UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. How was the MMI? and How did you prepare for it? I have an interview coming up end of May. Thanks

I felt that the MMI had an equal balance of what I thought were more thought-provoking questions and others that were a little more straightforward and could be answered from my personal experience. To prepare, I watched the Coursegrinder MMI YouTube videos, which do an excellent job of explaining how to dissect a scenario and come to a conclusion. UWash is also a great resource for looking up ethical/legal/social aspects of medicine. I’m not sure how much info you’ve received about the interview just yet, but when they tell you specifics about interview day, definitely take the time to time yourself and practice your responses orally. There are prompts available everywhere online. Other than that, just be yourself! Trust your knowledge and experience. The interviewers were also very kind, which I know put me more at ease. You’re gonna do a great job! :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else receive their interview invite in a PDF attachment? There are hyperlinks for me to click to schedule my interview, but it's in a PDF so obviously the hyperlink is not active.

I only recently found out my MCAT verification expired so I'm a little late submitting everything and hoping all these delays do not hurt my chances.

On a side note, I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on UQ versus a US DO school. I'm sitting on two waitlists right now and was surprised to receive a response back from UQ.
The UQ Ochsner Webinar - Accepting your offer and financial aid is next week. It's a great opportunity to ask when the last round of acceptances will go out or how long the application cycle is expected to be open.

When I received the II, there was a link included in the body of the II email itself. I received a Zoom pdf later with general guidelines to ensure Zoom would be up and running on my end. If you don't get that link, I suggest you email the enrolment team.

Lastly, as for the DO vs UQ debate, I believe a DO seat is generally much, much more preferable than a UQ one since you would be a US grad. However, you have to take into consideration what you value as well. Firstly, The COA needs to be taken into consideration. If you're accepted to Touro in NY, you're look at 87-100k per year which is comparable to UQ. Obviously the cost would be lower if you were to attend LECOM. Then, you would need to look at the match track record and see if they align with your goals, which are liable to change.

Personally, I prefer UQ over DO for the following reasons despite the higher price tag:
  • I have little faith in the medical education and healthcare system in this country. If I can attend a school, if at least for two years, in a country with universal healthcare, I will find a little moral solace in seeing my tuition dollars subsidize Australian docs' schooling.
  • DOs are not as widely recognized as physicians in many countries. I am interested in international work.
  • Being able to draw from two cultural traditions of medical education is better than just one imo.
  • The fact that UQ is reworking its medical curriculum taking into account things like population health trends and student well-being shows me that it is progressive
  • The medical society model that invests in the success of its students outshines any support my friends in med schools receive.
  • Ochsner Health System is reforming medical practices like creating a digital end-of-life care registry and collaborating to reimburse collaborative efforts in treating social determinants of health like: food insecurity, social isolation, loneliness and housing instability.
While these things can certainly be found in other US schools, the existing combination is too good for me to pass up. Also, everyone who personally knows me see me as a contrarian with wanderlust, so maybe I'm just rationalizing my tropism. :shrug:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The UQ Ochsner Webinar - Accepting your offer and financial aid is next week. It's a great opportunity to ask when the last round of acceptances will go out or how long the application cycle is expected to be open.

When I received the II, there was a link included in the body of the II email itself. I received a Zoom pdf later with general guidelines to ensure Zoom would be up and running on my end. If you don't get that link, I suggest you email the enrolment team.

Lastly, as for the DO vs UQ debate, I believe a DO seat is generally much, much more preferable than a UQ one since you would be a US grad. However, you have to take into consideration what you value as well. Firstly, The COA needs to be taken into consideration. If you're accepted to Touro in NY, you're look at 87-100k per year which is comparable to UQ. Obviously the cost would be lower if you were to attend LECOM. Then, you would need to look at the match track record and see if they align with your goals, which are liable to change.

Personally, I prefer UQ over DO for the following reasons despite the higher price tag:
  • I have little faith in the medical education and healthcare system in this country. If I can attend a school, if at least for two years, in a country with universal healthcare, I will find a little moral solace in seeing my tuition dollars subsidize Australian docs' schooling.
  • DOs are not as widely recognized as physicians in many countries. I am interested in international work.
  • Being able to draw from two cultural traditions of medical education is better than just one imo.
  • The fact that UQ is reworking its medical curriculum taking into account things like population health trends and student well-being shows me that it is progressive
  • The medical society model that invests in the success of its students outshines any support my friends in med schools receive.
  • Ochsner Health System is reforming medical practices like creating a digital end-of-life care registry and collaborating to reimburse collaborative efforts in treating social determinants of health like: food insecurity, social isolation, loneliness and housing instability.
While these things can certainly be found in other US schools, the existing combination is too good for me to pass up. Also, everyone who personally knows me see me as a contrarian with wanderlust, so maybe I'm just rationalizing my tropism. :shrug:
Interesting use of the word tropism, but I appreciate and respect the analogy.

I would see myself as a fool to pass up the opportunity to interview, in any circumstance. Likewise, I may be a little rash to worry about a problem I do not have yet (as I have no acceptances anywhere atm). I'll be blunt and state that one of my WLs is at KCUMB in Missouri. A great school/program.

Like you mention, it really depends on the school comparison. If I should be so lucky to be in a situation where I am offered two seats, I will have to do a proper pros and cons list. Your list of preferences has been very helpful and informative. I really appreciate it- Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on UQ versus a US DO school. I'm sitting on two waitlists right now and was surprised to receive a response back from UQ.
In terms of the DO vs UQ debate I too am kinda in the same boat. Ive been accepted by DO schools and am still considering this program as well. The biggest problem is that now that the match system has merged, we see that the rate for international matriculants to residency has gone down while do has gone up and MD has stayed more or less stayed the same. However, this is just looking at the rates for one year. The one thing that UQ has going for it is that it's a reputable school, so it will still hold up rather well.

For me personally, I still like the idea of UQ mainly because 1) the match lists are very good even compared to a lot of DO schools and I don't see that changing too rapidly as it takes time for these things to change
2) the potential to see a totally different healthcare system. I spent a lot of time in medical politics so world health politics intrigues me and I would love to immerse myself rather than studying from afar. In addition, I know that approximately 8-12 students from the uq o program stay in Australia after. I'm not opposed to that as well (although apparently finding a job as a doctor in Australia is really hard)

I have the MMI interview coming up in late May and I’m wondering whether someone could answer questions that I have... anything helps, thank you!! ...

1. During a station, does the interviewer converse with the interviewee and ask more questions depending on what’s talked about or is it a 7 minute monologue? If there are no further questions from the interviewer and the interviewee finishes the question early, should the interviewer just sit in silence or try to make small talk?

2. How much in depth should I research about the different healthcare systems and their respective policies of the US and Australia?

Last edited:
I have the MMI interview coming up in late May and I’m wondering whether someone could answer questions that I have... anything helps, thank you!! ...

1. During a station, does the interviewer converse with the interviewee and ask more questions depending on what’s talked about or is it a 7 minute monologue? If there are no further questions from the interviewer and the interviewee finishes the question early, should the interviewer just sit in silence or try to make small talk?

2. How much in depth should I research about the different healthcare systems and their respective policies of the US and Australia?

1. Assuming they didn't change the format from last year (first year at UQ-O), you're not allowed to ask them any questions or talk about anything not related to the MMI question of that station. You do sit in silence, and the awkwardness is suffocating, but make sure you don't fall into the trap of adding unnecessary things because you can't stand the silence. If you feel like your answer was sufficient, just stop talking.

2. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look into it. It'd be helpful to be familiar with the local healthcare issues in Louisiana (socioeconomic status, race, etc.) as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a bit confused, I've read on other threads from previous years that applicants were taking and applying as late as March. I'm a bit confused because their website says their applications open in November. Are these apps not rolling?
I was also wondering if anyone knows have an estimate of how people apply to this program, I can't seem to find any stats on acceptance rates. Thanks!

1. Assuming they didn't change the format from last year (first year at UQ-O), you're not allowed to ask them any questions or talk about anything not related to the MMI question of that station. You do sit in silence, and the awkwardness is suffocating, but make sure you don't fall into the trap of adding unnecessary things because you can't stand the silence. If you feel like your answer was sufficient, just stop talking.

2. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look into it. It'd be helpful to be familiar with the local healthcare issues in Louisiana (socioeconomic status, race, etc.) as well.

But do the interviewers ask follow-up questions after I initially answer?

I'm a bit confused, I've read on other threads from previous years that applicants were taking and applying as late as March. I'm a bit confused because their website says their applications open in November. Are these apps not rolling?
Past years' timelines may not align with this year's due to the applications being handled by UQ directly rather than MedEdPath, and the pandemic is affecting folk's sources of income, test-taking windows, etc. Apps are rolling but I don't think in the sense that stats get more competitive in the cycle. This thread pretty echoes the same story: applied, met the academic criteria, interviewed well, and accepted. Keep in mind, starting next year, the UQ-Ochsner cohort's size will decrease from ~120 to 90-100, so this may shorten the application window.

I was also wondering if anyone knows have an estimate of how people apply to this program, I can't seem to find any stats on acceptance rates. Thanks!

But do the interviewers ask follow-up questions after I initially answer?
On the day of the interview, you're given a couple of minutes with ALL the information you need to discuss.

I have a question that I think many of us may be wondering and I would appreciate if any current students could comment. (I will be asking this question in this evening's webinar, but I think there is a chance my question may not be answered).

UQ has a a 93% OVERALL match rate. What are the stats of matching DIRECTLY after your fourth year. As in, not having to take a gap year after your post-graduate medical training before applying to match again.

Edit: Likewise, when they say Match, do they mean Match or are they doing what some DO schools do and combine match and placement rates together?

Last edited:
Past years' timelines may not align with this year's due to the applications being handled by UQ directly rather than MedEdPath, and the pandemic is affecting folk's sources of income, test-taking windows, etc. Apps are rolling but I don't think in the sense that stats get more competitive in the cycle. This thread pretty echoes the same story: applied, met the academic criteria, interviewed well, and accepted. Keep in mind, starting next year, the UQ-Ochsner cohort's size will decrease from ~120 to 90-100, so this may shorten the application window.

On the day of the interview, you're given a couple of minutes with ALL the information you need to discuss.

you're awesome! thanks so much

Has anyone received the confirmation of enrollment after accepting an offer and sending the deposit?

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who has accepted their offer or current students, can you chime in on what OSHC you chose and the rationale behind your decision? I am leaning towards purchasing my own because I would like to ensure coverage as a private patient in v. public. I did some digging on the EoB of different policies and the decreased ability to chose your provider in some policies (i.e. Allianz) kind of scared me. Additionally, did you pay a lump sum for your coverage or were you able to pay monthly?

I sat in silence for each of my stations at the end when I finished my response and it was definitely weird! I also wasn't asked any further questions after I had answered

To anyone who has accepted their offer or current students, can you chime in on what OSHC you chose and the rationale behind your decision? I am leaning towards purchasing my own because I would like to ensure coverage as a private patient in v. public. I did some digging on the EoB of different policies and the decreased ability to chose your provider in some policies (i.e. Allianz) kind of scared me. Additionally, did you pay a lump sum for your coverage or were you able to pay monthly?
Compare Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) - Study in Australia is a good place to compare policies and understand the MBS and PBS. Not sure how to check which hospitals each OSHC has agreements with- you might have to contact them. I chose Allianz just because it was the easiest and haven't had any issues. I've used it for the ED (public), a minor procedure (private), and GP (private).

You have to pay for the full 4 years upfront before you can apply for your visa but you will get refunded for the last 2 years since you won't be in Australia. As a note for those who are planning to move with a partner- your partner must also have OSHC but the couple plans are more than 2x the cost of 2 individual plans. Most people recommend just getting the couple plans, but my partner and I got separate ones are were fine and I've heard others have done the same.

Has anyone received the confirmation of enrollment after accepting an offer and sending the deposit?
I'm still waiting too :/ Hopefully, they'll let us know this week? I submitted my payment and acceptance form the day after I received the email, so April 19th.

Btw, when did you send in your acceptance/payment form, assuming that you received an offer on April 18th?

I have a question that I think many of us may be wondering and I would appreciate if any current students could comment. (I will be asking this question in this evening's webinar, but I think there is a chance my question may not be answered).

UQ has a a 93% OVERALL match rate. What are the stats of matching DIRECTLY after your fourth year. As in, not having to take a gap year after your post-graduate medical training before applying to match again.

Edit: Likewise, when they say Match, do they mean Match or are they doing what some DO schools do and combine match and placement rates together?

93% is match directly after your fourth year. No gap year. Match means match.

93% is match directly after your fourth year. No gap year. Match means match.

Also fair to mention:
Only 40% match to their first choice
70% match to their third choice

Idk how these numbers differ from US schools but interesting to find out if anyone has insight.

Btw, when did you send in your acceptance/payment form, assuming that you received an offer on April 18th?

I submitted them on the 18th. This was the only program I applied to, so I was all in and knew right away I was going to accept if I got an offer :)
I emailed ochsner.med on Friday, and they said everything was received for me and that I should hear from UQ IT soon about a student email. Nothing directly was said about the COE, but I am assuming more information will come with the student email and how to apply for a student visa. I just wanted to make sure my forms were received and processed, so I was happy with the response.

Compare Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) - Study in Australia is a good place to compare policies and understand the MBS and PBS. Not sure how to check which hospitals each OSHC has agreements with- you might have to contact them. I chose Allianz just because it was the easiest and haven't had any issues. I've used it for the ED (public), a minor procedure (private), and GP (private).

You have to pay for the full 4 years upfront before you can apply for your visa but you will get refunded for the last 2 years since you won't be in Australia. As a note for those who are planning to move with a partner- your partner must also have OSHC but the couple plans are more than 2x the cost of 2 individual plans. Most people recommend just getting the couple plans, but my partner and I got separate ones are were fine and I've heard others have done the same.

Any chance you know about or have heard about pre-existing conditions? All the OSHC plans I have been researching do not cover pre-existing condition medication for 12 months, so I am trying to figure out if I will be able to get a medication or if I need to keep a US health insurance as well as the OSHC.

Thanks!

Did anyone else have trouble with their telegraphic transfer? My bank does not do international transfers and I don't know what service to use or is reputable to wire it. FlyWire does not seem to work unless you are enrolled and have a student account. Does anyone have experience with payment portals like CohortGo?

Last edited:
Did anyone else have trouble with their telegraphic transfer? My bank does not do international transfers and I don't know what service to use or is reputable to wire it. FlyWire does not seem to work unless you are enrolled and have a student account. Does anyone have experience with payment portals like CohortGo?
I'd suggest you transfer money to a trusted relative or friend and ask them to make the wire transfer on your behalf
Also fair to mention:
Only 40% match to their first choice
70% match to their third choice

Idk how these numbers differ from US schools but interesting to find out if anyone has insight.
These stats are impressive. I had a convo with another poster and wanted some insight. So from past years' white coat ceremonies, there have been ~100+ participants yet in the 2019 where we matched list only 85 ppl were listed. Anyone have a clue why numbers differ? The white coat ceremony is done before MS3, but we don't know if the poster includes SOAP spots or not.

I'd suggest you transfer money to a trusted relative or friend and ask them to make the wire transfer on your behalf

These stats are impressive. I had a convo with another poster and wanted some insight. So from past years' white coat ceremonies, there have been ~100+ participants yet in the 2019 where we matched list only 85 ppl were listed. Anyone have a clue why numbers differ? The white coat ceremony is done before MS3, but we don't know if the poster includes SOAP spots or not.
I am going to try TransferWise and see what happens. Will probably have a relative do it if this doesn't work.

I used transferwise with no problems. Pretty solid service.
I am going to try TransferWise and see what happens. Will probably have a relative do it if this doesn't work.

I submitted them on the 18th. This was the only program I applied to, so I was all in and knew right away I was going to accept if I got an offer :)
I emailed ochsner.med on Friday, and they said everything was received for me and that I should hear from UQ IT soon about a student email. Nothing directly was said about the COE, but I am assuming more information will come with the student email and how to apply for a student visa. I just wanted to make sure my forms were received and processed, so I was happy with the response.

Any chance you know about or have heard about pre-existing conditions? All the OSHC plans I have been researching do not cover pre-existing condition medication for 12 months, so I am trying to figure out if I will be able to get a medication or if I need to keep a US health insurance as well as the OSHC.

Thanks!
I do not actually. I just did the OSHC. Also, did you hear anything back about CoE yet? Or still no luck?

Has anyone heard back about CoE?
I have not heard back yet and I emailed and they said they will send the CoE "As soon as possible." That was the response I got, so I guess we just play the waiting game? We should be ok since we submitted our acceptance forms and the payment details form, right? I am assuming this secures our spot even though we haven't got the CoE past the 21 day mark? My deposit should be processed by now but I had to change my mode of payment last minute on Monday, May 4th, so my bank wire is probably still pending.

Has anyone heard back about CoE?

Yes! I received my letter on Monday and a link to the student portal on Tuesday of this week. I submitted all necessary documents and my wire transfer on April 23rd.

I do not actually. I just did the OSHC. Also, did you hear anything back about CoE yet? Or still no luck?

I just received my COE today (May 8th), no student portal link yet, and I submitted my documents and deposit on April 18th.

The match rate reflects those who apply for the match. This means it takes into account those who have finished the USMLE sequence and are ready to apply. This is a majority of applicants. Historically some students take a gap year because they haven't finished their step exams during their 4 years. The percentage of students doing this will drastically decrease in coming years because UQO now makes taking step 1 mandatory to progressing through clinical rotations (as most US schools do) whereas before this wasn't the case at UQO. Not sure why that is important to you. If you do what you're supposed to do (sitting step on time like US students) the match rate reflects what your overall chances are (which is similar to most on shore schools).

Anyone recently accepted student applied for their student visa and/or FAFSA yet?

Have you heard back yet or received your CoE? I haven't received mine yet.
I have not. I sent everything in early last week because I had an issue with the transfer with my bank being domestic only.

Anyone recently accepted student applied for their student visa and/or FAFSA yet?
I have applied for the FAFSA and am trying to apply for the visa right now and I am a bit lost on some parts in terms of terminology, but I am trying. From what I am seeing, we have to get checked up by a clinic approved by Australia. I am assuming we are allowed to apply for a visa right now but am unclear if there are any restrictions due to COVID-19 at the moment. It is a bit unclear on travel restrictions on their website.

Do you guys mind sharing your stats for those who were accepted? Thanks and congrats!

I saw online that acceptances are sent out in May, July, and October; however, those that were accepted in this forum were accepted in April. Anyone know from past years if they follow this acceptance pattern, or if they give out acceptance on a more rolling basis?

I have applied for the FAFSA and am trying to apply for the visa right now and I am a bit lost on some parts in terms of terminology, but I am trying. From what I am seeing, we have to get checked up by a clinic approved by Australia. I am assuming we are allowed to apply for a visa right now but am unclear if there are any restrictions due to COVID-19 at the moment. It is a bit unclear on travel restrictions on their website.

The financial aid people talked about this a bit during a webinar - I believe they mentioned that the financial aid department would not look at your FAFSA stuff until September so you probably have some time. There is also some information that can help you with the terminology and technical stuff on the FAFSA paperwork in this webinar:

My MMI is tomorrow... this is my first medical school interview, so I am SO nervous but also very excited. How long did it take for decisions to go out after you all interviewed?

My MMI is tomorrow... this is my first medical school interview, so I am SO nervous but also very excited. How long did it take for decisions to go out after you all interviewed?
Congrats! Tomorrows going to be an exciting day. It took 3 weeks to hear back after interviewing.

Congrats! Tomorrows going to be an exciting day. It took 3 weeks to hear back after interviewing.

Thank you so much! I think the thing I am most worried about is having enough time to formulate a response to the questions- did anyone find this to be the case? Like if there were multiple parts of a prompt, I worry about forgetting to address some.

Does anyone know where to find the academic calendar for Ochsner? I only see the general calendar online. I ask because I want to see when I should arrive in AUS. I know that it is recommended to come 2 weeks before first day of classes, but I want to come a little earlier just to situate myself, if anyone is planning to do that also. I believe classes commence February 1st? Since flights are cheap right now, I want to take advantage of these prices :)

Does anyone know where to find the academic calendar for Ochsner? I only see the general calendar online. I ask because I want to see when I should arrive in AUS. I know that it is recommended to come 2 weeks before first day of classes, but I want to come a little earlier just to situate myself, if anyone is planning to do that also. I believe classes commence February 1st? Since flights are cheap right now, I want to take advantage of these prices :)
Like this one? I found it here.

Interview Day! Good luck, Everyone.

For those who just finished interviewing, how do you think you did? Could you tell how many interviewees there were in total?