US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't recall speaking to me before? You quoted me in this thread to begin with. You also responded in one of my threads, here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/posts/16038555/ Similarly, you also responded in another I posted in, here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-caribbean-vs-ireland.1113750/#post-16038571 And, you did all of this within the span of 30 minutes.

Anyhow, your post history goes over some stuff concerns me a bit. I won't rehash it, here, but from what I can tell you finished your premed studies in 2010 and are only now taking the MCAT. Why so long? What have you been doing in the meantime to bolster your application?

I don't want to seem jerky, but you may want to re-evaluate a thing or two as it relates to where you might end up. I hear that a lot of DO schools in the south and in less desirable cities are more accommodating to lower scores/grades, and as it stands, you don't seem to be competitive for Irish medical schools and the bigger DO programs. Caribbean and some Australia schools are a possibility, however.

I'm not just talking, either; I applied to a lot of DO schools, and my grades/scores/ECs are posted in this thread. I didn't get IIs from more than a handful of DO programs. They were good DO schools, granted, but I didn't hear anything back from DO schools in the big/nice cities back East like PCOM, NYCOM, etc. People I've known that have graduated from places like UCSD with biochemistry degrees and ~3.2 GPAs with mid/high 20's on the MCAT end up at schools like the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine or try for DO SMP programs like the one at Midwestern University outside of Phoenix. Just saying.

I was responding to qldking in http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-financially-feasible.1112788/#post-16038555. I wasn't aware you started that thread. I typically don't read every post in every thread. Furthermore what I said in the second post is relevant.. it is in fact true that people can get EU citizenship through a grandparent which helps them if they choose to go there. What is your point anyway? what is wrong with talking to you ? I don't get that at all.

Also I graduated in 2013 and taught English abroad for a year. I'm also likely to get high 20s on the MCAT based on my practice scores.

What does any of my personal history have to do with my comments on DO schools being better for residency prospects in the USA?

Members don't see this ad.

I was responding to qldking in http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-financially-feasible.1112788/#post-16038555. I wasn't aware you started that thread. I typically don't read every post in every thread. Furthermore what I said in the second post is relevant.. it is in fact true that people can get EU citizenship through a grandparent which helps them if they choose to go there. What is your point anyway? what is wrong with talking to you ? I don't get that at all.

Also I graduated in 2013 and taught English abroad for a year. I'm also likely to get high 20s on the MCAT based on my practice scores.

What does any of my personal history have to do with my comments on DO schools being better for residency prospects in the USA?

I'm working to obtain dual US-EU citizenship through my grandparents, and have spoken about it on this forum toward undertaking an Irish internship or UK foundation programme, recently. Added to quoting my post in the first place and responding in my thread on Australian practice, yes, this makes me suspect that you're following my progress with med school admissions abroad. If you're not, fine. I hope that you got something out of it if you were, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with talking to me. But when you seem to be following me across different subforums and not by chance, yes, that's a bit odd, and I'll say so. This is a professional forum, and I'm not trying to be anonymous like most everyone else on SDN. I talk how I talk in real life on here. Anyways.

Good for you for scoring well on the MCAT practice tests and working abroad. Those are big obstacles. I took the MCAT 4-5 years removed from a lot of its material, and know how difficult it can be to relearn that stuff. Anyhow, I may be forced into retaking the new version of the MCAT. Why didn't you just wait for the new test to come out? All of the PS, BS, and VR stuff is now totally worthless, thank you AAMC.

OK, I see what you're saying. I'm not following you -- that would be really weird! We probably just have similar interests then. When I was considering applying abroad I was looking into Australia and Ireland equally and I've been posting on both of these forums for years.

I didn't wait for the new test because of the whole unknown aspect. Now the more I learn about it the less worried I am. It is longer and has more material, but the material doesn't seem more difficult based on the mini MCAT that they just released. We'll see, though. Also, the old verbal/bio knowledge seems useful for the new MCAT. The practice passage I did tonight was easier than the AAMC practice exams. The only thing I'm concerned about is the length but we actually have more time per question and longer breaks to compensate. It's also not a pointless endeavour to build stamina since the USMLE is quite long. Good luck if you must take the new one!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you are done going back and forth, I also have a DO acceptance like @LAtoDavis but want to go to Ireland instead. The tuition at UCD is really high, and without US financial aid at TCD there's no way that I'd go there. What do you guys think about UK medical schools? There's barely anything on this forum about those.

If it were me, I'd stay away from UK medical schools. The government there seems to be pursuing a two pronged mutually incompatible policies of both encouraging foreign students to come and gain a UK educational qualification while at the same hell bent on demonising foreign students as prospective migrants thereby negating any chance of working there afterwards. Even if you were to gain your PMQ there, without an internship (=residency in America) your degree is just a piece of paper.

When you are done going back and forth, I also have a DO acceptance like @LAtoDavis but want to go to Ireland instead. The tuition at UCD is really high, and without US financial aid at TCD there's no way that I'd go there. What do you guys think about UK medical schools? There's barely anything on this forum about those.

Thanks for the mention. There isn't anything on this forum about those because there isn't much to talk about. Elective rotations may or may not be possible, there's no USMLE prep, etc etc. I'm also curious about this too, though... technically, attending one and then coming back to the US should be as feasible as it would be via an Irish medical school if elective rotations in the US are possible.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd stay away from UK medical schools. The government there seems to be pursuing a two pronged mutually incompatible policies of both encouraging foreign students to come and gain a UK educational qualification while at the same hell bent on demonising foreign students as prospective migrants thereby negating any chance of working there afterwards. Even if you were to gain your PMQ there, without an internship (=residency in America) your degree is just a piece of paper.

You clearly haven't done any background research about the UK. First off, the UK is not demonizing foreign students, there were proposals to send foreign students before applying for employment visas. This does not include medicine students as they are directly applying for foundation programme so wouldn't be subjected to this.

Second off, those proposals were widely criticized and won't be happening.

Medicine in the UK for international students is highly competitive for the very reason that those international students are able to stay.

Trust me, I have been evaluating their immigration trends and the politics concerning them for about two years now in the possible scenario that I have to go there and gain an F1 in order to come back to Australia through the competent authority pathway. Look I dont mean to offend you or your countrymen (if you are a Brit), but this government is extremely fickle in its policies and actions. Dont believe me, check out any news article with regards to UK immigration. The government whilst doing zilch to reduce influx from within Europe is trying to compensate for it by trying to stop the flow of Non-EU people, migrants or otherwise. Look if it were me, I'd not wager hundreds of thousands of pounds for my medical education just to have the immigration authority tell me to my face at the last minute, "Sorry mate, We cant allow you to stay back to gain your full GMC registration". Just my $0.02.

Does anyone know when acceptances usually come out for AB? Looking forward to hearing from UCC.

Also, for my application I put in my resume to show my ECs and past experiences along with some skills I think might be applicable to being successful in medicine and on the application I just said "refer to resume".

Will this hurt me?

And how much is the initial deposit that you have to put down usually in April/May?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when acceptances usually come out for AB? Looking forward to hearing from UCC.

Also, for my application I put in my resume to show my ECs and past experiences along with some skills I think might be applicable to being successful in medicine and on the application I just said "refer to resume".

Will this hurt me?

And how much is the initial deposit that you have to put down usually in April/May?

You'll hear back starting in about Feb-March. Those are the initial responses. They can be extended into the summer as well. UCC has no interviews, so there is no set date for when you'll hear by.

No, what you did won't hurt you. They look at everything together.

And the initial deposit depends on the school. I paid about $5500 CDN for mine two years ago.

You'll hear back starting in about Feb-March. Those are the initial responses. They can be extended into the summer as well. UCC has no interviews, so there is no set date for when you'll hear by.

No, what you did won't hurt you. They look at everything together.

And the initial deposit depends on the school. I paid about $5500 CDN for mine two years ago.

Hi Sassa,
I applied for UCC this year and just had a couple of quick questions regarding the medicine programme and would really appreciate your thoughts on 'em.
1) I know that graduates of Irish Medical Schools get first preference for HSE internship spots but it is not guaranteed in any way for Non EU students. Do you know what the current situation for International Grads is? Or do you know of anyone who hasnt been able to find an internship after studying there?
2) With regards to Scholarships, do you know of any that we as Non-EU students can apply for? As in institutional or otherwise (for eg, Irish Bank Loans, Bonded scholarships through the government etc).
Thanks
AJM

Hi Sassa,
I applied for UCC this year and just had a couple of quick questions regarding the medicine programme and would really appreciate your thoughts on 'em.
1) I know that graduates of Irish Medical Schools get first preference for HSE internship spots but it is not guaranteed in any way for Non EU students. Do you know what the current situation for International Grads is? Or do you know of anyone who hasnt been able to find an internship after studying there?
2) With regards to Scholarships, do you know of any that we as Non-EU students can apply for? As in institutional or otherwise (for eg, Irish Bank Loans, Bonded scholarships through the government etc).
Thanks
AJM

1) The current situation is just that - non-EU people aren't guaranteed a spot in any scheme. But so far, I know at least at my school, many people have found internships here. Not many do it, but many have been successful. You just might not "match" to the internship you want, as it is last pick. As with anything, no guarantee (just like back in Canada, I know Canadian grads who didn't match in CaRMS).

2) I'm not at UCC so they might have different rules for scholarships but I know for any school, we cannot apply for any type of non-Canadian loans. However, I think UCC qualifies for OSAP (if you're from Ontario) so you can look into that, or your province's student loan equivalent.

(Note - I don't know if you're from the US or Canada, but I can only answer for Canada of course. If you're from the US, see if your state's student loan scheme will recognize studying abroad).

1) The current situation is just that - non-EU people aren't guaranteed a spot in any scheme. But so far, I know at least at my school, many people have found internships here. Not many do it, but many have been successful. You just might not "match" to the internship you want, as it is last pick. As with anything, no guarantee (just like back in Canada, I know Canadian grads who didn't match in CaRMS).

2) I'm not at UCC so they might have different rules for scholarships but I know for any school, we cannot apply for any type of non-Canadian loans. However, I think UCC qualifies for OSAP (if you're from Ontario) so you can look into that, or your province's student loan equivalent.

(Note - I don't know if you're from the US or Canada, but I can only answer for Canada of course. If you're from the US, see if your state's student loan scheme will recognize studying abroad).

Thanks for your reply. I am not from US or Canada. I am from a similar sized country about 12000kms down southwest of either of them (Australia :p). May I know which school you go to? Are there any Australian students studying at your medical school who have gotten into HSE internships? I would assume my position would be similar to them. Well worst comes to worst, can I just apply for a WHV and try the year after?

I as an Australian can get assistance from the government to study within Australia but there are no scholarships or loan schemes to assist students who want to go overseas (Gah.. in some ways US FAFSA is so much better) and ultimately I believe that I would have to depend on personal loans. What about scholarship schemes within Ireland? Do you know of any that Non-EU people have applied for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, I have been evaluating their immigration trends and the politics concerning them for about two years now in the possible scenario that I have to go there and gain an F1 in order to come back to Australia through the competent authority pathway. Look I dont mean to offend you or your countrymen (if you are a Brit), but this government is extremely fickle in its policies and actions. Dont believe me, check out any news article with regards to UK immigration. The government whilst doing zilch to reduce influx from within Europe is trying to compensate for it by trying to stop the flow of Non-EU people, migrants or otherwise. Look if it were me, I'd not wager hundreds of thousands of pounds for my medical education just to have the immigration authority tell me to my face at the last minute, "Sorry mate, We cant allow you to stay back to gain your full GMC registration". Just my $0.02.

I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with you, it doesn't offend me, its just wrong. The UK has been training international physicians for decades, what makes you think this will change? There is absolutely no way they will just leave thousands of medical students in limbo. Even if the worst happened they would grandfather everyone who was already in the UK in. Everyone international student I know was able to obtain a FY1 post.

Its your decision in the end, but if you are basing your decision on the fact that you expect the UK to stop allowing UK medical students with international citizenship to stay in the UK, you are just plain mistaken.

UK medical schools are under strict international quotas, which allows the UK system to absorb these students. Applications from international students are also the most competitive course at many universities. http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final 2013 for web.pdf
Edinburgh had a 8.5% acceptance rate for international medical students, do you really think that the course would be that competitive if these students were kicked out after medical school?

For Oxford there were 241 applicants identified as international for fee-paying purposes who submitted complete applications. Following short-listing, which is conducted in line with the quota imposed on the Medical School by the UK Government for the available international places, 32 of these applicants were short-listed and five applicants received an offer.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

I appreciate you read the news about UKIP and the anti-immigrant sentiment but the reality is this doesn't actually affect medical students. The main anti-immigrant sentiments lie with Eastern European migrants and non-EU refugees and people who come to use the NHS. When Theresa May, proposed making international students go back before applying for a visa there was a massive uproar among the establishment. Everyone turned against her. That proposal is as good as dead. Even if that were passed it would not affect medicine graduates.
No country is against a few hundred well educated doctors being added to the workforce especially if they have already trained in the british system.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have applied to NUIG, UCC, UCD, Trinity, and RCSI. I've looked over all the info the atlantic bridge has posted along with each individual schools site but I was just wondering if anyone that has gone to any of these schools could give me some ways that their school stands out. I would be happy getting into any of them but I want to have a better idea of the program outside of their websites for background knowledge if possible. :)

Thanks for your help in advance, I hope 2015 is treating everyone well!

Thanks for your reply. I am not from US or Canada. I am from a similar sized country about 12000kms down southwest of either of them (Australia :p). May I know which school you go to? Are there any Australian students studying at your medical school who have gotten into HSE internships? I would assume my position would be similar to them. Well worst comes to worst, can I just apply for a WHV and try the year after?

I as an Australian can get assistance from the government to study within Australia but there are no scholarships or loan schemes to assist students who want to go overseas (Gah.. in some ways US FAFSA is so much better) and ultimately I believe that I would have to depend on personal loans. What about scholarship schemes within Ireland? Do you know of any that Non-EU people have applied for?

There are Australian people at my school (University of Limerick). I have no idea about Australians and HSE internships or any of the application process for that. I'm currently studying for Step 1 USMLE, and running a charity organization, on top of med school itself and applying to electives for 3rd year back in North America, so that is something for future Sassa to worry about.

And like I said, there are no scholarship avenues for non-EU students that I know of.

I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with you, it doesn't offend me, its just wrong. The UK has been training international physicians for decades, what makes you think this will change? There is absolutely no way they will just leave thousands of medical students in limbo. Even if the worst happened they would grandfather everyone who was already in the UK in. Everyone international student I know was able to obtain a FY1 post.

Its your decision in the end, but if you are basing your decision on the fact that you expect the UK to stop allowing UK medical students with international citizenship to stay in the UK, you are just plain mistaken.

UK medical schools are under strict international quotas, which allows the UK system to absorb these students. Applications from international students are also the most competitive course at many universities. http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final 2013 for web.pdf
Edinburgh had a 8.5% acceptance rate for international medical students, do you really think that the course would be that competitive if these students were kicked out after medical school?

For Oxford there were 241 applicants identified as international for fee-paying purposes who submitted complete applications. Following short-listing, which is conducted in line with the quota imposed on the Medical School by the UK Government for the available international places, 32 of these applicants were short-listed and five applicants received an offer.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

I appreciate you read the news about UKIP and the anti-immigrant sentiment but the reality is this doesn't actually affect medical students. The main anti-immigrant sentiments lie with Eastern European migrants and non-EU refugees and people who come to use the NHS. When Theresa May, proposed making international students go back before applying for a visa there was a massive uproar among the establishment. Everyone turned against her. That proposal is as good as dead. Even if that were passed it would not affect medicine graduates.
No country is against a few hundred well educated doctors being added to the workforce especially if they have already trained in the british system.

As per information listed on GMC's website, international medical graduates from UK universities have been able to secure a FY1 (Consistent with what you are saying the report also mentions that UK graduates have been able to be absorbed irrespective of the training place shortages, but mind you it also mentions that this stance cannot be guaranteed in future). And for the record the FY1 posts which do get allocated are on Tier 4 Visa (which technically is a student visa and expires in two years). If you didnt know already, labour rules for sponsorship for Tier 2 visas (Aka work visas) are draconian at the moment. This can only get worse as more and more people flood the United Kingdom. What makes you think Healthcare system would be immune to these changes?

I agree the home programmes within the UK are under strict guidelines. But as you might know, some universities such as University of Newcastle and SGUL are in sort of a grey area. SGUL for example has two additional home programmes in addition to its original London MBBS programme; i.e. SGUL INTO (3 years in the UK and 1 year in the US) and SGUL-Nicosia (2 years Nicosia, 2 years either US, Israel or Cyprus). Technically these are "home" programmes in that the degree is awarded by a "home uni" and is recognised by GMC as identical to the original home degree and therefore their graduates are able to apply and be on par with London MBBS grads. There are little entry restrictions if any on international students who apply to these two.

There are Australian people at my school (University of Limerick). I have no idea about Australians and HSE internships or any of the application process for that. I'm currently studying for Step 1 USMLE, and running a charity organization, on top of med school itself and applying to electives for 3rd year back in North America, so that is something for future Sassa to worry about.

And like I said, there are no scholarship avenues for non-EU students that I know of.
Ahh Nice. Maybe I am jumping the gun thinking about all these things before i've even joined up in med school. But good luck with your MLEs. Im sure you will ace it :). UL is my first pref as well because of its PBL. Would make it a bit easier to come back home to Australia. Also I wanted to ask, are the tuition fees fixed according to each cohort in UL (as in a student pays the same amount for the entire four years of med school) or is there an increment each year?

As per information listed on GMC's website, international medical graduates from UK universities have been able to secure a FY1 (Consistent with what you are saying the report also mentions that UK graduates have been able to be absorbed irrespective of the training place shortages, but mind you it also mentions that this stance cannot be guaranteed in future). And for the record the FY1 posts which do get allocated are on Tier 4 Visa (which technically is a student visa and expires in two years). If you didnt know already, labour rules for sponsorship for Tier 2 visas (Aka work visas) are draconian at the moment. This can only get worse as more and more people flood the United Kingdom. What makes you think Healthcare system would be immune to these changes?

I agree the home programmes within the UK are under strict guidelines. But as you might know, some universities such as University of Newcastle and SGUL are in sort of a grey area. SGUL for example has two additional home programmes in addition to its original London MBBS programme; i.e. SGUL INTO (3 years in the UK and 1 year in the US) and SGUL-Nicosia (2 years Nicosia, 2 years either US, Israel or Cyprus). Technically these are "home" programmes in that the degree is awarded by a "home uni" and is recognised by GMC as identical to the original home degree and therefore their graduates are able to apply and be on par with London MBBS grads. There are little entry restrictions if any on international students who apply to these two.

Well Tier 2 visas are easily secured for those entering speciality training and while I don't have experience with this yet, I haven't heard any complaints.

They will always say it is not guaranteed but considering you aren't even GMC licensed until FY1 I find it hard to believe that foundation won't be offered to UK grads. Tier 2 visas are draconian for most jobs but not for medicine. Healthcare is a bit different in this case, it is different in the US as well, H1B visas aren't even under the standard cap when it is for a residency position.

I have heard of these new "programs" and I am against and disappointed by them. However, it isn't just SGUL, RCSI has done the same with Bahrain. My view though is that as long as the government seems to believe there are enough spaces to allow this, it will be fine.

Just out of curiosity, how come you are interested in studying medicine in Ireland as an Australian? I've never heard of australians desiring to study abroad. Are you planning on returning to Australia post-graduation?

Ahh Nice. Maybe I am jumping the gun thinking about all these things before i've even joined up in med school. But good luck with your MLEs. Im sure you will ace it :). UL is my first pref as well because of its PBL. Would make it a bit easier to come back home to Australia. Also I wanted to ask, are the tuition fees fixed according to each cohort in UL (as in a student pays the same amount for the entire four years of med school) or is there an increment each year?

YAY! A UL interest :) It gets glossed over because it's "new", but the government actually chose UL as the pilot for PBL in the country, and we just got University of the Year for 2015 as well.

And yes tuition is fixed, no increments.

Well Tier 2 visas are easily secured for those entering speciality training and while I don't have experience with this yet, I haven't heard any complaints.

They will always say it is not guaranteed but considering you aren't even GMC licensed until FY1 I find it hard to believe that foundation won't be offered to UK grads. Tier 2 visas are draconian for most jobs but not for medicine. Healthcare is a bit different in this case, it is different in the US as well, H1B visas aren't even under the standard cap when it is for a residency position.

I have heard of these new "programs" and I am against and disappointed by them. However, it isn't just SGUL, RCSI has done the same with Bahrain. My view though is that as long as the government seems to believe there are enough spaces to allow this, it will be fine.

Just out of curiosity, how come you are interested in studying medicine in Ireland as an Australian? I've never heard of australians desiring to study abroad. Are you planning on returning to Australia post-graduation?

Ahh ok. Considering you are already going through with the system, you are probably more accurate. I will take your word for it. I was just basing my conjectures on what other UK trained doctors here have told me and how the current immigration politics is playing out there and felt that UK was becoming more and more unwelcoming.
RCSI had a major issue with Bahrain a couple of years ago. The RCSI-MUB partnership wasnt recognised for a while and pretty much left a lot of students in limbo. Part of the reason why I am a bit hesitant to apply for those partnership medical schools.
There are a lot of Aussies studying abroad and from Sassa's post earlier quite a few decide to pursue medicine overseas as well. There are many reasons for this. International experience gives you an edge in the current job market. With regards to medicine, BTA, BTC and BTU (Been to America, Been to Canada, Been to UK) are looked rather highly upon lol :D. Also the fact that it is much harder to get into medicine here as a local than as an international student. Part of the reason why that is so is because the fees for domestic students are subsidised by the government (~11000 AUD per year as opposed to ~50-70000 AUD per year). I definitely intend to come back to Australia eventually. But I am also not opposed to staying back in Ireland or the UK and finishing specialty training there.

