USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Took it yesterday. Definitely wasn't as bad as Step 1, but it still was tough. The hardest part is just being able to maintain your focus all day for over 300 questions. I had plenty of time on each block; I answered every question with 15+ minutes left on almost every block, then would have plenty of time to go back and look over any flagged questions.

It does a good job of covering pretty much every topic/disease process you would expect, and question material was pretty well distributed throughout the different clerkships in the proportion you would expect. Questions were mainly fair, though there were a handful of garbage questions that asked for the diagnosis while going out of their way to leave out information you would literally need to make the diagnosis.

Like I said, all the stuff you're expecting them to ask about, they will ask you about. With 300+ questions, there's definitely going to be some stuff you've never seen before too, but thankfully there wasn't that much. I had 2 different questions about 1 hilariously rare and random condition that I had fortunately refreshed on a couple days before.

I wouldn't necessarily say you should spend time reviewing First Aid for Step 1, but there were definitely a fair amount of questions where Step 1-ish knowledge about diseases paid off. That's all lower yield though, and I would only refresh on that stuff briefly if you already have plenty of time to devote to your other sources. Speaking of sources, I mainly just used UWorld. I did a full pass of it throughout 3rd year, then reset it and did 90% of another pass over 4.5 weeks of dedicated-ish studying (didn't have any class, but definitely didn't study all day every day like during Step 1). I did a decent amount of OME as well, which I had already done during 3rd year. I would recommend dropping the $40 for a month to get full access to everything on the site, but don't let it distract you from finishing UWorld; UW should be your first priority for sure. I also used Master the Boards, which was pretty helpful, but did get frustrating as more than a few things in there are directly contradicted by UWorld. I also listened to the Emma Holliday lectures on Surgery, IM, and Peds again a couple days before the test; psych stuff is very easy, no need to waste your time listening to her video on that unless you have way too much time to burn.

Seen a lot of people ask about ethics and biostats. Most of the ethics questions were pretty simple and fair, but these being questions written by the probably-evil USMLE question writers, there were definitely a few that either had 2 correct answers or 0 correct answers. Biostats was the easiest thing on the whole test, and I had a solid 4-5 questions about it every single block. My biostats studying entailed probably about 15 minutes a couple days before the test reviewing things; unless you're just really preposterously weak at biostats, the questions were so simple that you don't need to waste a ton of time studying up on that. The biostats questions were about 50-50 between traditional Step 1-style biostats questions and the traditional Step 2-style ones where you read a study and answer a few questions about it. Didn't have any drug ads so idk how those are.

Overall, it was about what I expected. Longer than the Mississippi, mostly fair, with only a little bit of garbage BS.

I find it odd that you had that many biostats questions on your exam because having 4-5 every block would mean it made up 10-12% which doesn't match distribution of content quoted by usmle, they say biostats/epidemiology will fall 1-5 %. Maybe a bunch of those were experimental questions in your exams.

On my exam I had at most 10 biostats questions including the abstract making up less than 5% of the exam, which falls more in line with what they quote

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is the last date we can take CK to apply this year on time i.e. 15th September?

I'd say August 15th (Tuesday). It leaves you 4 Wednesdays till Sept. 6th and 9-10 days to get the certificate.
I'm not sure, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the exam today. It pretty much sucked. Didn't feel like any of the practice NBME or USWA exams. :arghh: Finished my blocks with barely anytime time to spare while on practice exams I had 15-20 minutes to review marked items. Don't have too much to add to what other people have already said. Originally hoping for better, but I'll be happy with an average-ish score.

What scores did you get on self-assessments?

Have you used OME? I'm using OME and UW primary and hoping for the best...

I know every form is different but just curious.

How many of you 240-260+ scorers think you might have gotten more than 50 questions wrong on the real thing?

I find it odd that you had that many biostats questions on your exam because having 4-5 every block would mean it made up 10-12% which doesn't match distribution of content quoted by usmle, they say biostats/epidemiology will fall 1-5 %. Maybe a bunch of those were experimental questions in your exams.

On my exam I had at most 10 biostats questions including the abstract making up less than 5% of the exam, which falls more in line with what they quote

I didn't expect to have that many, but I definitely did. I had a study with 3 associated questions on every single block, with another 1-2 solo questions. Do they do experimental questions on Step 2? I know they did on Step 1, but i didn't think so for Step 2.

I didn't expect to have that many, but I definitely did. I had a study with 3 associated questions on every single block, with another 1-2 solo questions. Do they do experimental questions on Step 2? I know they did on Step 1, but i didn't think so for Step 2.

