking we may have to wait until after the match.

I went ahead and did my FAFSA but nothing else. It was nice to finally see an EFC of 0. Maybe the government will give me more money unlike undergrad :) Oohhhh stupid FAFSA..... :) What else is there to do after that?

I went ahead and did my FAFSA but nothing else. It was nice to finally see an EFC of 0. Maybe the government will give me more money unlike undergrad :) Oohhhh stupid FAFSA..... :) What else is there to do after that?
There's an institutional form too but they haven't updated yet last time I looked.

Did you put family info down?

Yeah I did family info. When you get to it the FAFSA actually says you can skip it but that some schools such as medical and nursing will want it so I went ahead and put it down. I still got that zero EFC :) I think med schools usually want it just for grants scholarships etc.

Bumpity :) I have to admit that I bought an old copy of First Aid for the Step 1 this weekend. :laugh:

I think that proves just how psyched I am.

(Don't worry it was at half price books and only like $4)

I have this book too.

Our guns are pretty big.

HALF PRICE BOOKS ROCKS BEST BOOKSTORE IN TEH WORLD BY FAR!!!!!

I had lunch with a Houston MS1 and she estimated that approx. 25 MS1's had withdrawn during the Fall semester. She said that there is help for these students, but that seems like an awful lot of withdrawals......can a present student confirm/deny this number.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had lunch with a Houston MS1 and she estimated that approx. 25 MS1's had withdrawn during the Fall semester. She said that there is help for these students, but that seems like an awful lot of withdrawals......can a present student confirm/deny this number.

I am not sure about the current MS1 class but I am a MSII and we lost around 20 students our first year. I think it mostly had to do with hurricaine Rita falling right in the middle of our first round of tests. Alot of students took a year off and then came back.

I am not sure about the current MS1 class but I am a MSII and we lost around 20 students our first year. I think it mostly had to do with hurricaine Rita falling right in the middle of our first round of tests. Alot of students took a year off and then came back.

Thanks for the info....My friend's theory was that because all her classmates are very smart people, most of these students had never struggled with grades before, and thus were having difficulty dealing with "not being the best anymore"....she says that med. school will definitely humble most.....She also said that the school has a great support system to help students deal with these and other problems.

I just talked to my friend who is an MSI and she says its not true at all. They've lost about 20 people but then went to the AP program, they did not drop out. Here's the exact copy paste from when I asked her if she had heard about 25 people dropping out.

"Nope not true. Our whole class is still here. We have had about 20 people go AP but for different reasons. Two girls had babies and decided that they couldn't bear to not spend more time with their kids. Some people decided it was too much work and just went AP and some were not passing."

So that's what I know. :D

I just talked to my friend who is an MSI and she says its not true at all. They've lost about 20 people but then went to the AP program, they did not drop out. Here's the exact copy paste from when I asked her if she had heard about 25 people dropping out.

"Nope not true. Our whole class is still here. We have had about 20 people go AP but for different reasons. Two girls had babies and decided that they couldn't bear to not spend more time with their kids. Some people decided it was too much work and just went AP and some were not passing."

So that's what I know. :D

20 is still quite a bit after one semester alone:eek:

Well you can only really switch to the AP in the first semester (well I guess you could switch later but why do it so late in the game). Med school is hard and I guess you up your chances if you switch early if you really feel the heat is too much. I think at other schools lots of people would want to switch too if they had the option. And out of such a large class it doesn't really worry me too much. I kinda think its nice you have the chance to slow it down if you need to rather than be on the border/fail. But that's just me :)

Well you can only really switch to the AP in the first semester (well I guess you could switch later but why do it so late in the game). Med school is hard and I guess you up your chances if you switch early if you really feel the heat is too much. I think at other schools lots of people would want to switch too if they had the option. And out of such a large class it doesn't really worry me too much. I kinda think its nice you have the chance to slow it down if you need to rather than be on the border/fail. But that's just me :)
AP = Alternative Pathway??

