******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to click that continue button too.
I see the $30 application fee.
Those fees will never stop coming if we keep paying them.
So lets boycott it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I want to click that continue button too.
I see the $30 application fee.
Those fees will never stop coming if we keep paying them.
So lets boycott it. :laugh:

I agree. If none of us pay anything, then maybe they'll just stop charging us.

Does anyone recall what the grading and ranking system is at Houston? I should probably know this already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone recall what the grading and ranking system is at Houston? I should probably know this already.

I believe it is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Marginal (Low) Pass and Fail.

I believe it is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Marginal (Low) Pass and Fail.

I think your right. I actually forgot since interview time.
At the very least biochem is graded: 90-100: Honors, 85-89 high pass, 65-84 pass, 60-64 marginal, 59 and below fail.
I imagine number breakdowns depends on each individual course.

Utlink updated a couple of things. First, Medical 2007 is listed under term (aggiesarah2007 already mentioned that), when I click on residence it has information posted (it just says resident for me), under address it now actually has my address and the option to edit it. Also, for those of you whose financial aid information has been mailed there should be information posted under the financial aid link.

Isn’t obsessively checking utlink fun?

Edit: I've been itching to press continue in the "View Bill" link just to see what happens. Anyone else do it?

Edit 2: Does anyone else show a fee of $30.00 in the "Status --> Admissions" link?

Mine shows the $30 thingie. But it also says something about Deposited. I guess it would be something to call the finaid people up to harass them about. I would just REALLY like my financial aid info! PUHLEEZE!

I really hate to ask a stethoscope question this early in the game, but I've been put in a predicament.

The parent of one of the kids I coach bought me a Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethescope as congratulations for getting into medical school. She is a nurse and her husband an anesthesiologist so I'm sure they know what they're doing. My question is will this kind of stethoscope be good enough for med school or should I consider trading it in for a more expensive model - the Cardiology III for example? Does the school have any kind of requirements or recommendations for stethoscopes?

I really hate to ask a stethoscope question this early in the game, but I've been put in a predicament.

The parent of one of the kids I coach bought me a Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethescope as congratulations for getting into medical school. She is a nurse and her husband an anesthesiologist so I'm sure they know what they're doing. My question is will this kind of stethoscope be good enough for med school or should I consider trading it in for a more expensive model - the Cardiology III for example? Does the school have any kind of requirements or recommendations for stethoscopes?

Your fine. You wont be using it much to start out with anyways.
Just try to hide your scope envy when someone with a Card III walks in the room. :D

Has anyone here started taking care of their shots that are required?

I have been putting everything off! :D

I have a master classic I've been using for a bit, it works well. My brothers bought me a cardiology III for graduation because one of them is in med school, and that was the required one. I don't know what the "requirements" are at UT-H though and yeah, atleast for the first bit it probably won't matter.

I have a master classic I've been using for a bit, it works well. My brothers bought me a cardiology III for graduation because one of them is in med school, and that was the required one. I don't know what the "requirements" are at UT-H though and yeah, atleast for the first bit it probably won't matter.

What do you use it for? Are you an EMT?

yeah I am.
the cardiology III is still sitting in its box waiting to be broken out. I couldn't even give an honest comparison.

Is everyone planning on getting a laptop that meets their requirements before the computer orientation? I was thinking about just trying to get away with the laptop I have now. Its not too bad. But I don't want to show up at computer orientation and have them sit me in the corner while everyone gets to work on their good laptops.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a kind of basic question, but where did we get our login information for UTLink? I haven't signed in yet and am not sure where we ever got a login ID and stuff.. thanks!

this is a kind of basic question, but where did we get our login information for UTLink? I haven't signed in yet and am not sure where we ever got a login ID and stuff.. thanks!

Your student ID is on the envelope that you got with all the acceptance info. Your initial password for UTLink is the month you were born in followed by the last two numbers in your birth year, a total of 4 numbers (or it may be the other way around don't quite remember).

Has anyone here started taking care of their shots that are required?

I have been putting everything off! :D

I'm so glad I took care of Hep B in high school! Personally, I would just go to your county health place. Immunizations and TB tests are much cheaper. If you have to get titers done, go to your fam doc. Usually insurance doesn't cover immunizations (but if yours does, it can be cheaper! 3 shots of hep b can get expensive sometimes). I got my DPT and TB at my county place for 15 bucks total.

Is everyone planning on getting a laptop that meets their requirements before the computer orientation? I was thinking about just trying to get away with the laptop I have now. Its not too bad. But I don't want to show up at computer orientation and have them sit me in the corner while everyone gets to work on their good laptops.

