UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I heard I believe the 2 classes are enough if you can make an A in them, and I heard that med schools (Texas med schools) will "hold your app" to see how you do in the later classes and if your still doing great in them will offer interviews..ESPECIALLY since your MCAT is great and you have solid EC's. I def do not see any downside of this program for your particular situation, and would recommend that you apply!

I am basically in your current situation which is why I am convinced in applying as well.
Although everything I am saying is what I have only heard not experienced myself, but I believe you can really benefit from this program.

Yeah that's basically my thought as well. Not looking forward to filling out ANOTHER application, but such is life. If your situation is like you say, this seems like a good move. Being proactive never hurt. I just know that I don't think I could handle another year not in school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So it's been radio silence this application cycle, and I'm considering applying to this program to help strengthen my application for next year. My gpa is 3.29 and that includes 23 credits of DIY post-bacc (3.83 during that time). DIY post-bacc just doesn't seem practical for a GPA repair since 1) my local university has a very limited course catalog and 2) I'd need 34 credits to get up to a 3.4 and I don't have the time for that since I work full time. I have a 34 MCAT which is my saving grace and my EC's are solid if unspectacular (scribing, community service, college lab work but no publications).

I guess my question is I know many people apply the same summer that they start, meaning you'll only have two classes under your belt by the time you submit apps. Is this enough to convince adcoms that you're on the right path? Is being associate with the program enough to give you a boost? I made the mistake of applying late (August) and would like to have everything in by the end of May next cycle. Anybody with similar experiences?

From what I heard I believe the 2 classes are enough if you can make an A in them, and I heard that med schools (Texas med schools) will "hold your app" to see how you do in the later classes and if your still doing great in them will offer interviews..ESPECIALLY since your MCAT is great and you have solid EC's. I def do not see any downside of this program for your particular situation, and would recommend that you apply!

I am basically in your current situation which is why I am convinced in applying as well.
Although everything I am saying is what I have only heard not experienced myself, but I believe you can really benefit from this program.

This isn't entirely true. Texas schools won't "hold" your app and wait for scores/grades. You don't get special treatment for being in this program, though the students in Med Sci are well recognized. Applying while you're in this program won't put you steps above all the other applicants, but in a sense it does give you a slight advantage in that Texas schools know that you're dedicated to becoming a doctor. When you apply in TMDSAS there's a checkbox you select that shows that you're in the Med Sci program. When admissions committees review your application they can see that. I'll tell you now that there are several people in the program with pretty average to decent stats who still have not gotten interviews yet, or who have only received one/two. It really depends on your particular application. The stronger your application coming into the program, the better your chances are of matriculating to a Texas school directly graduating from here. The weaker your application coming into the program, the less likely you'll be going directly into medical school. With a 34 MCAT though, having two A's in this program might be a good start, but it's not a guarantee that you'll hear anything back at all. Especially when you haven't heard anything back about an interview this cycle. From what I've noticed, the people getting interviews now are the ones that received interviews already in the past but were waitlisted for whatever reason. Not trying to get your hopes down, but you need to approach this realistically.

@HotCheetoChic is correct in her assertion that being in this program can only benefit your application (granted you do well). If you didn't hear anything back about getting an interview this round then you should apply to this program with the expectation that you won't hear anything back during the cycle that you enter. Not saying you won't hear anything back at all, but there's a very real chance that you won't. Apply really early this coming cycle, update TMDSAS with your new grades asap and maybe your luck will change. Who knows?

That said, many students in the program have received and are still attending interviews in Texas. A couple of students have interviewed at out of state MDs too, so don't forget that that's an option as well, unless you're not looking to leave here. And for anyone wondering, several DO schools out of state know about the success of the Med Sci program at UNTHSC as well. If you're really wanting to start med school and don't care about the whole MD/DO and in-state/out-of-state thing, then applying through AACOMAS might be a good option for you.

I have heard mixed remarks about applying to both MD/DO schools during a cycle because the different approach the schools have (or stand for) mostly the DO schools, ..do you know @TexasMedic15 anything about this?

BTW i really appreciate you taking the time to throughly explain all your answers out on this forum it has definitely helped me understand more about the reality of these programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it's fine to use 2X employer letters (both science related)? I graduated awhile ago and it would be easier and more accurate to have my recent employers to do the recommendations

I have heard mixed remarks about applying to both MD/DO schools during a cycle because the different approach the schools have (or stand for) mostly the DO schools, ..do you know @TexasMedic15 anything about this?

BTW i really appreciate you taking the time to throughly explain all your answers out on this forum it has definitely helped me understand more about the reality of these programs.

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer it the best I can anyway. There's nothing wrong with applying both MD/DO during the same cycle. In fact, most Texas applicants are more than likely to apply for both anyway since TCOM is the only DO school in the state. If you're referring to the DO philosophy of the holistic approach and emphasis on prevention, I'll tell you now that MD schools teach that too. Whether you're MD/DO, you're going to inform your patient to improve their lifestyles (better diet & be more active). If you're wondering about whether MD schools know that you're applying to DO schools and whether DO schools know that you're applying to MD schools... well nobody really cares. Seriously. Thousands of people do it every year and get interviews/acceptances at both MD and DO schools. Neither application is very difficult to fill out and are actually very similar. You write a personal statement, list your college courses, list your extracurriculars, research experiences, etc. The biggest difference in applying for both the MD and DO programs is that DO schools will look more favorably upon students with lower GPAs and MCAT scores. No shame in that though. A DO schools is just as much a medical school as an MD school. Medical school is medical school. After four years you get a medical degree and individuals from both institutions are then referred to as "doctors".

Things get more complicated from that point on, but TL;DR: Nothing wrong with applying to both MD and DO schools in one application cycle. A ton of people do it every year so it's not uncommon at all. There's really no difference in approach. Let me know if I didn't understand your question.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't entirely true. Texas schools won't "hold" your app and wait for scores/grades. You don't get special treatment for being in this program, though the students in Med Sci are well recognized. Applying while you're in this program won't put you steps above all the other applicants, but in a sense it does give you a slight advantage in that Texas schools know that you're dedicated to becoming a doctor. When you apply in TMDSAS there's a checkbox you select that shows that you're in the Med Sci program. When admissions committees review your application they can see that. I'll tell you now that there are several people in the program with pretty average to decent stats who still have not gotten interviews yet, or who have only received one/two. It really depends on your particular application. The stronger your application coming into the program, the better your chances are of matriculating to a Texas school directly graduating from here. The weaker your application coming into the program, the less likely you'll be going directly into medical school. With a 34 MCAT though, having two A's in this program might be a good start, but it's not a guarantee that you'll hear anything back at all. Especially when you haven't heard anything back about an interview this cycle. From what I've noticed, the people getting interviews now are the ones that received interviews already in the past but were waitlisted for whatever reason. Not trying to get your hopes down, but you need to approach this realistically.

@HotCheetoChic is correct in her assertion that being in this program can only benefit your application (granted you do well). If you didn't hear anything back about getting an interview this round then you should apply to this program with the expectation that you won't hear anything back during the cycle that you enter. Not saying you won't hear anything back at all, but there's a very real chance that you won't. Apply really early this coming cycle, update TMDSAS with your new grades asap and maybe your luck will change. Who knows?

That said, many students in the program have received and are still attending interviews in Texas. A couple of students have interviewed at out of state MDs too, so don't forget that that's an option as well, unless you're not looking to leave here. And for anyone wondering, several DO schools out of state know about the success of the Med Sci program at UNTHSC as well. If you're really wanting to start med school and don't care about the whole MD/DO and in-state/out-of-state thing, then applying through AACOMAS might be a good option for you.

Yeah this makes sense. Obviously there are no guarantees, but it seems from what you're saying, this only stands to benefit me, if not this next cycle, then the one after it. It's a tough pill to swallow waiting another year to apply, but we're in it for the long con I suppose. But yeah, I feel more comfortable about what this program can offer me in terms of a boost in my application and resources for when I apply again.

