USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope so :)

~ 2 hours left
I'm pretty sure you're gonna get it today! :)

I'm jealous lol I'm taking the beast on Aug
15th :/

How was your experience? Was it as crazy as people say it is?
Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you're gonna get it today! :)

I'm jealous lol I'm taking the beast on Aug
15th :/

How was your experience? Was it as crazy as people say it is?
Goodluck!

Hope soooo :unsure:

Go ahead, its not that hard,

do Qs as much as u can , I did
kaplans qbank 70 %
Uworld ( twice ) 74 % then 95 %
IM essentials 90 %
Pretest all except psych
150 Qs 84%
NBME 6 and 7
UWSA - 1 244
UWSA - 2 254

The best thing to do a week prior to ur exam is to do kaplans 9 hrs test 1 and 2 , then the real deal will be much more easier in the term of time management

thank u toooo much ,

do ur best , u can do it :heckyeah:

kaplans qbank 70 %
IM essentials 90 %
Pretest all except psych
150 Qs 84%
NBME 6 and 7
UWSA - 1 244
UWSA - 2 254

The best thing to do a week prior to ur exam is to do kaplans 9 hrs test 1 and 2 , then the real deal will be much more easier in the term of time management

thank u toooo much ,

Wow! You did an amazing job!!!
I really hope you get 260, you totally deserved it :)
I won't be able to do UWorld twice :( but I have made notes and going through them as much as I can, I hope it helps!

Will do the Kaplan thing!!! Thank you so much!

Again, fingers crossed! Let us know :)

kaplans qbank 70 %
IM essentials 90 %
Pretest all except psych
150 Qs 84%
NBME 6 and 7
UWSA - 1 244
UWSA - 2 254

thank u toooo much ,

Please update us if you got your score back.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-2_18-23-50.png
    upload_2017-8-2_18-23-50.png
    71 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Anyone feel like a second pass of the Texas shelf review videos would be worth the time in preparing for CK? I did a first pass studying for shelf exams.

I finished a second pass of U World a week before CK and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my time. Already read MTB (mostly useless book with gross inaccuracies in my opinion, especially in the OB/gyn section, but then I've never really liked using textbooks) and I'm most of the way through a second pass of OME. I took NBME 6, 7 and both UWSAs. Already went through my incorrects but I could reset and start a third U world pass (first was during rotations).

I would recommend rewatching the Texas videos. I did before my test and found it to be helpful (CK score 266)

Members don't see this ad :)
Took on 7/13. Didn't get anything. Permit link is there but permit doesn't open when I click on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested on 7/7 and my permit disappeared last night. I just went back and looked at my application and my eligibility ended 7/31 so I think it was that more than impending score release. I haven't gotten an email re: scores from NBME nor is my score posted.

I tested on 7/7 and my permit disappeared last night. I just went back and looked at my application and my eligibility ended 7/31 so I think it was that more than impending score release. I haven't gotten an email re: scores from NBME nor is my score posted.
Looks like we might have to actually wait until sept...

Very strange. Some have their permits disappeared while others from the same testing period still have their permits

After one poster who took the exam on July 5 got results, I was hoping we may also get them before September.. guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens :nailbiting:

Took it today. My experience is maybe somewhat dissimilar to others. I had mostly fairly short stems (compared to most U world questions) although I did get a few full-pagers. There were two blocks that I felt were similar in difficulty to U world, one that was full of terrible. The rest were a mix of some gimmes, some U world-level, and a handful of wtf whackadoo way out there. Finished most blocks with 5-15 min left.

I agree with others that it doesn't give as much info as U world where the diagnosis is pretty clear in a two or three step question. They do give enough info to figure it out (at least on my form), but it's more subtle sometimes. Like someone presenting with a c diff kind of picture where they don't tell you that they had antibiotics but they say they give it to you by saying the patient had a surgery where you would have to know antibiotic prophylaxis would have been indicated in the right timeframe for it to be c diff.

Really not sure what kind of score to expect. Just want to beat my step 1 at this point.

Also, @Joanna1987 , the Texas videos are each two hours long, but you can speed it up to 2x. I think they're worth watching. I did one more pass on them last week.

And finally, why the heck was every single one of my endocrine questions (like 10 of them) about amenorrhea? And why did I have not one but TWO Werdnig-Hoffman questions in one block? USMLE, your test setup logic escapes me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Took it today. My experience is maybe somewhat dissimilar to others. I had mostly fairly short stems (compared to most U world questions) although I did get a few full-pagers. There were two blocks that I felt were similar in difficulty to U world, one that was full of terrible. The rest were a mix of some gimmes, some U world-level, and a handful of wtf whackadoo way out there. Finished most blocks with 5-15 min left.

