UQ-Ochsner 2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, so overall I'm really interested in Ochsner and after lots of research I personally think that it seems like a great program.
I've seen the match rates and programs people have matched at and it's reassuring.
However, with the new residency merger coming up next year I'm wondering how IMG's will be affected.
If any current Ochsner students could speak to their thoughts and experiences, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, so overall I'm really interested in Ochsner and after lots of research I personally think that it seems like a great program.
I've seen the match rates and programs people have matched at and it's reassuring.
However, with the new residency merger coming up next year I'm wondering how IMG's will be affected.
If any current Ochsner students could speak to their thoughts and experiences, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
this is a concern of mine as well! My understanding is the merger will open up the AOA residencies to MD students. Therefore, there will be more residencies available to US MDs and US imgs. This seems like a good thing for IMG MDs I think?? For DO students, it means more competition, since now US MDs and IMG MDs can apply for those residencies as well.

Would like more insight into this from someone more knowledgeable!!

The way I see it, DO grads will hurt since stronger MD applicants (245+) will have a shot at formerly exclusive spots like AOA orthopedics residencies for example. In my opinion the Steps will hold even more weight since it they will allow a standardized comparison among all grads regardless of their being MD or DO grads. In theory, the opening up of all residency positions benefits US IMG's from programs like the Israeli schools and UQ-O who would also have a shot at a larger number of residencies after the merger. It certainly doesn't hurt that these programs are better regarded than Caribbean schools. However, my concern would stem from the fact that new MD and DO schools are popping up like crazy (new grads!) but it's too early to panic.

Looking at the NRMP data from the last couple of years:
2016: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf
2017: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2017.pdf
2018: https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...s/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

YearPGY-1 Spots% Filled by US Grads

Mind you this are aggregate numbers, and since I don't aspire to be a cardiothoracic radiological pediatric dermatologist, I'm not terribly concerned.

TL;DR We're nowhere close to pharmacy-level of bad. Residency slots are still abundant. :) If you want to do competitive stuff, stay in the US.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The way I see it, DO grads will hurt since stronger MD applicants (245+) will have a shot at formerly exclusive spots like AOA orthopedics residencies for example. In my opinion the Steps will hold even more weight since it they will allow a standardized comparison among all grads regardless of their being MD or DO grads. In theory, the opening up of all residency positions benefits US IMG's from programs like the Israeli schools and UQ-O who would also have a shot at a larger number of residencies after the merger. It certainly doesn't hurt that these programs are better regarded than Caribbean schools. However, my concern would stem from the fact that new MD and DO schools are popping up like crazy (new grads!) but it's too early to panic.

Looking at the NMRP data from the last couple of years:
2016: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf
2017: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2017.pdf
2018: https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...s/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

YearPGY-1 Spots% Filled by US Grads

Mind you this are aggregate numbers, and since I don't aspire to be a cardiothoracic radiological pediatric dermatologist, I'm not terribly concerned.

TL;DR We're nowhere close to pharmacy-level of bad. Residency slots are still abundant. :) If you want to do competitive stuff, stay in the US.

This is reassuring thank you!
And how do you guys think that all of the new medical schools (MD & DO) rank against established IMG programs such as the Israeli schools and Ochsner? Do you think that at the end of the day they would still be preferred despite being new?
Thanks!

This is reassuring thank you!
And how do you guys think that all of the new medical schools (MD & DO) rank against established IMG programs such as the Israeli schools and Ochsner? Do you think that at the end of the day they would still be preferred despite being new?
Thanks!
Glad to have helped.

I wouldn't speculate too much since at the end of the day PD's determine who gets in and who doesn't. There are many factors at play with the interview being the most important. Considering UQ-O's success of having most of its grads matching into a top 3 ranked position, I think the ball is (generally) on the grad's court and prior cohorts have done a wonderful job trailblazing. Of course, I can say this because I have strong suspicion that I'll end up in a field that first attracted me to medicine in the first place (PCP), but if your heart is set out for more competitive stuff, then look at the numbers and scrutinize UQ-O and NRMP matches in your tentative field.

Mind you, your taste is very liable to change somewhere between now and submitting residency apps.

Last edited:
No, when you apply to advanced programs, they don't always have the option to do the internship at the same facility, so you apply to both prelim and advanced programs at the same time and interview for both. Anesthesia and PM&R are examples of programs that have an intern year that can be separate.

I understand that but I am assuming someone asked about prelims because they saw the match statistics. If they had prelim listed there I am assuming its because they didn't have a categorical spot. Notice how UQO published the anesthesia and PMnR matches without including the prelim years which might be done elsewhere. In fact there are several people listed on the match day email that just had prelim surgery or prelim medicine written under their names. Thus they did not match into further training at this time.