I'm sticking to my 1 year old laptop. It isn't a dual core processor, but has more than enough speed and memory. I think that is the biggest deal. If you haven't upgraded your ram before, do it now :) Ram is your friend.

I have a question for current students who use a Mac. I know you can get boot camp or whatever and run XP with no problems. I was just wondering if you actually use the mac OS very much. I have a dell right now, but it's ~2.5 years old and doesn't meet the specifications, and I'm contemplating getting a macbook or macbook pro. I've used my friends' macs before and really like them, but they are significantly more pricey than most pc's with similar stats. I guess I'm just worried that if I spend the extra money on a mac, it would be for nothing if all I use is XP.

I've asked the computer question before because I was annoyed that they "required" certain things. They really meant suggestions and I will be keeping my 1.5 y/o laptop.
I recently built a laptop on dell business that had an AMD dual core for my gf, and more then enough everything to get by for 4 years and it was $609 with the 5.5hr battery. The same one was 750 on dell home
if anyone wants a new laptop and needs help finding a deal let me know, I like to think I'm pretty good.
Otherwise if you want a dell, make sure you check out the dell business site, and the home site (they're the same computers but different prices and you don't have to be a business to use it).

If you buy a new computer I personally recommend getting it with XP and not vista because last I heard vista had compatibility issues, and when those are fix its a very cheap upgrade through the school.

an great site deals

I think they are just suggestions more than they are requirements. But online it said if you want bring your laptop and they'll configure it with UTH software or whatever. Well in the updated memo from Tiffany on the website, it says to bring the laptop for configuration. The optionalness is gone. I mean I guess I'll bring it, but for everything they want us to do, my 1 y.o. laptop should be fine. What does anyone else think about this loss of optionalness, the updated goodies, or just going to Houston in general :)?

Ok, so I'm new to taking loans. Does anyone know if we can take parts of loans and not the whole thing?

To all:

My advice: unless you're independently wealthy (generally through the Bank of Mom & Dad), take everything you're offered. There's a few reasons for this:

1. Your living expenses are only calculated for 9-9 1/2 months, so you may need to have this to pay summer rent.

2. If you end up doing research or a preceptorship next summer, the extra cash on hand can help you pay the bills. Additionally, with summer research, you get paid as an employee in most cases—biweekly—so you're likely to have a gap between the funds for the spring and your first real paychecks for the summer.

3. If you don't want to do research or a preceptorship, you can use the funds to help you travel and visit friends; participate in, say, a medical mission or summer language/service program; etc.

4. You don't want to be worrying about money when you're cramming for tests late in the year. And if you don't end up using all of it, you can always start paying loans back. (Effectively, you'll have taken a short-term loan and will be out your origination fee and any interest accrued over a few months.)

where's the buzz? i just received my finaid package yesterday.

when do we register, btw? UT Link gives me nothing.

You don't register; you're automatically assigned to all MS-1 classes.

For most people in my class, the only things people used their stethoscopes for in first year were to practice elements of the physical exam for Intro to Clinical Medicine, to perform said exams in that class, and while rounding with faculty when they set up shadowing days. Some others may have used it in work at the HOMES clinic and in medical service work over Spring Break.

As long as you feel comfortable with it, that model will be fine. In third or fourth year, you may want to upgrade if you want something better or are contemplating certain specialties, but hey—you got a starter 'scope for free!

As for other equipment, don't worry about it right now. Dr. Oakes, the FABULOUS new ICM director provided us with some recommendations this spring, and I'll imagine that she'll do the same for y'all next fall. Also, hold off for now because you'll have opportunities for discounts via student groups and the manufacturers in August/September.

I think your right. I actually forgot since interview time.
At the very least biochem is graded: 90-100: Honors, 85-89 high pass, 65-84 pass, 60-64 marginal, 59 and below fail.
I imagine number breakdowns depends on each individual course.

All courses are graded. And you're correct on breakdowns depending on each particular course.

Generally 70 is the cut-off for Pass. It's 65 for Biochem and Physiology.

Generally Honors is around 90ish plus. It was 88 for Phys, 93.5 for Immuno this spring, but, as noted, it depends on the course.

Don't fret too much over grades. If you put in the work, you're going to pass, and P = MD. If you want to match into Ortho or Rad Onc, yeah, you'll need to do well, but don't freak. Step 1 scores and third year rotations matter much, much more than basic science grades.

:clap: Thanks for all the info!

Is it financially responsible to use that extra financial aid money to buy a plasma TV? :laugh:

If it is essential to your mental well-being as a medical student, by all means!
Hell yeah I'm shelling out to make sure I come home to a nice, comfy, relaxing apartment after those long days of studying.

