USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Took the test yesterday. It felt like I took the wrong test from a different universe of medicine that had vaguely similar diseases. There was a block where for literally 80% of the questions I wasn't sure on any of the answers and guessed. I am pretty sure I scored 40-60% correct total and hoping for a pass.

UWSAs in the 250's. If I actually got a step 2 score in the 250's I will eat a bar of soap and post the video online.

lol get ready to eat the soap. cos UWSA is highly predictive

Reactions: 7 users
Took the test yesterday. It felt like I took the wrong test from a different universe of medicine that had vaguely similar diseases. There was a block where for literally 80% of the questions I wasn't sure on any of the answers and guessed. I am pretty sure I scored 40-60% correct total and hoping for a pass.

UWSAs in the 250's. If I actually got a step 2 score in the 250's I will eat a bar of soap and post the video online.
I too will gladly eat a bar while sipping on a shampoo bottle if I get a score similar to my UWSAs.

Reactions: 7 users
Honestly after doing both CK and CS within 5 days of each other I would deep fry and consume an old boot to not have to go back to philly and sit through CS again. Who cares about CK haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly after doing both CK and CS within 5 days of each other I would deep fry and consume an old boot to not have to go back to philly and sit through CS again. Who cares about CK haha.
Srsly. I had them scheduled 5 days apart as well and that was a big mistake. CS blows, I really hope I don't have to retake it.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my score back yesterday. Want to write up something quickly to help anyone who was in a similar boat as me in regards to a below average step 1

Step 1: 205-215 UFAP (P x 2, UWx1)
Prep time: 4 weeks dedicated, 4 weeks in the evening during an elective (longer than most!). I had very little free time over the 8 weeks between studying and research.
Ressources for CK: OME (1x throughout the year, 1x dedicated), UWorld (1x throughout third year, 2x throughout the last 8 weeks over a light rotation), Step Up to Medicine (1x), Secrets the few days before. The game changer here: Anki with uworld incorrects over the last 8 weeks during my prep. I used a lot of diagrams and pictures which was very time consuming but unfortunately how I learn best. Uptodate (usually just the Summary) on the 'big name' topics popping up on UWSA and CMS subject tests frequently (e.g. pleural effusions, pap smears)

UWSA1: 249 (4 weeks out)
UWSA2: 264 (1 week out)
I did CMS exams (as a learning tool) for psychiatry, ob gyn, and surgery.
CK: 250-260

I felt awful before/during/after the exam. Doing UWorld 3x for CK really helped me with my reading comprehension and speed and I was able to finish most blocks with 10-15 minutes left.

Please let me know if I can be helpful to anyone. UW + OME + Uptodate seemed to be the most helpful along with Anki to integrate everything

Reactions: 1 users
lol get ready to eat the soap. cos UWSA is highly predictive
I don't believe in that. Uworld overpredicted me by 15 points...I also think the majority of people who post their scores are people who score high or are surprised by their score and are eager to share, so people start thinking UWSA is predictive because of how high UWSA scores tend to be...NBME's were more predictive for me.

Srsly. I had them scheduled 5 days apart as well and that was a big mistake. CS blows, I really hope I don't have to retake it.

Feeling the same as you and @DBV after taking them within 3 days of each other. I'm pretty drained but keep telling myself that at least they are both over with.

Well imagine having to take CK and three days later take COMLEX (400 questions), and then a week later take CS.

Reactions: 2 users
I have an IMG buddy preparing for CK. He wants to do an observership for a month after his first read of UW. Is it advisable?

P.S. He wants to take it ASAP with target above 250. Step 1 is in low 210s. :D @CingulateGyro @StuartLiu

Just got my report back yesterday and I wanted to write up my experience because this test was so nerve-wracking. I had a few days under 4 weeks to prep for the exam. I'm pretty slow with UWorld and I had about 1800 problems to get through, so I spent the vast, vast majority of my time doing questions and reviewing the answers. I think I averaged approx 80 questions/day and I took detailed notes while reviewing if I didn't know something. I had only gone through approx 800 questions in a very haphazard way during third year (and none since around March) so I started fresh during dedicated - my final percentage ended up being 75%. I definitely felt like I was not as focused or as dedicated as I had been for step 1, but I did force myself to stay in the library for around 10 hrs/day and I didn't take any days off the whole month. Finished my single pass of UWorld four days before the real thing, then started reading through my notes (only got through maybe 1/2) and doing the Groovernaculum step 2 anki deck.

I did 3 NBMEs, none of the UWorld exams:
NBME 6 - 240 (3 weeks left)
NBME 4 - 245 (2 weeks left)
NBME 7 - 250 (1 week left)
Free 150 - 92% (3 days left)

My experience taking the real test was absolutely awful. I couldn't sleep the night before until around 1am, so I was running on 5 hours of sleep. I can't stress how different it was from my step 1 experience, where I had been able to sleep in and start the exam at 1pm. I very rarely finished with more than 1 min left to review, which was a huge difference from uworld, where I would generally have 5-10 min per block. Afterwards, I remembered in excruciating detail around 7-8 gimme problems that I got wrong. I thought for sure that I wouldn't get above a 240-245. My only solace was reading on this forum about how everyone feels like this test kicked them in the balls.

Final score - 261 (step 1 251 for reference)

So yeah, don't freak out too much when test day seems really awful.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
had a quick question. took my exam on july 5. should i expect scores in 4 weeks or will have to wait till september 6.

Reactions: 1 user
wait so can someone clarify if it is 4 or 3 weeks after test date.

It depends on what day of the week you took it. If we didn't have the score delay, it would look like this:

Third or Fourth Wednesday?
-If you take your exam on Wednesday or Thursday or Friday, then you will get your results on the third Wednesday.
-If you take your exam on Saturday or Monday or Tuesday then you will get your results on the fourth Wednesday.

It depends on what day of the week you took it. If we didn't have the score delay, it would look like this:

Third or Fourth Wednesday?
-If you take your exam on Wednesday or Thursday or Friday, then you will get your results on the third Wednesday.
-If you take your exam on Saturday or Monday or Tuesday then you will get your results on the fourth Wednesday.
According to this, the OP must have gotten their scores yesterday.

so you got your score already? nice!

hopefully you don't mind sharing your experience
yea lol. i should have checked my account directly since i assumed that if i did not get an email, my scores would not have been posted. anyways passed first of all LOL. thank god. 230-240 range. exam was straight forward with few wtf questions per block. btw nothing like uworld though. very similar to NBMEs. short Q stems though. good luck to anyone taking it or waiting for scores.

How was your experience and when did you take it?

Took July 15th. Very though exam, had trouble finishing most blocks. First two blocks were hardest, then rest were pretty even. But though exam overall just hoping that I got close to how i did on step 1.

I wonder how many questions one can miss and still get over a 240. Hopefully its at least 50 questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took July 15th. Very though exam, had trouble finishing most blocks. First two blocks were hardest, then rest were pretty even. But though exam overall just hoping that I got close to how i did on step 1.

I wonder how many questions one can miss and still get over a 240. Hopefully its at least 50 questions.

congrats!!!!!
I wish you all the luck for a great score.
How you found difficulty wise the exam, compared to shelves/UW/UWSA/NBME?

The number of qs you missed doesn't determine your score. Your performance compared to others who take the same test does. If you missed 50 qs and the average test taker missed, say, 100, then you are going to get a very high score.

congrats!!!!!
I wish you all the luck for a great score.
How you found difficulty wise the exam, compared to shelves/UW/UWSA/NBME?

I thought it was easier than school shelf exams, but i never had trouble finishing school shelf exams. The real thing just required a lot more thinking then uworld qs or maybe i just overthought. Never did uworld self assessments. Harder than NBME 4/6. Also did NMBE 7 just for questions not for a score, glad i did as there were a few similar questions on my exam.

As far as comparing to uworld I would say not really. However, 60-70% of uworld that covers the same concepts that will show up does prepare you well.

I have an IMG buddy preparing for CK. He wants to do an observership for a month after his first read of UW. Is it advisable?

P.S. He wants to take it ASAP with target above 250. Step 1 is in low 210s. :D @CingulateGyro @StuartLiu

For perspective, I am a US MD student. I am not sure what observerships entail so I can't comment on that. But I would do UW more than one time. It is the best reasource. I don't have a great memory so doing it multiple times solidified the concepts for me but everyone is different! I would take the exam after scoring well on UWSA in full simulated conditions (full nine hours)

But, as long as he identifies what went wrong with step 1 and *changes* his study habits accordingly he will have a better shot of doing well. Doing the same thing as step 1 will likely result in a similar score on step 2.

what was the mean and sd for ur test in July
We really need a PSA for means and SDs. The only data that is reported is the mean and SD for all for US and Canadian first time test takers (DOs and IMGs/FMGs not included) from the PREVIOUS year. It has nothing to do with the test YOU took. It doesn't change from week to week. It's technically old data that they give you for a rough idea.

For perspective, I am a US MD student. I am not sure what observerships entail so I can't comment on that. But I would do UW more than one time. It is the best reasource. I don't have a great memory so doing it multiple times solidified the concepts for me but everyone is different! I would take the exam after scoring well on UWSA in full simulated conditions (full nine hours)

But, as long as he identifies what went wrong with step 1 and *changes* his study habits accordingly he will have a better shot of doing well. Doing the same thing as step 1 will likely result in a similar score on step 2.
thank you man. Observership is like clinical rotation hands-off! shadowing thingy.
So doing questions more is the best strategy here.
what about case files and shelf notes as resources to solidify the concepts?

We really need a PSA for means and SDs. The only data that is reported is the mean and SD for all for US and Canadian first time test takers (DOs and IMGs/FMGs not included) from the PREVIOUS year. It has nothing to do with the test YOU took. It doesn't change from week to week. It's technically old data that they give you for a rough idea.
no coz since july 1st 2016 the no of questions dropped from 44 per block to 40 per block. that's why they give mean upto June end 2016. Wanted to know the new mean and sd after july 2016.thanks

Hello everyone... I am a DO looking to go ACGME and AOA...
Step 1: 230+
So far... its been disappointing on the practices:

UWorld: First pass in the low 60's, then 80%+ on second attempt (both throughout third year); MTB throughout third year

NBME 3: 198 (wtf?)
NBME 4: 237
UWSA 1 (Mid april): 240
NBME 7: 203 (wtf?)
UWSA 2: 232 (taken two weeks ago... disappointing drop)
NBME 1 (offline, many suggest looks like NBME 6): 85.9% (taken off line so don't know 3 digit score)

Working on the kaplan qbank this week... practice test tomorrow with Kaplan and Free 150 on Saturday before exam on Monday... any thoughts on how I can improve... ?
any updates?

We Won't forget this.

Reactions: 3 users
For those expecting your scores to be released tomorrow, did you permit disappear?

Last edited: