UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance as well! I can't believe it - I never thought I'd get into medschool with my stats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello future classmates!
Just wondering, when will you be flying into Brisbane?!
Also, which federal loan are you applying for?

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted today as well =) was a nice surprise to see the email after a long day of scribing!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who got accepted! You'll have a blast

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I'm just now applying for the feb 2018 incoming class with a 508 mcat and 3.4 gpa. Can anyone help me figure out if I even have a shot at this point?

Hi everyone! I'm just now applying for the feb 2018 incoming class with a 508 mcat and 3.4 gpa. Can anyone help me figure out if I even have a shot at this point?

Your stats are great, and well above average. The only thing holding you back is whether there are still places. It's first come first serve so it just depends on that. It is getting late in the cycle, so I would check with mededpath and see how many spaces are left.

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are great, and well above average. The only thing holding you back is whether there are still places. It's first come first serve so it just depends on that. It is getting late in the cycle, so I would check with mededpath and see how many spaces are left.
Thank you so much for responding, I think my best bet at this point is to just send in my application tomorrow and see if they have any open spots. it looks like there are still interview dates in September and October so i can give it a try. if not i will just reapply next year as long as they accept re-applicants.
Also, thanks for the encouragement!

Thank you so much for responding, I think my best bet at this point is to just send in my application tomorrow and see if they have any open spots. it looks like there are still interview dates in September and October so i can give it a try. if not i will just reapply next year as long as they accept re-applicants.
Also, thanks for the encouragement!

Yea, worst comes to worst they put you in the pile for next year and you get an early acceptance next year. Plus it gives you an extra year to maybe wait on U.S. schools if you are doing that / stockpile some cash while working.

Yea, worst comes to worst they put you in the pile for next year and you get an early acceptance next year. Plus it gives you an extra year to maybe wait on U.S. schools if you are doing that / stockpile some cash while working.
exactly. thanks again for the input. I haven't read all the posts so I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but are you a currently in the program?

exactly. thanks again for the input. I haven't read all the posts so I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but are you a currently in the program?

Yes. See my posting history for more specific things I've written here.

Definitely read through the thread from the beginning - lots of good points addressed in it that will help you make a final decision. With your stats, I'm sure you have at least a couple options!

Hey guys! My first post here on SDN and I created an account just to get some possible input about UQ Ochsner. I have my interview next week in NOLA and am quite nervous about it, to be frank. I've read previous posts about the actual interview in this thread, and I realize that they may conversational or non-conversational if the interviewers stick to their protocol. I was hoping if you guys could share some advice on how to best prepare for either case. I do have several examples ready for each of the domains and am planning on doing some mock interviews, but if you guys found any particular resources helpful in preparing for your interview day, I would greatly appreciate if you could share them or forward them to me through private message. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! My first post here on SDN and I created an account just to get some possible input about UQ Ochsner. I have my interview next week in NOLA and am quite nervous about it, to be frank. I've read previous posts about the actual interview in this thread, and I realize that they may conversational or non-conversational if the interviewers stick to their protocol. I was hoping if you guys could share some advice on how to best prepare for either case. I do have several examples ready for each of the domains and am planning on doing some mock interviews, but if you guys found any particular resources helpful in preparing for your interview day, I would greatly appreciate if you could share them or forward them to me through private message. Thanks in advance!

You're doing everything I did beforehand. Thought up examples from each domain and made sure to practice a ton with people asking me questions. No specific resources, maybe try and google common questions asked on med school interviews or something and practice answering them. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest thing to think about with med school interviews is that the interviewer isn't out to get you. The questions are there to bring out who you are as a person. Sure you can practice that, but in the end of the day, a good interviewer is going to know who you are (unless you are Hannibal Lecter) based on how you communicate.

How often do we have exams in this program? Are they structured as in just midterms and finals, or do we have a test every week or two (like some other med schools do)?