Wow you had multiple abstracts with associated questions on your exam? I only had one of those. And yeah I believe they put experimental Qs on all step exams. I could be wrong of course, but how else would they get their data on how good the Qs are?

Wow you had multiple abstracts with associated questions on your exam? I only had one of those. And yeah I believe they put experimental Qs on all step exams. I could be wrong of course, but how else would they get their data on how good the Qs are?

Yep had an abstract on every block. Didn't have a single drug ad though.

I'm so scared for tomorrow. My 2nd and 3rd blocks were a nightmare. Guessed on the final 5 of block 2 and 2 in block 3 because I ran out of time..Just praying that what everyone says about post test feelings and reality is true :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm so scared for tomorrow. My 2nd and 3rd blocks were a nightmare. Guessed on the final 5 of block 2 and 2 in block 3 because I ran out of time..Just praying that what everyone says about post test feelings and reality is true :unsure:
But you were able to pull together after block 3 it seems! Keep your head up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as an IMG I got the email on 9:13AM EST.
Took it Jun 27, score available Jul 26.
UWSA1: 255 (5 wks)
NBME 6: 260 (3 wks)
NBME 7: 235 (2 wks)
Real CK score: 265
Step 1 score: 256

Wish you all good luck!
I found that many questions were difficult and were harder beyond expectations!

Reactions: 2 users
236 step 2. Walking out of the exam, I was pretty sure I failed it. Anyone know how much step 2 is weighed for IM?

Step 1 - 218
UWSA1 - 240
UWSA2 - 230
Step 2 - 241

I know it's not a set-the-world-on-fire score by SDN standards, but I'm pretty damn happy. Should keep me in the running for EM.
Just did Uworld and OnlineMedEd to prepare, not a thousand different resources.
:thumbup:

Reactions: 6 users
What scores did you get on self-assessments?

Have you used OME? I'm using OME and UW primary and hoping for the best...

My last 3 practice exams ranged from 240 (USWA) to 249 (NBME 6). I used OME/UW throughout 3rd year and made foundation study notes from that and mainly used UW during my dedicated study time.

Longtime lurker, figured I would post my experiences.

Step 1: 241

Step 2 test date: 6/24

NBME Form 3: 232 (took prior to studying)

UWSA1: 269 (roughly 2.5 weeks later)

NBME Form 6: 262 (a few days after UWSA)

Step 2 CK: 270

For studying I went through UWorld twice and read through Step 2 Secrets twice. Other than that I just used a few shelf resources for specific topics (Case files for OB etc)

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, as an IMG I got the email on 9:13AM EST.
Took it Jun 27, score available Jul 26.
UWSA1: 255 (5 wks)
NBME 6: 260 (3 wks)
NBME 7: 235 (2 wks)
Real CK score: 265
Step 1 score: 256

Wish you all good luck!
I found that many questions were difficult and were harder beyond expectations!
mind sharing your sources??

Longtime lurker, figured I would post my experiences.

Step 1: 241

Step 2 test date: 6/24

NBME Form 3: 232 (took prior to studying)

UWSA1: 269 (roughly 2.5 weeks later)

NBME Form 6: 262 (a few days after UWSA)

Step 2 CK: 270

For studying I went through UWorld twice and read through Step 2 Secrets twice. Other than that I just used a few shelf resources for specific topics (Case files for OB etc)

what was the mean and sd of ur test?

3rd year NBME shelf exams: all ^90 percentile (*try to master these exams! very helpful*)... step 1: 254
250 UWSA 1: towards end of third year, before comp
99 NBME Clinical Comp thru my school: 8w out
258 UWSA 2: 2w out
240 NBME 7: 3d out
255 NBME 4: 1d out

CK: 267

Took CK 6/30, got score today @ 9:30 (4th wednesdays). Spent 2 weeks of study time right after third year finishing UWORLD, used very few other resources. I had a lot more dread regarding this test than I ever had following step 1, probably because the questions are more vague. My best advice is to study during clerkships and do well, as a lot of the hard questions are specific clinical scenarios that you are likely to see in a real patient. Also- my test had a ton of anticipatory guidance and preventative care that isn't specifically taught by anyone- for example, what things can you do to make an old man have fewer falls at home? What are sunscreen recommendations? etc etc... Things you only really learn with practice and more patient care.
All of my classmates who put a lot into their clinical rotations have improved 10-15 pts from their step 1, so take that anecdotal evidence for what its worth. Multiple friends jumped 20+ points.

Someone asked how many questions I think I got wrong- honestly, there were SO MANY that I didn't know/wasn't sure of that I could not possibly quantify this number.

Thanks for all the posts on this thread! I constantly used them to get study ideas, score estimates, and figure out what my NBMEs meant. Your sharing helped me a lot :D ... Good luck to all those about to take the exam.

PS Someone asked above about most recent mean/SD: On 7/26 it was reported 242/17

Reactions: 3 users
3rd year NBME shelf exams: all ^90 percentile (*try to master these exams! very helpful*)... step 1: 254
250 UWSA 1: towards end of third year, before comp
99 NBME Clinical Comp thru my school: 8w out
258 UWSA 2: 2w out
240 NBME 7: 3d out
255 NBME 4: 1d out

CK: 267

Took CK 6/30, got score today @ 9:30 (4th wednesdays). Spent 2 weeks of study time right after third year finishing UWORLD, used very few other resources. I had a lot more dread regarding this test than I ever had following step 1, probably because the questions are more vague. My best advice is to study during clerkships and do well, as a lot of the hard questions are specific clinical scenarios that you are likely to see in a real patient. Also- my test had a ton of anticipatory guidance and preventative care that isn't specifically taught by anyone- for example, what things can you do to make an old man have fewer falls at home? What are sunscreen recommendations? etc etc... Things you only really learn with practice and more patient care.
All of my classmates who put a lot into their clinical rotations have improved 10-15 pts from their step 1, so take that anecdotal evidence for what its worth. Multiple friends jumped 20+ points.

Someone asked how many questions I think I got wrong- honestly, there were SO MANY that I didn't know/wasn't sure of that I could not possibly quantify this number.

Thanks for all the posts on this thread! I constantly used them to get study ideas, score estimates, and figure out what my NBMEs meant. Your sharing helped me a lot :D ... Good luck to all those about to take the exam.

PS Someone asked above about most recent mean/SD: On 7/26 it was reported 242/17

Awesome score! Congrats!

UWSA1: 255
UWSA2: 250
NBME 7: 244

Step 2 CK: 239 (got 239 on step 1 as well)

I am in shock and disbelief, my goal was at least a 250. No idea what went wrong - I felt fine after the test...

mind sharing your sources??
Thanks for asking.
I've tried FA, MTB, and Secrets. It turned out that I only read Ob/Gyn in MTB, and also chapter 1/Ob/Gyn of Secrets. I do so because I haven't been in touch with these subjects for 10 years.
I found reading these materials generally time consuming, and were of low-yield (except for the above).

I focus only on UWorld, and I mark and re-do all questions. For anyone with time constraints, just FOCUS on UWorld.

Anyone feel like a second pass of the Texas shelf review videos would be worth the time in preparing for CK? I did a first pass studying for shelf exams.

I finished a second pass of U World a week before CK and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my time. Already read MTB (mostly useless book with gross inaccuracies in my opinion, especially in the OB/gyn section, but then I've never really liked using textbooks) and I'm most of the way through a second pass of OME. I took NBME 6, 7 and both UWSAs. Already went through my incorrects but I could reset and start a third U world pass (first was during rotations).

Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK: 265

Level 1: 695
Level 2: 803

NBME 3: 258, NBME 7: 237, NBME 6: 249

UWSA 1 & 2: 264

The UWorld assessments were definitely more predictive for me than the NBMEs. I basically studied throughout the year for the shelf exams. I ended up getting honors in all of my shelf exams (COMATs). Used UWorld, Combank, and OnlineMedEd as my main resources. I felt like I learned the most by doing questions. I used most of my studying time going over the explanations in UWorld (even if I got the questions right). The questions I got wrong from UWorld, I would annotate them in First Aid for Step 2 CK book. However, I did not have much time to go back and re-read this annotated information. I had about less than three weeks of dedicated studying time, and re-did about 70% of UWorld and re-watched most of the internal medicine OME videos. Below is a list of resources I used for each shelf exam.

Psychiatry: First Aid for Psych, psych chapter of FA for step 2, UWorld, Combank, UT Emma Holliday videos, OME
Family Medicine: Ambulatory section of step up to medicine, Combank, free AAFP questions
Internal Medicine: some sections of step up to medicine, UWorld, Combank, UT Emma Holliday videos, OME
Surgery: UWorld, Combank, OME, Pestana’s
Ob/Gyn: UWorld, Combank, OME, UWise modules, Ob/Gyn chapter of FA for step 2
Pediatrics: UWorld, Combank, OME, UT Emma Holliday videos, peds chapter of FA for step 2

Hope this helps and let me know if you guys have any questions!

Step 1 - 218
UWSA1 - 240
UWSA2 - 230
Step 2 - 241

I know it's not a set-the-world-on-fire score by SDN standards, but I'm pretty damn happy. Should keep me in the running for EM.
Just did Uworld and OnlineMedEd to prepare, not a thousand different resources.
:thumbup:

When did you take your exam? After the question pool change?

Any UWSAs before? :) Thanks in advance!

Please elaborate on the "questions pool change statement ". This is news to me.

They change the question pool every year, including this year. It happened on July 3rd.
It's been said that questions are weird after the change, so I asked to see if it's true. I'm taking the test in 3 weeks.

They change the question pool every year, including this year. It happened on July 3rd.
It's been said that questions are weird after the change, so I asked to see if it's true. I'm taking the test in 3 weeks.
Well I took my test on the 13th and let me tell you, qs can't get any weirder.

Got my score today and was hoping for a little higher but happy with my improvement over step 1.

I used UWORLD exclusively and I am a DO student.

Step 1 - 215
UWSA1 3 days out from CK - 249
Actual CK - 240

I felt absolutely horrible leaving the exam but I felt horrible during UWSA1 also and I did fine on that so I didn't stress too much. On Step 1 I did so bad on the behavioral science that it had an asterisk next to it on my report. I felt like CK had an insane number of ethics/behavioral science questions so that had me extremely worried. Overall super happy this test is done and I improved a decent amount from Step 1. Step 1 had me doubting myself pretty hard because based on practice tests I should have done way better.

Also for DOs out there my COMLEX 1 was 605 and COMLEX 2 was 575. I took the comlex before the usmle for the level/step 1 and switched the order for the step/level 2. I felt that helped me a lot because I felt extremely burnt out during level 2 (which is how I felt during step 1) and I am really glad I didn't feel that way during the CK.

LOL. Great! haha :)

Are they more difficult than UW? Any advice on what to read?
As I mentioned before, walking out of the test, I felt nothing could've prepared me. For that reason, if I go back in time I would still only use UW so I can at least master the concepts that were covered by UW.

UWSA1: 255
UWSA2: 250
NBME 7: 244

Step 2 CK: 239 (got 239 on step 1 as well)

I am in shock and disbelief, my goal was at least a 250. No idea what went wrong - I felt fine after the test...
I understand your disappointment. However keep in mind that 239 is a decent score. The bottom line is, you didn't drop. You've come this long way and put much hard work. Don't be so hard on yourself.
What's the next step of management for you? Go out partying, feed yourself a good meal, have a crazy day.

Reactions: 4 users
Took the tests June 22nd and June 26th

USMLE 1: 240+
COMLEX 1: 600+

USMLE 2: 250+
COMLEX 2: 750+

Prepared for Step 2 and Level 2 considerably less than I did for Step 1 and Level 1. I was pleasantly surprised with my results. Only went through UWorld once and did not use along side my rotations. I used OME throughout the year. I used Bro's anki deck for medicine only and feel like it gave me a decent foundation and then made my own anki deck as I went through UWorld. My average was 72% on timed random. My UWAS1 242 UWAS2 249. COMSAE D/E (can't remember which one) 678.

I was definitely burned out from step 1 last year and had a tough time bringing myself to care about these tests. This past month I was worried that might come back to bite me and ruin my chances for ortho. I was pleased to see that it did not. So honestly UWorld is all you need and I feel like only one pass is necessary if you want to score around what I did on USMLE. However, I feel like if 2 passes is necessary to really master the content to score above the 260/270 threshold. Regardless I hope my Level 2 makes up for my lower Level 1 and makes me a little more competitive for my ortho application. I feel lik my USMLE are solid enough for the DO ortho programs to help me if any programs begin to look at them for the ACGME merger.

Long time lurker. Promised I would post bc this thread helped me so much while I waited.

I took my exam at the end of June and felt really awful walking out. I spent the last 4 weeks really anxious. I would be reminded of questions throughout my rotation and would get this horrible sense of dread, realizing I had probably gotten something wrong or still couldn't figure out a strange question I would remember. I had nightmares almost every night and kind of dreaded today, truly believing I would get a bad score. I read so many accounts here with people reporting the same feelings, which is the only thing that brought me any comfort. I had never felt quite so bad walking out of an exam and actually done well, so feeling like I did was terrifying. I knew I got 2 relatively "easy" questions wrong just bc I randomly second guessed myself, which added to my fear that I had botched the entire exam. I also had gotten all or most of those 2-part questions wrong. There were a lot of questions where I just could not definitively decide on an answer. Would get down to 2-3 choices but would have to guess and move on, which was hard, bc I have a really hard time trusting my gut and intuition (not a confident person). I marked about 7-10 per block, which is pretty common for me; I mark any question where I don't feel very sure of. There were streaks of questions that were really easy to me, but then streaks of questions where I felt like I must be getting them all wrong. I also was freaked out bc I didn't burnt out walking into step 2 like I did with step 1. So I felt like I must not have put in the right amount of work. Now I realize that it's just bc I like studying this material wayy more.

Some background:
  • Step 1: 225-235
  • Core Shelf Exams: 60-90 scaled scores (40-99th percentiles) *People say doing well on these is the best way to prepare. I agree! I really didn't study for my first couple shelves; had just finished step 1 and was really trying to figure out a good study-work-life balance. Once I started to study (via commonly used rotation resources like Case Files, Step Up, BRS (peds), pre-test + uworld), my scores went up. The shelves I studied for throughout the year were my highest sections on the real test.
  • Study Method: Just uworld. I would google/UTD/SU2M/FA anything that I felt like I needed more detail on. But I did not use any core textbook.
  • Uworld 1st pass: ~70%
  • Uworld 2nd pass: ~80%
  • I did not take any practice exams. I couldn't delay if my scores weren't where I wanted them. Taking practice exams wasn't going to change my test date or study methods as I felt confident that I was doing what I was supposed to do based on friends' experiences. However, this made waiting for my score incredibly nerve wracking. I had NO idea how I did & could see it going anywhere from failing -240.
  • Actual Step2CK: 245-255
I hope this helps someone else bc reading these was really the only way I could stay even a little bit optimistic.

I thought most of you guys had crazy high stats and scores. Im a long time lurker with average stats lol. I took a dedicated month to study for CK and finished Uworld once during clinicals and during dedicated I repeated all the questions while doing onlinemeded. Heres my data for you guys:
- Step 1: 230
- NBME 3: 220 [first day of dedicated]
- NBME 4: 239 [3 weeks out]
- NBME 6: 222 [2 weeks out]
- UWSA1: 245 [10 days out]
- NBME 7: 218 [7 days out]
- UWSA2: 247 [5 days out]
- Free130: 85%
- UW first pass: 67%
- UW second pass: 83%
- Step 2CK: 243

I understand your disappointment. However keep in mind that 239 is a decent score. The bottom line is, you didn't drop. You've come this long way and put much hard work. Don't be so hard on yourself.
What's the next step of management for you? Go out partying, feed yourself a good meal, have a crazy day.
Thanks for the encouragement, it just burns!! Lots of people say uworld is more consistent with actual scores, but Nbme's were unfortunately more predictive for me...probably just had a really bad test day, but at least it's over.

Thanks for the encouragement, it just burns!! Lots of people say uworld is more consistent with actual scores, but Nbme's were unfortunately more predictive for me...probably just had a really bad test day, but at least it's over.

Do you mind me asking what your UW % was?

Step I: 226
3rd year shelf exams: 60's - 80's
UW 1st pass: 64% (all in 4 weeks)
NBME 6: 217 (3 wks out)
UWSA 1: 250 (2 wks out)
UWSA 2: 237 (1 wks out)

Step II CK: 243

Applying to gen surg- really needed this improvement. Hope my chances improve.

It was a long 3.5 weeks of many hours and 160-200+ q's per day. But really I really drove hard into every question, every answer and made a lot of improvement over short time. 40q blocks ranged from 40s-50s at the start to 70's-80's at the end. I did not do incorrects or a second pass. I used no other resources except some quick googling on poorly understood answers. Took lots of paper notes at first and then just started driving theough questions as it was taking too much time.

UW and the UWSA's are all u need if You use it right. I feel i started at a relatively low baseline and did well cinsidering. I imagine others who start out stronger would do even better.

On test day i was usually behind on time, guessing at the last 4-5 answers of each block with maybe 3min to spare. Skim reading, catching key words/phrases, and firing/forgetting is my strategy during that crunch time. Also i never mark answers. I give my best shot and move on, accepting the risk, trusting my instincts, and focusing on the test as a whole.

Last edited:
Took the test yesterday. It felt like I took the wrong test from a different universe of medicine that had vaguely similar diseases. There was a block where for literally 80% of the questions I wasn't sure on any of the answers and guessed. I am pretty sure I scored 40-60% correct total and hoping for a pass.

UWSAs in the 250's. If I actually got a step 2 score in the 250's I will eat a bar of soap and post the video online.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users