******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never heard about the BBQ second look. When and where did you hear about it? Also, when is it?
Revisit weekend is generally sometime in April. In years past, when everyone got in at the same time in February (with the match), announcements about the 2nd look were made at that time...so this year, I don't know when they will send you guys info about it. You'll probably get a formal invitation sometime after New Year's.

And, to the brave soul who had the interview with Dr.Goldschmidt..I hope she was as entertaining then as she is in class!

Members don't see this ad.

OddNath or Thanatos, how many weeks do the MS2s have off before they have to take step 1?

OddNath or Thanatos, how many weeks do the MS2s have off before they have to take step 1?

We finish up class in early may, I want to say the 4th maybe......most ppl schedule step 1 the first or second week in june. The first few days in June are popular because that will give you about a week and a half vacation before third year starts.

You get around 4 or 5 weeks if you want them.......some ppl take the test only a few days after school gets out, they figure since they just took comprehensive finals they're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
We finish up class in early may, I want to say the 4th maybe......most ppl schedule step 1 the first or second week in june. The first few days in June are popular because that will give you about a week and a half vacation before third year starts.

You get around 4 or 5 weeks if you want them.......some ppl take the test only a few days after school gets out, they figure since they just took comprehensive finals they're good to go.

The school won't allow us to take the step until june 1st unless we have a special reason. So that about 4 weeks and then you have about another 2 weeks after that, that you can take the step before third year starts. So they give us plenty of time. I am personally taking it the 1st because i am going on a scuba diving trip for a week after that :)

Anyone know when we might get a recommended textbook list?

Also I have Lehninger's Biochem - should I just hold on to this? I heard med schools use it sometimes. I'm only going to get about $10 if I sell it back :mad:

Anyone know when we might get a recommended textbook list?

Also I have Lehninger's Biochem - should I just hold on to this? I heard med schools use it sometimes. I'm only going to get about $10 if I sell it back :mad:

Read this thread. Somebody has Lehninger (I do too, hate the book) and is asking for a different resource. Hold on to it because 10 bucks isn't all that much, but I doubt you'll be using it much.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but this link is pretty cool.

http://med.uth.tmc.edu/students-current/elective-catalog-2006.htm

It is a little intimidating to see some of the procedures that they let you do as a 4th year. Under anesthesiology it says that we are allowed to place a central line with "proper supervision."

Read this thread. Somebody has Lehninger (I do too, hate the book) and is asking for a different resource. Hold on to it because 10 bucks isn't all that much, but I doubt you'll be using it much.
What pisses me off even more is I never opened the stupid thing. Everything I needed to know I got off his lecture notes and explanations from Wikipedia :laugh:

Bumpity :) I have to admit that I bought an old copy of First Aid for the Step 1 this weekend. :laugh:

I think that proves just how psyched I am.

(Don't worry it was at half price books and only like $4)

When can we put our names on the waitlist for student housing?

Originally Posted by Anastasis
Bumpity I have to admit that I bought an old copy of First Aid for the Step 1 this weekend.

I think that proves just how psyched I am.

(Don't worry it was at half price books and only like $4)

You think that is bad, I just got back from the medical center with my parents, and they bought me the Rohen and Netter anatomy books so that I can review them over this next semester. I graduated on Saturday so I won't be taking any classes in the spring, just working. I don't know how much help it will be reviewing these books, but my parents seemed pretty happy to get them for me. I'm happy because it is just two fewer books that I have to buy.:thumbup:

Hey ya'll! I am an applying student from UT and want to know the chances of me possibly matching with UT Houston over the match. I have become concerned because I had an August interview there, loved it and then got pre-match offers from UTMB and UTHSCSA. What do I do if I really really want to go to medical school and would love for it to be UT Houston??? If I declined SA and "accepted" a place at UTMB and then went into the match with UT Houston as my #1 ranked school, how high do you think my chances are for matching with Houston???

I already sent my app in; I really hope that's okay.

The El Paseo ones are really pretty :love:

I put my name on the list for a 1 bedroom but if anyone wants a roomie on a 2 bedroom one I'd be interested in that too. It's just SO much cheaper and easier to live in student housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't run off and buy too many books guys.....your second years will donate all sorts of books to you! Some of the student organizations will give you books for joining also.

For now take all the money you would spend on books and buy beer....that's what I would do ;)

Hi y'all,

I'm fairly new on SDN but I've been following all the Texas posts. I am also a member of the UTH class of 2011!!!! It sure was nice to receive that "You're In Congratulations" e-mail on 11/15.

I am a Houstonian and work right in the TMC across from UT-H. If you have any questions about Houston or TMC let me know. I'll do my best to answer what I know.

Can't wait to meet y'all!!

If the waitlist is anything like it's been in previous years, then I wouldn't put your name on it until February. It's my understanding that each February they start a new waitlist so if you put your name on it now, you'll end up paying the application fee twice.

does anyone know if UT-H will offer any scholarship money along with their offer or later on? Is this something that they offer with their offer of acceptance?

thanks for any info

From what I have heard, people got scholarships with their acceptance. I suppose if people with scholarships end up not going that more could be given out, but yeah... so far its been sent with the pre-match acceptance.

From what I have heard, people got scholarships with their acceptance. I suppose if people with scholarships end up not going that more could be given out, but yeah... so far its been sent with the pre-match acceptance.
Yup. What she said. Plus, if you did get a scholarship, it will mention it in your email but you need to wait for the packet to find out exactly how much. :luck:

Hi y'all,

I'm fairly new on SDN but I've been following all the Texas posts. I am also a member of the UTH class of 2011!!!! It sure was nice to receive that "You're In Congratulations" e-mail on 11/15.

I am a Houstonian and work right in the TMC across from UT-H. If you have any questions about Houston or TMC let me know. I'll do my best to answer what I know.

Can't wait to meet y'all!!

Welcome! Its nice to see some new people on here!

Hey guys, MS II here. Congratulations!! I'm glad to see so many of you so pumped about UT-Houston. It really is a great school and you have alot to look forward to.

That being said, make sure you get all your forms in, mind your financial aid, setup housing and then don't touch a damn med school book your entire summer. For those planning on working, be the best damn researcher/soldier/EMT/waiter/starbucks employee you can be, for those traveling come back with a ton of stories and no regrets.

Someone on here said they purchased a first aid. Get your hands off of that and go drink some beers and enjoy the rest of your undergrad career! Med school is hard work ... but of course its worth every second. To those still deciding, good luck with the rest of the interview season, and to those set on UTH see you in the fall! :cool:

OK. My LMFU was changed today, and I'm wondering if this is a sign of a buzzer-beating pre-match or a rejection to come. Did anyone else have a LMFU change today. HOLY MOLELY, my heart is beating fast!!!!!!!! :cool:

UT-HOUSTON Class of 2011?????????????

Hey guys, MS II here. Congratulations!! I'm glad to see so many of you so pumped about UT-Houston. It really is a great school and you have alot to look forward to.

That being said, make sure you get all your forms in, mind your financial aid, setup housing and then don't touch a damn med school book your entire summer. For those planning on working, be the best damn researcher/soldier/EMT/waiter/starbucks employee you can be, for those traveling come back with a ton of stories and no regrets.

Someone on here said they purchased a first aid. Get your hands off of that and go drink some beers and enjoy the rest of your undergrad career! Med school is hard work ... but of course its worth every second. To those still deciding, good luck with the rest of the interview season, and to those set on UTH see you in the fall! :cool:
Words from a wise man. I understand that it can be tempting as an MS0 to try to learn med-related things before school starts..b/c you've heard all these stories about how much work it is and think that any amount in advance will help...but Mikey is right. Looking back, I wish I had used that time to work more on piano, or learn another language, or become a literate person. B/c none of that is happening right now!

hey ppls!

i really liked uth when i interviewed there, and i'm from houston & have been studying across the street at rice for the past 4 years. I was set on houston, but i also got into san antonio... now i don't know which one to choose... any of you all in the same position? do you have any advice on which school is better? I know responses to this may be biased, but any advice on this decision would be appreciated greatly!

Words from a wise man. I understand that it can be tempting as an MS0 to try to learn med-related things before school starts..b/c you've heard all these stories about how much work it is and think that any amount in advance will help...but Mikey is right. Looking back, I wish I had used that time to work more on piano, or learn another language, or become a literate person. B/c none of that is happening right now!

:laugh: :laugh:

Don't worry, guys. I only bought that first aid because it was $4 on clearance. Honestly, it hasn't even been opened since the day I bought it.

My plans for the next 8 months? Beach, beer, sleep, repeat. :thumbup:

Edit: And catch up on my "for fun" reading and enjoy having the free time to actually work out because I doubt either of those will be happening in med school.

Mikie, do you have any idea how likely you are to get into the University housing. I'm sending in my application today. I applied for a spot at El Paseo which I'm asuming is harder to get into than Cambridge. Hopefully, I can get one of my choices. It is so much cheaper than the rest of the housing in that area. And if you live there/have been in there, what did you think of them? Thanks.