How often do we have exams in this program? Are they structured as in just midterms and finals, or do we have a test every week or two (like some other med schools do)?
You get a midsem and a final in years 1 and 2. For your rotations you get: end of semester exams, OSCEs, and presentations depending on the rotation.

that you don't think the rules apply to you; none of these are particularly desirable attributes.

Taking step 1 before 3rd year is not currently a rule at UQ-O, it is a suggestion.

EDIT: I was unaware of the new rule at the time of this post. The entering class of 2017 is in fact the first cohort that will be required to sit the exam before starting clinical rotations.

Last edited:
Taking step 1 before 3rd year is not currently a rule at UQ-O, it is a suggestion.
Which, as I have said over and over again is the problem. It's can't be a rule for whatever arcane bureaucratic reasons the SOM has laid out. Regardless of whether it is a formal rule it is a clearly delineated expectation. Failure to meet that expectation, and not taking step 1 by year 3 is a failure of that particular student. Personally, professionally, morally, whatever kind of adjective modifies it that student is still in some way a failure and will be treated as such. There are administrative punishments that come along with it. So while you can be cute and say "well it isn't a rule" and ignore what you are told, but the administration and residents like myself who came through the program view you as someone who has failed to meet expectations.

It's not a "rule" to preround on your patients. It's not a "rule" to read up on a surgery before scrubbing in. Don't do anything that isn't a hard and fast formalized "rule" and see how well that works out for you.

Regardless of whether it is a formal rule it is a clearly delineated expectation. Failure to meet that expectation, and not taking step 1 by year 3 is a failure of that particular student.
Say what? If it's not a rule, then there's no grounds whatsoever to punish the student. Punishment is for breaking rules, not for being consistent with the lack of a rule that you or someone else has deemed sufficiently important to be a rule.

This is nuts. A whole discussion on whether students should be shamed by their school for not taking the USMLE by a particular point in time, and IT'S NOT EVEN A RULE??

Is it a 'suggestion' or an 'expectation', and what is the difference absent a rule?

There are much better reasons for, say, making sure you're familiar with a surgical procedure (maybe by pre-reading, but it's not the pre-reading per se that's expected), than having to take a particular exam at a particular point in your training. Being prepared for the case at hand (whether by exam or not) is the expectation, independent of an arbitrary statement made by a school.

Given that other schools, as mentioned, don't require taking Step 1 before 3rd year, and the timing is fairly arbitrary, it makes no sense to claim that Ochsner students have some obligation to do so, absent any actual RULE.

Last edited:
Say what? If it's not a rule, then there's no grounds whatsoever to punish the student. Punishment is for breaking rules, not for being consistent with the lack of a rule that you or someone else has deemed sufficiently important to be a rule.

This is nuts. A whole discussion on whether students should be shamed by their school for not taking the USMLE by a particular point in time, and IT'S NOT EVEN A RULE??

Is it a 'suggestion' or an 'expectation', and what is the difference absent a rule?

There are much better reasons for, say, making sure you're familiar with a surgical procedure (maybe by pre-reading, but it's not the pre-reading per se that's expected), than having to take a particular exam at a particular point in your training. Being prepared for the case at hand (whether by exam or not) is the expectation, independent of an arbitrary statement made by a school.

Given that other schools, as mentioned, don't require taking Step 1 before 3rd year, and the timing is fairly arbitrary, it makes no sense to claim that Ochsner students have some obligation to do so, absent any actual RULE.

I see your point, but they don't make it a surprise that they expect us to take Step 1 before starting rotations 3rd year. We're told during the application process what the deal is, we were told when the Ochsner administration came to Brisbane during orientation Year 1, and we've been told in e-mails, and we were told when our Society heads were in Brisbane, and we were told by visiting 4th years on their return rotations in Australia that there's just no time to study during rotations and it's best to take Step 1 before starting them. So, in short, it's definitely not a surprise and everyone should be well aware of the expectation. For anyone that delays, they did mention the statistics they have show that delaying doesn't usually result in meaningful improvement in score like students tend to think it will.

I do think they are moving towards making it a requirement. I know several people have asked about why can't we push back the start of rotation 1 to have extra study time, and apparently Ochsner has brought up that and several other possibilities to UQ and they've all been summarily shot down. I remember hearing they were requiring it of the year above my class (and then didn't enforce anything since a proportion of class of 2018 didn't take it by the time rotations started), and I'm sure the same thing will happen with my class where a chunk of people won't get it done by the time orientation rolls around in January. Life happens.

For anyone that delays, they did mention the statistics they have show that delaying doesn't usually result in meaningful improvement in score like students tend to think it will.
Sounds like a false comparison to me. I'm not sure what 'meaningful improvement' would look like, since they wouldn't have earlier scores for the self-selected students who waited -- their scores could have been significantly lower HAD THEY NOT waited. In the end though, sounds like scores were comparable.

I still haven't seen anything beyond recommendations/advice to take USMLE at a particular time, based at best on what are essentially stats (of opinion of what's good/best for many/most students), which as everyone knows doesn't imply any particular outcome for any (self-selected) *individual*. Indeed, arguments implying that outcome would be worse for delaying (e.g., that there's no time to study for Step 1 after the recommended time) sound specious when it appears the stats of those taking the exam later are comparable. I'd think that if studying/taking later was negatively affecting assessments during the clinical rotations, then *those* would have been the stats shared.

But if the 'issue' is how (science-) prepared a student is before they're put onto Ochsner wards, independent of how well they do in their clinical assessments(!), I'd have thought satisfactory completion of UQ Year 1+2 assessments would be the pertinent criteria (as they are for all of Australia). But jumping through hoops for the sake of jumping through hoops isn't a sound argument IMO.

Last edited:
I recently got accepted to UQ Ochsner. Very thrilled about it and committed to attending. I was looking into several financial resources to fund my education. I came across UQ website where I saw that US Federal Stafford Loans are limited to $138,500 for their 'Graduate & Professional Students'.

Is this correct or is there an exception for medical students? On AAMC website, the limit was stated to be $224,000.

If someone could shine some light on this, that would be awesome. Sorry I couldn't post the links to those pages, SDN restricted me due to my account being very new. Thanks in advance!

I recently got accepted to UQ Ochsner. Very thrilled about it and committed to attending. I was looking into several financial resources to fund my education. I came across UQ website where I saw that US Federal Stafford Loans are limited to $138,500 for their 'Graduate & Professional Students'.

Is this correct or is there an exception for medical students? On AAMC website, the limit was stated to be $224,000.

If someone could shine some light on this, that would be awesome. Sorry I couldn't post the links to those pages, SDN restricted me due to my account being very new. Thanks in advance!

Hey so I am also applying for my student loans right now. The way that webpage is set up for graduate students is kinda confusing and im not sure that it is accurate. From what I gathered its 138k student loans available towards a total of 4 years through the grad stafford unsub loans program. Then the additional GRAD PLUS loans can help pay the rest of living and tuition expenses (most likely the bulk of student loans). Im guessing this program would easily rack up a total of 400k in student debt by the end of 4 years.

I also looked up this:
stafford loans = 6% interest rate for 2017-2018
grad PLUS loans = 7% interest rate for 2017-2018

Please let me know if I am incorrect. Any current students please feel free to elaborate on the process. I applied to this program in hopes that I can fully pay for my education through loans as my family cannot help me much.

Yes. You take out the unsubsidized first if you have any left. Then the rest is grad+.

100k expenses/year while at UQ
90k expenses/year while at Ochsner

= ~380k of debt through stafford & GRAD+ loans

is this doable if you dont have anyone helping you pay back your debt? I mean seems pretty insane to take that much debt on no matter who you are.

Can anyone in the program talk about how they plan to payoff the massive loans (or any graduate of the program). I'm really really interested in UQ-Ochsner but the amount of debt one must go into to go here is just so scary

It is absolutely a rule and not merely a suggestion to sit Step 1 prior to moving on to Phase 2. Prior to 2017 it was a suggestion. Starting in 2017 the UQ-O implemented “sit to progress” where every student must attempt Step 1 prior to being allowed to start rotations. Refer to the Doctor of Medicine (Ochsner) Program Rule 4.6(2) found at http://www.uq.edu.au/student/ProgramRules2017/2017-Doctor-of-Medicine-5579.pdf

It is absolutely a rule and not merely a suggestion to sit Step 1 prior to moving on to Phase 2. Prior to 2017 it was a suggestion. Starting in 2017 the UQ-O implemented “sit to progress” where every student must attempt Step 1 prior to being allowed to start rotations. Refer to the Doctor of Medicine (Ochsner) Program Rule 4.6(2) found at http://www.uq.edu.au/student/ProgramRules2017/2017-Doctor-of-Medicine-5579.pdf
Finally!

Can anyone in the program talk about how they plan to payoff the massive loans (or any graduate of the program). I'm really really interested in UQ-Ochsner but the amount of debt one must go into to go here is just so scary

I'm basically just praying that the PSLF option that I"ve been doing since graduation and is in all of my loan contracts will still be valid. Who knows if that's going to be around in a year, and who knows if the government will actually honor their contractual obligations. The first round of people who signed on are eligible for forgiveness sometime this month so we will see how it pans out.

Finally!

I'm basically just praying that the PSLF option that I"ve been doing since graduation and is in all of my loan contracts will still be valid. Who knows if that's going to be around in a year, and who knows if the government will actually honor their contractual obligations. The first round of people who signed on are eligible for forgiveness sometime this month so we will see how it pans out.
Wow that would be devastating. Anybody else want to offer their insight?

It is but it isn’t enforceable because it’s not per UQ it’s UQO. Step is a professional exam and not part of the UQ reqs. Since technically we fall under UQ med they can’t actually prevent progress. They punish students in other ways like not allowing away rotations, not allowing them to do research ( not sure how that is enforced) and not allowing them into OMSA.

Not being able to do research/ participate in OMSA is not punishment since there is no way you could do anything until you take step1 anyways. Nor could you do an away rotation since the exam requires a dedicated 4-6 weeks of unopposed free time before taking the real deal so you'd have to use that break before year 4 to study and sit instead of doing your away rotation. Also it would not make any sense to do an away since (a) you wouldn't know what specialty you can apply for until you get a step 1 score, (b) it's hard setting up an away, places have to approve you which they probably won't without a step 1 score & (c) If you're going for a specialty that traditionally requires doing aways (surgery, plastics, etc...) then you need to take step 1 before year 3 starts anyways or you won't be on track to be ready for the match.

The only punishment is the possibility of being treated unfairly on the wards (i.e. having a stigma attached to you as someone who doesn't care). However, there have been plenty of students who have taken it before year 4 and scored and matched well.

Not being able to do research/ participate in OMSA is not punishment since there is no way you could do anything until you take step1 anyways. Nor could you do an away rotation since the exam requires a dedicated 4-6 weeks of unopposed free time before taking the real deal so you'd have to use that break before year 4 to study and sit instead of doing your away rotation. Also it would not make any sense to do an away since (a) you wouldn't know what specialty you can apply for until you get a step 1 score, (b) it's hard setting up an away, places have to approve you which they probably won't without a step 1 score & (c) If you're going for a specialty that traditionally requires doing aways (surgery, plastics, etc...) then you need to take step 1 before year 3 starts anyways or you won't be on track to be ready for the match.

The only punishment is the possibility of being treated unfairly on the wards (i.e. having a stigma attached to you as someone who doesn't care). However, there have been plenty of students who have taken it before year 4 and scored and matched well.
There are 52 weeks in the year. That's not how away rotations work. OMSA doesn't take that much time up. I agree that students have taken it later than the break between MS2 and MS3 but unless there's a good reason, it's not a good idea.

There are 52 weeks in the year. That's not how away rotations work. OMSA doesn't take that much time up. I agree that students have taken it later than the break between MS2 and MS3 but unless there's a good reason, it's not a good idea.

To be clear I do not think that it is a good idea either to delay step1. The new req to sit it before phase 2 starts will be a good thing.

To current student, how is this years interview cycle treating UQO students, are they getting any luck with some of the competitive specialty like surg, ortho, urology?
How many interviews are some getting?

Finally!

Do you mind sharing if you work for the government or for a non-profit? You're in your residency? PSLF sounds so dreamy

Hi everyone! I cannot wait for year1 to start and to meet some of you!

Anyone know loan distribution timelines? I know I'm too eager but I really want to buy my flight and USMLE prep stuff!

Hi everyone! I cannot wait for year1 to start and to meet some of you!

Anyone know loan distribution timelines? I know I'm too eager but I really want to buy my flight and USMLE prep stuff!
If they don't screw up, its always on Tuesday/Wednesday the first week of each semester/rotation.

Hi everyone! I need your opinion on whether I should do the in person interview or over skype? Do you guys think it makes an actual difference? Would it look better to go in person?

Hi everyone! I need your opinion on whether I should do the in person interview or over skype? Do you guys think it makes an actual difference? Would it look better to go in person?
They say they aren't biased towards one or the other, so it shouldn't make a difference. For the record, I did the skype interview and got in so I don't see anything wrong with doing it over skype haha.

Has anyone else applied for the visa already? Just wondering, does everybody have to do the immigration health exam through a panel physician or are we "randomly selected"?

Has anyone else applied for the visa already? Just wondering, does everybody have to do the immigration health exam through a panel physician or are we "randomly selected"?

You have to do the immigration health exam through a panel physician approved by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for your visa to be approved.

To current student, how is this years interview cycle treating UQO students, are they getting any luck with some of the competitive specialty like surg, ortho, urology?
How many interviews are some getting?

You have to do the immigration health exam through a panel physician approved by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for your visa to be approved.
Dang. I don't think my insurance will cover this kind of exam... Ugh, more fees.

Clinical Science has a mid-semester exam and a final. The final consists of a theory exam and a practical (anatomy spotter) exam which are taken on separate days. Ethics had one final and a project which is due earlier. Health, Society and Research (HSR) had 2 projects and 2 quizzes dues throughout this semester. On top of that there is clinical coaching (CC) with pass/fail mock patient examinations throughout the semester. HSR exam breakdown changed from last semester. Clinical Science, Ethics and CC have been pretty much the same with the exception of UQ moving to a digital exam software instead of paper exams.

100k expenses/year while at UQ
90k expenses/year while at Ochsner

= ~380k of debt through stafford & GRAD+ loans

is this doable if you dont have anyone helping you pay back your debt? I mean seems pretty insane to take that much debt on no matter who you are.

Hopefully PSLF will still be around but I'm not counting on it. Income-based repayment will enable reasonable payments scaled to your income during residency. You need to apply for this.

If this program starts in February, when does it end exactly - and how does that fit in with starting residencies?

I recently received my COE, and on it, I noticed that the total tuition listed as $295,094 AUD (~$229K USD with the current currency exchange rate). However, the tuition is listed as $67K USD per year for the 2018 cohort on MEDEDPATH, which totals to $268K USD after four years. There is obviously a big difference between $229K and $268K, so do you guys know which number is the amount we can anticipate to owe in tuition fees after 4 years at UQ-Ochsner? I have contacted MEDEDPATH about this and am waiting to hear back from them.

I recently received my COE, and on it, I noticed that the total tuition listed as $295,094 AUD (~$229K USD with the current currency exchange rate). However, the tuition is listed as $67K USD per year for the 2018 cohort on MEDEDPATH, which totals to $268K USD after four years. There is obviously a big difference between $229K and $268K, so do you guys know which number is the amount we can anticipate to owe in tuition fees after 4 years at UQ-Ochsner? I have contacted MEDEDPATH about this and am waiting to hear back from them.

Go by the mededpath listed tuition. 67K a year sounds right. Thats what we pay.