UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you double checked your info? I remember sending my MCAT score report last year and finding out early this year that the verification report expired 12/31. I sent an updated one 1/5 along with the signature thingie as soon as I saw the verification expiration date.

If you submitted your score report back in Oct, I suggest you check to see if the score report code is still valid.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey do any of you guys know how much total cost of attendance is including living expenses and all the smaller things (just curious for an estimate)?

It's difficult to calculate without knowing the details of an individual, but I think sharing an apartment is the way to go. I would guess cost in USD would be around 82k/year, which should be enough for a perpetually frugal student, resident and attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well one of my friends who's a current student said that the apartment themselves cost about 10-12k per semester. I'm not sure how true that is but on the website, it lists it at as approximately 721aud/month which when converted checks out to be about 24k/year. He did say you can share with 2/3 people so that would allow you to basically half your cost if you share with one other person.

Basically if you share with like one other person, you're going to come out to somewhere near 95-100k/year with all the other factors like food, personal expenses, any fees. That's just my math though. Basically, you're right though. I hadn't seen that part of the website. It's much better to all share a house

Have you double checked your info? I remember sending my MCAT score report last year and finding out early this year that the verification report expired 12/31. I sent an updated one 1/5 along with the signature thingie as soon as I saw the verification expiration date.

If you submitted your score report back in Oct, I suggest you check to see if the score report code is still valid.

Thanks a lot! They did need this, I completely overlooked that!

Got an interview invite today, submitted the app in late November.

Reactions: 2 users
For those that have received an invitation to interview, are there multiple dates to interview on? (are they offered every weekend starting end of March?)

In past threads, it seems like the number of people that are invited to interview is more than the number of spots available. So people had to quickly respond to reserve the spot, though they may have changed this as the spacing for sending out interview invitations has changed.

In the II, only one day was available with either online or in-person interview. Two separate time slots were available when I selected the in-person option.

I also only had one day available with the online or in person option given. But i did not have 2 time slots available to select from in the in-person option, there was only one time option. This may have been because the other time was already filled though, but I did sign up only about 20-30 mins after the invite was sent.

When I asked UQ about invites beforehand I think they did say that they should have enough slots for everyone invited to interview, so as you said I think they may have changed that system

100k/yr is probably pretty good with a buffer. If you have a family (child) you can also get childcare as part of your student loan disbursement.

Got an interview today!! Only option was online (email said no on campus interviews because of COVID-19), I applied in February.

I’m kinda bummed cause I wanted to see the campus, but makes sense why they aren’t having them. It’s sounds like they will still do tours later in the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got an interview today!! Only option was online (emailed said no on campus interviews because of COVID-19), I applied in February.

I’m kinda bummed cause I wanted to see the campus, but makes sense why they aren’t having them. It’s sounds like they will still do tours later in the year.
Congrats! The cancellation of in-person interviews is a bummer since the Ochsner campus is super nice, and nothing beats the bubbly sense of wonder you first feel when belonging, even if very slightly as an applicant, to a clinical setting of that size.

During these COVID-careful days, UQO should create interactive virtual/digital tours of the Ochsner and UQ schools similar to point-and-click adventure games to 'tour' the facilities as some of us live far away from Louisiana let alone straya.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, really excited to have heard of this program in time to apply for the 2021 cycle. Anyone have an idea as to what the average gpa and mcat scores are of accepted applicants?

Terminal degree background: Bachelors 81%, Masters 19%

Average GPA: Masters Degree 3.56, Bachelors Degree 3.39

MCAT average: 508

- from their website

does anyone know when the 2020 match list will be put out?

Don’t know, only seen the press release.
90% match rate for C/O 2019 is a very good number but I'm curious to know more about the other 10%. Looking forward to seeing a breakdown of attained specialties in the coming weeks.

In an unrelated note, does anyone know if UQO still publishes info regarding student diversity? On the internet way back machine for the mededpath pages there were yearly list of alma maters and countries of non-US citizenship, but I haven't found any info past 2016 or 2017.

Anesthesiology
Ochsner Health
Ochsner Health
University of Utah (Surgery-Prelim at Brigham & Women’s Hospital)
University at Buffalo
Loma Linda University
University of Arkansas
UC San Diego (Surgery-Prelim at Harbor-UCLA)
University of Mississippi
Emergency Medicine
Ochsner Health
LSU New Orleans
Duke University
University of Arkansas
University of Florida Jacksonville
University of New Mexico
Family Medicine
Gwinnett Medical Center
Middlesex Hospital
Health Quest
Providence Hospital Alaska
Bon Secours Health
East Jefferson General Hospital
UHS Southern California
Montana Family Medicine
LSU Bogalusa
East Jefferson General Hospital
General Surgery
Atrium Carolinas Medical Center
Guthrie Robert Packer
Ochsner LSU Shreveport
Internal Medicine
Legacy Emanuel Good Samaritan
Inova Fairfax
University of Tennessee
University of Louisville
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Illinois Chicago
Honor Health
Campbell University North Carolina
Stamford Hospital
Sunrise Health Nevada
Tulane University
University of South Florida
East Florida Ft. Lauderdale
Ochsner Health
Legacy Emanuel Good Samaritan
Virginia Commonwealth University
Ochsner Health
Internal Medicine-Primary Care
Ochsner Health
Medicine-Pediatrics
University of Louisville
Medicine-Preliminary
Southwest Indiana University
Ochsner Health
Ochsner Health
Neurology
Tulane University
University of South Alabama
Neurosurgery
Ochsner LSU Shreveport
OBGYN
UT Houston
University of Hawaii
Bridgeport Hospital
Orthopedic Surgery
Ochsner Health
Pathology
Georgetown University
University of Arizona
Pediatrics
Baystate Medical Center
Harbor-UCLA
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Chicago
Valley Children's
University of Arkansas
Oregon Health & Science University
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Beaumont Health
Kingsbrook Jewish (Transitional Year at Henry Ford)
Psychiatry
Ochsner LSU Shreveport
LSU/Ochsner New Orleans
LSU/Ochsner New Orleans
LSU/Ochsner New Orleans
Radiology
Ochsner Health
Zucker School of Medicine at Northwell (Surgery-Prelim at Guthrie Robert Packer)
Ochsner Health
Transitional Year
Blake Medical Center
University of Central Florida
Australia
Cairns Base Hospital
Cairns Base Hospital
Greenslopes Private Hospital
Launceston General Hospital
Townsville Hospital
Redlands Hospital
Bundaberg Hospital
Gold Coast Hospital

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for this. Wow NS and Ortho with a good mix of other mid-high competitive specialties. Seems like a great improvement from last year!

Does anyone know what the attrition rate was for that 2020 graduating class?

Did anyone get the recorded communication from the head of the Ochsner clinical school that was mentioned last week?

Did anyone get the recorded communication from the head of the Ochsner clinical school that was mentioned last week?
I was thinking of posting the exact same thing. No I haven't heard anything either, I was getting worried it was just me.

What is this recorded communication that you speak of?

We got an email before the interview and at the bottom it said “next week we will send you a recorded communication from the Head of Ochsner Clinical School providing additional details about the program”

The situation is not good in NOLA. I wouldn't be surprised if that communication is delayed or replaced by all the webinars and one-on-one chats mentioned in Monday's e-mail.

The B&W/Utah and UCLA-harbor/UCSD matches are major. That will be great training

I graduated with this class. There are a number of "major" matches. U of Chicago and OHSU for peds, OHSU for IM, med-peds for anything (U of louisville), and Duke, LSU New Orleans for EM are all stand out matches. Carolinas Medical Center for Surgery the top academic university program in the state. U of Hawaii, UT Houston for OB.

Hi everyone!! Just got my interview invite last week, very excited. Does anyone know what percent of interviewed applicants get accepted? My interview is at the end of May.

Hi everyone!! Just got my interview invite last week, very excited. Does anyone know what percent of interviewed applicants get accepted? My interview is at the end of May.

Congrats!

During my research into the program, I have not been able to find post-interview acceptance data online. It is likely that they may not release the information (Med-ED-Path use to handle the application process and interviews, but UQ & Ochsner clinical school does now).

However, the new/changed program that started this January talks about smaller class sizes. So I suspect there will be less acceptances and as interest in the program continues to grow, the acceptance ratio will decrease. (It was recently listed in MD schools from the princeton review). The new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program

The first round of decisions/acceptances are suppose to go out early May, but I am not sure if things are still on track.

Just my thoughts, hope that helps.

Last edited:
Congrats!

During my research into the program, I have not been able to find post-interview acceptance data online. It is likely that they may not release the information (Med-ED-Path use to handle the application process and interviews, but UQ & Ochsner clinical school does now).

However, the new/changed program that started this January talks about smaller class sizes. So I suspect there will be less acceptances and as interest in the program continues to grow, the acceptance ratio will decrease. (It was recently listed in MD schools from the princeton review). The new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program

The first round of decisions/acceptances are suppose to go out early May, but I am not sure if things are still on track.

Just my thoughts, hope that helps.
Pretty solid reply. From one of the webinars, it was mentioned that admissions dept receives hundreds of apps.

Personally, I think the admissions rates are less relevant than timing of submitting app. As Amedge pointed out the program now handles apps in-house whereas in the past MedEdPath would process them. With MedEdPath no longer in the picture, I think UQ-Ochsner program lost some popularity/pre-med awareness, so it would need to work on branding/marketing, which would explain the ads I see here and fb. Not only that, MCAT test dates are cancelled which reduces the number of potential applicants.

Overall, I think academically qualified applicants who do well in the Zoomterviews will be offered admissions in a rolling admission basis, but the entrance window may remain open a little longer due to the pandemic going on.

Pretty solid reply. From one of the webinars, it was mentioned that admissions dept receives hundreds of apps.

Personally, I think the admissions rates are less relevant than timing of submitting app. As Amedge pointed out the program now handles apps in-house whereas in the past MedEdPath would process them. With MedEdPath no longer in the picture, I think UQ-Ochsner program lost some popularity/pre-med awareness, so it would need to work on branding/marketing, which would explain the ads I see here and fb. Not only that, MCAT test dates are cancelled which reduces the number of potential applicants.

Overall, I think academically qualified applicants who do well in the Zoomterviews will be offered admissions in a rolling admission basis, but the entrance window may remain open a little longer due to the pandemic going on.

Do you think those applicants that are yet to take the MCAT due to cancellations will be put at a disadvantage?

I’ve submitted my app, just waiting on MCAT to complete it. I was originally scheduled for 4/24 (which was cancelled), now currently rescheduled for 5/29. Hoping that date somehow sticks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had their zoom interview yet? I’m a little stressed about it. I’ve never interviewed in MMI format before, much less virtually.

So I had to reschedule my MCAT to mid June because of COVID. Do you guys think this will affect my chances of admissions? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had their zoom interview yet? I’m a little stressed about it. I’ve never interviewed in MMI format before, much less virtually.
I'm a current first year at UQ-Ochsner and this was a write up I made last year about my interview prep and experience that might be helpful to you and other applicants.

... the best advice I have is to practice a fair amount like it's the real thing with someone else. I found a couple free MMI books online that I read through to help develop an understanding of what a good response sounds like and I went through almost all of the practice interview questions with my wife who acted as the interviewer. So each question I would practice reading the prompt, walking in and shaking the interviewer's hand, sitting down, and giving my answer while timed. After my time ran out, I would say thanks, shake her hand again, and walk out of the room for the next prompt. This is obviously different if it's a virtual interview but the point is to mimic the real thing as much as possible. I found it was really helpful for both learning how to work through difficult questions and how to not panic if I had a mind blank or made a mistake. During the real thing I did much better than my practice interviews and I left really happy with the experience.

Accepted too! Applied end of Feb, interviewed March 26th.

I didn't feel great about my interview, so I was very worried!! It was my first MMI, but I prepared by looking at practice videos online and example questions are pretty easy to find. The general type of questions are stated here in UQ's news post about MMIs. Your moment to shine and be seen as more than just your GPA or exam score

• Love
Congrats! Do you guys mind if I ask when you interviewed?
I also interviewed March 26! I felt uncertain about the interview as well, but like others mentioned I prepped using practice questions that I found online. I went through them with a friend who was also practicing which was helpful.

• Love
Congrats everyone! Jumping on that accepted bandwagon too!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted. Can't express how happy i am!

My boyfriend and I were both accepted!:)

Accepted as well! So excited for this ray of sunshine in an otherwise strange time. Congrats to everyone else who also heard back today and good luck to those with interviews in the future!

Congrats, guys. I applied in March and haven't received the interview invitation. Hope there will be good news soon.

Have any of you joined the Facebook group yet?
Yes, I'm in the facebook group, but not sure if its like a general Q and A group or a class of 2021 group, because I've been in the group before I was even accepted.

Hey guys. How was the MMI? and How did you prepare for it? I have an interview coming up end of May. Thanks

Did anyone else receive their interview invite in a PDF attachment? There are hyperlinks for me to click to schedule my interview, but it's in a PDF so obviously the hyperlink is not active.

I only recently found out my MCAT verification expired so I'm a little late submitting everything and hoping all these delays do not hurt my chances.

On a side note, I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on UQ versus a US DO school. I'm sitting on two waitlists right now and was surprised to receive a response back from UQ.