YAY! A UL interest :) It gets glossed over because it's "new", but the government actually chose UL as the pilot for PBL in the country, and we just got University of the Year for 2015 as well.

And yes tuition is fixed, no increments.
Yay High-Five. Fingers Crossed I get an interview for UL. Four years and PBL, what more could you ask for (well maybe a tuition fee reduction but thats not gonna happen is it :p). But its reassuring that the fees are fixed for the entire four years. Now just have to hope Australian mining kicks off again and AUD exceeds USD in parity once again :p.

Haha dont worry everyone likes to give a hard time to the newbies. Medical Schools are no different and its the same worldwide. University of Notre Dame in Australia (recently started med schools in Sydney, NSW and Fremantle, WA) gets glossed frequently as well.

Hey Guys,
Do you know wow long do we have to wait for until we hear back from UL and RCSI. I've heard there is an interview component for both of them. To anyone who's gone through the interview process, can you please list some of the typical interview questions asked? Would be very helpful for interview prep.
Thanks
AJM

Hey Guys,
Do you know wow long do we have to wait for until we hear back from UL and RCSI. I've heard there is an interview component for both of them. To anyone who's gone through the interview process, can you please list some of the typical interview questions asked? Would be very helpful for interview prep.
Thanks
AJM

UL you'll hear back mid-end March to the beginning of April. Interviews are typically near the end of April.

I think RCSI is a couple weeks earlier than UL, but I didn't go through that process (just trying to remember what my roommate said). But you won't hear anything usually until Feb / March, at the earliest.

You can check the previous ABP threads and see when people announced their interviews. The timeline has always stayed the same.

Thanks for the info Sassa. Do you reckon, it is a good idea to apply to UL directly as well? The thing is RCSI is coming out to be a bit expensive for me. I am afraid that if I get an offer from RCSI (I just put in RCSI for the sake of it.), I would miss out on the 4 year programme at UL (my first preference).There's heaps on conflicting information regarding the application procedure (Not just for UL). On one page for Non-EU students in UL, it mentioned that I cant put in a direct application online and the only way to proceed would be through ABP. But on another it says that Direct Application is the only way to apply for UL?

Thanks for the info Sassa. Do you reckon, it is a good idea to apply to UL directly as well? The thing is RCSI is coming out to be a bit expensive for me. I am afraid that if I get an offer from RCSI (I just put in RCSI for the sake of it.), I would miss out on the 4 year programme at UL (my first preference).There's heaps on conflicting information regarding the application procedure (Not just for UL). On one page for Non-EU students in UL, it mentioned that I cant put in a direct application online and the only way to proceed would be through ABP. But on another it says that Direct Application is the only way to apply for UL?

I think you're waaaaaay overcomplicating things.

I don't know if Australians apply through ABP, but that's the only way North Americans can apply (but I think you have sounding by it?). So if you've already applied through it, or through an equivalent, then you're done, and you sit tight.

If you get an offer from RCSI, you can always decline. Financial reasons are legitimate, there are many who decline for that reason.

Hello! Thank God I found this thread! I would like to ask if anyone might want to advise me. I want to go to the Irish schools specifically because I want stay on in the UK or Ireland. I am a US citizen. What are the realistic prospects of staying there for residency/subsequent job offer?

Also, can someone please clarify if it is possible to go to Ireland just with US federal loans? I spoke with their Irish representative and he said it was, but reading here, doesn't seem so.... To wit, I have NO money so I was expecting to rely on federal loans the way I did with my previous UK studies - the loans got disbursed when I got there and the deposit was minimal.... Does the whole 1-year tuition need to be paid upfront?? Will the federal loans get disbursed that way even? Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Limerick does not do Title 4....? I applied to the five that do.

I have also applied to SGUL and will be applying to three Aussie ones that do Title 4...

Last edited:
Hi! I' thinking about applying to Irish med schools in 2015. My whole family is Irish and I would love to go back and study there- my cousins that live there went to med school there and loved it- obviously it was a bit different for them since they were born/raised in Ireland.

Anyway. my GPA was around 3.63 - I went to a pretty prestigious college in the US but I don't know how the ABP factors that into their overall GPA calculation
I am planning on taking the MCAT in April of 2015- I'm a bit worried since I don't have a strong background in the courses behind the new sections, and med schools won't have anything to compare the first exam scores to.

I worked in a speech pathology lab at my university for three years, did an NSF microbiology fellowship one summer (did my senior thesis on this research), and since graduating in 2104 I'm working full time doing lupus research at a well-known hospital in NYC. I was on Model UN/Sailing Club/in a sorority/Christian fellowship, but as far as ECs go, nothing really strong for medical school. I did a lot in high school but everyone agrees that stats/activities from high school really don't matter once you get to college.

I'm also applying to some MD/DO schools in the States. My question is, what would my chances look like, and would it be a good idea to get my EU dual citizenship? Both my sisters have it and I can get it pretty easily since my mom and grandparents, etc are all EU citizens.

First off, great thread, I've read all the posts here as well as the 2014 thread.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but just had a couple of questions about the Irish Schools, very non-trad applicant. I graduated from Electrical Engineering in 2007 with a 3.0 cGPA (possibly 2.95 depending how you grade it). I worked at a well reputable software company for 3 years as a Computer Scientist and I realized it wasn't for me. I needed to work with human interaction and feel job satisfaction. Since 2009 been employed as a cop in the emergency response patrol section. I love my job but I've had a fascination with medicine since my undergrad, so I decided to return to school and took 5 courses while working full time (straight A's, mostly A+) at a university level. I took the MCAT last September and scored a 30 (12 PS, 8 VR, 10 Bio). I have experience shadowing a doctor who actually studied in Ireland and is now working as an Internist in Canada. I've applied to all GEM programs in Ireland (Limerick, RSCI, UCC, UCD), but I have no idea how my application stands. I think I would do really well in Limerick with PBL style, but I'm worried my undergrad marks will hold me back.

Any thoughts?

This wait is so stressful. Does anyone know if being a student athlete while going through undergrad is taken into consideration?

This wait is so stressful. Does anyone know if being a student athlete while going through undergrad is taken into consideration?
I think if you mentioned it in your personal statement as somehow relevant to your ambitions as a physician, then yes, I think it will be. You are being evaluated very holistically. When you show commitment to sport or whatever, it says a lot about you and how you will treat your responsibilities as a physician as well :) And yes - I am sitting on needles every day too!

Everything one says that makes you "special" is taken into consideration ... and everyone is going to have it. Sorry to be blunt - but it's a medical school application. Everyone has things that makes them stand out and shows they are multi-faceted individuals capable of handling what life throws at them.

Yes, Atlantic Bridge seems to look at everything together at the same time vs the stepwise MCAT cutoff --> mark cut off --> extracurriculars --> interview, but at the same time, it's the same competitive pool that you'd be seeing in North American applications. Just smaller.

If UCD and RCSI have the same tuition, which is better? You are talking about RCSI having more stuff (USMLE, rotations, etc) above ^^ so what justifies the price of UCD?

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/
University College Cork – 39,200 Euros
University College Dublin – 50,000 Euros
The University of Limerick – 39,500 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland* – 50,600 Euros

I don't always quote myself, but when I do, it's because tuition was lowered at UCD from 50k to 45k. Smart move, ABP/Irish Medical Schools. UCD's NIMSA program is weak sauce.

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/
University College Cork – 39,200 Euros
University College Dublin – 45,000 Euros
The University of Limerick – 39,500 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland* – 50,600 Euros

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I' thinking about applying to Irish med schools in 2015. My whole family is Irish and I would love to go back and study there- my cousins that live there went to med school there and loved it- obviously it was a bit different for them since they were born/raised in Ireland.

Anyway. my GPA was around 3.63 - I went to a pretty prestigious college in the US but I don't know how the ABP factors that into their overall GPA calculation
I am planning on taking the MCAT in April of 2015- I'm a bit worried since I don't have a strong background in the courses behind the new sections, and med schools won't have anything to compare the first exam scores to.

I worked in a speech pathology lab at my university for three years, did an NSF microbiology fellowship one summer (did my senior thesis on this research), and since graduating in 2104 I'm working full time doing lupus research at a well-known hospital in NYC. I was on Model UN/Sailing Club/in a sorority/Christian fellowship, but as far as ECs go, nothing really strong for medical school. I did a lot in high school but everyone agrees that stats/activities from high school really don't matter once you get to college.

I'm also applying to some MD/DO schools in the States. My question is, what would my chances look like, and would it be a good idea to get my EU dual citizenship? Both my sisters have it and I can get it pretty easily since my mom and grandparents, etc are all EU citizens.

They look at your application holistically and if you go to a prestigious school they'll likely factor that in. Honestly, I think your ECs are very good for med school apps, I wouldn't call all that research "not strong for med school" haha.

If you do go to Ireland get EU citizenship, it won't matter for your tuition but it does matter if you want to stay in Ireland or go to the UK post-graduation.

Hi guys, just wanna know what my chances are if at all, i'm currently in Grade 11 in Canada and I heard they factor those grades in too.

English - 93
Biology - 90
Visual Art/ History - 93
Math - 80-85
Chemistry - 88-90
Physics - 86-90
Graphic Design - 94
Photography - 92

I have 250+ volunteer hours and did an internship at a hospital in Toronto. I'm president of my school's newspaper and secretary for my schools Red Cross club.

I guess it is getting close to decisions to start rolling out (at least what I saw from previous cycles in the forums), maybe as little as a couple of weeks. First and foremost, good luck everyone!

I really have no idea if I am getting fast denials or will get in. Of course no one really knows where one stands in this process, but I would appreciate any comments from people that would like to give their opinion on my chances this cycle.

First Time Medical School Applicant
I'm from: Washington State
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Already Graduated. B.A. in Political Science in 2009 (took pre-med pre-reqs); I also have a J.D. (law degree) in 2013.
My GPA is: 3.2ish in undergrad, and I think 3.0 to 3.2 in law school.
My MCAT Scores were: N/A
ECs: 50+ hours shadowing, some very minor research, campaign volunteerism, emergency room clinical research through prestigious university, and law related ECs.

I applied to: NUI-Galway and Trinity College Dublin (5 year programs)
I was accepted at: Nothing yet...
I was waitlisted at: Nothing yet..
I was rejected from: Nothing yet..

Notes: Of course I have other "special talents" that add to my resume like everyone else, I have been extremely successful in the practice of law and I am employed (passion is medicine so this doesn't matter to me), but this is generally what I am working with.

Thanks!

I guess it is getting close to decisions to start rolling out (at least what I saw from previous cycles in the forums), maybe as little as a couple of weeks. First and foremost, good luck everyone!

I really have no idea if I am getting fast denials or will get in. Of course no one really knows where one stands in this process, but I would appreciate any comments from people that would like to give their opinion on my chances this cycle.

First Time Medical School Applicant
I'm from: Washington State
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Already Graduated. B.A. in Political Science in 2009 (took pre-med pre-reqs); I also have a J.D. (law degree) in 2013.
My GPA is: 3.2ish in undergrad, and I think 3.0 to 3.2 in law school.
My MCAT Scores were: N/A
ECs: 50+ hours shadowing, some very minor research, campaign volunteerism, emergency room clinical research through prestigious university, and law related ECs.

I applied to: NUI-Galway and Trinity College Dublin (5 year programs)
I was accepted at: Nothing yet...
I was waitlisted at: Nothing yet..
I was rejected from: Nothing yet..

Notes: Of course I have other "special talents" that add to my resume like everyone else, I have been extremely successful in the practice of law and I am employed (passion is medicine so this doesn't matter to me), but this is generally what I am working with.

Thanks!

Wow, my stats are almost exactly the same, except I did slightly better in undergrad and slightly worse in law school. And I'm a Biology major (but also from Washington state). I would be curious to see if less than stellar performance in law school would be a hindrance... or if a post-grad in itself would be an obstacle to a 5-year program. What's your area of law by the way? :D Sorry, no value or advice in my thread, I was just happy to find someone in a similar situation...

sangreViento - Its funny that we have so many things in common. I hope that they work for us and not against us, especially like you said about the 5 year program. I see a lot more about people applying for the 4 year and 6 year, so it is hard to get a gauge about the stats on people applying for the 5 year program and those that are/were successful. I hope everything works out this cycle, I think I am just starting to get antsy.

sangreViento
- Its funny that we have so many things in common. I hope that they work for us and not against us, especially like you said about the 5 year program. I see a lot more about people applying for the 4 year and 6 year, so it is hard to get a gauge about the stats on people applying for the 5 year program and those that are/were successful. I hope everything works out this cycle, I think I am just starting to get antsy.

Hey Attorney2Medicine and
sangreViento

I'm applying this term also for 5 year programs so my opinion might not hold much weight but I think that you have a very strong shot. Already having a JD shows that you can handle advanced study. Also deciding to pursue medicine even after having a secure job in law only shows that you are going to medical school for the right reasons.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us all! :)

- Lindsay

Arghhhh I cant handle this wait. When do we find out if we get an interview or not. University of Limerick, I am pinning my hopes on you...

Arghhhh I cant handle this wait. When do we find out if we get an interview or not. University of Limerick, I am pinning my hopes on you...

Limerick doesn't tell you until mid- to end of March for interviews.

Dear Sassa,

I understand, you are a medical student already. Could you please tell me how they had you pay your tuition or present proof for the visa? How much was the deposit? Would they accept the letter stating that the loans will be disbursed throughout the year or do they require the whole year's tuition upfront? I would appreciate any help, I have been so worried, I decided to take up a night-weekend job just to be able to pay the deposit in case I get in.... But I can only rely on Title 4s for the tuition...

Dear Lindsay and Attorney,

Thanks! I really hope so. I also took the MCAT, so I am also waiting on those scores, but honestly, I might prefer the undergrad programme, because it gives the most time to scour potential opportunities in Europe... The wait is really killing me. Every day is a torture.

Question for everyone: how does one apply for the 6 year programme, or do I not understand something? I thought the two undergrad ones were 5 years...? Is the 6 year one at RCSI? Could you be considered both for the grad and undergrad at RCSI...? I understand RCSI and the one other that requires an interview will start sending out interviews next week already...? I won't yet have my scores... :( Unless the 6 year one is the Bahrain one?

Anyone else applied at SGUL?

Thanks! Really helps to talk to someone!

Last edited:
Dear Sassa,

I understand, you are a medical student already. Could you please tell me how they had you pay your tuition or present proof for the visa? How much was the deposit? Would they accept the letter stating that the loans will be disbursed throughout the year or do they require the whole year's tuition upfront? I would appreciate any help, I have been so worried, I decided to take up a night-weekend job just to be able to pay the deposit in case I get in.... But I can only rely on Title 4s for the tuition...

I'm Canadian so I don't know what Title 4s are .... :)

For tuition, I'm paying with a Line of Credit. The deposit for UL when I applied was €5000 I think. You paid that within 2 weeks of your acceptance after the interviews had been held. The remainder was paid later in the summer. I think you can pay in installments, but I always paid up front via paytostudy - didn't have to worry about transfers and exchange rates later. Worked in my favour so far for the last 2 years. You'd have to check with the individual school itself about breaking up the payments for tuition (If I knew, I'd help you out, but like I said, I paid it all before leaving Canada each year).

For the visa, I assume you mean when you enter the country for the first time, and then when you get your Garda card (your immigration type card). For the border upon landing, you have to show proof of living arrangements, acceptance letter and offer letter from the school, financials proving you can support yourself for the year (I print out my bank statements), and proof of deposit / payment of tuition. And your passport of course. It's the same to get your Garda card - you have to bring these things to the Garda station along with another letter from the immigration office from the school, and then you can get your card (you need this and the Garda stamp to exit / enter the country for a year).

The visa stuff - don't stress about it now.

The financial stuff - it's worth considering now. I know many people never thought of the financial side of things, and it blinded them. I would say make sure you can secure a Line of Credit (or whatever it is you'll be using) so start thinking of co-signatories (even if you have the credit score like I did to get the LOC on my own, in Canada at least, you need a Canadian-living person to cosign in case you become a flight risk).

Hey, has anyone, who's applied with Atlantic Bridge, heard anything from RCSI? or any other Irish schools? When do you guys think we will be hearing back?

I'm Canadian so I don't know what Title 4s are .... :)

For tuition, I'm paying with a Line of Credit. The deposit for UL when I applied was €5000 I think. You paid that within 2 weeks of your acceptance after the interviews had been held. The remainder was paid later in the summer. I think you can pay in installments, but I always paid up front via paytostudy - didn't have to worry about transfers and exchange rates later. Worked in my favour so far for the last 2 years. You'd have to check with the individual school itself about breaking up the payments for tuition (If I knew, I'd help you out, but like I said, I paid it all before leaving Canada each year).

For the visa, I assume you mean when you enter the country for the first time, and then when you get your Garda card (your immigration type card). For the border upon landing, you have to show proof of living arrangements, acceptance letter and offer letter from the school, financials proving you can support yourself for the year (I print out my bank statements), and proof of deposit / payment of tuition. And your passport of course. It's the same to get your Garda card - you have to bring these things to the Garda station along with another letter from the immigration office from the school, and then you can get your card (you need this and the Garda stamp to exit / enter the country for a year).

The visa stuff - don't stress about it now.

The financial stuff - it's worth considering now. I know many people never thought of the financial side of things, and it blinded them. I would say make sure you can secure a Line of Credit (or whatever it is you'll be using) so start thinking of co-signatories (even if you have the credit score like I did to get the LOC on my own, in Canada at least, you need a Canadian-living person to cosign in case you become a flight risk).

Thank you very much! Especially for the paytostudy tip!

Title 4s are US government federal loans with, apparently, no cumulative cap. Yes, I guess if they are Title4 approved, they should have experience dealing with US government dispensing loans in cycles. I remember when I studied in the UK, UK Border Agency accepted a letter of loan availability as proof of tuition even though it has not yet been disbursed because that money gets disbursed to the school directly - ie. there's zero danger that the student will not pay! I guess I will just continue worrying about having 12k euros to spare for the deposit and such! o_O

To the person above, it appears from the previous threads that RCSI will send out interviews next week or the week after, and the other ones will surface only in the end of March or beginning of April.

Ahhhhh I got an interview offer today from RCSI for the end of Feb. :soexcited:

Dear Sassa,

Dear Lindsay and Attorney,

Thanks! I really hope so. I also took the MCAT, so I am also waiting on those scores, but honestly, I might prefer the undergrad programme, because it gives the most time to scour potential opportunities in Europe... The wait is really killing me. Every day is a torture.

Question for everyone: how does one apply for the 6 year programme, or do I not understand something? I thought the two undergrad ones were 5 years...? Is the 6 year one at RCSI? Could you be considered both for the grad and undergrad at RCSI...? I understand RCSI and the one other that requires an interview will start sending out interviews next week already...? I won't yet have my scores... :( Unless the 6 year one is the Bahrain one?

Anyone else applied at SGUL?

Thanks! Really helps to talk to someone!

From my understanding of it 6 year programs are reserved for students just getting out of high school or also for students with a college degree but after review of course material the school thinks you are better fit for an6 year program. I don't remember what schools exactly have 6yr but pretty sure RCSI was one of them.

Hoping for an interview email in the next couple of weeks :)

Hey Everyone,

I'm also applying to the Atlantic Bridge program for this year. I just finished with my MS from Michigan in Biomedical Engineering and unfortunately haven't begun the application till now. My top choices are RCSI and TCD. I talked to Atlantic Bridge and they said that if I submitted everything right now I would be considered for the first round for TCD and second round for RCSI so that tells me that they probably have their list already for first round interviews for RCSI. I should have everything in by this Monday including LOR's so I'm crossing my fingers that I haven't missed the boat. Here is hoping that everything works out for everyone.

From my understanding of it 6 year programs are reserved for students just getting out of high school or also for students with a college degree but after review of course material the school thinks you are better fit for an6 year program. I don't remember what schools exactly have 6yr but pretty sure RCSI was one of them.

Hoping for an interview email in the next couple of weeks :)
Thank you very much! Especially for the paytostudy tip!

Title 4s are US government federal loans with, apparently, no cumulative cap. Yes, I guess if they are Title4 approved, they should have experience dealing with US government dispensing loans in cycles. I remember when I studied in the UK, UK Border Agency accepted a letter of loan availability as proof of tuition even though it has not yet been disbursed because that money gets disbursed to the school directly - ie. there's zero danger that the student will not pay! I guess I will just continue worrying about having 12k euros to spare for the deposit and such! o_O

To the person above, it appears from the previous threads that RCSI will send out interviews next week or the week after, and the other ones will surface only in the end of March or beginning of April.

Hey, I go to Trinity. I am not sure what title 4s are. For general tuition info it goes as follows: first year you have to pay everything prior to starting school b/c atlantic bridge is involved. Afterwards, you just deal with your school and can pay in installments throughout the year. Deposit deadlines are flexible. I read something about Trinity not being US federal loan approved somewhere earlier in these posts. I don't think that is the case. As far as my understanding goes, the USMLE step 1 pass rate was just above 75% which is the minimum requirement for a school to have its students eligible for US student loan funding. I think Trinity did lose it a couple years ago and was close to losing it this year but didn't. Another comment on that, it is not a lack of quality education that makes the USMLE pass rate lower at Trinity, it is the fact that a lot of under prepared non-American and non-Canadians take the USMLE at Trinity not realizing how hard it is. They are implementing steps to prevent under prepared people from taking it. If anyone has any other questions about med school here or the application process feel free to PM me.