Do y'all know if most applicants choose UQ-O as their ... hmm... back up school?

Seeing as they're international and there isn't really much raving about the program.

I'm asking because as soon as I heard about UQ-O it quickly became my first choice.
How is UQ-O seen in the states?
What about internationally with accredited organizations such as WHO and MSF?
:)

Thank you.

I think you've already gotten good replies on this question. When I applied 4 years ago it was seen as a back up although many of the stronger students here chose it over DO acceptances they had. There are some people like myself who never applied to any US schools and just took this acceptance and ran with it but I knew I wasn't competitive for US schools. I doubt the landscape has changed that much over the past few years since I applied. I know that the admissions standards have increased and thus I am assuming the caliber of students accepted is overall stronger academically but admissions criteria are obviously still no where near the level of the average US MD school's MCAT average and grades.

I understand that but I am assuming someone asked about prelims because they saw the match statistics. If they had prelim listed there I am assuming its because they didn't have a categorical spot. Notice how UQO published the anesthesia and PMnR matches without including the prelim years which might be done elsewhere. In fact there are several people listed on the match day email that just had prelim surgery or prelim medicine written under their names. Thus they did not match into further training at this time.
In fact on the face sheet they do list one of the PMR matches both prelim and advanced spot.

If they matched ochsner anesthesia they offer a prelim spot for their advanced programs.

Acceptance email!

May I ask your GPA and MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
If we received the email saying originally that we had completed the interview requirement and would receive an email with admissions decisions on May 1 2019, does anyone know if we would receive an email no matter the decision? Like would we receive a rejection email as well or just acceptances today? I haven’t received any email with a decision.

If we received the email saying originally that we had completed the interview requirement and would receive an email with admissions decisions on May 1 2019, does anyone know if we would receive an email no matter the decision? Like would we receive a rejection email as well or just acceptances today? I haven’t received any email with a decision.
I assume you've already finished your bachelor's since I know of another person who has yet to hear back. If I were you, I'd call and ask.

I assume you've already finished your bachelor's since I know of another person who has yet to hear back. If I were you, I'd call and ask.

So an update: I received an email in response to one I sent and it said “We receive batches of decisions from UQ. We are currently waiting on a number of decisions to be released, which we expect in the coming days.”

Sooo basically I think someone messed up over there because the original email definitely said on May 1st.

congrats you guys! Very exciting. I remember the day I heard back, 3+ years ago

Reactions: 3 users
If you think that’s exciting wait until match day! I have pretty good memories of med school. Envious of y’all getting to go through it. I don’t miss the constant pressure of grades though!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone accepted so far! Can't wait to meet you in Oz :)

Also, a few of you already have messaged with questions, but if you want to know anything about my Y1 experience so far, I’m more than willing to chat!

Reactions: 1 user
Also, a few of you already have messaged with questions, but if you want to know anything about my Y1 experience so far, I’m more than willing to chat!

same :) so excited for y'all! now you can breathe easy and enjoy the rest of your year. Also, anyone concerned about applying late, I applied in Sept/Oct 2018 for the 2019 start, was interviewed in Nov and accepted in Dec. It was all super stressful and very rushed so I would def recommend applying sooner than later, just don't be discouraged thinking it's too late.

same :) so excited for y'all! now you can breathe easy and enjoy the rest of your year. Also, anyone concerned about applying late, I applied in Sept/Oct 2018 for the 2019 start, was interviewed in Nov and accepted in Dec. It was all super stressful and very rushed so I would def recommend applying sooner than later, just don't be discouraged thinking it's too late.
Thanks! How hard was it for you guys to relocate, find apartments, ect? My wife and I are starting to think about the logistics.

Got waitlisted :(
Anybody know the general timetable for waitlist or chances with oschner?

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind sharing your stats? I would like to get an idea of what kind of range they wait list people.

Sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing your app timeline and stats?

I will have to decline my offer for personal reasons, so I hope you get my place. Best of luck!

I received my interview invitation for 5/17 yesterday. Not exactly a ton of advance notice to make travel arrangements but I will be in Poland during the next interview date in June. I've never done a Skype interview before so I just want to stick with the format and setting that I'm familiar with.

Thanks! How hard was it for you guys to relocate, find apartments, ect? My wife and I are starting to think about the logistics.

I came out a month before classes started, and found an apartment my first day of looking. If you’re especially concerned, you’ll find that students in higher classes are exceptionally helpful. I had a lot of people offer to inspect apartments for me, etc.

I interviewed in New Orleans yesterday. Last year I had an MMI at RFU that I had prepared quite a bit for so I felt fairly comfortable this time around. The prompts were similar so if you've never done an MMI before it wouldn't hurt to do some practice questions or brush up a bit on medical ethics. I assumed that we would get a pen & paper to jot down our thoughts during the preparation time before each station but that wasn't the case. Honestly, I was probably more stressed about catching my flight out than the interview itself. My group wrapped up just before 5 PM and my flight was at 6:15 PM. There was gridlock traffic right near the airport so I ended up having to ditch my Uber and run the rest of the way to the terminal!

Also interviewed here yesterday! Interviewed first and came out feeling pretty good about it since I was able to practice a little beforehand. The tour itself was pretty cursory but overall Ochsner seems like a great place. And the current med students were really great about answering all our questions. Here's hoping to hear some good news soon!
For those already accepted, how long was the turn around time from interview to decision? And I've read some previous threads that said you get an email saying you "passed" the interview. Did any of you get a similar email?

For those already accepted, how long was the turn around time from interview to decision? And I've read some previous threads that said you get an email saying you "passed" the interview. Did any of you get a similar email?

It took about 5 1/2 weeks for me, but it may take less time depending on the batch your app is in. Regarding the email, the one I received a few days later said the "interview requirement had been completed." Best of luck!

Hey there! I interviewed for UQ on site in NOLA (highly recommend to others over the Skype option if you're able) on Friday 4/12 and got my acceptance on 5/1. The Tuesday following my interview I received a the "you passed the interview" email. What was unusual, but highly appreciated, was that they also indicated that they would have a final decision for me on 5/1. They did mention, however, that 5/1 was their first round of decisions, often indicating that the turnaround time would be shorter than expected for the rest of the application cycle.

Having an exact date to hear back for your decision is nice but also encourages neuroticism as I spent nearly the entire day refreshing my email with my heart rate well above normal all day.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I interviewed for UQ on site in NOLA (highly recommend to others over the Skype option if you're able) on Friday 4/12 and got my acceptance on 5/1. The Tuesday following my interview I received a the "you passed the interview" email. What was unusual, but highly appreciated, was that they also indicated that they would have a final decision for me on 5/1. They did mention, however, that 5/1 was their first round of decisions, often indicating that the turnaround time would be shorter than expected for the rest of the application cycle.
I received an email from Alex acknowledging that I completed the interview, but it didn't mention that I had "passed." The email also stated that "Admissions decisions will be released early July 2019." Hopefully none of that is a bad sign!

this is a concern of mine as well! My understanding is the merger will open up the AOA residencies to MD students. Therefore, there will be more residencies available to US MDs and US imgs. This seems like a good thing for IMG MDs I think?? For DO students, it means more competition, since now US MDs and IMG MDs can apply for those residencies as well.

Would like more insight into this from someone more knowledgeable!!

Don't kid yourself. The AOA programs that are converting into ACGME programs will usually have a heavy pro-DO bias, and if any of their spots are to be filled by MDs, it'll either be because they're very competitive applicants (i.e., US MDs with great stats, letters, etc.) or because the programs are so uncompetitive that they're unable to fill their spots with DOs.

Each year, more US MD and DO schools are opening, and more domestic students are being pumped into the residency match. The outlook for IMGs is looking quite dismal, perhaps even for graduates from the more "reputable" international programs, such as Ochsner and Sackler.

I received an email from Alex acknowledging that I completed the interview, but it didn't mention that I had "passed." The email also stated that "Admissions decisions will be released early July 2019." Hopefully none of that is a bad sign!

I'm sorry I was using the wrong vocabulary to describe the two emails I received. The first email was the day after my interview and simply had contact information for any questions. The second email arrived the following Monday 4/15 with the subject line "Your Interview Requirement Has Been Completed" noting my complete applicant file would be sent to Queensland for review and also listed a decision date of 5/1, specifically.

I suspect in previous years they may have actually use the word "passed" in reference to completing the interview but have since changed it because it causes the sort of confusion that we're going through :)

So far it sounds like you're on track so nothing to worry about!

Don't kid yourself. The AOA programs that are converting into ACGME programs will usually have a heavy pro-DO bias, and if any of their spots are to be filled by MDs, it'll either be because they're very competitive applicants (i.e., US MDs with great stats, letters, etc.) or because the programs are so uncompetitive that they're unable to fill their spots with DOs.

Each year, more US MD and DO schools are opening, and more domestic students are being pumped into the residency match. The outlook for IMGs is looking quite dismal, perhaps even for graduates from the more "reputable" international programs, such as Ochsner and Sackler.
Appreciate your input! I’ve seen a lot of different predictions for the merger and how it will affect the match. For personal reasons, I’m still choosing to attend UQ ochsner over the DO acceptances I hold.

If any current student are browsing this thread, I read in a previous year thread that lectures are not mandatory and are recorded to be posted online. And only PBL sessions have required attendance. Is this still accurate? Thanks

If any current student are browsing this thread, I read in a previous year thread that lectures are not mandatory and are recorded to be posted online. And only PBL sessions have required attendance. Is this still accurate? Thanks

Current 1st year here. Yes, lectures are not mandatory and are uploaded fairly consistently. They probably were uploaded late a couple of times this semester. CBL is essentially the only mandatory class you need to attend (I think there were a few labs that were mandatory i.e. PPE/hand hygiene)

Current 1st year here. Yes, lectures are not mandatory and are uploaded fairly consistently. They probably were uploaded late a couple of times this semester. CBL is essentially the only mandatory class you need to attend (I think there were a few labs that were mandatory i.e. PPE/hand hygiene)

Like toradoradm said, very few things are mandatory. CBL meets twice a week, unless that's changed. There are 2 or 3 mandatory procedural skills workshops/labs as well each semester (hand hygiene, PPE, venepuncture and a few others). There are also pathology tutorials, which are pretty useful, but also highly dependent on the tutor you have - teaching quality and engagement varies from tutor to tutor you get, but they're typically all pathology registrars (advanced trainees). If you cut down to the bare bones required activities, it's essentially CBL twice a week, and clinical coaching once a week for Phase 1 students (plus the random previously mentioned labs/workshops/pathology/anatomy tutorials).

The policy for those (and lectures) officially is that attendance is 100% expected. It's not really enforced, however (again, this could have changed), and if you don't do well in your studies, one of the things they may review is your attendance, and if you did poorly and had bad attendance, that doesn't reflect well on you as a student.

Hi, I have couple of questions with regards to clinical years at Ochsner. I would like to do my residency in NY/NJ area and would like to find out if anyone know: How difficult to land away rotations in NY area? Also, it looks like you can do only 1 away but is it possible to do more than one ?

Hi, I have couple of questions with regards to clinical years at Ochsner. I would like to do my residency in NY/NJ area and would like to find out if anyone know: How difficult to land away rotations in NY area? Also, it looks like you can do only 1 away but is it possible to do more than one ?
I asked an M3 about away rotations after my interview and he said that no one really does them unless they are gunning for EM residency, in which case aways are basically mandatory and students find ways to squeeze in more than 1 away rotation. Other than that he said aways aren't really worth the hassle for most specialties and if you are trying to do something competitive you can aways rotate at nearby hospitals that may have a more impressive department you want to work in. Most people end up matching in an area they want to even if they haven't rotated there. Also you usually have to pay tuition to the school you are rotating at in addition to your Ochsner tuition and temporary living expenses near your rotating hospital so it's tough to justify for most people.

As for working in the NJ/NY area, based on a quick search it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to find hospitals that support aways with IMGs and NY is known to be friendly to IMGs in the match, but like everything, it depends on your stats and your specialty.

I'm considering internal/family med so I haven't looked into it more than that.

It's almost interview time!! Good luck to everyone else interviewing today! <3

Reactions: 3 users
I am currently on the waitlist and was wondering if any of you’ve been waitlisted then got in or if Anybody knows the general timeline for waitlist and such?

I am currently on the waitlist and was wondering if any of you’ve been waitlisted then got in or if Anybody knows the general timeline for waitlist and such?

I’m not sure what the turn around time is but I know @hdjs94 said he got waitlisted too. When did you interview and when did you find out?

Also do you mind sharing your stats & how you felt the interview went for you?

Anyone know when a FB group will be made so we can meet some of our cohort?? Seems like OMSA had the groups made earlier for the past years!

Reactions: 2 users
@sodapopsmiles

I’m not sure what the turn around time is but I know @hdjs94 said he got waitlisted too. When did you interview and when did you find out?

Also do you mind sharing your stats & how you felt the interview went for you?

I was waitlisted on may 1st and I have a 3.65 undergrad GPA with a 508 MCAT. I thought the interview was fair and went pretty well, some questions I had strong answers for and others I felt were average answers.

@sodapopsmiles

I was waitlisted on may 1st and I have a 3.65 undergrad GPA with a 508 MCAT. I thought the interview was fair and went pretty well, some questions I had strong answers for and others I felt were average answers.

I... am probably not even going to bother applying if 3.5+ and 508 is a waitlist. I was thinking anything above a 3.2 and 506 was competitive enough. Hope you get in later, buddy.