UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To current student, how is this years interview cycle treating UQO students, are they getting any luck with some of the competitive specialty like surg, ortho, urology?
How many interviews are some getting?

Members don't see this ad :)
To current student, how is this years interview cycle treating UQO students, are they getting any luck with some of the competitive specialty like surg, ortho, urology?
How many interviews are some getting?

not sure yet but check website to see last years match list to get an idea

Do you mind sharing if you work for the government or for a non-profit? You're in your residency? PSLF sounds so dreamy

Pretty much every hospital in the US qualifies for PSLF with the exception of a few in Florida for some weird reason. (They seem to have more private hospitals)

Sorry I've been living on the road doing the interview trail. It's all done and I have some semblance of a life back again. Sean80439 is right; most any teaching hospital is going to qualify. You want to look for 501c3 employment.

That's assuming PSLF is a still a thing. We're in a unpredictable political climate to say the least and education spending does not rank on the top half of the priority list. On top of that nobody expected this program to be as popular as it is or that it would cost as much as it is going to with the number of applications out there. We are just now running into the first round of loan forgiveness.

Hey guys - for those of you who have been accepted/intend to attend, is there already a facebook group for our cohort?

First post EVER! But just wanted to say that I got my acceptance and interviewed in NOLA two weeks ago. I am a non-traditional and have a family coming with me, if we do this. Anyone out there married with kids? We are prior military, so moving around is normal for us :)

I also wanted to add that after interviewing and meeting the Dean and the current students, I am even more impressed with this program and what it has to offer. Yes, it does seem that you have to be more of a self-motivator and make things happen for yourself, but that's something I feel I would want in a physician anyways. I love the aspect of learning both systems of healthcare and being qualified to practice in both countries afterwards. I am excited for the possibilities and look forward to meeting many of you!

For those that have gone over in previous classes, is there a list of MUST-HAVE things to bring over that are hard to come by over there?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm interviewing tomorrow. any tips or words of wisdom?

Hi! Recently received an acceptance offer for 2018. I sent in my downpayment, insurance, and clinical school preference, but I was wondering if anyone had received an offer but not a CoQ; also, if anyone had been waitlisted, did they let you know before you sent in your downpayment or after? Just trying to gauge where I actually stand as far as having a seat in the class :).

Last edited:
First post EVER! But just wanted to say that I got my acceptance and interviewed in NOLA two weeks ago. I am a non-traditional and have a family coming with me, if we do this. Anyone out there married with kids? We are prior military, so moving around is normal for us :)

I also wanted to add that after interviewing and meeting the Dean and the current students, I am even more impressed with this program and what it has to offer. Yes, it does seem that you have to be more of a self-motivator and make things happen for yourself, but that's something I feel I would want in a physician anyways. I love the aspect of learning both systems of healthcare and being qualified to practice in both countries afterwards. I am excited for the possibilities and look forward to meeting many of you!

For those that have gone over in previous classes, is there a list of MUST-HAVE things to bring over that are hard to come by over there?

You'll get an OMSA guide to Brisbane that details the move and compiles advice from many UQO students regarding must haves so have a read through that. The short answer from me is not really. But then again, "must haves" is unique to each person.

You'll get an OMSA guide to Brisbane that details the move and compiles advice from many UQO students regarding must haves so have a read through that. The short answer from me is not really. But then again, "must haves" is unique to each person.

Thanks! I don't need much, except for my tech gear... computer, ipad, printer, etc... Looking forward to it!

I moved to Aussie with my wife. She says tampons are a must bring. Seriously.

Also if you have a fav liquor bring as much as you can. It is unbelievably expensive there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Midol doesn’t exist there. We brought a ton of bathroom supplies and meds since they tend to be cheaper from Costco. I was prior service as well and moved with my family. You can get additional student loans for childcare as well. I brought my desktop computer disassembled and purchased a case and monitor there.

I moved to Aussie with my wife. She says tampons are a must bring. Seriously.

Also if you have a fav liquor bring as much as you can. It is unbelievably expensive there.

Yes. Beer is also expensive and will make you miss Bud Heavy if you aren't drinking the even more expensive microbrews. Coopers is an exception to this rule. Also liquor is watered down in most case so you can fit a standard 20 drinks in a bottle.

Wine is cheap. You will drink lots of it. Cleanskins is the way to go if you don't want the vaguely wine flavored fluid they sell in boxes.

Who is watering down liquor? As to wine, I started with $10-$12 bottles as a student, then $20 as an intern, and now I find $30 bottles are a good price-point. Not sure why anyone would buy bags of goon (except to play Circle of Goon).

Who is watering down liquor? As to wine, I started with $10-$12 bottles as a student, then $20 as an intern, and now I find $30 bottles are a good price-point. Not sure why anyone would buy bags of goon (except to play Circle of Goon).

I noticed it with bourbon. The cheap bottom shelf stuff like Nelson County was 37% ABV and even a few American brands (I'm looking at you, Jim Beam, and the sorry 37% ABV you offer) come at lower than usual proof.

It's not much, but it's technically not bourbon...

I noticed it with bourbon. The cheap bottom shelf stuff like Nelson County was 37% ABV and even a few American brands (I'm looking at you, Jim Beam, and the sorry 37% ABV you offer) come at lower than usual proof.

It's not much, but it's technically not bourbon...

You're spot on. They do dilute the liquor to 37% due to it costing less on taxes, and also due to legal requirements. Also the bottles are 700ml. You'll notice sailor jerry's is of a lower proof as well in australia.

Hi! I'm curious to know where are people living in their first year of MD? Off-campus or on-campus? Not sure if this has been asked before but I tried looking everywhere and I haven't found a forum about it yet.

Hi guys, just got my offer of acceptance, any advice on what a good website is to find housing!? Thank you!

Hi! I'm curious to know where are people living in their first year of MD? Off-campus or on-campus? Not sure if this has been asked before but I tried looking everywhere and I haven't found a forum about it yet.

On the FB page, it says most people live off-campus, although there are some who live on-campus.
Hi guys, just got my offer of acceptance, any advice on what a good website is to find housing!? Thank you!

Google "UQ rentals" and the first link should provide you with all the necessary information for housing.

realestate.com.au

Most people use this website to find rentals. Good luck.

Almost everyone lives off campus. Most people find temporary housing like an airbnb for when they fly in 1-2 weeks before orientation week starts and then use their time before classes start to find something more permanent once they get here.

realestate.com.au is a website that all owners and brokers advertise through which makes it easy.

Does anyone know when our tuition payments are due?

Is the minimum gpa for UQ-Ochsner 2.7 or 3.0? And is it a hurdle GPA like some other australian med schools? Meaning applicants above the required gpa are viewed more or less the same, with MCAT being the most important factor followed by Interview/EC/etc.

Is the minimum gpa for UQ-Ochsner 2.7 or 3.0? And is it a hurdle GPA like some other australian med schools? Meaning applicants above the required gpa are viewed more or less the same, with MCAT being the most important factor followed by Interview/EC/etc.

1. Minimum MCAT score of 502 (no section minimum) or 28 (at least 8 in each section) taken in one sitting

2. MCAT Test date of January 2015 onwards

3. B average

4. B.A. or B.S. degree earned since 2008 for the 2018 entering class.

Students who pass their interview and meet the above requirements with MCAT scores of 502/28 or greater, will receive offers on a rolling basis.

Sounds like something you could have looked up yourself in 2 seconds on the mededpath website.

Sounds like something you could have looked up yourself in 2 seconds on the mededpath website.

Lol, you don't think I did that? They don't specify what they mean by the B average. Other Australian schools ask for a B average and they mean it to be 2.67/2.7. In the past, UQ Ocshner has described their minimum as a 2.7. There's still confusion because they don't post a number.

Hi! Recently received an acceptance offer for 2018. I sent in my downpayment, insurance, and clinical school preference, but I was wondering if anyone had received an offer but not a CoQ; also, if anyone had been waitlisted, did they let you know before you sent in your downpayment or after? Just trying to gauge where I actually stand as far as having a seat in the class :).
Did you receive your CoE yet? I'm also trying to figure out if I'm on the waitlist or if I should be expecting my CoE? I sent in my deposit and everything two days after getting my acceptance!

Did you receive your CoE yet? I'm also trying to figure out if I'm on the waitlist or if I should be expecting my CoE? I sent in my deposit and everything two days after getting my acceptance!

COA was just released this week: $102,000 for 2018

So does anyone know if the minimum GPA is 2.7 or 3.0? It says B average..5/7 in AUS scale..which USyd converts to 2.7..

So does anyone know if the minimum GPA is 2.7 or 3.0? It says B average..5/7 in AUS scale..which USyd converts to 2.7..

They'll convert to Australian scale, I'm pretty sure, which is roughly a 2.85 on the typical USA 4.0 GPA scale. GPA is pretty much a hurdle, and you'll be fine as long as you apply early.

MCAT is mainly what they look at for internationals/Ochsner cohort (but internationals don't have an interview like prospective Ochsners do, as far as I know).

You got an answer above too. Did you not like that answer?

They'll convert to Australian scale, I'm pretty sure, which is roughly a 2.85 on the typical USA 4.0 GPA scale. GPA is pretty much a hurdle, and you'll be fine as long as you apply early.

MCAT is mainly what they look at for internationals/Ochsner cohort (but internationals don't have an interview like prospective Ochsners do, as far as I know).

You got an answer above too. Did you not like that answer?

What do you mean did I not like that answer? That answer was "B average," I was looking for a number, which you provided, so thank you. Hopefully that's accurate! Does applying in May still count as early? For the Jan 2019 class.

Lol its gotta be canadian dollars or something. It says 67k tuition for 2018 on its website..no way there was that big of a jump
67,000 is the tuition posted. 102,000 I'm assuming is the Total Cost of Attendance which should vary from person to person

35k seems high for that. Most US private IVY's quote there COA approx. 15k over tuition max. I guess transportation will be more expensive but not by that much

I was halfway serious about the canadian dollars cause 67k USD is about 85k canadian dollars, at which 102k COA would make much more sense lol

I was halfway serious about the canadian dollars cause 67k USD is about 85k canadian dollars, at which 102k COA would make much more sense lol
Eh idk, most schools I have seen range their COA about 20-30k over Tuition

Eh idk, most schools I have seen range their COA about 20-30k over Tuition
Do any current students mind sharing what there total COA came out to be for a given year

Hi Everyone! Just a few questions here for people who have already applied. How strict is the MCAT requirement? Like is it a cut off? I know it says as long as you meet all the requirements and pass the interview you can a rolling acceptance so is it an automatic rejection if you don't meet it? And the video on their website says 499 but the website page says 502..can anyone confirm either one?
(I've tried contacting mededpath and I can never seem to get a hold of them)

Also, when would it be best to apply for February 2019? I am taking my Mcats in a few weeks so I was planning on sending the app in once I received those scores. If you have any more tips anything would be appreciated :)

Hi Everyone! Just a few questions here for people who have already applied. How strict is the MCAT requirement? Like is it a cut off? I know it says as long as you meet all the requirements and pass the interview you can a rolling acceptance so is it an automatic rejection if you don't meet it? And the video on their website says 499 but the website page says 502..can anyone confirm either one?
(I've tried contacting mededpath and I can never seem to get a hold of them)

Also, when would it be best to apply for February 2019? I am taking my Mcats in a few weeks so I was planning on sending the app in once I received those scores. If you have any more tips anything would be appreciated :)

Probably 502 minimum. I don't think they really accept people below like a 508 though. They're getting pretty competitive and I think the only thing they do compromise on is GPA

Probably 502 minimum. I don't think they really accept people below like a 508 though. They're getting pretty competitive and I think the only thing they do compromise on is GPA

This is not true. The website clearly states that if you get a 502 you are granted an interview (which is more a formality). If you get below a 502 then they might interview you if they can't fill their class with people who scored above 502.

@Adrenaline816 send your app in as soon as you get your MCATs in. Should be pretty early in the cycle. It's rolling so the earlier the better.

This is not true. The website clearly states that if you get a 502 you are granted an interview (which is more a formality). If you get below a 502 then they might interview you if they can't fill their class with people who scored above 502.

@Adrenaline816 send your app in as soon as you get your MCATs in. Should be pretty early in the cycle. It's rolling so the earlier the better.

Umm it literally says directly on the admissions page of their website a 502 is a requirement to apply.

Requirements for Admission
U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency is required.

The Minimum Requirements to apply for February 2018 entry are:

1. Minimum MCAT score of 502 (no section minimum) or 28 (at least 8 in each section) taken in one sitting

3. B average

Students who pass their interview and meet the above requirements with MCAT scores of 502/28 or greater, will receive offers on a rolling basis.

Umm it literally says directly on the admissions page of their website a 502 is a requirement to apply.

Requirements for Admission
U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency is required.

The Minimum Requirements to apply for February 2018 entry are:

3. B average

Um Yea, that part is true. What I don't see anywhere is that they only accept people with a 508 or above like you stated. You are granted an interview with a 502, if you pass the interview you get accepted because its rolling admission until the class is full.

Um Yea, that part is true. What I don't see anywhere is that they only accept people with a 508 or above like you stated. You are granted an interview with a 502, if you pass the interview you get accepted because its rolling admission until the class is full.

I said "they don't really accept people far below a 508." That's from talking to UQ-O students as well as one of their admission counselors. Though you are eligible to apply with a 502, their average is about a 507, and per the admission counselor "very, very few people will be considered below a 508."

The website clearly states that if you get a 502 you are granted an interview (which is more a formality).

You said this^. A simple check on the website proves that false. It's better to not give advice than give inaccurate information.

Last edited:
"
Announcements
Admissions requirements for 2019 have not yet been confirmed. The average scores for the 2018 cohort are a 507 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. The website will be updated and an email notification will be sent out once requirements are finalized for 2019 entry"

From mededpath's webpage for 2019 cohort.