~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pleased to be posting. Does Pitt have a second look? Too bad the football team isn't very good, cause we could talk about that.

Phil Collins is the master.

Hells yeah, smokey. Phil's a dude. :horns:

Congrats on the acceptance! I think they must have a second look weekend, but I've not heard a thing about it. Of course, it is pretty darn early...

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't wait to get my official letter in the mail. i'm still so excited. we got into PITT!

Yeah, Pitt was great. Where do they rank for you guys? Considering I just got deferred (UMich) and waitlisted (Vandy) by others I was thinking about, it makes the choice a lot easier.

it's definitely up there for me. i'm gonna have a really tough choice but i think im leaning toward pitt.

Yeah, Pitt's certainly up there for me. I really liked the people there and the research they were conducting, so it would take a truly awesome offer (i.e., MD/PhD or massive scholarship) from another school to pull me away.

Got my official letter in the mail today. Personalized. It said based on so and so activities, named my school. Wow, totally impressed. :)

I was really impressed with the personalization. That must have taken some time, and tells you something about the school. It says stuff like....based on your involvement in Smokey's favorite activities and your success at Smokeyville University....a great touch

Members don't see this ad :)
Surely it must have mentioned that time you prevented that forest fire. I mean, come on!!!

:p

I never prevented any forest fires. Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires.

We sure have a big class here, all three of us.

I never prevented any forest fires. Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires.

We sure have a big class here, all three of us.

4 of us. I hardly post on SDN.
I echo the loving sentiments for pitt. It was top 3 for me.

On Monday, I'm withdrawing from around 20+ schools.

I'm a third time applicant (ouch).

Please people, don't wait for May 15th and withdraw now so that some poor borderline applicant can also live the dream. I don't think a generous finaid package can make up for what pitt has to offer.

Hi. I've quit posting on pre-allo but I wanted to say hi to potential fellow classmates and congratulate you all. I also got my personalized Pitt letter on Friday. I was so excited. I love the school when I interviewed, and my student host was awesome. :)

wow i was up really late. and what was i doing up that late? posting on SDN. :oops:

Hey, it could be more pathetic. You could have been....um, well....ok, yeah posting on SDN in the middle of the night is pretty pathetic.;)

Hi. I've quit posting on pre-allo but I wanted to say hi to potential fellow classmates and congratulate you all. I also got my personalized Pitt letter on Friday. I was so excited. I love the school when I interviewed, and my student host was awesome. :)

Bienvenidos! The letter is nice to read. I liked the city a lot better than I thought I would and the school was great (didn't like that darn hill, though). Winters=bad news, right?

Depends where you're from. I think the winters are on par with what I'm used to (NY). If you're soon to be a Cali exile...well...invest in some sweaters. And boots.

Meanwhile, I checked the response form 200 times to make sure that we dont need a deposit to hold our spots (ack! DO we? :eek: ).

Not only do they personalize the e-mail, but they also get back to you really quickly! :)

Depends where you're from. I think the winters are on par with what I'm used to (NY). If you're soon to be a Cali exile...well...invest in some sweaters. And boots.

Meanwhile, I checked the response form 200 times to make sure that we dont need a deposit to hold our spots (ack! DO we? :eek: ).

Nope! I was also a little freaked about the whole thing so I checked their website. It says no deposit needed until week of May 16. Apparently, they don't want money unless you are for sure going there.

i'm sending in my information form tomorrow...i'm still so excited that i got accepted. last year at this time, i was at a grad school fair at penn state and there was a representative from pitt handing out some info. i asked her what it would take to get into pitt for medical school and she said to aim for a 35 MCAT and do lots of research...she said other things too, but i don't remember what they were. i just remember walking away thinking, "wow there's no way i'll get into pitt."

and now here i am!

We cannot let this thread die. I've gotta get my butt on the stick and send in the information form; I've been taking too much time trying to decide whether or not to live on or off campus. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just fax it (they should let us do that, right?).

Where are the new additions? C'mon people!

Hey People:

I interviewed very recently, and was wondering how long it took for you guys to hear back w/ a decision? :idea:

I'm so excited and nervous, esp cause the class just opened up a couple weeks ago on the 15th. And this magical admissions e-mail you all speak of - was it from your student or faculty interviewer (or both)? :cool:

Are any of you looking into MSTP, CSTP, or PSTP, CRTP, or MMPH? If so - any thoughts on those would be great. I wanna do research again, but I just don't know what's the best avenue to go about it! :cool:

WISH ME LUCK SMOKEY, ERINA, and my dear Forest Fire gang! :thumbup:

Cheers! :D
- Algo.

Hey People:

I interviewed very recently, and was wondering how long it took for you guys to hear back w/ a decision? :idea:

I'm so excited and nervous, esp cause the class just opened up a couple weeks ago on the 15th. And this magical admissions e-mail you all speak of - was it from your student or faculty interviewer (or both)? :cool:

Are any of you looking into MSTP, CSTP, or PSTP, CRTP, or MMPH? If so - any thoughts on those would be great. I wanna do research again, but I just don't know what's the best avenue to go about it! :cool:

WISH ME LUCK SMOKEY, ERINA, and my dear Forest Fire gang! :thumbup:

Cheers! :D
- Algo.

Hello Algo!

I interviewed in early September and got a faculty email on either the 17th or 18th. It probably will be a lot quicker for you. Don't freak out looking for the email because the 'official' communication is via snail mail. It looks like several people got the 'good' letter without an email (all up to your interviewer). Good luck, let us know when you get in!:luck:

I WILL DO FOR SURE! :D Keepin my fingers crossed & waiting!

Can't wait to have my spot by the fire :laugh:

I'll get back to you guys sooner hopefully, than later! :thumbup:

- ALGO.

:luck: :luck: Algorhythmik.

I interviewed on 9.12 and heard back by email on 10.17, so about a month give or take.

As for their programs, I'm looking into the PSTP program in the hopes of eventually moving into the MD/PhD track. Overall it looks pretty sweet... gotta get my butt on the stick and apply finally. :rolleyes:

Hey Severus:

Thanks for the info. I'm a Re-App who was on High WL last year. A bunch of us got the short straw b/c last year was Pitt's first rolling admissions year - they overaccepted at first, so less people got off the WL than usual. :(

As for Second Look - they definitely do have one. :thumbup: If I remember correctly, it was sometime around that May 15th AAMC one-school only deadline ... either just before or after it. But I remember talking to students who attended it. The date could easily change though. But they def have one. :cool:

They take you on city tours to see neighborhoods, etc and look for housing if you so wish. They also organize FinAid sessions, and create big social functions for incoming MS-1's to meet and greet one another. For example - some MS-2's threw a big house party one night (keg-stands included :smuggrin: ), and Pitt traditionally organizes a night river-cruise where they wine and dine you and your classmates to give you a chance to have some fun together outside of school. Not everyone goes, but those who did said they had a blast.

Again - thanks for the timeline info. I'll let you all know if/when I hear something. :eek: Supposedly around Thanksgiving :confused: is when I might hear! Trying to reeeeee :sleep: eeeeelax til then!

WISH ME SOME OF THIS ===> :luck: HAHA! .

:cool: DUUUUUUUUUDE ... you can't risk showing other ppl the secret Re-App shake! :p

Speakin of secret :cool: - we're lame for being on SDN at 6:30/6:50 in the morning. :rolleyes:

HAHA! :laugh: :thumbup:

Send me some Re-App Love fo sho in the next 30 days! :D :love:

Good luck to all the re-apps! I hope they realize that those who love Pitt twice are twice as nice. :luck:

Meanwhile, I called the office to see if they got my admitted applicant form to hold my place and they have not. I sent that form back on 10/23 and the other mail I sent that day reached its destination long ago. They told me on the phone that I won't lose my spot and to check again on Friday but I'm still uneasy. Anyone else have trouble with this?

2 weeks and no word yet, duh! Another 2 weeks to go! :eek:

Ewwwwwwwwwww :scared:

Just thought I'd BUMP BUMP the wall a little. :smuggrin: Ain't nobody been round these here parts in mighty long time, I reckon. ;) :thumbup:

the more i think about pitt, the more i want to go there :love: i can't wait for the second look even though it's so far away!

severus, are you leaning toward penn state or pitt? or is it too early to tell?

Does anyone actually know the exact date 2nd Look has been set for this year? Just curious. Thanks! ... :thumbup:

(I go to committee around Turkey Day; fingers gobbled! :laugh: ) :luck:

the more i think about pitt, the more i want to go there :love: i can't wait for the second look even though it's so far away!

severus, are you leaning toward penn state or pitt? or is it too early to tell?

I know, right? I'm stoked about school. :cool:

At this point, I think that I'm going to w/d from Penn State. I've lived in the area for 22 years, and even though I don't mind it 1.) I'd like to see a bit more of the country 2.) they're more focused on primary care and I'm a bit more into academic medicine.

What about you?

I know, right? I'm stoked about school. :cool:

At this point, I think that I'm going to w/d from Penn State. I've lived in the area for 22 years, and even though I don't mind it 1.) I'd like to see a bit more of the country 2.) they're more focused on primary care and I'm a bit more into academic medicine.

What about you?

i think i'm leaning toward pitt but i can't bring myself to decline penn state yet because i've loved it for so long. but chances are, you and i will be classmates next year!

i think i'm leaning toward pitt but i can't bring myself to decline penn state yet because i've loved it for so long. but chances are, you and i will be classmates next year!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Rock on.

I feel like such a dork... I've already started looking into apartments online. :oops: I get so excited about apartment hunting and decorating.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Rock on.

I feel like such a dork... I've already started looking into apartments online. :oops: I get so excited about apartment hunting and decorating.

hahahaha i did that too. it IS really exciting. and it's a great way to waste time instead of doing all the work i have to do!

I totally forgot this forum existed. So I am totally on the "I LOVE PITT" train. I withdrew from pretty much everywhere after I got in. But I'm from Cali, and I've lived away (far, far away in Ohio and Kansas) for 5 years and I might want to go back there and be by my family...

Right now I'm at UCSD, waiting around in the li-berry for a student host. I have a couple of other Cali interviews to do and I'm still waiting to hear from Mayo...

But I really, really loved Pitt. Lisa Wick is my new hero. She and I totally clicked over cutting up old shirts to make new fashion creations.

And I really loved Pittsburgh! I could totally see myself living there. How can you go wrong with 7-day $1 YuengLueng specials? And I liked that you can walk/bike around Pittsburgh. There are not very many "cities" where you can do that.

But I guess I'm preaching to the choir. Hope to see you all at Second Look!

PS - Hey Severus: I know how to knit sweet-ass fingerless hobo gloves. If we end up classmates and you're nice to me you'll probably get a pair someday!

Oh, THAT severus! I just realized you were my application twin and we definitely already talked about eating peanut butter in class together. I will definitely knit you gloves.

God, I am so excited to meet cool people in med school. I hate living in Kansas. The awesome-want-to-be-friends-with-them people are in low density.

I'm in!!! I just received notification today, and I could not be more excited! For those of you that were asking, Second Look is going to be April 12-14. Do we have a roster of people that are planning to attend?

I'm in!!! I just received notification today, and I could not be more excited! For those of you that were asking, Second Look is going to be April 12-14. Do we have a roster of people that are planning to attend?

i'll definitely be there for second look. how'd you find out when it is?

Hey guys,

I'm a Pitt hopeful pathetically lurking around the class thread. Danjo, I was wondering when you interviewed. I realize i have a while to wait (I only interviewed about two weeks ago) but I'm getty antsy. Thanks guys and congratulations on your acceptances!

Hey all, another potential c/o 2011er here! Pitt is awesome, and I seem to be one of the few who liked the city when I visited, LOL.

OT, but I love these no-deposit-required schools! Haven't had to send out any checks yet! ;)

Hey y'all!!

I just received an email from my interviewers that I have been accepted and I wanted to come over to this forum and show some love!! :love:

Pitt is definately in my top 2 so I'm thinking there is a VERY good chance I'll be classmates with y'all next fall! :D

Hey SoFla:

I interviewed the same date as you, pending your mdapplicant thingie is up to date. I haven't heard yet either. Dunno what they told you, but I was told we'd be goin to committee just before/around Turkey Day - meaning we could get e-mails for a very thankful Thanksgiving, or we could just hear by snail mail during the first week of Dec! Its now the 10th - 20 days to go at most!!!! OMG .................................................................................

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

:cool: Oh well - let's calm down and be hopeful, right? :thumbup: :laugh:

Wish us Luck peeps! :luck: Congrats to all of you who've gotten great news so far! I'm jeal ... hmm ... I'm jellin. And if anyone asks - "you're so NOT jellin."

Walkin' the world like Magellan!!! :cool: