UQ-Ochsner 2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can a current student speak a bit on the timeline for years 3 and 4 at Ochsner? As in, how many consecutive weeks are the rotations and when are our weeks off, etc? And how long can an away rotation request be for? Thanks!

I'm starting next year, so I don't know much about the away rotation, but I think this academic calendar might answer your first question.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
M1/M2 are just 17 week semesters and a couple weeks in between with a 2 month break between years.

Keep in mind though that the “break” includes 8 weeks of an observership!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any tips on how to write the GTE and SOP statements for the student visa? Also, if we want to prove we have enough funds to cover our living expenses and tuition in Australia, how much should we demonstrate we have in our bank account? Is it okay if most of funds come from a family member's bank account (e.g. parents) or can we only include money from our bank account? Also, do we have to show we have enough funds for all four years of med school or just the first year for the GTE?

Does anyone have any tips on how to write the GTE and SOP statements for the student visa? Also, if we want to prove we have enough funds to cover our living expenses and tuition in Australia, how much should we demonstrate we have in our bank account? Is it okay if most of funds come from a family member's bank account (e.g. parents) or can we only include money from our bank account? Also, do we have to show we have enough funds for all four years of med school or just the first year for the GTE?
Basically all I wrote was I would be doing the first two years of medical school in Australia and the last two in the US, with the goal of obtaining a US medical residency at the end. I attached the offer letter from UQ-O, my undergrad transcripts, and a pay stub. For the funds, I just put living expenses and tuition would primarily be covered by US Federal Loans along with some personal savings. I didn't have to submit any proof or bank account statements like I did when I got a student visa in Italy during undergrad.

Does anyone know if we have to convert our USD to AUD in order to pay for the Student Visa application? Or will paying with USD debit card automatically convert (without any additional fees ON TOP of standard conversion fees)? (Note: I have BoA)

I feel like I'm getting taxed and fee'd to death with these conversions.

How do students avoid as much fees as possible to pay for tuition and living expenses in Australia? Open a bank in Australia and let USD loans transfer in?

Does anyone know if we have to convert our USD to AUD in order to pay for the Student Visa application? Or will paying with USD debit card automatically convert (without any additional fees ON TOP of standard conversion fees)? (Note: I have BoA)

I feel like I'm getting taxed and fee'd to death with these conversions.

How do students avoid as much fees as possible to pay for tuition and living expenses in Australia? Open a bank in Australia and let USD loans transfer in?

Paying for the student visa application your bank will automatically convert USD to AUD. I think Bank of America also charges a 3% international fee which sucks.

Open an Australian bank as soon as you get here (some banks might even let you open one before you get here). I think with the loans the best option is to have it put into an Australian bank. If you do need to get money from a US bank account to your Australian one I recommend watching the exchange rate and waiting until it's favorable. I use Transferwise to get money between my US bank and Australian bank- they generally have lower fees and better exchange rates.

Bank of America has no international fees if you qualify with the right account. You might be able to since I think it requires 10k in your account. You get a large disbursement every term for living expenses.

I'm so anxious; I've been refreshing my email a bazillion times today. It mentioned that decisions will be out the first week of November; do you guys think decisions will be released later or earlier in the week?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so anxious; I've been refreshing my email a bazillion times today. It mentioned that decisions will be out the first week of November; do you guys think decisions will be released later or earlier in the week?

I received my decision on Thursday of the first week (they told me first week of the month as well haha) but this obviously doesn't necessarily mean they'll send out the results on Thursday again. Hope to see you next year!

I guess later

Help me decide!

I've been accepted to several US DO schools (MCAT 510-513, uGPA 3.0-3.5, gGPA 3.5-4.0) for Summer 2020. This includes a old state-sponsored, public DO school where I would be paying <$50,000 in tuition.

Some elements of "ostopathic medicine" have begun to irritate me.

I had always felt that DO = MD + OMM, but I have to pretend that there is something "special" about it (during ceremonial or political processes within the DO community). It's so eyerolling to listen to and seems to be propelled by the financial interests of the AOA. I don't really want to be perceived as a "special" doctor - I just want to be a doctor.

The DO school I intend to matriculate at is quite strong. I am virtually guranteed residency placement. UQO looks pretty good, but it's more expensive, seems to have many unknowns and would cost me an extra year (I would be applying for the 2021 intake).

What do you guys think I should do?

It's really up to you. Seems like you're aware of the pros and cons. Quite a few in my class have turned down DO offers to attend UQ-O. Some decided to go DO instead. Both cases exist, which shows there are reasons to go either way. I don't think you should care about the whole philosophy aspect too much, though. It might seem annoying now, but once you're out practicing, I don't think it'll bother you too much, if at all.

