USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I read on this thread that some who took their test on 7/5 got their scores back

Some from the week after had their permit disappeared last week but their scores weren't released.

So weird its a patchy distribution like that. I wonder if its random or according to what day of the week they sat for the exam.

When I read the September 6th post, I thought it was more of an assurance on their part that everyone will get their scores by the 6th, but you could get them earlier too (since they said there will be a "delay in reporting for some examinees")

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, and it happened to be now that our specialty selection is hinged on this score.

You'll be fine man. And a step 2 ck score should definitely NOT hinge anyone towards or away from a specialty selection, it just does not have that level of importance. All it basically is the cream at the top. As long you did not completely bomb , which you most likely didn't, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I give up. Scores won't be out till September 6
I believe you are correct. I will probably still check next Wednesday, but I don't have a lot of faith that I will see them before Sept. 6th. Sad that it will take USMLE as long to get my CK score back to me as it will the NBOME to grade my PE...

Random question maybe someone here will know the answer to. I'll be in the group that gets scores Sept 6th. ERAS opens for submission at 9am September 6th and scores usually come out a bit later. Does this open the possibility of being able to certify ERAS without my CK score?
Very good question. I'm wondering about the same thing. Did you find out?

So, I was reading about that today and they said you can submit between Sept 6-14th and it will still be stamped as Sept 15th submission. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And yep, still waiting for score. Permit still there :/

So, I was reading about that today and they said you can submit between Sept 6-14th and it will still be stamped as Sept 15th submission. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep. You're right.
It's open on Sept 6th for a few days but no info is available to programs until Sept 15th.
I wanted to know as well cause I'm taking the CK next Week and will be getting my score on Sept 6th...

But if you submit your application on the morning of the 6th, do you still need to update your application with the score before it's released to programs on the 15th?

Man what a crock of **** having to wait two months for a score. They better lighten the curve for those of us waiting half an eternity.

Man what a crock of **** having to wait two months for a score. They better lighten the curve for those of us waiting half an eternity.
I think that's the whole point of waiting. Because of the new question pool, they probably need more data points to construct a curve.

hello ...
I've finished my exam couple of days ago ... here is my feedback

40% of the questions are very very very easy questions ..those which you can answer without studying , very typical cases.
20% of questions are step 1 based questions ..if you memorize basic knowledge things will be OK ..thing like what is the affected gene in this patient? , what is the responsible cell for this patient condition ?, even some pathological gross and microscopic pictures !
20% of questions depend on your clinical judgment skills ...most are tough ,,,you can be never sure ,,you will be hesitated between 2 choices .
10% of questions are along case and the question is ..what is the most significant risk/protective factor for the best condition from his/her history .
10% are out of medical knowledge questions , lol , I got some nursing and dentistry questions , about herbs and drinks! I don't know .

regarding of the length of the questions .. it's almost the same as UWSA 2 style ..

regarding the style of the questions ....I felt it's like the free120 ...I even got 2 questions from the free120! and the same pictures .

my suggestions : do questions as much as you can , and do the free120 and analyse it choice by choice understanding every detail , also use the format on the USMLE website to simulate the real deal ...because the normal labs available on the real deal is different than the one available on the uworld format...the added and deleted some .

good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's the whole point of waiting. Because of the new question pool, they probably need more data points to construct a curve.

So you took the exam after they changed the question pool
hello ...

40% of the questions are very very very easy questions ..those which you can answer without studying , very typical cases.
20% of questions are step 1 based questions ..if you memorize basic knowledge things will be OK ..thing like what is the affected gene in this patient? , what is the responsible cell for this patient condition ?, even some pathological gross and microscopic pictures !
20% of questions depend on your clinical judgment skills ...most are tough ,,,you can be never sure ,,you will be hesitated between 2 choices .
10% of questions are along case and the question is ..what is the most significant risk/protective factor for the best condition from his/her history .
10% are out of medical knowledge questions , lol , I got some nursing and dentistry questions , about herbs and drinks! I don't know .

regarding of the length of the questions .. it's almost the same as UWSA 2 style ..

regarding the style of the questions ....I felt it's like the free120 ...I even got 2 questions from the free120! and the same pictures .

my suggestions : do questions as much as you can , and do the free120 and analyse it choice by choice understanding every detail , also use the format on the USMLE website to simulate the real deal ...because the normal labs available on the real deal is different than the one available on the uworld format...the added and deleted some .

good luck

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Do you mind saying what materials u used and what scores you had on UWSAs?

Last edited:
So you took the exam after they changed the question poo

I believe so. They said they changed the question pool on July 3rd. I took the test 10 days after that.

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions from reading this thread.