Mikie, do you have any idea how likely you are to get into the University housing. I'm sending in my application today. I applied for a spot at El Paseo which I'm asuming is harder to get into than Cambridge. Hopefully, I can get one of my choices. It is so much cheaper than the rest of the housing in that area. And if you live there/have been in there, what did you think of them? Thanks.
Mikey doesn't live in UT Housing so I'll answer this. I've been living there for a year and a half, and it's fine. I'm in El Paseo, and my only complaint is that living on the 3rd floor means driving a half mile in the garage just to get to my parking spot :rolleyes: For this reason, I think Cambridge could actually be a better deal-- older building, but cheaper and less driving.

In any case, I think that the new waiting list starts on January 18th. Somewhere around there. So..you'll want to get on that new waiting list. I mean, if you just sent it in, it seems like that's where your name would go, but you might want to call and make sure.

I think UT Housing is an awesome deal if you want a single apt...but if you plan to have a roommate, you could get pretty good deals elsewhere. Just my personal opinion. The shuttle can be helpful, but living along the rail would be convenient, too. (It's about a 12 minute walk to the rail from El Paseo)

Mikey doesn't live in UT Housing so I'll answer this. I've been living there for a year and a half, and it's fine. I'm in El Paseo, and my only complaint is that living on the 3rd floor means driving a half mile in the garage just to get to my parking spot :rolleyes: For this reason, I think Cambridge could actually be a better deal-- older building, but cheaper and less driving.

In any case, I think that the new waiting list starts on January 18th. Somewhere around there. So..you'll want to get on that new waiting list. I mean, if you just sent it in, it seems like that's where your name would go, but you might want to call and make sure.

I think UT Housing is an awesome deal if you want a single apt...but if you plan to have a roommate, you could get pretty good deals elsewhere. Just my personal opinion. The shuttle can be helpful, but living along the rail would be convenient, too. (It's about a 12 minute walk to the rail from El Paseo)
I emailed them about the waiting list and they said it will start on the 20th of Jan. I've already sent it in and they said they'd just wait to add me til then. :)

Thanks for the info. Do y'all have any idea when the retreat takes place? I've been looking on the website, but I haven't been able to see when previous year's retreats took place.

Anybody have any idea what an LMFU change after the pre-match would indicate? Mine changed today to 01/05. :cool:

Thanks for the info. Do y'all have any idea when the retreat takes place? I've been looking on the website, but I haven't been able to see when previous year's retreats took place.
It's usually the Friday and Saturday right before classes start. Good times.

Boy has this thread been dead? Where are you people?

t-minus 27 days and counting. C'mon UTH; you know you want me! :cool:

Do we have any new classmates now that pre-match offers have had to be picked???? (and YAY to those hoping for UTH in the match because now spots have opened up! I'm praying for ya'll!)

I posted in the Texas thread with links to all the class threads... maybe that will pull more traffic this way.

Super Dee Duper!

I figured there would be a lot more Texas chatter since it seems the whole state is iced in!

MY TMDSAS page still lists three schools, two rejected and one (houston) accepted.....plus the save button is still there......is this right? I selected (accepted) Houston weeks ago, so I did not update on the 15th, but now I'm thinking I screwed up.

MY TMDSAS page still lists three schools, two rejected and one (houston) accepted.....plus the save button is still there......is this right? I selected (accepted) Houston weeks ago, so I did not update on the 15th, but now I'm thinking I screwed up.

Mine is the same way and I saved on December 14th....I hit save again just to see what happened and it said the deadline has passed.... I hope it is ok!!!

Something is funky on the website. The save is still there for pre-match and it is gone for the match stuff. And since everything has been iced over I don't think anyone has been at TMDSAS headquarters to see the problem of fix it. I wouldn't panic yet. Its not you... its everyone ;)

I'm in school up in fort worth, and my parents offered to wait in line for me :thumbup: I'm lucky to have such great supportive parents. I'm number 37 on the list, and they said I have a great shot of getting in. :D

From a post on the facebook group:
"I just talked to the admissions office, and they said orientation is on the 15th, retreat is the 17th, and the 1st day of class is the 20th."

I wonder when the BBQ weekend will be... trying to work vacation time around it.

From a post on the facebook group:
"I just talked to the admissions office, and they said orientation is on the 15th, retreat is the 17th, and the 1st day of class is the 20th."

I wonder when the BBQ weekend will be... trying to work vacation time around it.

What about white coat?

What about white coat?
White coat would be the evening of the 15th (the end of the orientation day), or at least that's how it's been for the past couple years I've been around.

Then, retreat is starts early on the 17th and you'd be back on the 18th, early afternoon. So set aside both days~

how come its later than last year (i thought last year it was on the 9th)? I could be wrong though since...ya know... I don't go there or anything :)