******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not sure if someone has already said this, but I heard that they were upgrading to a new system and that it has only recently (this week) been fully implemented. Before now they could not see FAFSA applications, but now they can and will be packaging accordingly within the next week or so.

Do you have a source for this information, juicy gossip as it is.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who requested a 2nd year advisor, and didn't meet them at welcome weekend either because you didn't attend or they didn't, has your 2nd year contacted you by e-mail or in any other form.

During welcome weekend I was told that they would, but as of yet I haven't heard from mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who requested a 2nd year advisor, and didn't meet them at welcome weekend either because you didn't attend or they didn't, has your 2nd year contacted you by e-mail or in any other form.

During welcome weekend I was told that they would, but as of yet I haven't heard from mine.

Mine contacted me a couple of weeks ago.

Ok I called the financial aid office like 5 minutes ago. The lady told me that they don't process them until end of April, but they started last week, so they are running slightly behind. She said they don't usually go out until after May 15th, so those of us trying to use this to decide between multiple acceptances have to do it w/o financial aid as a factor. She said mine wouldn't come out till June.

I'm really thinking about calling and complaining, because I seriously think EVERY other school has given out their financial aid info.
I dunno, Stony said it wouldn't until June as well, so it may not be just Houston. I've made a thread on the main preallos to see if it's common to not get your packet before the 15th of May at least, so we'll see what people have to say.

Ok I called the financial aid office like 5 minutes ago. The lady told me that they don't process them until end of April, but they started last week, so they are running slightly behind. She said they don't usually go out until after May 15th, so those of us trying to use this to decide between multiple acceptances have to do it w/o financial aid as a factor. She said mine wouldn't come out till June.

I dunno, Stony said it wouldn't until June as well, so it may not be just Houston. I've made a thread on the main preallos to see if it's common to not get your packet before the 15th of May at least, so we'll see what people have to say.

Well I think I've heard galveston and tamu have given theirs out. and tech i think. I know this time last year tamu's was out because I went over it with my roommate.

Do you have a source for this information, juicy gossip as it is.

The mouth of a horse. :D

I called a few weeks ago and a finaid counselor told me that they could not see FAFSA data yet because they were upgrading "or something" and to call back in a couple of weeks.

Last week I called back and she said that they could finally "see" FAFSA data, and that they would begin packaging a week later (this week).

where's the buzz? i just received my finaid package yesterday.

when do we register, btw? UT Link gives me nothing.

where's the buzz? i just received my finaid package yesterday.

when do we register, btw? UT Link gives me nothing.

Finally, someone got a package. What are you referring to when you say "buzz?"

Can you tell us about the package's contents? I want to live vicariously until I get mine.

Finally, someone got a package. What are you referring to when you say "buzz?"

I expected to find the thread already alit with discussion. Now that I've seen its contents I doubt there'll be much, though.

Can you tell us about the package's contents? I want to live vicariously until I get mine.

There's not much to it - a print out with the assistance you're eligible for (in my case, sub. and unsub. Staffords and a Texas Public Education Grant, $2k/semester) and several sheets walking you through the process of applying for loans.

mine hasnt emailed me

This is the last week of first year exams.
Your second year will probably contact you after that.

The preentry program helps some people.

At least you will know how to skin a cadaver, (good info for the first week) thorax anatomy, and the krebs cycle. (I didn't do the program, so I don't know what else they learned)

It adds three or four weeks to the first semester.

Of course, there is still a huge amount of material to memorize.

Sorry about the short post.........

Does anyone know the average size of the audio or video recordings of the lectures at the med school. I'm looking into buying an ipod and want to make sure I get one with enough storage.

Edit: By size I mean megabytes, not length.

I'm thinking about bringing my golf clubs with me to school. Anyone going to bring theirs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to try to fight off muggers with them?

I'm thinking about bringing my golf clubs with me to school. Anyone going to bring theirs?

I don't golf, but I figure its time to learn. I mean all doctors golf on their days off right?

Are you going to try to fight off muggers with them?

interestingly enough, the 1 golf club I own is a 4.99 goodwill special that stays in the trunk of my car for just that purpose, and the occasional making a fool of myself at a driving range

I might bring mine if I can find them under the mound of dust that has undoubtedly accumulated on them.

I'm bringing mine; although, I need to hit the driving range this summer to brush up my game.

I'll be bringing mine because they never leave my trunk, but I can't play for ****.

Speaking of sports... hopefully we can get some Ultimate games going.

Is anybody ready for story time? I know this one's long, but I'm bored.

So I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago and I went apartment hunting south of the medical center, where most of the med school students live (as I understand it). I'm still hoping for an El Paseo student apt, but since I didn't get my name on the list until mid-March for moving in on 8/1, I figure it's time to have a back-up plan. Anyway, I went by Greenbrair and some of the other apartment buildings right on the rail line and they were more pricey than I was expecting- like upwards of $750 for less than 600 sq ft.

Somehow I meadered down to the Parque View apartments (misspelled earlier on this thread as Park View). This apartment didn't look quite as nice from the outside, and there was a broken gate that was open for anyone to get in to the complex, but the pool area seemed nice and there were a lot of trees so I decided to check it out. It turns out this place was less than $600 for almost 700 sq. ft. (I believe). The model apartment looked pretty nice, so I decided to sign a (nonbinding) prelease, which cost $40 and reserved me an apartment (they even showed me the outside of the one they assigned me.) As I was leaving, I noticed it is right across the street from the el paseo student apartments! The UT shuttle picks up right outside and the rec center is an easy 100 yards away. I was really excited.

Then, when I got home, I decided to check the reviews on google and I was far less than impressed. A paltry 19% of the reviewers recommended the apartment building, and I think it's actually less than that because almost everyone has mostly bad things to say (about the management, repairs, being lied to, etc.) and then there are a couple reviews that say, in all caps, that the management is awesome and everthing gets fixed right on time- which led me to believe that they were posted by the Parque View management.

Still, I'm going to keep this one in mind for the time being, just in case. Parque View called me today, though, to ask how I was going to pay for the apartment, and I told them student loans. They need me to fax them a copy of my award summary which, of course, I haven't received. I called up financial aid and it turns out they sent it on May 11th to an address I haven't used since applying to med school! I changed the address with UT Houston before they mailed out our original acceptance packets back in March but, as the receptionist told me today, that address was put under my "alternative address" and nothing is shipped to that one (even though my acceptance packet was mailed here, nothing else has been.) Then she proceeded to lecture me on always keeping an updated address on file. I know!! I tried! Oh well.

So I guess I'll receive my financial aid packet in a couple of days, hopefully. Then I'll have to sort out whether or not I actually want to live in Parque View. Does anyone know someone who lives there and has anything to say about it? That would really help me out. Good luck to all of you in your housing hunting! (and financial aid receiving!) Oh, and if you ever changed your address with UT Houston, you may want to call and make sure they have the correct one.

I'll be bringing mine because they never leave my trunk, but I can't play for ****.

Speaking of sports... hopefully we can get some Ultimate games going.

Are you my friend from College Station?!?!?!?! Because he is OBSESSED with ultimate frisbee. He even went to tournaments and stuff like that. If you aren't him, he is coming to UTH.

Is anybody ready for story time? I know this one's long, but I'm bored.
So I guess I'll receive my financial aid packet in a couple of days, hopefully. Then I'll have to sort out whether or not I actually want to live in Parque View. Does anyone know someone who lives there and has anything to say about it? That would really help me out. Good luck to all of you in your housing hunting! (and financial aid receiving!) Oh, and if you ever changed your address with UT Houston, you may want to call and make sure they have the correct one.

When I stayed with my good friend at the Univ Housing, and her friend came over and basically told me to live anywhere but Parque View. Apparently he's seen drug deals and stuff taken out of cars, and said it was just really really shady and not to live there. Several other of her friends also said not to live in Parque. I'm assuming you're male (the whole Jeff thing....) so you probably would feel more comfortable than a female (I'm not trying to judge, but just going from normal stereotypes you know :)), but it was a guy that first told me not to live there, and then all girls. But if it comes down to it you can live almost anywhere for a year, and then get the heck out :)

Also, I don't know if you're in the UTH group on facebook, but Anastasis had gotten a 2/2 in old housing, and then ended up being able to get a 1/1 in the new, and she said it seemed that there was a high turnover, so there is still hope. Unfortunately they won't call until July if you gave an Aug move in date.

Are you my friend from College Station?!?!?!?! Because he is OBSESSED with ultimate frisbee. He even went to tournaments and stuff like that. If you aren't him, he is coming to UTH.

Nope, I'm from TU. ;) From your description I'm not nearly his caliber... I just like (poorly) throwing a frisbee around a lot.

Does anyone know someone who lives there and has anything to say about it?
I have a friend who is a 3rd year at Baylor who lives there. She says it's fine (though loud) and she hasn't had any problems. But I've heard horrible things from other people about that place as well. I think it's kind shady and I'd be worried about it. Are you on the list for Cambridge housing too or just El Paseo?

Also, I don't know if you're in the UTH group on facebook, but Anastasis had gotten a 2/2 in old housing, and then ended up being able to get a 1/1 in the new, and she said it seemed that there was a high turnover, so there is still hope. Unfortunately they won't call until July if you gave an Aug move in date.

Ooooo - sorry I didn't make myself clear. No I got a 2/2 in Old and then switched it for a 1/1 still in Old. Yeah there has been a lot of movement in Old Housing (Cambridge) so I just assumed it was the same for new housing.

I got a 1/1 in the new university housing about 2 weeks ago, moving in July 11. I was standing in line the first day to get on the waitlist though.

Nope, I'm from TU. ;) From your description I'm not nearly his caliber... I just like (poorly) throwing a frisbee around a lot.

I really enjoy ultimate too, but I'm not that great. I didn't get to play nearly as much as I wanted to in college.

Hey everyone,

My parents called me today saying they received my financial aid packet. They were very surprised that the budget for the 2007-2008 year was like $32,000. The budget sheet that was included in our info packet a few months back gave a figure of just under $12,000. That's a huge difference. Anyone have any idea of why there is such a big difference? Is this a mistake or did I miss something? :scared:

Thanks.

*edit*

After looking around on the fin aid site, I think the budget includes living expenses, which weren't included in the budget in our info packet.

12,000 is just for tuition and fees. 32,000 includes everything else such as living expenses (housing, insurance, food, etc etc).

Sorry Ana, my bad. :) YAY for 1/1 housing.

And I STILL HAVE NO FIN AID PACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

And yeah, the total budget is living and school stuff. YAY loans!

Sorry to intrude in this forum, but I'd like to ask a question. If an applicant applies to UT-Houston, already has an April MCAT score, and plans on taking the August MCAT, will UT-Houston wait until after the fall MCAT score is released to invite the applicant for an interview?

I know a friend who actually got an interview invite even before his fall MCAT score was released (He submitted his April one). But this sounds like it would be rare to me?

Anyone get an invite to UT-Houston before his/her fall mcat score was released?

(I'm trying to debate whether or not to take the fall MCAT)

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey, thanks for responding aggiesarah and anastasis! (and those of you that sent me private messages.) Unfortunately I'm just on the list for the el paseo housing, not cambridge. If I could go back I would apply for both, but oh well.

On the good side, my second year told me that a lot of the people they knew in el paseo were fourth years, so there would be more turnover this year than in previous years. But in case I don't get that, I think I'm going to be looking elsewhere for apartments (not Parque View), because money's really not that big of an issue, and if I'm not at the student housing it would be nice to live on the rail.

Hey, thanks for responding aggiesarah and anastasis! (and those of you that sent me private messages.) Unfortunately I'm just on the list for the el paseo housing, not cambridge. If I could go back I would apply for both, but oh well.

On the good side, my second year told me that a lot of the people they knew in el paseo were fourth years, so there would be more turnover this year than in previous years. But in case I don't get that, I think I'm going to be looking elsewhere for apartments (not Parque View), because money's really not that big of an issue, and if I'm not at the student housing it would be nice to live on the rail.
Oh snap :( Well - you could call and add yourself to Cambridge... you never know (though it might be a waste of $50 at this point).

I stayed with a friend at the Berkshires on Brompton (or something like that - you could probably find it on apartments.com) It was pretty nice with a shuttle to the TMC. I seem to remember she had gotten a decent price to and it was very safe.

Now that housing is the hot topic I'll offer a piece of hope.
I'm closing a deal on a condo which means that I'll be giving up my spot on El Paseo Student Housing waitlist.
This will be a mute point if they don't reach me, but I got on it pretty early (early enough to get off it compared to previous years).
Btw, I was on waitlist for one bedroom apts.

Does anyone know what an Ellwood loan is?

Sorry to intrude in this forum, but I'd like to ask a question. If an applicant applies to UT-Houston, already has an April MCAT score, and plans on taking the August MCAT, will UT-Houston wait until after the fall MCAT score is released to invite the applicant for an interview?

I know a friend who actually got an interview invite even before his fall MCAT score was released (He submitted his April one). But this sounds like it would be rare to me?

Anyone get an invite to UT-Houston before his/her fall mcat score was released?

(I'm trying to debate whether or not to take the fall MCAT)

Thanks in advance!!!

their only "rule" that I know of is that you have to submit an MCAT score, so they will give interviews based on an april mcat even if you say your going to take an august mcat. The fact is though, if you're planning on taking an august mcat, how good is your april mcat. If its "just ok" but your a good looking applicant everywhere else then i'm sure your chances are high, if your average across the board and have a bad or just ok mcat, then they might wait until you post a good mcat score.
The other thing I've heard in the past (probably just hearsay) is that if you plan on taking the mcat again, then you need to make sure you have a substantial increase, e.g. 25 to a 30 to show an improvement or that maybe the first time was just a bad day.

Summary : if you feel your only going to raise your score by a point or 2, its not worth retaking, how much you need to raise it also depends on what your score is, and what your other stuff is. Applying early is always worth it.

Ok, so I'm new to taking loans. Does anyone know if we can take parts of loans and not the whole thing?

Ok, so I'm new to taking loans. Does anyone know if we can take parts of loans and not the whole thing?

I second that question and add the following:if we don't accept any financial aid this year, does that negatively impact our ability to get financial aid the following year.

You can accept all or part or none of your financial aid package.

As far as I know you declining aid will not affect you since it is mostly an objective system based on numbers and what not.... I think. Thats about all my depth of knowledge of it.... maybe you should call the Fin. Aid office for better info.

Ok so if you were panicking, stop, but I'm pretty sure if anyone was panicking, it would have been shown on the boards :)

Anyway, after all this time, and now fin aid packet, I was starting to panic! So I called, and mine should be out by the END OF THE MONTH!!! could they maybe wait a little longer? Gosh! My Fafsa was in super early too. I've filled out Fafsa every year so I just did it again like old times. Its just a little frustrating because I'd really like to know where I stand. Oh well....

BTW, I'm SOOOO excited about coming to Houston! YAY!

Ok so if you were panicking, stop, but I'm pretty sure if anyone was panicking, it would have been shown on the boards :)

Anyway, after all this time, and now fin aid packet, I was starting to panic! So I called, and mine should be out by the END OF THE MONTH!!! could they maybe wait a little longer? Gosh! My Fafsa was in super early too. I've filled out Fafsa every year so I just did it again like old times. Its just a little frustrating because I'd really like to know where I stand. Oh well....

BTW, I'm SOOOO excited about coming to Houston! YAY!

Just a heads up - some basic financial aid information was posted on utlink before I received the hard copies in the mail, but that was only about two days earlier.

Just a heads up - some basic financial aid information was posted on utlink before I received the hard copies in the mail, but that was only about two days earlier.

Oh UTlink! It has a medical 2007 year now. I still don't have any finaid info. Thanks for letting me know though. I will keep checking :)
All of this, people not getting everything at the same time always makes me nervous. Like they didn't actually mean to accept me. Like this is all a dream and come Aug they will say JK!!! You were an accidental acceptance and we're taking it away now! <-- I sure hope that doesn't happen!

Oh UTlink! It has a medical 2007 year now. I still don't have any finaid info. Thanks for letting me know though. I will keep checking :)
All of this, people not getting everything at the same time always makes me nervous. Like they didn't actually mean to accept me. Like this is all a dream and come Aug they will say JK!!! You were an accidental acceptance and we're taking it away now! <-- I sure hope that doesn't happen!

3 out of 5 doctors say that 20 percent of the time it happens in 10 percent of the cases.

Just wondering, did everyone get the Texas Public Education Grant in their fin aid package? A grant means you don't have to repay it right?

I got one, and its not a loan. :thumbup:

I haven't gotten the finaid package yet. What is the max we are allowed to take out? Is it different for each person?

My total was $32,169. I'm not taking it all but I think thats about the max.
That number is the estimated budget for 1st year.

My total was $32,169. I'm not taking it all but I think thats about the max.
That number is the estimated budget for 1st year.

I have the same total. Was the "TMA Loan Application" enclosed in your packet? I only had 4 things in mine - the financial aid award notice, a copy, the authorization for direct deposit, and the "applying for a Stafford loan..." instructions.

I have the same total. Was the "TMA Loan Application" enclosed in your packet? I only had 4 things in mine - the financial aid award notice, a copy, the authorization for direct deposit, and the "applying for a Stafford loan..." instructions.

No, but I did not receive any aid requiring the TMA Loan Application.
I also got one additional paper giving important info about the aid package and the enclosed documents.

No, but I did not receive any aid requiring the TMA Loan Application.
I also got one additional paper giving important info about the aid package and the enclosed documents.

Ohhh....wow I feel dumb. The double and triple asterisked remarks only apply to aid with double or triple asterisks.

Utlink updated a couple of things. First, Medical 2007 is listed under term (aggiesarah2007 already mentioned that), when I click on residence it has information posted (it just says resident for me), under address it now actually has my address and the option to edit it. Also, for those of you whose financial aid information has been mailed there should be information posted under the financial aid link.

Isn't obsessively checking utlink fun?

Edit: I've been itching to press continue in the "View Bill" link just to see what happens. Anyone else do it?

Edit 2: Does anyone else show a fee of $30.00 in the "Status --> Admissions" link?