AP = Alternative Pathway??
yup. yup yup yup yup yup. I'm going to seriously need some more Texas action on SDN or I'm going to have a VERY boring weekend/week...................I'll have to start some sort of game or something on the texas thread :)

yup. yup yup yup yup yup. I'm going to seriously need some more Texas action on SDN or I'm going to have a VERY boring weekend/week...................I'll have to start some sort of game or something on the texas thread :)

dude - totally.

I have a really boring job at the moment (not all that boring - But it's 5 hours of work interjected by random 20 minutes of boredom waiting for someone to come in).

BEARS WIN 27-21 :cool:

Do you guys have any UT-Houston specific advice? I really want to go here(If I was exepted to Harvard, I'd turn it down for UT-Houston).

Do you guys have any UT-Houston specific advice? I really want to go here(If I was exepted to Harvard, I'd turn it down for UT-Houston).

Ummmmm first get accepted (as in UTH would accept you for admission to medical school) as opposed to except (as in I wouldn't go anywhere except UTH) correct :) (and I mean this in the most loving way possible. It will be important to write well in your personal statement)

But after that.....good MCAT, good shadowing, just normal stuff to get you to the interview. Then they want you to want to practice in Texas after school, and I think they want you to be passionate yet down to earth. And if you really click with your interviewer that's a plus (I seriously loved Dr. Goldschmidt!). Oh and talk to Dr. Kellaway a lot. She's great too. And once you interview you can certainly let it be known that you are seriously, seriously interested in UTH and I guess it might help if you have ties to Houston (they know you're serious about staying maybe?). That's all I can think of, maybe someone else has better specific info. Hope that helps at least a bit!

Well I'd just suggest you to into the process with an open mind.

The school I really wanted to go to when I started this process I ended up HATING and a school I thought I would loathe I found to be a decent place. And UT-Houston wasn't on my radar til I interviewed and fell in love with it. You really don't know what you're going to love until you interview there.

So that's my advice: Keep an open mind.

bump bump bump

So what is everyone doing right this second?

Personally, I have CSI New York on. And then I plan on listening to my TOTALLY pointless online class. Did you know breathing is essential to a healthy life. Yeah it is. I learned it today in an earlier lecture.

bump bump bump

So what is everyone doing right this second?

Personally, I have CSI New York on. And then I plan on listening to my TOTALLY pointless online class. Did you know breathing is essential to a healthy life. Yeah it is. I learned it today in an earlier lecture.
:laugh: Are you and I the only two active ones in our class? I swear the facebook group is a back and forth between the two of us :p

I just got done with biochem and catching up on emails. Turns out a friend from ugrad ended up at Baylor and lives in the El Paseo housing... damn it :mad: I could have snuck a peak at the housing if I'd known that at the time :p

I think that officially makes us the cool kids. For sure.

But as much as I love being the cool kids... I REALLY wish someone else would pick a funny officer name!!! ARRRRRR

Oh yeah... I read what you said about your flats in the other thread. I totally thought they were a good idea.

DEFINITELY a good idea. I wore short heels and one girl at a different interview I went to still thought I was a giant. It was kinda funny. I'm only 5'9".

I think that officially makes us the cool kids. For sure.

But as much as I love being the cool kids... I REALLY wish someone else would pick a funny officer name!!! ARRRRRR

Oh yeah... I read what you said about your flats in the other thread. I totally thought they were a good idea.

DEFINITELY a good idea. I wore short heels and one girl at a different interview I went to still thought I was a giant. It was kinda funny. I'm only 5'9".

Ha! We're the same height. Go figure. I'm usually not self-conscious of my height til someone points it out.

OMG - :eek: Hearing the story like that makes me sound like a total bitch :eek:

I so didn't mean it like that!! And actually I know of 2 current Mudpud applicants that I think are pretty cool and a couple graduates. How many MD/PhD kids are going to be in our class? I more meant it like I just hate the posturing that some people do at MD interviews. Seriously, who gives a crap? Once we're in med school we're all on an even playing field. As far as I'm concerned you get an academic clean slate when you enter med school (I know I want one, my grades are horrible!). The only thing that matters in med school is how hard you work IN med school.

I forget what the background was but you seriously told it in the funniest way. Not in a bad way I promise. It totally broke any tension there was, didn't build anything up I promise. Your fab. Snobby people are not. :) But I don't think we have ANYONE like that in our FAB UT Houston class of 2011! :):love: :love: :love:

I forget what the background was but you seriously told it in the funniest way. Not in a bad way I promise. It totally broke any tension there was, didn't build anything up I promise. Your fab. Snobby people are not. :) But I don't think we have ANYONE like that in our FAB UT Houston class of 2011! :):love: :love: :love:
Good :)

I've heard from friends already in med school that the drama in med school is almost as bad as middle school. Didn't need to get that started a few months early ;)

(Oh and last post edited to take out what you edited - if that makes sense)

Good :)

I've heard from friends already in med school that the drama in med school is almost as bad as middle school. Didn't need to get that started a few months early ;)

(Oh and last post edited to take out what you edited - if that makes sense)

Wow I think its really gotten to be just you and me girl........ Oh.. and I am NOT looking forward to drama. I don't enjoy it. :( I'll have to be the drama eraser :)

Wow I think its really gotten to be just you and me girl........ Oh.. and I am NOT looking forward to drama. I don't enjoy it. :( I'll have to be the drama eraser :)
:laugh: Which reminds me... did you live in Lechner or have you ever heard about what goes on there? If I could survive that nerd lovin'/dramafest for a year then I can survive anything ;)

:laugh: Which reminds me... did you live in Lechner or have you ever heard about what goes on there? If I could survive that nerd lovin'/dramafest for a year then I can survive anything ;)

OMG I DID LIVE THERE!!!! HAH! I love it! That's really hilarious. I totally lived there my first year! I did manage to stay out of most of the drama. oh man. Do you have any funny stories? I know there are a couple people who met in lechner than are engaged now. Which is CRAZY to me. :)

OMG I DID LIVE THERE!!!! HAH! I love it! That's really hilarious. I totally lived there my first year! I did manage to stay out of most of the drama. oh man. Do you have any funny stories? I know there are a couple people who met in lechner than are engaged now. Which is CRAZY to me. :)
Well - a girl who would have been one of your RAs and a freshman when I was there got married to a guy she met through the program. I can think of at least one other couple (but I heard through the grapevine they got divorced).

Oh man - did they still have the orgy couch when you lived there or had it been tossed yet? :laugh: Yeah I got tons of stories - that place was a riot as long as you werent' personally involved in any of the drama. ;)

Well - a girl who would have been one of your RAs and a freshman when I was there got married to a guy she met through the program. I can think of at least one other couple (but I heard through the grapevine they got divorced).

Oh man - did they still have the orgy couch when you lived there or had it been tossed yet? :laugh: Yeah I got tons of stories - that place was a riot as long as you werent' personally involved in any of the drama. ;)

Oh man! The north entrance was the main hangout, but then came the "sofo" crew who were the "rebels" or whatever. And yeah there was this couch they called the orgy couch. I never saw anything bad happen on it but I also tried to stay away. Coodies and all :) I heard they got rid of it but who knows. Its so funny when really really really smart people get together and live in a dorm. Its kinda like real world or something. hmmm we should make an intro :)

Oh man! The north entrance was the main hangout, but then came the "sofo" crew who were the "rebels" or whatever. And yeah there was this couch they called the orgy couch. I never saw anything bad happen on it but I also tried to stay away. Coodies and all :) I heard they got rid of it but who knows. Its so funny when really really really smart people get together and live in a dorm. Its kinda like real world or something. hmmm we should make an intro :)
We so started the NoFo thing... though class of '05 will claim it. Whatever :rolleyes: They were so copying '04 :smuggrin: Hmmm... so your JA would have been Crispy right (or maybe he was one of your SAs)? Isn't he at Baylor? I knew his brother better than I knew him (speaking of which I think he met his wife in Lechner but I could be wrong).

We so started the NoFo thing... though class of '05 will claim it. Whatever :rolleyes: They were so copying '04 :smuggrin: Hmmm... so your JA would have been Crispy right (or maybe he was one of your SAs)? Isn't he at Baylor? I knew his brother better than I knew him (speaking of which I think he met his wife in Lechner but I could be wrong).

Crispy!!!!!! I totally know him! Oh that's so funny! Mai and Whitney were my neighbors when I lived there. They were great SAs. oh we're so fun!!!!! NoFo was silly. I was much more of a 4th floor person. It took so much work to get up there I wasn't going to leave just to have to come back up!

bump b/c its 2 days, 15 hours, and 51 minutes until the match! Whoop!

I am praying so hard that I can join you guys this fall...:luck:

C'mon baby!!! I've never wanted anything more in my LIFE. I promise to be a good steward of what You have given me. Your will be done.

UTHouston Class of 2011???????

:cool:

To any current students who might be reading this:
How often are blue book courses offered? I know they talked alot about them on interview day but I was just curious what it was like in actuality. One lunch break a week? Two? Are they one off deals or do the lectures build on each other?

Thanks

Hey Anastasis - I'm bored at school right now so I can answer you! I'm currently a first year FYI.

Blue Book courses are all over the place, pretty much every day there is something going on that can be put in your blue book, many of them during the lunch hour [noon-1pm]. So fear not, there is as much or as little extra stuff as you could ever want! Right now there's a series on ethics in medicine, last semester we had a series on cultural humility. And there are tons of weekend volunteer projects like going to health fairs, highschools ect.

Lastly - CONGRATS TO EVERYONE! Give me a holla and GO TO THE SUMMER RETREAT. It's lots of fun and we're all really excited to put it on for you guys. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this summer we'll invite all incoming first year's to a weekend retreat the week before school starts and it's like summer camp! Except...the counselors don't molest you.

Anyways, back to the grind. www.myspace.com/sitraachra if you wanna say hi.

-zach

Hey Anastasis - I'm bored at school right now so I can answer you! I'm currently a first year FYI.

Blue Book courses are all over the place, pretty much every day there is something going on that can be put in your blue book, many of them during the lunch hour [noon-1pm]. So fear not, there is as much or as little extra stuff as you could ever want! Right now there's a series on ethics in medicine, last semester we had a series on cultural humility. And there are tons of weekend volunteer projects like going to health fairs, highschools ect.

Lastly - CONGRATS TO EVERYONE! Give me a holla and GO TO THE SUMMER RETREAT. It's lots of fun and we're all really excited to put it on for you guys. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this summer we'll invite all incoming first year's to a weekend retreat the week before school starts and it's like summer camp! Except...the counselors don't molest you.

Anyways, back to the grind. www.myspace.com/sitraachra if you wanna say hi.

-zach
Oh awesome! That's so great to hear! That was part of what I really liked about Houston - all the EC stuff. Do you know anything about the HOMES clinic? I'm interested in that but I figure I'll need to wait before I can do anything helpful (short of the stuff I do now while volunteering like vitals and histories and stuff).

Thanks again for the quick reply - I'm going to add you as a friend on Myspace in case you're wondering who that random girl is. :)

Oh awesome! That's so great to hear! That was part of what I really liked about Houston - all the EC stuff. Do you know anything about the HOMES clinic? I'm interested in that but I figure I'll need to wait before I can do anything helpful (short of the stuff I do now while volunteering like vitals and histories and stuff).
The HOMES clinic is a pretty neat thing to get involved with, and it also gives you Blue Book credit. If you can take a history, you'll be ahead of me the 1st day I showed up! The MS3 mumbled something about "LOCATES" to me as we walked in (LOCATES is the mnemonic to guide you through a history), and I was like "so...uh..what are you doing here?" I sure learned alot that day! (we subsequently learned how to actually take a history a couple months later)

So yeah, even as an MS1 you can help with the history and physical, and the MS3 will pick up whatever you missed.

Oh and there's all kinds of Blue Book-- not only are there lunch lectures series hosted by several of the clubs (as mentioned by Sitra), but there's also night-time stuff like Art of Observation (which is at the museum and really cool) and Healer's Art. And more that I can't think of now.

Good luck to all of you waiting for the match!! On this end, we're all really curious as to who will make up the new class :)

HOMES clinic is awesome in theory, just sign up freakishly early if you want to do it, they're booked for months :rolleyes:

i seriously need some Tums or something...I'm so nervous my stomach is in knots!!

Please UT Houston, PLEASE!!! :scared: