USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Test in 5 days.. took NBME4 and UWSA1, only have time for 1 more if I want to finish all uworld questions on time.
UWSA2+free 150 vs NBME7+free 150 ? Heard some terrible things about nbme 7 but if I'm going to learn from it more than uwsa2 I'll take it.

The exam felt like a harder UWSA 2.

I'd take UWSA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dang man. UWSA2 sucked lol. I take mine tomorrow. Not feeling good at all.
She's right. The rest was like UWSA2 on steroid. However it's good going in knowing this. When I took the test I was expecting something like the Free 120, so you can imagine the shock I had.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang man. UWSA2 sucked lol. I take mine tomorrow. Not feeling good at all.

It did suck.
The real exam felt a lot like uwsa 2 and I agree once you know it, your mind will be ready lol

I honestly thought the real exam would be easier than Step 1.
So many people had told me it's okay, nothing to worry about etc and I just wasn't mentally ready for a hardcore exam.

You will be fine, tho. Just don't doubt yourself.

It did suck.
The real exam felt a lot like uwsa 2 and I agree once you know it, your mind will be ready lol

I honestly thought the real exam would be easier than Step 1.
So many people had told me it's okay, nothing to worry about etc and I just wasn't mentally ready for a hardcore exam.

You will be fine, tho. Just don't doubt yourself.

Yeah, I'm not ready either. I hope you're right! My timing has been terrible, but I haven't had issues on shelf exams or anything else. My scores are weird and frustrating. Just not ready to do this but ready to be done.

Yeah, I'm not ready either. I hope you're right! My timing has been terrible, but I haven't had issues on shelf exams or anything else. My scores are weird and frustrating. Just not ready to do this but ready to be done.

You will never feel 100% ready.
My timing sucked while doing uwsas.
I ran out of time a lot but during the real exam it happened only twice towards the end.

If I managed time well, you will do so as well.
Believe me. I hadn't had shelves for a few years lol I'm an IMG.

Go and beat this exam.

I don't know how i did but just take it and get it over with.

I know you will be fine :)

Hello all! Even I'm searching for solace here!!! Took the exam today and it beat the hell out of me!!
I'm an IMG, YOG- 2011, completed anesthesiology residency in home country in 2015
Step 1- 244
Step 2 cs passed in first attempt
Studied for ck for roughly 2 1/2 months.
UWSA1- 250
UWSA2- 237
Nbme6- 237
Nbme7- 209!!!!!
Couldn't postpone my exam cuz I wanna apply this cycle

The exam felt really terrible today.. in every block I have atleast 10 questions I wasn't sure of the answer. I feel I have close to 40-50 answers wrong.. I think I have marked wrong answers for even some simple ones.. my last block was a total mess! Vague questions and exhaustion! I badly wanted to cross atleast 240 on this one and now I feel I need to prepare myself for a disaster!

Hello all! Even I'm searching for solace here!!! Took the exam today and it beat the hell out of me!!
I'm an IMG, YOG- 2011, completed anesthesiology residency in home country in 2015
Step 1- 244
UWSA1- 250
UWSA2- 237
Nbme6- 237
Nbme7- 209!!!!!

The exam felt really terrible today.. in every block I have atleast 10 questions I wasn't sure of the answer. I feel I have close to 40-50 answers wrong.. I think I have marked wrong answers for even some simple ones.. my last block was a total mess! Vague questions and exhaustion! I badly wanted to cross atleast 240 on this one and now I feel I need to prepare myself for a disaster!
what makes the exam harder? the questions wording or difficulty OR the answers!?

Step 1- 244
UWSA1- 250
UWSA2- 237
Nbme6- 237
Nbme7- 209!!!!!

Hi there!
I know what you're feeling now.
I've been going through the same thing since I took my exam (last Tuesday).

My UWSAs were both 243. Did not take any NBMEs.
Did Uworld once 69-70%

I felt ready, I wasn't expecting 260 but I thought I would get 240.

The exam crushed me. First half was okay but the last 2 blocks were awful.
I mean, I was already exhausted by this time.

I already now about 24 incorrect answers and almost 40-50 that I remember and I'm I think sure what is the correct answer.

I feel exactly the same way.

The test was difficult and exhausting.

Let's just hope for the best. As someone said before, if it was tough, it was though to everyone...
this is what I'm hoping for.

Hi, everyone. I am getting around 90% on UW now, I ended my last read of UW at 87.1% and now I am getting around 90% average. I did UWSA1 on 15th June and got a 236 so I postponed because I wanted 240+ and after that, I have done UW 1.75 times(Total I have done it like 4.75 times). In between I did UWSA2 but I kind of wasted it as I panicked and scored nothing compared to UWSA1 and got a 220. Now I have my exam in two days. I can do UWSA1 again as I didn't see the answers but as for UWSA2 I did see some answers and I remember like 8-9 questions. I can do one more assessment before exam day, What do you guys suggest? Should I do UWSA1 or FRED or nothing? I am looking for a 240+. Also what percentage on Fred according to you guys is good for 240+?

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. I am getting around 90% on UW now, I ended my last read of UW at 87.1% and now I am getting around 90% average. I did UWSA1 on 15th June and got a 236 so I postponed because I wanted 240+ and after that, I have done UW 1.75 times(Total I have done it like 4.75 times). In between I did UWSA2 but I kind of wasted it as I panicked and scored nothing compared to UWSA1 and got a 220. Now I have my exam in two days. I can do UWSA1 again as I didn't see the answers but as for UWSA2 I did see some answers and I remember like 8-9 questions. I can do one more assessment before exam day, What do you guys suggest? Should I do UWSA1 or FRED or nothing? I am looking for a 240+. Also what percentage on Fred according to you guys is good for 240+?

FRED is good , 80 % and above will be a great mark

I will not do any assessment 2 days prior to my exam !!

Hopefully, you will do great :angelic:;)

Members don't see this ad :)
what makes the exam harder? the questions wording or difficulty OR the answers!?

Hey..I felt many questions were vague.. kind of it was hard to pick b/w 2 options.. I took a lot of time for such questions.
Thanks to this forum, I was prepared for the fact that the exam is gonna be difficult. But I felt most questions were much different from u world..
And too many ethics questions!

Hi there!
I know what you're feeling now.
I've been going through the same thing since I took my exam (last Tuesday).

My UWSAs were both 243. Did not take any NBMEs.
Did Uworld once 69-70%

I felt ready, I wasn't expecting 260 but I thought I would get 240.

The exam crushed me. First half was okay but the last 2 blocks were awful.
I mean, I was already exhausted by this time.

I already now about 24 incorrect answers and almost 40-50 that I remember and I'm I think sure what is the correct answer.

I feel exactly the same way.

The test was difficult and exhausting.

Let's just hope for the best. As someone said before, if it was tough, it was though to everyone...
this is what I'm hoping for.

Hi Joanna 1987,
Thank you so much for the support. I feel less anxious now:) yes now let's just hope and pray that we some good news!!

Zero biostats!! Wish I get that lucky.

I got one biostat question that required actual calculation. I got two multi-Q passages that had you conceptually analyze the statistics presented in the drug ad.

UWSA 1 243 ( 1 months back)
NBME 6 220 ( 10 days back)
UWSA 2 228 (1 day ago)

U world Ist go tutor mode - 65%
U world 2nd go timed random mode - 80%
Targwt 240+
Exam in 3 days
What should I do in last 3 days to improve

Took it today. Was pretty rough tbh. It was pretty much like UW/UWSA topic-wise but the answers seemed like I could only narrow it to two a lot of the time. I thought people were making it up but it's real lol.
I've never been the best with dedicated study. I can't keep focused for a long time so I ended up averaging like 4-5 hr/day over the 2.5 weeks I studied.

Step 1 241
Shelf exams 75-85
NBME 4 (1 mo) 205 (wtf? how is this possible)
Reset UW (had 1700 left from the year lmao)
UW pass 73% (had 900 questions left when I took exam)
NBME 7 245 (10 days-Oh yay going to get a boost when I take UWSAs and I will be happy!)
NBME 6 92% (did offline idk what this translates to)
UWSA 2 246 (9 days- wtf? well people say it's hard but I can't wait to take UWSA1 and get that boost!)
- became kinda depressed and didn't study for 3 days
UWSA 1 243 (3 days- omg I'm going backwards how is this happening? I've never scored below average on any shelf I'm so confused!)
Free 120 90% (1day)

Well there you have it. I'm not meant for dedicated periods. I can't keep up with the rest of ya'll pumping through qbanks 12 hours/day. Hoping to land 250 but who knows. Was a hard exam. I marked probably ~15 per block on average. Most of those were 50/50s and some were just wtf.

Also WTF IS with all the US Army, Navy, and Marines on this exam? The questions didn't even have anything to do with that most of the time lol.

Took it today. Was pretty rough tbh. It was pretty much like UW/UWSA topic-wise but the answers seemed like I could only narrow it to two a lot of the time. I thought people were making it up but it's real lol.
I've never been the best with dedicated study. I can't keep focused for a long time so I ended up averaging like 4-5 hr/day over the 2.5 weeks I studied.

Step 1 241
Shelf exams 75-85
NBME 7 245 (10 days-Oh yay going to get a boost when I take UWSAs and I will be happy!)
UWSA 2 246 (9 days- wtf? well people say it's hard but I can't wait to take UWSA1 and get that boost!)
UWSA 1 243 (3 days- omg I'm going backwards how is this happening? I've never scored below average on any shelf I'm so confused!)
Free 120 90% (1day)

Well there you have it. I'm not meant for dedicated periods. I can't keep up with the rest of ya'll pumping through qbanks 12 hours/day. Hoping to land 250 but who knows. Was a hard exam. I marked probably ~15 per block on average. Most of those were 50/50s and some were just wtf.

Also WTF IS with all the US Army, Navy, and Marines on this exam? The questions didn't even have anything to do with that most of the time lol.
you are right. Mine was also full of army, navy and marine stuffs and I was kinda amused as they kept on appearing throughout the blocks and in every blocks. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
So I decided to postpone my exam as I wasn't feeling good about it. Will take it on 11th September and apply like 15 days late rather than applying with a bad score.

Step 1 241
Shelf exams 75-85
Free 120 90% (1day)

Thank you for your honest review, friend. It was wonderfully frank and I can empathize a lot with your sentiments. Also, kudos to you for knowing "you" and accepting that and making the most of it and not succumbing to external pressures to be different than what you are. Congratulations, and welcome to the party.

Wrote it yesterday and felt I got nothing right and was guessing a lot, anyone else feel like that after?

Reactions: 2 users

Step 1 241
Shelf exams 75-85
Free 120 90% (1day)

Congrats on being done! Was there a lot of biostats/ drug ads on your exam? Would you say uworld is enough for most of the topics on the exam? Taking it soon and freaking out.

I took it today.

TERRIBLE.

I thought people were exaggerating when they said it was harder than Step 1. Welp, they were right.

I really want to know why it was almost every other question a US military personnel was the patient - makes me wonder if they're insinuating something with this current political situation we have going on :eyebrow:

Thank you for your honest review, friend. It was wonderfully frank and I can empathize a lot with your sentiments. Also, kudos to you for knowing "you" and accepting that and making the most of it and not succumbing to external pressures to be different than what you are. Congratulations, and welcome to the party.

I really try to be as transparent and helpful as possible. Thanks a lot! Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty competitive person when it comes down to it but I feel like too many people try to be someone they aren't. It's important to get to know yourself in this regard because the stress can make you physically sick.

Congrats on being done! Was there a lot of biostats/ drug ads on your exam? Would you say uworld is enough for most of the topics on the exam? Taking it soon and freaking out.

1 drug ad. Not a lot of biostats or straight up ethics but a lot of random, weird questions that I can't even explain. Like ethics/hospital policy/research type questions. I wouldn't quite say UWorld is enough to master the exam but there isn't anything else to prepare you for it so it's all you've got. I used strictly UWorld (and barely finished over half) and I think it was fairly representative of the topics covered.

Reactions: 1 users
I took it today.

TERRIBLE.

I thought people were exaggerating when they said it was harder than Step 1. Welp, they were right.

I really want to know why it was almost every other question a US military personnel was the patient - makes me wonder if they're insinuating something with this current political situation we have going on :eyebrow:

Took it yesterday and I had the EXACT things you spoke of regarding military and political agenda. I also had some very WEIRD questions regarding hospital safety and protocol along with questions testing stage of drug trial and types of prevention. At this point I just hope I passed.

Reactions: 3 users
Took it yesterday and I had the EXACT things you spoke of regarding military and political agenda. I also had some very WEIRD questions regarding hospital safety and protocol along with questions testing stage of drug trial and types of prevention. At this point I just hope I passed.

Same here :( had questions about clinical trials, prevention, weird examples of sexual abuse/possibility of sexual abuse, VERY WEIRD ortho...

I'm so scared ugh!

Same here :( had questions about clinical trials, prevention, weird examples of sexual abuse/possibility of sexual abuse, VERY WEIRD ortho...

I'm so scared ugh!

Yup, you and me both! I'm honestly praying to sweet baby Jesus I passed. I honestly don't know how people have been scoring 260's and 270's on this thing. My last two blocks were a complete s**t show. I was mentally drained and was running out of time.

Reactions: 5 users
Yup, you and me both! I'm honestly praying to sweet baby Jesus I passed. I honestly don't know how people have been scoring 260's and 270's on this thing. My last two blocks were a complete s**t show. I was mentally drained and was running out of time.

Wow, your experience is so similar to mine... First 4 blocks were so so, 5th and 6th were getting bad but the last two were a total disaster. I was not only exhausted at this point (6 hours of the exam plus lack of sleep) but the questions were just out of this world.

I tried very hard to read them carefully and think hard but the answers were just so weird. I swear, they made PUD look like it was a rare tropical disease.

Ob/Gyn was the worst. I reviewed onlinemeded notes and UW notes (obgyn) 2 days before the test and still couldn't come up with an answer to some questions... Ladies had literally 2-3 diseases that needed to be taken care of but I was supposed to decide which test should go first. Awful.

It's been 9 days since my exam and I'm just sinking. So effing scared I failed it. I wasn't getting 260 on my practice exams, but 243 and stuff was supposed to give me at least pass lol

I either failed or got a 210. It was rough. Except my monster blocks were in the beginning and then towards the end it eased up...only a tiny bit. I'm thankful I'm an RN and just renewed that license this year as a back up and did my mandatory CEs for the state of FL... because otherwise I wouldn't have known some of the admin/hospital policy/prevention of medical errors type stuff that I was surprised to see. Fingers crossed.

I either failed or got a 210. It was rough. Except my monster blocks were in the beginning and then towards the end it eased up...only a tiny bit. I'm thankful I'm an RN and just renewed that license this year as a back up and did my mandatory CEs for the state of FL... because otherwise I wouldn't have known some of the admin/hospital policy/prevention of medical errors type stuff that I was surprised to see. Fingers crossed.
I definitely feel the same way!that sucks they laid it into you in the beginning; they really just want to break your confidence. That's awesome that you had your experience as an RN to help you out. I could have definitely used it with some of admin/policy/prevention stuff. I guess the only thing we can do is hope there is a GENEROUS curve. Lol

I definitely feel the same way!that sucks they laid it into you in the beginning; they really just want to break your confidence. That's awesome that you had your experience as an RN to help you out. I could have definitely used it with some of admin/policy/prevention stuff. I guess the only thing we can do is hope there is a GENEROUS curve. Lol
Honestly though... those questions probably only kept me afloat to pass :laugh: otherwise I agree I have no idea how people are scoring 260+ on these because it was just ridiculous. There better be a beautiful curve.

Even sweet baby Jesus is praying that he passed.

Reactions: 3 users
Glad to see that many others are in the same boat as me. Like that, the likelihood of failing all of us is lower.

You don't take Step 2; Step 2 takes you!

Reactions: 6 users
Glad to see that many others are in the same boat as me. Like that, the likelihood of failing all of us is lower.

You don't take Step 2; Step 2 takes you!
Ikr, this exam was brutal starting on question 1 for me. There were like 5 questions I did not even read properly because of timing issues. After getting a very good step 1 score, passing step 2 cs, doing almost 2 Qbank-Step2, I thought I was ready for anything. I could not have been more wrong. Interesting enough I think I did well on step 1 content, but got a feeling those questions are only there for them to assess retention, not for grading (I think they wrote that at some point)

@Joanna1987 @parcus @bluemagik5 @Ibn Alnafis MD @breadlover72
Do you guys think exam was like having multiple answers for one question??
I mean if they evaluate like "A" is the best choice 2 points for it....."C" is next to best and 1 point for it...others are wrong 0 points.

P.S. Thoughts of marines questions you guys said are killing me still!!! :D
Hey, don't worry about those army and navy stuffs. They are just patients demographics and most of the time, nothing to do with the actual content they are testing. Good luck

I mean if they evaluate like "A" is the best choice 2 points for it....."C" is next to best and 1 point for it...others are wrong 0 points.

Well, regarding the assigned points I have no clue. Now, I will say that on MANY questions I had 2-3 CORRECT ANSWER CHOICES but as you know only one is the most correct. Also, they will be douche bags and give you the correct steps in management for example: (THIS WAS NOT ON MY TEST) you can get corticosteroid, IVIG therapy, and plasmapheresis for treatment of multiple sclerosis. However, you HAVE to ensure you note the TIME OF ONSET and DURATION to pick the right one (hint: steroid for acute exacerbation and the rest for remitting MS not responding to steroid treatment). They did this type of bulls**t on MANY occasions during the exam. Also, you will encounter stuff you've probably never seen before along with giving you options to some questions you are left wondering WTF.

Well, regarding the assigned points I have no clue. Now, I will say that on MANY questions I had 2-3 CORRECT ANSWER CHOICES but as you know only one is the most correct. Also, they will be douche bags and give you the correct steps in management for example: (THIS WAS NOT ON MY TEST) you can get corticosteroid, IVIG therapy, and plasmapheresis for treatment of multiple sclerosis. However, you HAVE to ensure you note the TIME OF ONSET and DURATION to pick the right one (hint: steroid for acute exacerbation and the rest for remitting MS not responding to steroid treatment). They did this type of bulls**t on MANY occasions during the exam. Also, you will encounter stuff you've probably never seen before along with giving you options to some questions you are left wondering WTF.

The worst is when you read the question and your mind says "mwahaha I know the answer to this one" and then two seconds later your rereading answer options because the one you were certain was right is not even there. I had that happen a few times. It's disheartening

I don't think so... I'm pretty sure there were many questions that I could come up with 2-3 correct answers but I think they have their algorithm and you kind of need to choose...

Pretty crappy. I'm trying not to think about it so much but I just can't. Keep going through the questions I remember but have no clue what answer should be (almost 50) and it just drives me crazy.

I got 70% on UWSA2 which correlated to 243. I have no idea how i'm supposed to get this much on a real deal.

I recently read somewhere that you need 65% (more or less) to pass? Anyone has any info?