~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was surprised by how few there were as well. I signed up for AMSA and the one that organizes IM sports. I believe that with AMSA you pay your $70 lifetime joining fee and receive a free Netter's.

we better have a badass IM basketball team....B-ball is serious business

Members don't see this ad.

do med students participate in i.m. ultimate frisbee?

That I'm not sure about. It's not a sport that I play so I didn't ask. I know that they were talking about soccer, softball, and then having their own racquetball tournament. I'm sure there's others as well or that could be organized.

Are the Darragh St. Apts furnished?

Also, does anyone know if Pitt students can become PA residents after a year or two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know if Pitt students can become PA residents after a year or two?

one sdn-er talked about being denied in-state even after he had bought a house. eh, it's only 4 k extra.

one sdn-er talked about being denied in-state even after he had bought a house. eh, it's only 4 k extra.

Really?? Do you know any details about this? I find that rather surprising, though I guess being from Massachusetts I shoudn't...

Really?? Do you know any details about this? I find that rather surprising, though I guess being from Massachusetts I shoudn't...

don't remember the details, but it was written somewhere in the sdn abyss.

hey guys, i just got an e-mail from housing saying that i've been assigned to a one bedroom style B in darragh and that i need to reply to let them know if i still want to live there, after which they will send my lease.

have any of you done all this yet? i'm wondering if i have to sign the lease right away, or if there's a deposit i won't be able to get back if i change my mind? i'm not sure i want to live in the darragh apts. because if my bf moves with me we definitely will not fit and will have to live off-campus.

also, i thought second look was a blast and i'm so excited about pitt! for those of you who didn't go, the people (both the first years and prospectives) were awesome, and i am now thoroughly convinced that you can have fun in med school.

hey guys, i just got an e-mail from housing saying that i've been assigned to a one bedroom style B in darragh and that i need to reply to let them know if i still want to live there, after which they will send my lease.

have any of you done all this yet? i'm wondering if i have to sign the lease right away, or if there's a deposit i won't be able to get back if i change my mind? i'm not sure i want to live in the darragh apts. because if my bf moves with me we definitely will not fit and will have to live off-campus.

also, i thought second look was a blast and i'm so excited about pitt! for those of you who didn't go, the people (both the first years and prospectives) were awesome, and i am now thoroughly convinced that you can have fun in med school.

I also just got that email. I don't think that anything is official until the lease is signed, which won't be until sometime in May apparently.

has anybody heard if the financial aid packages are going to be released late again this year? i think last year people heard back around may 12, which is pretty ridiculous.

has anybody heard if the financial aid packages are going to be released late again this year? i think last year people heard back around may 12, which is pretty ridiculous.

when i called last week they told me to expect them the first week of may, so i hope that means they send them out so they arrive during that week and not the next

when i called last week they told me to expect them the first week of may, so i hope that means they send them out so they arrive during that week and not the next

Does anyone know if they go out via snail mail or email? It'd be nice if we could just find out via email/some status page!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they go out via snail mail or email? It'd be nice if we could just find out via email/some status page!

i actually e-mailed them about that yesterday, because i was worried that the mail where i live is really slow. no response yet, but i'll let you know if i hear anything.

Hi guys,

I am a first year medical student at UPitt, and first of all, I'd like to say congrats on being accepted. If you're still looking for housing, there will be an opening in my house starting August. It's about a 10 minute walk from Scaife. If you're interested, please take a look. If you have any questions, call 412-621-6833. Thanks.:D

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/roo/312221152.html

not pitt-related, but im excited and felt like sharing. my parents just made my graduation present official...i'll be in disney world from june 29-july5! what a great way to celebrate the end of college and the beginning of med school.

i thought it was a little excessive, but my parents figure it'll be quite awhile before i get another summer like this one (since next summer i'll probably be doing research). so now i have one more thing to make me so excited about the next few months...making it even harder to get through the next 2 weeks of college!

not pitt-related, but im excited and felt like sharing. my parents just made my graduation present official...i'll be in disney world from june 29-july5! what a great way to celebrate the end of college and the beginning of med school.

i thought it was a little excessive, but my parents figure it'll be quite awhile before i get another summer like this one (since next summer i'll probably be doing research). so now i have one more thing to make me so excited about the next few months...making it even harder to get through the next 2 weeks of college!

That's so exciting. Do they do fireworks there for the 4th?

That's so exciting. Do they do fireworks there for the 4th?

i guess they do fireworks every night or something, but they have special fireworks for the 4th

That's awesome - Disney World is so much fun to visit as an adult, especially if you went as a kid as well. Have a great time!

this has become a female dominated thread

Congratulations everyone, I'm a second year at Pitt and I'm taking a year-off to do research.

I don't want to hijack this thread as a housing posting, but I have a room for rent in Squirrel Hill from now until July 31. This could give you time to see if you like Squirrel Hill (versus Shadyside) without committing to a year.

Here's the ad: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sub/313364917.html

The ad says $550, but $475 is fine. If you have any questions just pm me. thanks.

haha. most pitt students on this thread have been posting housing offers.

here's to hoping that getting fin aid offers in "early may" means this week!!!

is anyone thinking of doing the prematriculation program this summer? it sounds interesting but i need to make money working instead.

I like cheese

Go to school 5 weeks earlier?? And pay money on top of it for rent and other expenses? Ummm...thanks but no thanks...I'll enjoy my summer like a normal human being.

haha i agree...it's tempting since my science background isn't that strong, but im looking forward to a long summer of absolutely nothing :D

yeah, sounds more like a "pre-gunner program" to me . . .

is anyone thinking of doing the prematriculation program this summer? it sounds interesting but i need to make money working instead.

I heard about this program from an M1, but I haven't received any info. Where did you guys get details about it?

I heard about this program from an M1, but I haven't received any info. Where did you guys get details about it?

i just got an email about it last night.
"Greetings -

Each year the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine offers a Prematriculation program - an opportunity for incoming students to spend 5 weeks on campus learning about the curriculum and becoming comfortable in the SOM environment. Program dates will be June 18-July 20, 2007. Dorm housing (self pay) is available if you have not yet secured an apartment, and the first full day of the program is left free for housing search.

The Prematriculation curriculum includes anatomy, cell biology, biochemistry, medical decision making (epidemiology) and accompanying experiences with problem-based learning, study skills assessment and clinical shadowing.

Please look at the information attached. As our 2007 schedule is in flux, I have attached a rough draft of the weekly schedule. The content will be the same, but the timing of courses may differ. Please read this information thoroughly. You'll find that it answers many questions you may have. If you find tha! t questions remain, please direct them to [email protected]."

i just got an email about it last night.
"Greetings -

Each year the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine offers a Prematriculation program - an opportunity for incoming students to spend 5 weeks on campus learning about the curriculum and becoming comfortable in the SOM environment. Program dates will be June 18-July 20, 2007. Dorm housing (self pay) is available if you have not yet secured an apartment, and the first full day of the program is left free for housing search.

The Prematriculation curriculum includes anatomy, cell biology, biochemistry, medical decision making (epidemiology) and accompanying experiences with problem-based learning, study skills assessment and clinical shadowing.

Please look at the information attached. As our 2007 schedule is in flux, I have attached a rough draft of the weekly schedule. The content will be the same, but the timing of courses may differ. Please read this information thoroughly. You'll find that it answers many questions you may have. If you find tha! t questions remain, please direct them to [email protected]."

That's so strange that I didn't get it. Could you tell me who sent the email so I can write and ask about it?

While on the one hand starting school early is not very appealing, I will be living in Pittsburgh for most of the duration of the program and I remember my interview host telling me she loved it and highly recommended it. I'd at least like to see the details.

Maybe they only sent it to non-science majors. I didn't get the email either.

Maybe they only sent it to non-science majors. I didn't get the email either.

Hmm. Well you may not have received it because your PSTP and will already be there during the summer. CSTP students don't have any summer activities this year, though. Wierd.

That's so strange that I didn't get it. Could you tell me who sent the email so I can write and ask about it?

While on the one hand starting school early is not very appealing, I will be living in Pittsburgh for most of the duration of the program and I remember my interview host telling me she loved it and highly recommended it. I'd at least like to see the details.

it was signed Paula Davis and was sent from [email protected]

What else have you guys heard about this pre-matriculation program? If I am going to be giving up 5 weeks of my summer it better be worth it.

has anyone heard anything about financial aid? I'm about to go crazy

I got a letter in the mail saying that I would be billed as a non-pennsylvania resident.

Thats about it so far.

from last year's thread, it looks like the earliest anyone received their fin. aid package was may 6th, but there were people who still hadn't received it on the 10th. that's kinda pushing it for "first week of may"...i hope they come sooner than that!!

While looking through the old class threads for pre-summer program information, i found this little gem (not that it means anything to me but I am guessing that is pretty f*&*ing good):

"Just noticed on a thread in pre-allo that the average USMLE STEP 1 at Pitt is 227

Just thought people on here would be interested,

Jim"

Is anyone interested in creating a Facebook group and outing ourselves? I wouldn't mind getting a sense of my future classmates by names and faces, in addition to anonymous StudentDoctor handles.

theres a group on facebook already, search for 'pitt 2011' and youll find it eventually

oops i lied...search pittsburgh 2011 instead

Is anyone interested in creating a Facebook group and outing ourselves? I wouldn't mind getting a sense of my future classmates by names and faces, in addition to anonymous StudentDoctor handles.

You can do a search for a global group titled "University of Pittsburgh-Medicine class of 2011"

EDIT: Beat to the punch. Oh well.

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't find it on my earlier search.

theres a group on facebook already, search for 'pitt 2011' and youll find it eventually

I'm having a hard time finding the facebook site. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Katie

Im starting to get the sense that my design of the facebook group title is not the best. Keep searching........:thumbup:

Im starting to get the sense that my design of the facebook group title is not the best. Keep searching........:thumbup:

Have you tried searching for the entire first part of the name? (University of Pittsburgh-Medicine)? When I searched for Pittsburgh I got like 500+ group options, but adding the "University of" and "Medicine" part came up with just four.

Good luck! ;)

sooo...still no financial aid. has anyone called them to see if the packages have been sent out yet?