1. how long did you spend studying (dedicated vs undedicated) for step 2?
2. what is this thing that I am reading on the thread about new questions pool. Is this in regards to the UW q bank? I purchased mine at the start of last year for my clerkships and I dont think I will take my test until October.
3. any other advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

So you took the exam after they changed the question pool

I only used uworld... And firstaid step 1 as a a reference
UWSA 1 : 266
UWSA 2 : 259

hello ...

good luck
congrats to be done with exam!!!
what resources u used? which one did you find most useful for the exam?
what's your arbitrary step 1 score?

congrats to be done with exam!!!
what resources u used? which one did you find most useful for the exam?
what's your arbitrary step 1 score?
I only used uworld... And put firstaid step 1 on my side as a reference...
My step 1 score is 259
I didn't use any resource and I find out that most of the questions depends on your judgment /experience... So Doing more cases and questions would be the best way to ace it... I didn't use any source so I can't judge any.. But I think knowledge from step 1 cover most of step 2 except some guidelines and real hospital stuff

I only used uworld... And put firstaid step 1 on my side as a reference...
My step 1 score is 259
I didn't use any resource and I find out that most of the questions depends on your judgment /experience... So Doing more cases and questions would be the best way to ace it... I didn't use any source so I can't judge any.. But I think knowledge from step 1 cover most of step 2 except some guidelines and real hospital stuff
How much Case files and other Shelf resources helped?? I know it's a vague question but want to be sure on right shelf resources.

1. can someone please explain where this september 6th date is coming from / how sure we are that those of us who took the exam in july who haven't received scores yet will receive our score then? seems a bit ridiculous that we'll have to wait over two months to get our scores back when others get it back in 3 weeks...?

2. what's with the "new question bank" that was implemented at the beginning of july? I definitely noticed a lot of weird seemingly simple but non-medicine based non-fact based q's but is it really fair they do this after all the time we spent practicing usual style q's?

Took the exam the other day. Background info: step I was 259 (damn you that 1 point lol). Shelf exams by percentile ranged from 87-100.

Prep: Uworld + marked q's during 3rd year shelf studying - 70-75% correct. Redid UWorld during dedicated 1.5 times over the course of 6 weeks with some weekend completely off (taking a research year - figured better safe than sorry). 2nd pass I was ~89% and 3rd pass I was 98% (obviously a lot of these were memorized but I still found it helpful to dig through the explanations and try to learn something new each time). Read most of SU2M during dedicated and actually enjoyed it quite a bit when I really sat down and did a detailed read with notes - really wish I had time to do this on IM. Read the trauma section from Pestana, FA psych (skimmed through it), and used my notes from UWISE for OBGYN. Emma Holliday video for peds. For the most part, I made a document with UWorld notes and figures and really spent time reviewing it, especially the last couple of days leading up to it.

Practice tests:
  • UWSA1: 273 (2 weeks out)
  • UWSA2: 266 (6 days out)
  • NBME: skipped
  • Free 120: skipped - only had time the day before the test and definitely was not going to risk hurting my confidence with less than 24 hours to go.
Exam experience: I feel like in a few weeks, I'll be eating my own words but oh well lol. I came out of Step I feeling absolutely crushed and moped around for a while (but things worked out) and based on what I've read on here, I was expecting the same feeling, if not worse for this exam. Surprisingly, I felt like Step 2CK was easier than UWSA2 and I walked out feeling pretty good. Every block was 40q's except for one that was 38. Had about 6 heart murmurs and 0 lung auscultations. Only one abstract with 3 q's, only like 8-10 biotstat questions total and maybe 10 sets of those two part questions. I'm generally a fast test taker though on Step I, I definitely felt the time crunch and barely got to review my flagged. For this, though, it felt like my normal uworld pace and got to check all my flagged and most my non-flagged. Maybe it's just the mix of questions I had or maybe it was just cause I was way less stressed going into this than Step I so I'm not dwelling so much on the q's the I probably got wrong but overall I thought this test was much more manageable than I was anticipating... which makes me nervous because looking at old threads, I feel like no one who did really well came out thinking they did well lol. Idk if that's just cause it's easier to set low expectations and be pleasantly surprised rather than be confident and then disappointed - guess I'll find out September 6th!

1. can someone please explain where this september 6th date is coming from / how sure we are that those of us who took the exam in july who haven't received scores yet will receive our score then? seems a bit ridiculous that we'll have to wait over two months to get our scores back when others get it back in 3 weeks...?

2. what's with the "new question bank" that was implemented at the beginning of july? I definitely noticed a lot of weird seemingly simple but non-medicine based non-fact based q's but is it really fair they do this after all the time we spent practicing usual style q's?
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Announcements

No, it's not fair and those q's are stupid.

This Wednesday is 5th week for me and 6th wed for some who took it earlier and haven't got their scores back. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Hi everyone!
My step 2CK is scheduled on August 25th. My last rotation was obgyn and it was so busy. I barely had time to study and basically I'm giving CK only three weeks dedicated. I had plans to do uworld plus one extra source but it seems like I only have time for uworld. Is that enough for 240+?. The 25th I believe is the last day to take the exam so my CK score would be back in time for applications. My problem is that I don't know if I'll be done with uworld on time. In order to finish on time I have to do 4uworld blocks everyday. This is without NBME, UWSA,150. I'm drained because I'm trying to do 4 blocks but it takes me FOREVER to read the explanations for each block!
I would absolutely love to postpone one week but that means I would get my score a week or so later than sept 15th. I'm an IMG so it's super risky for me.
I started around 65% in uworld and now I'm getting 70% and above.
Is it worth it to delay my exam so I can have more time to finish uworld and take the practice exams? Or will this one week make no difference really?
If I do delay, should I still apply by September 15 without my CK and update my application with the score a week or so after or wait to apply till I get my CK?
Step 1 low 240s and CS pass.

Would appreciate any input guys, really stressed out about this. Thank you!