Does anyone know if it's fine to use 2X employer letters (both science related)? I graduated awhile ago and it would be easier and more accurate to have my recent employers to do the recommendations
I think that's a question for the ADCOM to answer. They don't give very specific details regarding LORs on the website.
I suggest emailing them at [email protected]

Last edited:
For the LOR's my Instructor wanted a basic outline to follow or wanted to see an example. Does anyone have one that they wouldn't mind letting him look at or possibly pointing me in the right direction?

Does anyone know a competitive GRE score for admission into the program? Also, are out-of-state residents given less preference?

Has anyone submitted their application? It says that the app is still incomplete but has no information on why it is incomplete.

Has anyone submitted their application? It says that the app is still incomplete but has no information on why it is incomplete.

I may be wrong, but I think it's because the admissions office is closed until Monday, so they may not be processing apps until they get back

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @rsrs3739 I guess they might be the same thing? I've been clicking on the blue button for Student Center and scrolling down to the bottom where there's a little application status table. In there, I have a checklist marked as complete for my app to the DO program, but nothing for the MedSci app.
Ok I see it. I only see a green circle for my application, which indicates that it is complete. I dont see any checklist marks.
Also I'm wondering why my application is marked as complete when it's still missing LORs, etc.

what is the percentage of applicants admitted into this program?

Anybody know the policy of listing future volunteer services or is it strictly asking for past experiences?

Needing some advice.

My college career was a bit rough, but was able to graduate. Graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I took the MCAT when it first came out in April, and did terribly. Was ill-prepared and scored a 487 (yikes, I know). However, I'm a Texas resident, and I really think this post-bacc program could be a huge break for me, as it has an MCAT course integrated. I really just need a big break, and am considering that this post-bacc program can get me back on track.

What are the cutoffs for acceptance into the program? I'm registered for Jan 23 MCAT, but still not too prepared. It's been hard having to study on my own for this. What are the percentage of applicants accepted?

In a desperate place, and really would like some input.

Anybody know the policy of listing future volunteer services or is it strictly asking for past experiences?

I would only list past and current volunteer services unless otherwise stated. Many students can list out what they would like to do in the coming months, but how many of those students actually follow through?

Needing some advice.

My college career was a bit rough, but was able to graduate. Graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I took the MCAT when it first came out in April, and did terribly. Was ill-prepared and scored a 487 (yikes, I know). However, I'm a Texas resident, and I really think this post-bacc program could be a huge break for me, as it has an MCAT course integrated. I really just need a big break, and am considering that this post-bacc program can get me back on track.

What are the cutoffs for acceptance into the program? I'm registered for Jan 23 MCAT, but still not too prepared. It's been hard having to study on my own for this. What are the percentage of applicants accepted?

I'm not sure what the cutoffs are, but I'm gonna be honest with you here. A 487 is actually really bad. Your GPA is ok, but your MCAT is really bad. If I were you, I'd drop the January retake. If you got a 487 on the first MCAT and aren't feeling ready at all for this upcoming one then you're only going to be digging your grave even deeper. Since you've already graduated, take a couple months off of doing absolutely everything and study your ass off your retake.

487 = 13th percentile. Maybe this program is your saving grace, but a 13th percentile MCAT isn't doing you any favors. You probably won't even get looked at. If you're really dedicated to becoming a doctor, take some time off and put in everything that you've got into a retake. You're fighting a huge uphill battle right now. It's definitely possible to make it big, but ONLY if you score really well on your retake.

Needing some advice.

I agree with TexasMedics. It still wouldn't hurt to apply for the program though.

Needing some advice.

I think I remember reading somewhere on the UNT website that the minimum MCAT score for the Med Sci program was 20, which means you need a score of at least 495 on the new MCAT. 487 = 14

Edit:
https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/
"For this program, and only this program, the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required instead of the Graduate Record Examination. While not the only criterion considered in acceptance into medical school, the applicant should have a competitive MCAT score before the application deadline. In general, composite MCAT scores below 20 and individual subset scores below 6 are not competitive"

Last edited:
Have they released anything about when the open house is? I know its sometime in February.

I am in need of some advice from someone who is knowledgeable about the program deadlines/acceptances.

I applied to MD/DO schools this cycle and I was really hoping to go to a TX med school, but I did not hear back from any TX schools. I will be finished with my Med Sci application tomorrow but is it too late to submit? Also, I did not do so great on the MCAT (499) and my science GPA is a 3.28, are my stats good enough to have a chance at getting accepted?

I am in need of some advice from someone who is knowledgeable about the program deadlines/acceptances.

I applied to MD/DO schools this cycle and I was really hoping to go to a TX med school, but I did not hear back from any TX schools. I will be finished with my Med Sci application tomorrow but is it too late to submit? Also, I did not do so great on the MCAT (499) and my science GPA is a 3.28, are my stats good enough to have a chance at getting accepted?

Sorry to hear about your cycle. It's not too late. There were people who submitted late February last year and got in. Your stats look good enough for Med Sci. As long as everything else looks good then you should have a pretty fair chance.

Sorry to hear about your cycle. It's not too late. There were people who submitted late February last year and got in. Your stats look good enough for Med Sci. As long as everything else looks good then you should have a pretty fair chance.

Thank you for responding, this eases my mind a bit. By any chance do you know when the Med Sci program began accepting students?

Have they released anything about when the open house is? I know its sometime in February.

I called today and the lady who answered the phone said they are not having the open house this year.

Applied to the program about a month ago and really hoping to start in May! To avoid a scramble nearing the start date (in case of acceptance), I've begun looking at housing options. Apartments seem to be on the pricey end, so I'm considering renting a 2 bed/2 bath apt ~2 to 3 miles from campus. I'm not really sure how best to look for potential roommates, so I figured posting on the forum is better than nothing.

ANYWAY, I'm a female looking for a female roommate to share an apartment with. If you're interested, let me know! (also, no smoking or pets please)

If anyone has better ways to look for roommates, your help is appreciated :)

Applied to the program about a month ago and really hoping to start in May! To avoid a scramble nearing the start date (in case of acceptance), I've begun looking at housing options. Apartments seem to be on the pricey end, so I'm considering renting a 2 bed/2 bath apt ~2 to 3 miles from campus. I'm not really sure how best to look for potential roommates, so I figured posting on the forum is better than nothing.

ANYWAY, I'm a female looking for a female roommate to share an apartment with. If you're interested, let me know! (also, no smoking or pets please)

If anyone has better ways to look for roommates, your help is appreciated :)

Looks like you've already found the housing page. Your best bet at finding a roommate is through the facebook group if you get accepted. That or you'll be invited to the DiscoverMyHSC day if you get accepted early enough. They'll have tables set up that day by people representing different apartments. Most students end up browsing and signing a lease that same day since they're already going to be in the area.

There is a housing page? Can someone link here. I just want to have an idea. Thanks.

My app has been marked as incomplete, but with no way to view outstanding items or to-do list. When I called, Sarah Sturm told me this meant it was just being reviewed. It's been like this for close to two weeks. Anybody else encounter this? I just wanna make sure everything is going through correctly.

My app has been marked as incomplete, but with no way to view outstanding items or to-do list. When I called, Sarah Sturm told me this meant it was just being reviewed. It's been like this for close to two weeks. Anybody else encounter this? I just wanna make sure everything is going through correctly.
Same here. I know my application is still missing a couple of things but there's no way to know what they are

There is a housing page? Can someone link here. I just want to have an idea. Thanks.

http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/wanted.cfm

Looks like you've already found the housing page. Your best bet at finding a roommate is through the facebook group if you get accepted. That or you'll be invited to the DiscoverMyHSC day if you get accepted early enough. They'll have tables set up that day by people representing different apartments. Most students end up browsing and signing a lease that same day since they're already going to be in the area.

Yeah, I figure that would be the best/most reliable way to go about it. Thanks for the insight!

Same here. I know my application is still missing a couple of things but there's no way to know what they are
Yeah that's the problem I'm encountering. I was told the 'checklist' would appear once it's been processed, but I have a nagging feeling there's an error somewhere in this system

Same issue here. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

I know this may be a dumb question, but is the deadline for this particular program February 1st or March 1st?

I heard this program's tuition includes a mac, is that true?

hey guys! so on this application, was there a tab for essay/short answer questions? I can't seem to find it if there is one

Hi, everyone! I would like to get opinions on how my chances would be for this program and I also have some questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me. I applied to med school this cycle and ended up with no match (1 interview). I applied with a 3.3c and 3.1s with a 504 MCAT. I have quite a bit of clinical experience shadowing about 4 specialties and I have done some clinical volunteer work in underserved area clinics. I've also done some really unconventional research for pre-meds (health economics) and some basic science research in a kinesiology lab.

Is someone with a 3.3c/3.1s and 504 MCAT sound like a good applicant for this program? Are the stats of students around these when they apply to this program? Do students usually apply right when they go into the program, or do they wait?

Thanks!

Former medsci student here, feel free to ask any questions yall have about this program... good luck to those applying.

Hi, everyone! I would like to get opinions on how my chances would be for this program and I also have some questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me. I applied to med school this cycle and ended up with no match (1 interview). I applied with a 3.3c and 3.1s with a 504 MCAT. I have quite a bit of clinical experience shadowing about 4 specialties and I have done some clinical volunteer work in underserved area clinics. I've also done some really unconventional research for pre-meds (health economics) and some basic science research in a kinesiology lab.

Is someone with a 3.3c/3.1s and 504 MCAT sound like a good applicant for this program? Are the stats of students around these when they apply to this program? Do students usually apply right when they go into the program, or do they wait?

Thanks!
This program will also isolate your most recent 60 hours and look at that so keep that in mind as well. Just about everyone in my class applied while in the program, this is highly encouraged because on TMDSAS you have the option to select that you are "in a special program" and further select UNTHSC MEDSCI

This program will also isolate your most recent 60 hours and look at that so keep that in mind as well. Just about everyone in my class applied while in the program, this is highly encouraged because on TMDSAS you have the option to select that you are "in a special program" and further select UNTHSC MEDSCI
Even Med sci students w/ low undergraduate GPA apply to med school while in the program? I've read threads on here that you should only apply after completing your SMP because you can only report grades from your summer courses.

Even Med sci students w/ low undergraduate GPA apply to med school while in the program? I've read threads on here that you should only apply after completing your SMP because you can only report grades from your summer courses.

I had a low cumulative undergrad GPA and still applied (got accepted to MD in texas). Idk who told you that you can only submit summer grades b/c that isn't true. Courses are finished on a rolling basis (biochem is only the first 6 weeks of the fall, then you receive a final letter grade on your transcript shortly thereafter, then cell/molecular is the next 5/6 weeks, etc.) so you can submit your transcript to TMDSAS every time a new grade is posted. Also, you GREATLY dampen your chances of getting a TCOM interview if you don't apply when you're in the program. This isnt to say you can't get one after you finish b/c several of my friends have, but a pretty substantial chunk of us got TCOM interviews while in the program and its a known fact that they view current medsci students as an entirely different applicant pool.

edit: besides, what harm is there in applying?

Reactions: 2 users
Match day was just earlier this week. It seemed like a lot of people interviewed and were accepted to TCOM. I don't know the actual numbers but I would guess about 70 or so students interviewed from the program and about 20-30 were accepted. I'm sure more will be pulled off the waitlist as the next few months pass by. There have also been students who matched to Houston, Galveston, RioGrande, San Antonio, A&M, Lubbock, El Paso and yes even Southwestern. I haven't heard anything about Dell or Baylor, but Baylor doesn't use the match system so who knows.

Definitely apply while you're in the program. Just remember to keep updating your grades as the semester goes on.

Edit: Same goes for PA and Pre-Dental students. Make sure you apply as you begin the program and update schools with your grades when you get the chance.

Great! This cleared things up! Thank you guys. I read threads about SMPs in general. They weren't specifically talking about UNT but some people were like "NEVER APPLY WHILE IN A SMP" or "YOU SHOULD ONLY APPLY AFTER YOU COMPLETE YOUR SMP" Even some "faculty" SDNers made comments like that, so I had second thoughts.