UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would avoid this program. The faculty is extremely unprofessional and ruthless. The school is run like a business and they give preference to those who already have high enough stats to get into med school. However, if you have the money, then go ahead and join this program.

Members don't see this ad.

My app has been marked as incomplete, but with no way to view outstanding items or to-do list. When I called, Sarah Sturm told me this meant it was just being reviewed. It's been like this for close to two weeks. Anybody else encounter this? I just wanna make sure everything is going through correctly.

I'm having the same problem... I've submitted about a month ago and my status still says incomplete...

This program will also isolate your most recent 60 hours and look at that so keep that in mind as well. Just about everyone in my class applied while in the program, this is highly encouraged because on TMDSAS you have the option to select that you are "in a special program" and further select UNTHSC MEDSCI

Is it better to have a higher GPA for your last 60 hours than your overall in regards to acceptance into this program? My overall is 3.3 and my last 60 hrs is around a 3.65

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it better to have a higher GPA for your last 60 hours than your overall in regards to acceptance into this program? My overall is 3.3 and my last 60 hrs is around a 3.65
I don't mean to be rude... but what do you think? Of course it is better to have a higher GPA (like you have) in your last 60 hours if your overall GPA isn't something like a 3.7-3.9.

good luck

I would avoid this program. The faculty is extremely unprofessional and ruthless. The school is run like a business and they give preference to those who already have high enough stats to get into med school. However, if you have the money, then go ahead and join this program.

HAHA, you bitter or something? this program was amazing and was probably the deciding factor in my med school acceptance and has been an ENORMOUS benefit thus far. My #'s prior to this program would not have awarded any interviews...

How can you say the faculty is unprofessional/ruthless? the faculty was awesome, maybe with the exception of 2 or 3 professors but who cares? They made the courses seem like cake compared to med school... multiple curves, bonus points, etc. Sorry it didn't work for you, thats probably your own fault, should have worked harder?

by the way its just about the cheapest master's degree in the country... some "business" model lol

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mean to be rude... but what do you think? Of course it is better to have a higher GPA (like you have) in your last 60 hours if your overall GPA isn't something like a 3.7-3.9.

good luck

HAHA, you bitter or something? this program was amazing and was probably the deciding factor in my med school acceptance and has been an ENORMOUS benefit thus far. My #'s prior to this program would not have awarded any interviews...

How can you say the faculty is unprofessional/ruthless? the faculty was awesome, maybe with the exception of 2 or 3 professors but who cares? They made the courses seem like cake compared to med school... multiple curves, bonus points, etc. Sorry it didn't work for you, thats probably your own fault, should have worked harder?

by the way its just about the cheapest master's degree in the country... some "business" model lol

Just another typical med student who mocks and attacks others haha. What did you say in your interview? "I want to help people but I also enjoy making fun of them."

good luck

I think you do mean to be rude to be honest. But to explain the reasoning behind my question further so you can reconsider your comment, med schools look favorably at upward trends. And since I have an upward trend, I figured maybe this program wouldn't be a good fit because of that reason. No hard feelings, but don't start a comment with "I don't mean to be rude" and then follow up with a rude comment. Thanks.

This program could actually increase your upward trend even more. Also, on TMDSAS you will have separate undergrad GPA, graduate GPA, and cumulative GPA. In my opinion, stellar performance at MedSci will reflect very well on your app and really show that you can perform @ a higher level than undergrad. Sorry to come across as rude, hope this info helped. overall its a great program that can really help a lot of ppl get where they want to be if they put in the work.

I think you do mean to be rude to be honest. But to explain the reasoning behind my question further so you can reconsider your comment, med schools look favorably at upward trends. And since I have an upward trend, I figured maybe this program wouldn't be a good fit because of that reason. No hard feelings, but don't start a comment with "I don't mean to be rude" and then follow up with a rude comment. Thanks.

This program could actually increase your upward trend even more. Also, on TMDSAS you will have separate undergrad GPA, graduate GPA, and cumulative GPA. In my opinion, stellar performance at MedSci will reflect very well on your app and really show that you can perform @ a higher level than undergrad. Sorry to come across as rude, hope this info helped. overall its a great program that can really help a lot of ppl get where they want to be if they put in the work.

Thanks!

Hey guys, you should be able to view the TO DO list now. It'll be in the middle of your screen after you log in

Yo, I'm a current med sci and a 3rd time applicant who finally got in this year into a Texas school. If you have any questions, need help reading over anything (applications to this program or medical school essays), or just need someone to talk to and tell you that you should never give up on your dreams, I'm here for you. I will tell you things truthfully about the program (like what kind of applicants I've seen be successful in it and what kinds I've seen that haven't), but I am only here to help and would never put anyone down. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Yo, I'm a current med sci and a 3rd time applicant who finally got in this year into a Texas school. If you have any questions, need help reading over anything (applications to this program or medical school essays), or just need someone to talk to and tell you that you should never give up on your dreams, I'm here for you. I will tell you things truthfully about the program (like what kind of applicants I've seen be successful in it and what kinds I've seen that haven't), but I am only here to help and would never put anyone down. Good luck!
Congrats on your acceptance!!!! You deserved it! I admire your hard work and dedication.

Since you mentioned it, what kind of applicants you've seen are successful and what kind of applicants are not?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hello, I idolize you and hopefully will be in the same position as you come this time next year. I have a couple questions.

First a little background on my application. I've applied to med school twice, got one interview the first time around, and none this round. I graduated from undergrad with a BS Biochemistry and Minor Bio cGPA 3.37 and sGPA 3.65 and MCAT score of 26. During my undergraduate I did some chemical research with a publication, and two volunteer medical missions to underserved communities. Since graduating i've tried to strengthen my application. Spent 5 months doing medical research at Mayo Clinic with a publication, hopefully another one coming soon. Also for the past two years working full-time at as a ED medical scribe.

I fell my weaknesses lie in my GPA, and MCAT. I am scheduled to take the MCAT again in April, been studying for the past 3 months. I applied to this program thinking it would be best to increase my GPA a little more.

Do you think I have the pre-requisites to get into this program?

If I don't get into this program, what other things have you heard help strengthen applications?

Congrats on your acceptance!!!! You deserved it! I admire your hard work and dedication.

Since you mentioned it, what kind of applicants you've seen are successful and what kind of applicants are not?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

The students that I have seen be successful are the ones that have a small thing wrong with their application. Maybe a bad MCAT score or a slightly below average accepted undergraduate GPA. The students that need just that little boost to their applications are the ones I have seen benefit the most.

On the other hand, this program is not the "saving grace" for an application that needs a lot of work. I've seen a lot of students that have stellar MCAT scores yet a far below average uGPA not get many interviews at all during this cycle due to more than likely being weeded out by a computer (as speculation so sees it). I've also seen students with decent GPAs and bad MCAT scores have the same issue. If you do well in the program, such as get a 4.0 or close to it, TCOM will generally grant you an interview but they may wait on your acceptance so you can prove to them academically that you are a correct fit for their school. A couple of students get pulled from the waitlist in the summer months. That being said, it is in no way a bridge program, meaning there is no automatic acceptance.

The cool thing is, a lot of students apply to this program, and they only try to take the ones they believe will be competitive to medical school. If you want to make sure that this program is a good fit for you, talk to an adviser at your college and see if they think it would be a good idea for you to go through this program. There is also a day in the spring that you can come up and hear about the program yourself, I'd check that out if you are interested.

Hope this helped!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I idolize you and hopefully will be in the same position as you come this time next year. I have a couple questions.

First a little background on my application. I've applied to med school twice, got one interview the first time around, and none this round. I graduated from undergrad with a BS Biochemistry and Minor Bio cGPA 3.37 and sGPA 3.65 and MCAT score of 26. During my undergraduate I did some chemical research with a publication, and two volunteer medical missions to underserved communities. Since graduating i've tried to strengthen my application. Spent 5 months doing medical research at Mayo Clinic with a publication, hopefully another one coming soon. Also for the past two years working full-time at as a ED medical scribe.

I fell my weaknesses lie in my GPA, and MCAT. I am scheduled to take the MCAT again in April, been studying for the past 3 months. I applied to this program thinking it would be best to increase my GPA a little more.

If I don't get into this program, what other things have you heard help strengthen applications?

I know you asked @ItsTimeToRanchItUp , but here's my two cents.

There are philosophy majors and political science majors in our class. Don't worry about prerequisites. If you've got the prereqs for med school then you definitely have the prereqs for this program.

This program could be good for your GPA. Like you said, your other weakness is your MCAT. If you do really well on your retake then honestly I think you might have a pretty good shot at getting in somewhere if you just apply early.

I've seen someone with your GPA and a higher MCAT retake get into a Texas school this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users

Sounds like you have a lot of great experience and a super strong drive to become a physician someday, that's extremely admirable. As long as your application responses are spot on, I think you shouldn't have a problem getting into this program.

As @TexasMedic15 said in his reply above, this program could help your GPA out a bit, and since you're taking your MCAT in April, you could apply as early as May/June which is great! If you nailed the MCAT this time around, I could definitely see this program helping you with that little bit you need to get into a school this time around.

Hope this helped!

Anyone else having problems with the online application?

Do Med Sci students work on strengthening their ECs (community service, shadowing, research, etc) while they're enrolled in the program?
@TexasMedic15
@ItsTimeToRanchItUp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi,

I've gotten my bachelor's about 2 yrs ago and have just been working full-time to pay off my loans. My GPA and MCAT are 3.5 and 32 respectively. Unfortunately, I've had no luck getting in (as far as I know...I wish they would update me). Is this a program I could do while working?

Do Med Sci students work on strengthening their ECs (community service, shadowing, research, etc) while they're enrolled in the program?
@TexasMedic15
@ItsTimeToRanchItUp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's solely dependent on the student. Both me and that guy have been involved in extracurriculars this year. Plenty of people find time to squeeze in volunteer hours here and there, but there are also plenty of people who are not involved in anything outside of school. You get out of it what you put into it. You'll find an abundance of volunteer opportunities here if you're wanting to get more involved.

Hi,

I've gotten my bachelor's about 2 yrs ago and have just been working full-time to pay off my loans. My GPA and MCAT are 3.5 and 32 respectively. Unfortunately, I've had no luck getting in (as far as I know...I wish they would update me). Is this a program I could do while working?

It could work if you stay on top of your school work, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's only a one year program and it moves really quickly. In my opinion, it's best just to bite the bullet and pull out loans if necessary. Working will only take away time from studying and having a personal life.

I know of people who've worked while here and have still done well, but it's definitely not the recommended thing to do. You end up stretching yourself pretty thin. I also know of those who've worked while here and have done absolutely poorly in the program. At the end of the day, it's up to you to gauge how worth it it will be to work while in grad school.

It could work if you stay on top of your school work, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's only a one year program and it moves really quickly. In my opinion, it's best just to bite the bullet and pull out loans if necessary. Working will only take away time from studying and having a personal life.

I know of people who've worked while here and have still done well, but it's definitely not the recommended thing to do. You end up stretching yourself pretty thin. I also know of those who've worked while here and have done absolutely poorly in the program. At the end of the day, it's up to you to gauge how worth it it will be to work while in grad school.

Thank you for your reply. I'm very hesitant to take out a loan since I'm not sure I could risk it and not into medical school.

Do you or anyone know the cost of the program for a Texas resident?

Thank you for your reply. I'm very hesitant to take out a loan since I'm not sure I could risk it and not into medical school.

Do you or anyone know the cost of the program for a Texas resident?

I want to say it was in the ballpark of $20,000 including living expenses for the year. I know tuition was like $7-8,000 for in-state residents.

I had the same concerns as well, but you have to look at it like this: it's a $20,000 bet on yourself. If you think you can succeed, then bite the financial bullet, ace the program, and you'll have set yourself up nicely for medical school. But, like most things, nothing is a given, so definitely weigh your options. For me, this gives me the best chance at getting in to medical school, so it's worth the cost.

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure exactly where I read it, but I thought I read that it's okay for our letters of recommendation to be the exact same ones for our medical school app? Or should the writers switch the wording around to fit the program?

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure exactly where I read it, but I thought I read that it's okay for our letters of recommendation to be the exact same ones for our medical school app? Or should the writers switch the wording around to fit the program?

Yes, you can use your med school recommendation letters. Lot of people here did just that.

I want to say it was in the ballpark of $20,000 including living expenses for the year. I know tuition was like $7-8,000 for in-state residents.

I had the same concerns as well, but you have to look at it like this: it's a $20,000 bet on yourself. If you think you can succeed, then bite the financial bullet, ace the program, and you'll have set yourself up nicely for medical school. But, like most things, nothing is a given, so definitely weigh your options. For me, this gives me the best chance at getting in to medical school, so it's worth the cost.

Exactly this. Just gonna go ahead and put this out there, but there have been people who have had to drop out of this program because they couldn't manage to work and do school at the same time. For a program that's only a year long, it's not worth it to find work. Doing well in this program can only help you and doing poorly in this program can only hurt you. Think long and hard before finding work.

Does anyone know how to upload DAT scores? On the ADA website I can only find the option to send scores directly to schools, but UNTHSC is not an option

will they not look at your app until all of the supporting doc (i.e. transcripts, LoRs) are in?

will they not look at your app until all of the supporting doc (i.e. transcripts, LoRs) are in?

So I spoke to the admissions office not too long ago to make sure all my stuff got there. From what I understand, when you submit the application and pay the fee it reserves your spot for processing. So it basically holds your place in line for them to review your stuff. I submitted officially on February 2nd, and from what the lady told me, my application should be processed sometime next week (meaning the checklist will appear). Obviously it would be best to get everything done all at once, but there's a few weeks between submission and processing to get all your supporting documents in so you don't risk delaying your application review. Again, this is all anecdotal and just my interpretation of what I was told. Your best bet is to call the admissions office if you have any questions.

Does anyone know how to upload DAT scores? On the ADA website I can only find the option to send scores directly to schools, but UNTHSC is not an option

I know for the MCAT, you just take a screenshot and submit it. Not sure if the DAT works the same way.

They will not.
I had a transcript sent to a wrong building and so I had to submit my transcript again and even though I submitted my application a month before, they said they could not look at it until all documents were in their hands.

How long should my "essay" answers be? I see that 800 words max, but these questions do not necessarily need that long of an answer...

How long should my "essay" answers be? I see that 800 words max, but these questions do not necessarily need that long of an answer...

So you're gonna hate this answer, but essays should be as long as they need to be to get the point across. I know, I know, that's totally nonspecific and unhelpful, but that's just the nature of essay writing. Obviously the first prompt isn't gonna need an essay. For me, it was a few sentences explaining my health career goals. The other essays were closer to the 500-800 word variety, but that's because I had a lot to say. Your case may be different. If you feel like your essay isn't long enough, then it may not be. Try to unpack some of your ideas more. If you feel like you're repeating yourself or your essay is long but doesn't really say anything, go back and see where you went of track and start editing out some stuff.

Can you have another letter of recommendation sent in after you've submitted your application?

Is it necessary/recommended to submit a personal statement? I read in previous threads about it, but I did not see anywhere on the application or website about a personal statement.

Hi all, quick question!

I'm a Texas resident about to graduate from undergrad, current GPA is 3.22, but upon graduation it will probably be a 3.25. I took the MCAT and scored a 514 (91%ile).
I know that is pretty limited information about myself, but with my GPA and MCAT, will this program help me get into MD school? I am applying for the Fall of 2017 cycle so I will have a year off regardless.
Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any other questions feel free to ask, thanks!

Is it necessary/recommended to submit a personal statement? I read in previous threads about it, but I did not see anywhere on the application or website about a personal statement.

Well it never explicitly asks for a "personal statement," but some of the essay prompts overlap with the personal statement, so you can definitely recycle it if it fits the prompt.

Hi all, quick question!

I'm a Texas resident about to graduate from undergrad, current GPA is 3.22, but upon graduation it will probably be a 3.25. I took the MCAT and scored a 514 (91%ile).
I know that is pretty limited information about myself, but with my GPA and MCAT, will this program help me get into MD school? I am applying for the Fall of 2017 cycle so I will have a year off regardless.
Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any other questions feel free to ask, thanks!

So what is your GPA over the last 60 hours? My personal opinion: as long as your extracurriculars are average or above average, you have a shot, so it's definitely worth applying. How good a shot you have depends on how strong the rest of your application is.

this has got to be the worst possible interface for any system I've ever seen and I currently work in IT...

So what is your GPA over the last 60 hours? My personal opinion: as long as your extracurriculars are average or above average, you have a shot, so it's definitely worth applying. How good a shot you have depends on how strong the rest of your application is.
My GPA over the last 60 hours is in the ball park of a 3.6-3.75, I will definitely be applying to both medical school this cycle and this SMP. I guess my question is not whether or not this program would benefit me, but to what degree would it help me with getting into medical school.

My GPA over the last 60 hours is in the ball park of a 3.6-3.75, I will definitely be applying to both medical school this cycle and this SMP. I guess my question is not whether or not this program would benefit me, but to what degree would it help me with getting into medical school.

So I'm basically in the same boat as you, low GPA and high MCAT. If you plan on applying this cycle, then I would do the program, as it's too late for a DIY post-bacc. Your GPA for the last 60 hours is great, so just focus on getting as much clinical experience as possible (scribing is a great way to do it) and do some volunteer stuff that you find fun/meaningful outside of a clinical setting. You do that and do well in this program, I think you'll be in a great spot to apply this year.

If you plan on applying to this program, do it asap as admissions is on a rolling basis. Good luck!

@TexasMedic15 @ItsTimeToRanchItUp
So I got back my first MCAT scores today. Unfortunately, I only did average on it. I'm contemplating whether or not this program would benefit me, since I read on many threads that SMPs are only for those with low GPAs and a solid MCAT. I have acceptable GPAs (3.5+ for cGPA and sGPA and 3.7+ GPA for last 60 hours)
I also have pretty average ECs. I was a waiter from my sophomore year to graduation (24-26 hours per week). I have 200+ hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering, 50 hours shadowing 4 doctors, and 2 years of research for which I received a grant and a fellowship.

I know I will have to retake the MCAT somewhere down the road. I'm trying to decide if I should take another gap year and devout my time into studying and strengthening ECs or if I should attend UNT if accepted.

Thanks for your time. Your opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
How long has it taken those of your with complete applications for it to show "completed" on the hsc portal?

How long has it taken those of your with complete applications for it to show "completed" on the hsc portal?

I submitted Feb. 3. When I called the admissions office, the lady told me mine should be processed sometime this week. I don't know if that helps answer your question. She gave me an unofficial complete over the phone, since she was able to see if they had received everything.