~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

you're welcome everyone...i was hoping someone else had noticed, too, so i didn't look too obsessive :p

That is exciting - though I have to say getting the exam schedule is mildly depressing. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any football fans here? The day before our white coat ceremony (Sat. Aug. 11th), the Packers are playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh for the first preseason game (Go Packers! ;)). My parents and I are planning on going to the game and tailgating before hand. If anyone is interested in coming and tailgating with us, let me know at some point. It will be a fun time.

Obviously this is way in advance and I won't need to know until right beforehand, but I'm just throwing it out there in case you are really interested and want to start looking into tickets. From what I was told by people my parents know, the preseason games are not hard to get tickets for, but the regular season is near impossible.

Any football fans here? The day before our white coat ceremony (Sat. Aug. 11th), the Packers are playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh for the first preseason game (Go Packers! ;)). My parents and I are planning on going to the game and tailgating before hand. If anyone is interested in coming and tailgating with us, let me know at some point. It will be a fun time.

Obviously this is way in advance and I won't need to know until right beforehand, but I'm just throwing it out there in case you are really interested and want to start looking into tickets. From what I was told by people my parents know, the preseason games are not hard to get tickets for, but the regular season is near impossible.

I'd probably be up for that if I wind up at Pitt. Roethlisberger lived in my building my sophomore year, and I was able to speak to him on several occasions. (I've heard from some people that he's generally a jerk, but he always seemed really nice to me.) Since I had no team allegiance when he was drafted to the Steelers, to the Steelers my allegiance went.

Why have you yet to join the class facebook group? Are you part of the facebook abstinence crowd?

I'd probably be up for that if I wind up at Pitt. Roethlisberger lived in my building my sophomore year, and I was able to speak to him on several occasions. (I've heard from some people that he's generally a jerk, but he always seemed really nice to me.) Since I had no team allegiance when he was drafted to the Steelers, to the Steelers my allegiance went.

Why have you yet to join the class facebook group? Are you part of the facebook abstinence crowd?

Hopefully you'll wind up at Pitt. We'll be tailgating the Wisconsin way ;)

That's awesome that you've met Roethlisberger. My meeting of football players tends to only revolve around them being at scheduled events or training camp, so it's not that exciting.

And yes, I am part of the facebook abstinence crowd so I can't join the group.

Hopefully you'll wind up at Pitt. We'll be tailgating the Wisconsin way ;)

That's awesome that you've met Roethlisberger. My meeting of football players tends to only revolve around them being at scheduled events or training camp, so it's not that exciting.

And yes, I am part of the facebook abstinence crowd so I can't join the group.

Oooh, facebook abstinence...what good has ever come from that?

I'm not sure how tailgating the Wisconsin way is different from my past experiences--does it include wearing a stocking cap regardless of the time of year, and insisting upon PBR? I guess I could handle that, so long as I have a burger in one hand and a cheddar brat in the other.

I could watch the Steelers game at a bar... But beware...I cheer for the Vikings and anyone who plays the Packers...

Oooh, facebook abstinence...what good has ever come from that?

I'm not sure how tailgating the Wisconsin way is different from my past experiences--does it include wearing a stocking cap regardless of the time of year, and insisting upon PBR? I guess I could handle that, so long as I have a burger in one hand and a cheddar brat in the other.

I just don't like people "stalking" me on facebook. I'll have people call me and tell me that I should be on facebook so that they can keep in touch, and I wonder why they can't keep in touch with my on the phone, since obviously they were able to call me.

No PBR. That's bad. :thumbdown: We like to start tailgating early up at Lambeau. You could go to a Monday night game, getting there around noon to start tailgating, and you won't be the first person there. I've gone to a game in Indy, being told that there was great tailgating there (this was by a Colts fan), and I was quite disappointed by it. There was no where near the amount that we get at Lambeau.

And a cheddar brat? I've never tried one. What do you put on it (besides the cheese)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't like people "stalking" me on facebook. I'll have people call me and tell me that I should be on facebook so that they can keep in touch, and I wonder why they can't keep in touch with my on the phone, since obviously they were able to call me.

No PBR. That's bad. :thumbdown: We like to start tailgating early up at Lambeau. You could go to a Monday night game, getting there around noon to start tailgating, and you won't be the first person there. I've gone to a game in Indy, being told that there was great tailgating there (this was by a Colts fan), and I was quite disappointed by it. There was no where near the amount that we get at Lambeau.

And a cheddar brat? I've never tried one. What do you put on it (besides the cheese)?

I'm sorry, you just wouldn't understand without actually being on facebook :cool:

I've only tailgated in KC for a couple Chiefs games, and they actually do have quite good tailgating there. Of course, I can't really compare it to Green Bay, since I haven't been there myself.

As for the cheddar brat, actually it has the cheddar in the brat itself. It's elegant in its simplicity. (And thank you for saying that PBR won't be a part of the experience.)

tailgating in Pittsburgh is an art -- no one loves their team more than Steelers fans :)
(spoken by a Steeler fan from birth)

why do i get the feeling i might be a freak for living in pittsburgh and not liking football?

i like going to baseball and hockey games, but i don't really follow any teams.

That's fine. The Steelers are great, but if you want to go to a regular season game, get ready to pay a fortune for it. Baseball and hockey are the only affordable sports to watch anymore. And while the Pirates suck, the Penguins seem to have a lot of good years ahead of them with Crosby.

Yes, I'm in the CSTP. Unlike the PSTP, it doesn't start early, so no need to worry about summer housing, but thanks!

My husband and I are just considering it among the possibilities. The housing sounds really nice (brand new and fully equipped), and it so darn convenient to the med school, and while it may be a bit expensive for the area, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Boston housing... I'm really hoping that it will be possible to view the housing at some point, because I'll want to be fully informed before signing any leases (off campus or on). Despite it not being ready to live in, do you guys think it'll be ready enough to show an apartment by 2nd look? That would be ideal.

CONGRATS, CONGRATS to all those accepted :)

Sorry to hi-jack your thread. Just noticed the thingy about moving from Boston to Pitt as a couple. My husband and I have lived in Ruskin since 2000 (I'm MSTP). It's close to school and ALOT safer than other parts of Oakland that near the hospitals. (Stay away from South Oakland!) Plus, it's a quiet bldg not full of undergrads. When I accepted the Ruskin lease, it was basically over the phone from Boston, so I didn't have time to see anything.

I'm expecting the new Darragh Street housing to be much newer and nicer with great facilities and even closer (wish it was built like 7yr ago, so I could live there longer than 9mos!). Also like having all utilities included, like central air. Drawback for me in Ruskin has been parking, which is now $150/mo at the Holiday Inn.

The housing "shells" of the Darragh bldgs look like they're up, but I'm not sure if there will be demo apts to view. They do have some 3D floor models which we have seen.

Some students also consider buying homes or condos in and around Pittsburgh. We did this in Boston, but had a nightmare trying to sell. But selling isn't that bad in Pgh when you graduate, and of course property's more affordable here.

Welcome to all! Fell free to PM me if you're MSTP :luck:

why do i get the feeling i might be a freak for living in pittsburgh and not liking football?

Lol - me too and I'm from Texas originally (where, although the teams suck, tailgating and American football of all levels is huge). Meh, I'll take soccer instead any day.

Anyone know of the best way to get around Pittsburgh, short of driving? Or how to get to campus from the airport?

Anyone know of the best way to get around Pittsburgh, short of driving? Or how to get to campus from the airport?

Buses seem to be the way to go outside of driving. Taxis were definitely not abundant when I was there.

I took the 45 minute - 1 hour 28X flyer bus from the airport to campus. I believe it was $2.25 (You have to have exact change) one way. The stop is right outside of baggage claim/the transportation area of the airport and there are signs/nice people around to ask if you aren't sure. To get back to the airport, there's a stop right off of Forbes avenue on Craft Avenue which is a block from the Magee Hospital/Hampton Inn on campus.

Do you actually dislike football, or do you just not really care about it?

tailgating in Pittsburgh is an art -- no one loves their team more than Steelers fans :)
(spoken by a Steeler fan from birth)

That's good to hear. I love places that know how to tailgate.

That's fine. The Steelers are great, but if you want to go to a regular season game, get ready to pay a fortune for it. Baseball and hockey are the only affordable sports to watch anymore. And while the Pirates suck, the Penguins seem to have a lot of good years ahead of them with Crosby.

Hockey's affordable? That's great. I've never been to an NHL game before, but I love going to see our amateur team play at home.

Hockey's affordable? That's great. I've never been to an NHL game before, but I love going to see our amateur team play at home.

It's very affordable. And as much as I hate watching hockey on TV, it is probably the best spectator sport there is.

It's very affordable. And as much as I hate watching hockey on TV, it is probably the best spectator sport there is.

I've never been to an NHL game either, but our college games were always a blast. If the NHL can recreate that environment, or better it, then I'm all for it.

Wow, that revisit is coming up soon.

Hockey games are fun -- and the Penguins have "student discount" ticket nights (I think "med student" would count). I went a couple of years ago when the Pens were not having a good season, and the tickets were about $20. I'd imagine that they probably increased the price since then in light of the Pens' renewed popularity.

Hi all -- and congrats to all new acceptees!

I've been absent from this thread for a while, but...

An international medical opp that I've been crossing my fingers for seems to be working out for me. If I take it, I'll have to defer starting at Pitt for a year.

Anyone hear anything on the grapevine about how flexible Pitt is about deferrals?

Thx!

anyone else get login info today? i haven't read the letter yet but my dad called to tell me my pitt.edu email address and password. maybe we can access all of that zone stuff now!

Has anyone else received this yet? I still haven't...

Has anyone else received this yet? I still haven't...

I haven't yet either, but our mail at home is so freakishly slow. It took over a week for my acceptance letter to make it to Wisconsin.

An international medical opp that I've been crossing my fingers for seems to be working out for me. If I take it, I'll have to defer starting at Pitt for a year.

Anyone hear anything on the grapevine about how flexible Pitt is about deferrals?

Thx!

That's exciting! Where are you planning on going?

Thx!

I don't have any concrete information on this, but I do remember my host telling me about one or two people in her class who had deferred admission from the previous year. I'm going to make a leap here, but since Pitt is known as a family-friendly school, and since one common reason people defer is because of new arrivals, I'm guessing they'll be fairly flexible. Especially since you'll be doing a medical-related activity, as opposed to bumming around for a year. But again, I have no concrete evidence that this is true...

Sounds exciting - good luck!

no dice - ive been trying to login in with the email and password sent home and its not letting me login to the Zone

There's at least one member of the current first year class who deferred to spend a year abroad - I think they're pretty laid-back about it.

no dice - ive been trying to login in with the email and password sent home and its not letting me login to the Zone

The one they sent was just the @pitt.edu address, right? I'm pretty sure we'll need our @medstudent.pitt.edu addresses to log into the Zone. Maybe we'll learn more about the timeline for this next week at 2nd Look.

Anyone get a housing confirmation this week? I was told they'd be sent out last week, but I guess that never happened? :confused:

Anyone get a housing confirmation this week? I was told they'd be sent out last week, but I guess that never happened? :confused:

All I ever received was the following email, which I'm guessing you all received as well:

Congratulations on your acceptance to the University Of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that University is currently building apartments for our School of Medicine students which will be complete in July 2007. The apartment complex is located across the street from the School of Medicine. We are currently accepting applications for this new complex and wanted to extend an opportunity for you to apply for these apartments. For more information on the Darragh Street Apartments please visit http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/darragh.html. If you plan to attend the University of Pittsburgh, we would encourage you to make application as soon as possible as we will be accommodating students on a first come first served basis. You may apply online at http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/univappl_form.html. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at 412-624-9900! . We look forward to hearing from you.

I replied asking if they had received my application (they have), and then asked when they'd let me know if I will receive housing and when it will be available. Their response:

We will start assigning apartments to students around the middle of May (5/15). Since the new buildings are currently under construction, the earliest move-in date we have is the middle of July. We will be sending out information as it becomes available.

We will start assigning apartments to students around the middle of May (5/15). Since the new buildings are currently under construction, the earliest move-in date we have is the middle of July. We will be sending out information as it becomes available.

Hmm - thanks for the info! I guess I'll just have to have faith that I get a spot assigned and leave it at that since I'll be out of the country from May 24th through July! I was hoping to get everything finalized before I left...:oops:

Hmm - thanks for the info! I guess I'll just have to have faith that I get a spot assigned and leave it at that since I'll be out of the country from May 24th through July! I was hoping to get everything finalized before I left...:oops:

Ooh, that could be tricky. Well hopefully you'll know before you leave, and then can at least prepare to go to Pittsburgh ASAP when you return to find an August lease... Of course they do seem to be saying that first years will get priority, so hopefully that won't be a problem anyway.

Going anywhere fun?

I talked to Kevin on Thursday, and he said in about a week we'll be getting our leases. I'm currently signed up for a one-bedroom type b, and I'm not sure how they decided which apartment style I would get. The tentative move-in date is mid-July at the earliest to a week before white coat (August 5th-ish) at the latest.

I haven't yet either, but our mail at home is so freakishly slow. It took over a week for my acceptance letter to make it to Wisconsin.

Hello future classmates,

I still haven't gotten my login information and I live in Pittsburgh - mail's pretty quick around here, so I think they're just not done assigning them yet.

I look forward to meeting all of you at Second Look.

Ooh, that could be tricky. Well hopefully you'll know before you leave, and then can at least prepare to go to Pittsburgh ASAP when you return to find an August lease... Of course they do seem to be saying that first years will get priority, so hopefully that won't be a problem anyway.

Going anywhere fun?

Peds, I'm heading to Central Europe (Prague, rafting in Slovakia, Vienna, et cetera) for three and a half weeks with my boyfriend and then I'll be heading to France and Spain for a few more weeks on my own since I've never been(breaking into my very meager savings along the way ;) !)

I talked to Kevin on Thursday, and he said in about a week we'll be getting our leases. I'm currently signed up for a one-bedroom type b, and I'm not sure how they decided which apartment style I would get. The tentative move-in date is mid-July at the earliest to a week before white coat (August 5th-ish) at the latest.

Hmm - cool - thanks Shanster. It seems like there's no clear message from the off-campus living office, but next week would be a huge relief! :) Are you all set for Ruskin earlier in the summer?

What are the rest of you all doing before we take the plunge?

Hmm - cool - thanks Shanster. It seems like there's no clear message from the off-campus living office, but next week would be a huge relief! :) Are you all set for Ruskin earlier in the summer?

Actually no. I called him on Thursday to see what the status was on that, and he said that they filled up since they started moving people to prepare for the renovations. Apparently the admissions office has set something up with one of the undergrad dorms so that PSTP people could stay there, but the cost was outrageous (~$2500 for the summer) for a single dorm room and since I'd have all my stuff with me, I'd need to pay for storage as well. I've found some subleases on Craigslist and so I'm checking a few out this weekend.

That's so strange - it pretty much directly contradicts what they told me, though I spoke to someone named Vic, not Kevin. I also really hope they don't have me down for type b - I'm really not into paying the extra $90/mo for a few extra feet in the kitchen. How did you get in touch with Kevin? It sounds like he might be the guy to talk to...

Peds, I'm heading to Central Europe (Prague, rafting in Slovakia, Vienna, et cetera) for three and a half weeks with my boyfriend and then I'll be heading to France and Spain for a few more weeks on my own since I've never been(breaking into my very meager savings along the way ;) !)

What are the rest of you all doing before we take the plunge?

Wow, that sounds like an amazing way to spend your last summer before med school! My summer won't be anywhere near that exciting. I'm going to continue working in the lab until a month before I move (it would be helpful to know when that's going to be so I can tell work!!!), and then I'll take a somewhat leisurely month to pack and get ready for the move. My hope was to move in July to leave plenty of time to settle in before school.

My husband and I are also going to spend our 2nd anniversary in June at the inn in Vermont where we got married. We didn't get to do that last year because we were in Florence (I was presenting at a conference), and I have no idea when we'll have the chance to do it again, so I made sure to put aside the time and money for it!

What about everyone else?