I agree with others that it doesn't give as much info as U world where the diagnosis is pretty clear in a two or three step question. They do give enough info to figure it out (at least on my form), but it's more subtle sometimes. Like someone presenting with a c diff kind of picture where they don't tell you that they had antibiotics but they say they give it to you by saying the patient had a surgery where you would have to know antibiotic prophylaxis would have been indicated in the right timeframe for it to be c diff.

Really not sure what kind of score to expect. Just want to beat my step 1 at this point.

Also, @Joanna1987 , the Texas videos are each two hours long, but you can speed it up to 2x. I think they're worth watching. I did one more pass on them last week.

And finally, why the heck was every single one of my endocrine questions (like 10 of them) about amenorrhea? And why did I have not one but TWO Werdnig-Hoffman questions in one block? USMLE, your test setup logic escapes me.

Thank you! :)
I'll watch them then! 2 hours is not bad at all :)

Did you take any UWSAs/NBMEs? I hope I get a fairly okay form as well. I know it's gonna be full of wtf etc. but knowing it's not all so horrible makes me feel better ;p
What do you think helped you the most during the exam? UW, OME, SUTM ?

Thank you! :)
I'll watch them then! 2 hours is not bad at all :)

Did you take any UWSAs/NBMEs? I hope I get a fairly okay form as well. I know it's gonna be full of wtf etc. but knowing it's not all so horrible makes me feel better ;p
What do you think helped you the most during the exam? UW, OME, SUTM ?
I agree with others, U World is definitely number one for prepping. Studying hard for shelves is key. I didn't use SUTM because I hated it. Throughout the year, I used Firecracker, OME, various books and practice questions for different shelf exams, the Texas videos, and my own flascards plus the Bros flashcards. I kept the whole flashcard deck current for the year to keep reviewing old material. I did all the practice NBMEs for each shelf.

For dedicated, I just used U World, OME, Texas videos, and MTB (terrible book, many mistakes). I also ended up going through some of my step 1 flashcards as well on top of my step 2 deck.

I also did NBME 6 and 7 and both UWSA. Hilariously, I got lower scores each time I took a practice test, so I stopped. There was a 20 point difference between the high and the low too.

I got a bunch of what I think you're calling the "wtf whackadoo" questions. They remind me of the NP questions my husband did while studying for his boards. They were a bunch of epidemiology and pick-the-best-answer junk. As in "which of the following is the best reason in the patient's history that you ordered this test" when it was the full patient picture that makes you order tests. Ridiculous! Completely not medical diagnosis. I asked my mom and husband (both are NPs) about 1 question that seemed possibly public health related and they completely knew what it was and said it was a nursing thing. My classmate got 3 versions of that same public health/nursing question.

Honestly, are they having people with doctorates of nursing write these questions? I mean that sincerely. Those questions were NOT physician oriented questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Took it on 7/24. Dreading score release. Felt like most questions had a couple of solid or equivalent answers so I ended up guessing a lot. Nice to see so many people felt similar but I am pretty sure it isn't going to turn out so great for me. I'm expecting my score most likely around the 16th roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took it on 7/24. Dreading score release. Felt like most questions had a couple of solid or equivalent answers so I ended up guessing a lot. Nice to see so many people felt similar but I am pretty sure it isn't going to turn out so great for me. I'm expecting my score most likely around the 16th roughly.

I also took the exam 7/24. Similarly dreading scores. I couldn't sleep the night before (has never been an issue for me) and never felt like I got into a groove on test day. If I could get within 10 points of my UWSA I'd be content. Also, pretty sure we're waiting until 9/6 for score release unfortunately.

What scores did you get on UWSAs?
Everyone keeps saying how Step 2 is easier than Step 1, but honestly, maybe studying for Step 2 is "easier" due to the more interesting material but the exam itself seems to be more difficult.
I'm seriously worried.

I'll see in 2 weeks... Goodluck to you and fingers crossed :)

I also took the exam 7/24. Similarly dreading scores. I couldn't sleep the night before (has never been an issue for me) and never felt like I got into a groove on test day. If I could get within 10 points of my UWSA I'd be content. Also, pretty sure we're waiting until 9/6 for score release unfortunately.
good luck for the scores!
Which part of the exam makes it more difficult you think?? clinical vignette itself is vague without much details? questions expecting concepts outta UWorld?
What is the weird factor about the exam?

Which part of the exam makes it more difficult you think?? clinical vignette itself is vague without much details? questions expecting concepts outta UWorld?

254 on UWSA 2 20 days out. (Also 230 on UWSA 1 like 3.5 months out so I'm referring more to UWSA 2.) Felt like I was getting wrecked the entire time (on both UWSAs) and seriously had a hard time believing my score on UWSA 2 (super average DO student, 230 on step 1.)

I thought it was difficult because there were enough questions not covered in uworld that left me thinking about them instead of focusing on the question at hand. Also I hadn't really ever had difficulty with timing during practice tests, but I did only end with a minute or two at most to review blocks. There are definitely questions I wanted to go back to and didn't have time to.

What scores did you get on UWSAs?
Everyone keeps saying how Step 2 is easier than Step 1, but honestly, maybe studying for Step 2 is "easier" due to the more interesting material but the exam itself seems to be more difficult.
I'm seriously worried.

I'll see in 2 weeks... Goodluck to you and fingers crossed :)

I only took the NBME4 and UWSA1 but I had a 262 and 260 on them 3 and 2 weeks out from the exam, respectively but I felt like both were more straightforward than my actual exam not to mention the 9 hours is so much more tiring than a 4 hour low stress practice exam. I have very low expectations for the outcome of this. I am kind of bummed out if I have to wait until 9/6. When I contacted NBME a few months ago they suggested that even during this time period it should only be 3-4 weeks to get scores back for most exams and that the 9/6 date was just a safety net deadline. That's a paraphrase but I'm hopeful.

I only took the NBME4 and UWSA1 but I had a 262 and 260 on them 3 and 2 weeks out from the exam, respectively but I felt like both were more straightforward than my actual exam not to mention the 9 hours is so much more tiring than a 4 hour low stress practice exam. I have very low expectations for the outcome of this. I am kind of bummed out if I have to wait until 9/6. When I contacted NBME a few months ago they suggested that even during this time period it should only be 3-4 weeks to get scores back for most exams and that the 9/6 date was just a safety net deadline. That's a paraphrase but I'm hopeful.
I hope it doesn't come before then. I don't think I want it on my transcript for ERAS. I'm not feeling like it went well and my practice tests were so all over the place I don't really know what kind of score to expect. Unlike others, my NBMEs were considerably higher than my UWSAs.

I would have liked to wait to take it until after ERAS went out but my advisor said step 2 has become really important for my specialty of choice. I also just wanted to get it over with so I didn't have to study for it on my aways.

Hi everyone, I want to ask a question. If I take my exam on 22nd August will I get my results on 13th September? That makes it 3rd Wednesday.

Hi everyone, I want to ask a question. If I take my exam on 22nd August will I get my results on 13th September? That makes it 3rd Wednesday.

Yes! It will be the 4th Wednesday for you and 3rd for people who will take it on Thursday/Friday.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping we get them before. I have a hard time believing that there won't be any score release for the next 4 weeks.

Likewise. I am in the same boat as you- took mine on 7/14. I did not do exceptionally well on Step 1 so I am hoping to recoup my losses with a high Step 2 score so the extra waiting is added salt to the wound. Damn the public school education during my youth.... :/

Last edited:

Do they do this every year or was this year particularly different for some reason?

Likewise. I am in the same boat as you- took mine on 7/14. I did not do exceptionally well on Step 1 so I am hoping to recoup my losses with a high Step 2 score so the extra waiting is added salt to the wound. Damn the public school education during my youth.... :/
We'll see if they release any scores this Wednesday. If they do, then mine and yours will probably be released next week

Do they do this every year or was this year particularly different for some reason?

I honestly do not know. I think this is a common occurrence every year. It's weird though because they seem to make it sound like anyone testing in that time frame won't get scores until sept 6th but reading through this forum it looks like there's some people who have tested in early July and have got their scores back. I don't know what to make of it. Would be nice to hear from people who tested after 7/3 and hear if any of them have received scores or not.

I honestly do not know. I think this is a common occurrence every year. It's weird though because they seem to make it sound like anyone testing in that time frame won't get scores until sept 6th but reading through this forum it looks like there's some people who have tested in early July and have got their scores back. I don't know what to make of it. Would be nice to hear from people who tested after 7/3 and hear if any of them have received scores or not.

Maybe that cohort will get their scores this week!