The cheaper tuition is a huge plus. I'd say that alone is a good enough reason to go DO.

If you apply to UQ-O by January, you'll know your results before the first day of DO school, so you can decide after you get accepted.

Hey that was so thoughtful. Thank you.

Did the friends who chose UQ over DO (or DO over UQ) explain their thoughts to you?

No problem!

I think it boiled down to them preferring the MD degree over the DO, whatever the reasons for that may be. I won't go into too much detail for privacy reasons. The person who chose DO did so because of the cheaper tuition.

I bet the so-called admissions gurus on SDN will be quick to tell you to choose DO and never look back. If you were choosing between DO and Caribbean, I'll tell you the same thing, but if the choice is between DO and UQ-O, it gets a bit complicated (assuming the cheaper tuition isn't persuading you). If the DO philosophy doesn't sit well with you, maybe you shouldn't go for the DO. I know I said the issue might seem trivial in the future, as it does to most people, but it may not for you. Only you will know.

I'll DM you the reason why I chose UQ-O over DO as it's a bit personal. I'm not sure if it will help with your decision, but I was in your shoes so I just want to share my thought process.

Help me decide!

I've been accepted to several US DO schools (MCAT 510-513, uGPA 3.0-3.5, gGPA 3.5-4.0) for Summer 2020. This includes a old state-sponsored, public DO school where I would be paying <$50,000 in tuition.

Some elements of "ostopathic medicine" have begun to irritate me.

I had always felt that DO = MD + OMM, but I have to pretend that there is something "special" about it (during ceremonial or political processes within the DO community). It's so eyerolling to listen to and seems to be propelled by the financial interests of the AOA. I don't really want to be perceived as a "special" doctor - I just want to be a doctor.

The DO school I intend to matriculate at is quite strong. I am virtually guranteed residency placement. UQO looks pretty good, but it's more expensive, seems to have many unknowns and would cost me an extra year (I would be applying for the 2021 intake).

What do you guys think I should do?
So I personally chose uqo over DO due to philosophy and lack of interest in OMM. You will be stuck with the DO degree for the rest of your life so just do some soul searching on if you would be fine with that. In the end, they are practicing physicians who match very well!

Another option is to see if you can defer your acceptance to any of the DO schools and apply to both MD and UQO for this next cycle! You could obtain stateside MD admission with your stats if you get some good clinical experience (e.g. medical assistant in a drs office), strong letters, and apply smart/early. If that fails, then you have DO and UQO MD to fall back on :)

Hey, thank you for the supportive reply! I am definitely in the middle of some soul searching right now.

I actually was complete in July as a first time applicant and had a few thousand hours clinical experience (I worked in healthcare) with a custom-made MD and DO school list.

Was UQO about the same tuition as the DO one for you?
DO was cheaper, but not by much. I will say the location was a factor in me picking UQO over the DO schools as well.

Does anyone know if there are observerships during the first year? If so, when and where do they take place?

Hi Everyone, I'm very interested in applying to UQ-oschner and have a couple of questions.

Is it true that it's not considered an international school since it's restricted to US citizens?
Also, since Step 1 is now pass/fail, how do we think this will affect graduates from UQ Oschner?

I would love to hear people's perspectives on these. I would love to go to school here, just want to make sure I make the best decision for myself. Congrats to those accepted!

Hi Everyone, I'm very interested in applying to UQ-oschner and have a couple of questions.

Is it true that it's not considered an international school since it's restricted to US citizens?
Also, since Step 1 is now pass/fail, how do we think this will affect graduates from UQ Oschner?

I would love to hear people's perspectives on these. I would love to go to school here, just want to make sure I make the best decision for myself. Congrats to those accepted!

When applying for residency, UQ-Oschner is most definitely considered an international school. Therefore, you would be classified as an IMG applicant (international medical graduate). By being a US citizen, there is a slight advantage over non-citizens since they would be applying as FMGs (foreign medical graduates). IMGs, however, will still have a tougher time compared US MDs and US DOs since they are classified as US-Seniors.

Yes like said above, UQ-Ochsner grads are still IMGs. However we have the benefit over most IMGs considering the 2 clinical years are done at an established clinical school in the states and UQ is a respectable school. But at the end of the day there will still be residencies that won't consider IMGs.

With Step 1, no one really knows. It's speculated that it'll be bad for IMGs but we'll have to wait and see for sure.

How much clinical electIves do you get? I noticed two students matched into ophthalmology and am wondering if there is enough time there for someone to show interest in a particular subject.

How much clinical electIves do you get? I noticed two students matched into ophthalmology and am wondering if there is enough time there for someone to show interest in a particular subject.

You get 2 weeks of ophthalmology as part of your 4th year. You get 6 weeks of elective time in 4th year to do anything you want. You'll have some break weeks as well. Basically there's enough time built into the schedule to do an away rotation or extra rotation to show interest in anything you want. Although you'll likely have less elective time than a student from a US school.

It's all doable but bear in mind ophthalmology is extremely competitive even for U.S. students. I don't think we've had anyone apply for at least the last 2-3 years.

I just got an acceptance email.

I applied with a undergrad GPA 3.5, postbac GPA 2.9 and 506 MCAT.

I am seriously considering UQ-Ochsner but am also considering reapplying. I would love to talk to someone who is thinking about going/definitely going/current student. Would be great to met up in NYC, please PM me!
This is an old thread, but Im hoping youre still active on SDN so I can get feedback on your decisions. Whether you have regret or are satisfied with the choices you made.

I was accepted as well!
Felt a bit cautious sharing the news, though. You know, just in case someone from the August interviews didn't get in, god forbid.
Excited to meet you guys!
Hello! I
Hello! I am currently a Premed from the US planning to apply to UQ Oschner for the 2021 cohort. I am currently planning to take the MCAT in the beginning of august. I have already taken the MCAT once and got a 509. I am hoping for a significant score improvement this time around. However, my GPA is a 2.9 and a 3.0 the past two years. I noticed that you got accepted relatively late in the cycle and was wondering if you would be willing to share your stats, even if its through PM. I just want to know what stats are required to get accepted late in the cycle as I will be applying late in the cycle with extremely weak stats. Thank you! I really appreciate it!

I was accepted as well!
Felt a bit cautious sharing the news, though. You know, just in case someone from the August interviews didn't get in, god forbid.
Excited to meet you guys!
Hello! I am currently a Premed from the US planning to apply to UQ Oschner for the 2021 cohort. I am currently planning to take the MCAT in the beginning of august. I have already taken the MCAT once and got a 509. I am hoping for a significant score improvement this time around. However, my GPA is a 2.9 and a 3.0 the past two years. I noticed that you got accepted relatively late in the cycle and was wondering if you would be willing to share your stats, even if its through PM. I just want to know what stats are required to get accepted late in the cycle as I will be applying late in the cycle with extremely weak stats and would like to get a rough sense of where I stand. Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Hello! I am currently a Premed from the US planning to apply to UQ Oschner for the 2021 cohort. I am currently planning to take the MCAT in the beginning of august. I have already taken the MCAT once and got a 509. I am hoping for a significant score improvement this time around. However, my GPA is a 2.9 and a 3.0 the past two years. I noticed that you got accepted relatively late in the cycle and was wondering if you would be willing to share your stats, even if its through PM. I just want to know what stats are required to get accepted late in the cycle as I will be applying late in the cycle with extremely weak stats and would like to get a rough sense of where I stand. Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Due to Covid, they are offering MMI interviews based on the GPA. If you pass the MMI they will offer you a conditional offer pending the outcome of your MCAT. Even if you have an MCAT score above 504, you may still not get into the program. Your evaluation is 25% GPA, 25% MCAT and 50% MMI. Seems like success is heavily weighted on the MMI. I had a 3.4, thought I performed well on the MMI and got rejected. My interview was 6/18. I will sit the MCAT too in August. Not sure if I will reapply for the 2022 intake. 2 pre reqs will be needed to be completed before consideration into the 2022 program.

I also have a feeling based on their admissions requirements and profile summary that they prefer candidates who have their undergrad degrees in the sciences. I got a BA in History and a minor in economics did all the pre med courses too orgo, physics, bio, calc etc and a sGPA of 3.4 from a demanding school who practices grade deflation, so I feel I probably worked my butt off more than other students to earn these grades. I’m not sure why so much emphasis is placed on 8 questions by UQ on a MMI round of stations is the big deciding factor for admissions to UQ-O. It seems like there is no holistic consideration of the candidate and no depth to their selection process. If you look at the profile of admitted students into LSU Med School for example, the majority come from the sciences and 1 or 2 from English, history or psychology. Look too at the UQ post grad domestic applicant requirements, similar story. Yes they claim they take students from the humanities and social sciences , but the percentage is very low, more like a token, put there to think you actually have a chance.

Hello! I am currently a Premed from the US planning to apply to UQ Oschner for the 2021 cohort. I am currently planning to take the MCAT in the beginning of august. I have already taken the MCAT once and got a 509. I am hoping for a significant score improvement this time around. However, my GPA is a 2.9 and a 3.0 the past two years.
FYI I had the same stats and got rejected. I had an upward trend in my undergraduate GPA (DIY post-bacc) but then I did mediocre in a SMP. In hindsight, I should've passed on the SMP and applied in earlier years when they didn't seem to be as selective.