I really don't think it's financially responsible. Some people seem to have the idea that if they're already accumulating 100,000 in debt that another 5 or 10 doesn't matter. It's that kind of thinking that makes Americans so debt ridden. I understand wanting to be comfortable during medical school, but I don't think we deserve or, even worse, are entitled to live luxuriously just because we are medical students and are stressed. Single mothers working two jobs are stressed, airline traffic controllers are stressed, and refuges of war torn countries are stressed, yet non of them believe that they are entitled to plasma TVs to ease their pain. Here's a secret, despite how much we (medical students) want to think that we're really special, we actually aren't (it's hard for me to accept too). There are those in this world who will work harder and longer than we ever will just to put food on the table.

Thirty or forty years ago most medical students, by necessity, lived modestly, today everyone under the sun thinks they need to buy as much as credit will allow. This gluttonous attitude is one of America's greatest faults, and our generation isn't doing anything to fix the problem.

Sure you could argue that we'll eventually be making comfortable salaries and therefore can "afford" to live comfortably right now. But I think this is a slippery slope. If we make the conscious choice to live beyond our means now (yes going into unnecessary debt is living beyond ones means) there's little to stop us from living beyond our means in the future. None of us are going to be rich, and even doctors can end up in debt if they're not careful. I think it would be prudent for all of us now to be conscientious about our spending habits.

This rant really isn't aimed at anyone. I hope nobody takes it as a personal attack. These are just my personal thoughts on the issue of money and debt.

a great piece of advice I recently read online that followed my previous actions was, only go in debt for things that appreciate in value. houses, education, etc.

That was part of an advice column that also went into details about people making upwards of 250k/year not saving any more then people with much more modest wages.

That being said, I think there is a happy medium where you can be frugal but still reward yourself. Its not that we are all a special class or entitled to nicer things more so then you only have one life to live and atleast try to enjoy most of it,
That being said, I will take every dime they offer me and use it wisely to avoid that very real slippery slope

a great piece of advice I recently read online that followed my previous actions was, only go in debt for things that appreciate in value. houses, education, etc.

That was part of an advice column that also went into details about people making upwards of 250k/year not saving any more then people with much more modest wages.

That being said, I think there is a happy medium where you can be frugal but still reward yourself. Its not that we are all a special class or entitled to nicer things more so then you only have one life to live and atleast try to enjoy most of it,
That being said, I will take every dime they offer me and use it wisely to avoid that very real slippery slope

I think that's really great advice. I also think that it's possible to be frugal and reward yourself. It's all about balance.

Does UTH give us any deals on laptops?

How is everyone doing on their loans? Is everone just taking the Stafford loans or are you looking for better loans from other sources?

Does UTH give us any deals on laptops?

You can get $100 off any macbook and around $80 on the 3-year service plan, as well as discounted software. Just go to apple.com and find the education link.

You can get $100 off any macbook and around $80 on the 3-year service plan, as well as discounted software. Just go to apple.com and find the education link.

But this isn't specific to UTMSH, you get that discount if you're enrolled in just about any school in the country if I'm not mistaken.

you get that $100 not only if you're enrolled in almost any university but even if you just say you are. they don't check. same deal with hp and dell.

How is everyone doing on their loans? Is everone just taking the Stafford loans or are you looking for better loans from other sources?

Well if I had ANY financial aid info at all I would tell you. Oh, and I am not sure, but Stafford loans are probably going to be the best you will get because they are set to certain interest rate by the government. Shop around for stafford lenders, but not for different loans, unless you're looking for loans above and beyond what stafford offers.

Well if I had ANY financial aid info at all I would tell you. Oh, and I am not sure, but Stafford loans are probably going to be the best you will get because they are set to certain interest rate by the government. Shop around for stafford lenders, but not for different loans, unless you're looking for loans above and beyond what stafford offers.

Have you called them? I don't have anything either yet but haven't gotten in the mood to call to find out if somethings wrong. I vaguely remember someone (maybe you) saying that it could be atleast end of month before they send out.

My UTlink is also blank.

One more note on computers.

Dell recently started offering computers with Ubuntu (linux) instead of windows.
This will save btw $60 and $100. you could then buy windows from the school for at most $30 and install it.
I've been using ubuntu for about 6 month, I like it a lot, but I have windows xp loaded as well to use when there are compatibility problems.

Have you called them? I don't have anything either yet but haven't gotten in the mood to call to find out if somethings wrong. I vaguely remember someone (maybe you) saying that it could be atleast end of month before they send out.

My UTlink is also blank.

Yeah I called and they had said it would be out by the end of the month. I guess they knew I was one of those people without multiple offers so they knew they could delay me all they wanted because I have nowhere else to go! :)

EDIT!! I just looked at UTlink and I have a tiny bit of financial aid info up. It just says when they got my FAFSA, but the date is WAY later than I submitted! Is this because they had changed the program or whatever and couldn't see them for a while, or does anyone have a nice early date?

Does anyone know what the clearance is for the parking garage at El Paseo?

I called the financial aid office today since my UTlink is still blank.

Turns out they flagged my account. I wasn't born in america and they needed proof of U.S. citizenship. There was supposedly a letter to ask me to mail in my passport.
So if you were not a born U.S. citizen, send in a copy of your passport before they don't send financial aid awards.

I called the financial aid office today since my UTlink is still blank.

Turns out they flagged my account. I wasn't born in america and they needed proof of U.S. citizenship. There was supposedly a letter to ask me to mail in my passport.
So if you were not a born U.S. citizen, send in a copy of your passport before they don't send financial aid awards.

I'm not a U.S. born citizen, I'm a naturalized citizen, and I received my financial aid two weeks ago.

son of a.

Well, they said "You've been flagged for proof of citizenship" Apparently I should have known to send my passport
I was naturalized 8 years ago.

Eh, its ok as long as i still get the same money. I mean, i'm likely to get near nothing so maybe they'll give a tiny bit more for my patience

well I'm texan born and raised and I STILL don't have financial aid information! I called last week, but it is still annoying. Hopefully they'll have everyone sorted out and done soon.

Hey there, future classmates! :D
So I got my financial aid information and scholarship information and now I'm sitting down to figure out how to budget all of this out for my first year... and I have a few questions:
First, I alloted $700 a semester for books and supplies. Is that enough? Too much? Somewhere in the ballpark???
Next, if anyone lives in the University Housing in either of the two mid-sized, one-bedroom floorplans, can you give me an estimate of how much I'll be spending on utilities per month?
And lastly, should I pay for the after-hours parking in case I need to go to study groups or something?

Thanks guys :oops:

If night parking is $50 like i believe it is, then I think its silly not to get it.

I believe that should be more then enough for books.
I would also budget in quite a bit of misc school expenses. The stethescope requirement came up already, that you'll need one 2nd year more so then 1st. However, we're also going to need to buy otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes ..
(don't fault me on spelling). Don't know what year we'll need those, but they're expensive, and being that first year is a sizeable financial aid award year due to the "laptop" money, it might be good to get some stuff this year, or atleast budget in some saving money for it next year.

Hey guys! Thought I'd spread the love between here and the Baylor thread.
For anyone trying to set up utilities: I saw that Sprint is running a deal through the SERO plan: Unlimited wireless broadband for $49.99 which is $10 less/month than normal. (For me, it's going to be nice not to be chained to my apartment to study). Plus I got a really sweet deal on cell service and a Treo smartphone for $100 after mail-in rebates. (I can't remember if Houston requires a PDA or not). PM me if you've never heard of this plan and you want the links and contact info :)

Hey guys! Thought I'd spread the love between here and the Baylor thread.
For anyone trying to set up utilities: I saw that Sprint is running a deal through the SERO plan: Unlimited wireless broadband for $49.99 which is $10 less/month than normal. (For me, it's going to be nice not to be chained to my apartment to study). Plus I got a really sweet deal on cell service and a Treo smartphone for $100 after mail-in rebates. (I can't remember if Houston requires a PDA or not). PM me if you've never heard of this plan and you want the links and contact info :)

I assume you or a friend of yours works for sprint and could hook other people up.
unfortunately i'm not eligible for sero plan bc i have a business account, but with unlimited vision and any EVDO phone its not to hard to get the same set up. Admittedly its not as easy as the pcmia card, or as convenient bc you can't use voice and vision at the same time, but the price is right.

I would say the wireless broadband is a great deal for anyone that is going to be paying close to that for their home broadband.
Sero is the way to go for voice plans too. I wish i could, i want a new phone

What combination of phone service (if any), high speed internet (cable or DSL), and cable TV (if any) is everyone planning on purchasing? I will be new to Houston and don't know about all the various providers. Please be as specific as possible about providers you recommend or recommend staying away from. Also, an approximation of prices would be great.

On another topic, does anyone have any comment on the dozens of electrical providers available in Texas? Too many choices make me want to curl up in a fetal position.

My roommate and I went with Time Warner's 3-in-1 package - digital cable, internet, and phone (unlimited local and long distance). Comes out to 107.87 a month (with $5 extra for ESPN HD =P). It's much cheaper than buying each component separately. As far as electricity goes, we went with GEXA... cheapest rate we found.