~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It worked perfectly for me. Thanks for letting us all know!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anybody else get this to work?

Is there a character limit on first/last names?

I think there might be, because I know a student there whose first name is truncated in her email address. Not sure what the limit is or how you should try truncating your name, though...

There is a twenty character limit.

I think there might be, because I know a student there whose first name is truncated in her email address. Not sure what the limit is or how you should try truncating your name, though...

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys already pick your lenders and send in your master promissory note? i'm not sure what the timeline is for this...

hey everyone! i recently got off pitt's waitlist and am really excited about coming to pitt!!
i was just wondering, are a lot of people planning to live in the darragh st. apartments? i was told they were full and called them expecting to get put on a waitlist for an open spot, but they turned out to unexpectedly have a few one bedrooms available. i have to sign a lease pretty soon so i was wondering if a lot of other M1s are going to be living there too!

did you guys already pick your lenders and send in your master promissory note? i'm not sure what the timeline is for this...

When I stopped by the fin aid office last week I was told that they would be emailing this information to us in a week. That obviously isn't true unless other people already received it and I was just left off the list.

hey everyone! i recently got off pitt's waitlist and am really excited about coming to pitt!!
i was just wondering, are a lot of people planning to live in the darragh st. apartments? i was told they were full and called them expecting to get put on a waitlist for an open spot, but they turned out to unexpectedly have a few one bedrooms available. i have to sign a lease pretty soon so i was wondering if a lot of other M1s are going to be living there too!

I know quite a few people that are planning to live there. Personally, now that I'm living in Shadyside, I could not imagine living there. For roughly the same price as living there and adding in parking, I'm living in a much bigger apartment that has lots of closets and basement storage (there isn't in Darragh and there is very little closet space in the apartment itself) with parking right at the base of my building rather than a few blocks walk as we were told at second look. From what I've been told from some current students, they pretty much only hang out at three bars, all in Shadyside, and so it would be either a busride or driving or a very long walk from Darragh to get there.

Just some things to think about.

Congrats to those of you who made it - some of us are still on the outside looking in. ;)

Incidentally, since I'm at Scaife every Tuesday for my research group meeting, I wonder how many of you I'll see in passing?

Has everybody been able to access the Zone? They sent me an email with my log-in info but I still can't log on??

Has everybody been able to access the Zone? They sent me an email with my log-in info but I still can't log on??

i would call them if i were you.

sooo...still no word on the lenders and MPNs? i wonder when they'll send that email...

Hi all:

Congrats to all new additions to the Pitt class!

I'm in the market for a laptop that will hopefully (!) last me through med school. Anyone hear anything about what's most compatible at Pitt?

Much appreciated!

Hi all:

I'm in the market for a laptop that will hopefully (!) last me through med school. Anyone hear anything about what's most compatible at Pitt?

Much appreciated!

Greetings from Paris everyone old and new to the Class of 2011! I hadn't checked my email or SDN in awhile and there's now all this awesome stuff. :)

cdoc: When I was selecting a new laptop to replace my old clunker from early in college, I noticed on the main Pitt website there's a link discussing what you'll want to have computer-wise. It seems like any recent model of computer will do!
http://technology.pitt.edu/Software.aspx?mp=2&body=Software/buyingacomputer.html
There are also software discounts including some for Microsoft Office and Endnote. Hope this helps!

Hi all:

Much appreciated!

I just bought a HP Pavilion dv2000 and upgraded it to a 12 cell battery (lasts ~5 hours and also keeps the laptop tilted upward so that you have the fans exposed to some air) plus some other upgrades in the RAM and processor. So far I love it. It's a 14" screen and it weighs only about 4-5 lbs. When I am at home it is hooked up to my tv/monitor so the screen size doesn't matter.

I agree that pretty much any new computer will be good. The only problem with the new ones is that they all have Vista, which is still working out compatibility problems with other software. I like Vista alot since it's much easier, but the compatability issues are a pain. Fortunately they should be worked out as more places upgrade computers.

Also, stiffany... I am so jealous that you are in Paris. Have a great time.

On the subject of computers... Does anyone know whether they support macs? I mean, if I decide to get a mac, will I be the odd one out as far as tech support goes?

Also, do people usually take their computers with them to class on a daily basis? I'm wondering if investing in an extremely light one is worth it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello class of 2011! I am an incoming MS1 and have a double on the new medical school apartments and am looking for a roommate. see the thread i made in the housing forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5291447#post5291447

As to what shanster was saying, whether you want to live on Darragh depends on what you're looking for. For me, the biggest plus is the fact that its across the street from the medical school and one block from the gym.

e-mail johnkang55(AT)yahoo(DOT)com or call 6(zero)9 462-7(one)04 if you are interested. (I'm using parantheses to throw off any data mining bots).

Hey everyone, I emailed admissions to find out when they will be sending out the lender/MPN email and they said it will be going out next week.

Hi guys,

I'm an incoming MS1. I've lined up an apartment in Shadyside starting 8/1 and I'm looking for a roommate, preferably a guy. It's a 3br/1ba at the corner of Ellsworth and Copeland, 2 blocks from Walnut and UPMC Shadyside, half a mile from Whole Foods and a mile from Trader Joe's. It's a block from a bus stop for the 71C which takes about 12 minutes to get straight to school.

I'm only looking for 1 roommate, so we'd have the 3rd bedroom to use as a study/office/guest room/whatever. The apartment also has a balcony, and the building has a roof deck. There are laundry facilities in the building.

Rent is $325/mo plus utilities.

A little about me: I'm 24, from Idaho, went to school in Rhode Island, and have been working at NIH in DC for the last 2 years. I'm a very sociable person, but I've also got great self-control when it comes to buckling down to get work done. I'm a little messy when it comes to piles of clothes or an unmade bed in my room, but I am compulsive about cleaning up after myself in shared spaces, and I don't leave food messes (do my dishes promptly etc). I play sports (rugby, skiing, cycling, kickball) and listen to a lot of music, mostly indie rock.

If you think this is the kind of living situation you're looking for, pm me.

And because I am bored at work, here's a map.

all right, so i guess Pitt sent the lender email today instead. the email is just for the stafford loans...i have no idea how to do this financial aid stuff, so does anyone know anything about applying for a GradPLUS loan? when do we have to take care of that one?

Welp, hello all. I just got in off the waitlist today, and wanted to say hi to my future classmates. I feel like I might be a bit behind on the paperwork for everything, but hopefully it'll all still work out. I look forward to meeting you all in a few months!

Welp, hello all. I just got in off the waitlist today, and wanted to say hi to my future classmates. I feel like I might be a bit behind on the paperwork for everything, but hopefully it'll all still work out. I look forward to meeting you all in a few months!

Congrats on getting in! :) I'll see you in August!

Congrats to all of the new acceptees!!! :) :hardy:

I just returned back from Europe and noticed an addendum to the Darragh Street leases that says they may or may not notify us that we have to occupy the property later. :( Anyone called/received more current info recently since this stuff was all dated a month ago?

Whoa, I am so out of the loop. What are we supposed to do if we can't occupy the apartments at that time? I have to move a UHaul from NYC to Pitt and that can't be done in an hour... Like any of you know what we have to do any better than me. Right. Anyone else getting excited for whitewater rafting and boozing at orientation?

Congrats to all of the new acceptees!!! :) :hardy:

I just returned back from Europe and noticed an addendum to the Darragh Street leases that says they may or may not notify us that we have to occupy the property later. :( Anyone called/received more current info recently since this stuff was all dated a month ago?

I called about three weeks ago and they told me move in date for building #2 was August 11th...day before white coat ceremony...that should make things interesting. :scared:

there's going to be whitewater rafting during orientation??!?! amazing!!! i mean, boozing i was already excited for. but whitewater rafting, hardcore!! is there an orientation schedule somewhere?
i'm concerned about the darragh st apartments...confusion as well. moving in the day before the white coat ceremony, not cool.

there's going to be whitewater rafting during orientation??!?! amazing!!! i mean, boozing i was already excited for. but whitewater rafting, hardcore!! is there an orientation schedule somewhere?
i'm concerned about the darragh st apartments...confusion as well. moving in the day before the white coat ceremony, not cool.

I was so excited about rafting! :)

Hey, I don't suppose anyone out there is still looking for a roommate? I'm really trying to find another med student to live with, since living costs are so much cheaper if you have a roommate. However, I'm kind of worried that by this point, almost everyone's probably finalized their plans for housing next year. If anyone is still looking for a roommate, send me a PM.

Otherwise, where is everyone living next year? Near the campus in Oakland, over in Shadyside, or somewhere else?

Ok, some questions for people from Pittsburgh or who are already there.

1) What cell phone company(ies) work well? Any chance T-Mobile has good service (I want a removeable sim card for international travel)?

2) What bank has a lot of ATMs in the area? Any banks with free checking, extended/weekend hours, other goodies? I know Commerce is good...is there a Commerce branch nearby (I will be living in the Darragh Apartments)

3) Anyone have a "for sure" date on Darragh Street Apartment move-in? I got the email that said the lease starts on August 1 and my dad wants to move me in then. But...well...I have been hearing that August 1 will not work from people on SDN.

4) Is there wireless internet in the Darragh Street Apartments? Anyone know how to get wireless if there is not (can I, for example, plug a Linksys wireless system into the internet jack and broadcast through the apartment?) Computer science people? I was a religion major...

5) Are there things we should get/do before orientation that we might not think about? I want to get books, but I am waiting for the SARC manual to go up...not sure when that will happen. Do people at the summer program have any input on books/things to get done?

6) Where do we pick up keys for Darragh Street? Can we use the gym before orientation, or do we need to wait to get an ID card first?

Ok, a lot of questions and probably a few more that I am not thinking of. Sorry about that. At least this will get us back on page 1 :0).

1) What cell phone company(ies) work well? Any chance T-Mobile has good service (I want a removeable sim card for international travel)?

i've heard Verizon is the best.

i have a million questions, too :) we're starting so soon! it sounds so dorky, but i'm really excited to get my books haha

Hey, I don't suppose anyone out there is still looking for a roommate? I'm really trying to find another med student to live with, since living costs are so much cheaper if you have a roommate. However, I'm kind of worried that by this point, almost everyone's probably finalized their plans for housing next year. If anyone is still looking for a roommate, send me a PM.

Otherwise, where is everyone living next year? Near the campus in Oakland, over in Shadyside, or somewhere else?

i don't need a roommate but i'll be living in Shadyside. i felt a lot more comfortable there than in Oakland...it just seemed a lot safer to me, but i don't know much about living in Pittsburgh.

Oh, I'm psyched to get my books, too. I have these visions of reading before the lecture so that I'll be more prepared. I am told that will NEVER happen, haha, but I have been living in SE Asia for so long that my stagnant mind is excited for any sort of stimulation...even glancing at an anatomy textbook before school starts...

2 bedroom apartment in security building with large living room/kitchen area, porch, 2 full baths, dining room, wet bar and FREE PARKING in the Regent Square section of Pittsburgh. Five minute walk from bus routes (w/out connections) to Pitt campus and downtown. Five minutes from Squirrel Hill and ten minutes from Shadyside...and I say again...free parking. Please contact Equity Real Estate, 412-422-9200 x236 and inquire regarding 833 Mifflin Avenue, Apt. 301. Rent is not known, but last year's rent was $810 per month, heat, water and sewage included, you only have to pay electric (which averaged about $65 per month). Also comes with A/C units in all major rooms. The only reason I am moving is because my wife and I need a bigger place and have bought a home.

Hi Guys,

I'm hijacking your thread. So...I'm an MS2, and I'm in the process of finishing renovations on an awesome house in the southside (i.e. coolest place to live in pittsburgh and 5 min from school). I have a huge bedroom with private bathroom available in my fabulous house. Everything will be brand new, as I will be putting down the floor and painting the walls in about 2 weeks. Pets are negotiable. You must be a neat person.

Message me if you're interested.

2) What bank has a lot of ATMs in the area? Any banks with free checking, extended/weekend hours, other goodies? I know Commerce is good...is there a Commerce branch nearby (I will be living in the Darragh Apartments)

3) Anyone have a "for sure" date on Darragh Street Apartment move-in? I got the email that said the lease starts on August 1 and my dad wants to move me in then. But...well...I have been hearing that August 1 will not work from people on SDN.

4) Is there wireless internet in the Darragh Street Apartments? Anyone know how to get wireless if there is not (can I, for example, plug a Linksys wireless system into the internet jack and broadcast through the apartment?) Computer science people? I was a religion major...

5) Are there things we should get/do before orientation that we might not think about? I want to get books, but I am waiting for the SARC manual to go up...not sure when that will happen. Do people at the summer program have any input on books/things to get done?

6) Where do we pick up keys for Darragh Street? Can we use the gym before orientation, or do we need to wait to get an ID card first?

Ok, a lot of questions and probably a few more that I am not thinking of. Sorry about that. At least this will get us back on page 1 :0).

Here's what I can tell you so far:

1) My Verizon has been working well, except for a few random dead spots in lab.

2) I haven't seen Commerce. I signed up for National City because they do free ATMs for any ATM machine, not just theirs. There is a limit of 4 a month though, but who is going to ATM it more than once a week? A lot of people have gone with PNC because it is based here with a lot of ATMs, but being based here you can't get ATMs elsewhere. I've heard that ATMs are free if not their's if you have >$2,000 in your checking account, but you might want to look online for that information.

3) My guess is that August 1st will not be correct (they just put in the carpeting in building 2 and major appliances are not in yet). Building 2 will also be the one that opens first. Just a warning for moving, there isn't much storage space at all and the style As are pretty small (esp. in the living room) so pack accordingly.

4) At second look they said that there will be wireless available in the apartments.

5) Don't get books yet is what I've heard. For the most part you just want to be settled in before orientation, but if you are living in Darragh St., I have no idea how much time you'll have to do that. Getting acquainted with the city is a great thing to do (warning: Mapquest directions suck, Google map is better but still somewhat questionable). My way to get to the Waterfront and Southside works is not listed on either of those.

6) No idea about Darragh Street but you need an activated Pitt ID to get into the gym. They swipe it when you enter the door.

Hope that helps.

i don't need a roommate but i'll be living in Shadyside. i felt a lot more comfortable there than in Oakland...it just seemed a lot safer to me, but i don't know much about living in Pittsburgh.

Shadyside is awesome! :) I'm actually moving to my new place in 22 days. :D

Hey MS1s, if any one is looking for housing, my roommate and I (we are both MS2s) are looking for a 3rd person. Details:

Newly renovated 4 bedroom townhouse located at intersection of Neville and Bayard. Looking for med or graduate student. Lease is available starting after Aug 30th. Early move-in date negotiable.

THE ROOM:
-Private bathroom with bathtub/shower
-spacious closet

THE NEIGHBORHOOD
-15 minute walk to UPitt and CMU
-Numerous restaurants and shops close by
-Safe, friendly, clean neighborhood

THE TOWNHOUSE:
-4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths
-Washer/Dryer
-Cable TV/internet
-Hardwood floors
-Fully furnished common room and dining room

KITCHEN:
-Custom cabinetry and trim

Visit http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/369621052.html for pictures. PM for more info.

Citizen's bank is right at the bottom of the hill across from Children's. I don't know anything about it besides that.

Hey what's up guys, I was checking out the facebook group for Pitt Class of 2011 and only saw a pitiful 44 members out of 148. Most other top schools have at least 70-80, some even triple digits. We really need to show some Pitt pride and get everyone to join up!

I will be headed to Pittsburgh around end of July/August 1 and am hoping to find a camping/climbing partner for a few days. Anyone interested? I will have a rope, a car, and (hopefully) quick draws (I lost mine in Vietnam after a freak climbing accident that required a quick evac...need to buy new ones in Minnesota). I am a girl (in case that makes a difference?) and have been climbing outdoors several times a week for the past two years (and one year indoors before that). I can usually lead sport climbs up to about 6B on the French scale (US???) pretty comfortably here in Northern Thailand (climbs are rated a bit harder than down south, if you have visited). But, since I am still a bit shaky from the accident I would prefer not to lead or at least to have a partner of comparable lead experience in case of any problems. If you're a climber and are looking to camp/climb near Pitt around the beginning of August, please let me know! Also, if we can get at least one other experienced climber out there, I'd be fine taking some beginners along, too :0). PM me if you're interested.

I just got back to the states after a long trip abroad. I didn't pay close attention to Pitt's communications while I was away and I vaguely remember there being an email saying there were some required or recommended reading to prepare for one of our first classes. Or maybe I'm dreaming...

I got the complications book, but is there something else?

MaiPenRai, the gym in Trees Hall (a little past Petersen gym which is across from Scaife) has a climbing wall. i have no idea of the difficulty. i'll check it out in a few days (i have zero climbing experience).

Did anyone else get the invitation to White Coat? It arrived at my house. The ceremony begins at 3pm and there's a reception at Peterson's afterward. I'm assuming that with the time of it, and because we also have to RSVP with the number of guests, there will be some form of food.

Did anyone else get the invitation to White Coat? It arrived at my house. The ceremony begins at 3pm and there's a reception at Peterson's afterward. I'm assuming that with the time of it, and because we also have to RSVP with the number of guests, there will be some form of food.

Nice. :) :hardy: Thanks for letting us know. I haven't gotten it yet but I'm assuming I will soon. Funny since normally stuff gets to Philly quickly.

Citizen's bank is right at the bottom of the hill across from Children's. I don't know anything about it besides that.

There are Citizen's brances all over the place. I already had an account with them so I was glad to see they are here. Pretty much the bank I most frequently see other than PNC, which has the aforementioned drawback of being exclusive to the area.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what all of you thought about the "long white coat" for anatomy. I've never heard of it before, I figured we'd all be in generic scrubs. According to the order form on the Zone, "most peope order both", but I'm wondering if that's true and also if it is, whether it's because people think a long white coat is "cool" or whether it's for practical reasons. Anyone know what they're planning on ordering? I also already have a perfectly decent pair of scrubs, so I suppose I could skip ordering altogether and save some cash, though it might be nice to have an extra pair.

Only 3 weeks until Orientation! Can't wait to see everyone there.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what all of you thought about the "long white coat" for anatomy. I've never heard of it before, I figured we'd all be in generic scrubs. According to the order form on the Zone, "most peope order both", but I'm wondering if that's true and also if it is, whether it's because people think a long white coat is "cool" or whether it's for practical reasons. Anyone know what they're planning on ordering? I also already have a perfectly decent pair of scrubs, so I suppose I could skip ordering altogether and save some cash, though it might be nice to have an extra pair.

Only 3 weeks until Orientation! Can't wait to see everyone there.

Hey peds. I've just heard that if you get cold easily the long white coat helps. It also helps add another layer to reduce the smell and penetration of fluids. However, it seems like one could easily wear a long sleeve shirt that's not cherished and that washing the coat regularly in addition to the scrubs could get old. Also, when I asked my boyfriend (who went through anatomy a few years ago) if I should order the scrub and coat set, he said he didn't see the point of the lab coat and also said, depending on the hospital, it's fairly easy to get scrubs without paying for them. I'm just going to wait until I get to Pitt to see if I actually need a long coat (I already have scrubs). If I do, I imagine there are lab and scrub supply stores within the general vicinity of the hospitals.

What are you all signing up for social-wise for orientation? Cruising? Whitewater rafting? Baseball? Art museums?

Its very hard to "steal" scrubs from UPMC, since its all done in vending machines and you need a card. However, several students have done it, so its not impossible, but unlikely.

You'll want more than one pair of scrubs. They get gross very quickly and smell horrible after a few days. And you are in lab EVERYDAY
The long white coat is needed in more than one lab. Microbiology will also require (in fact you can't get in the lab without it) you to have it, as well as Neuro. In fact, at the end of anatomy I was mostly wearing my scrub bottoms and the white coat on top with my regular clothes under it. And yes, it gets cold in the lab.

In the lab you'll be provided with aprons and arm protectors so technically, you'll be covered in plastic. So the white coat is technically necessary, however you can get around having one by borrowing, taking, or just pulling a garbage bag over yourself.

Hmm. Maybe I will go with both after all. More than one pair of scrubs does sound like a good idea, and it would be nice not to be cold in the lab. Does anyone know if the prices they offer are good? I imagine so since it's bulk ordering, but haven't really checked around at all...

Stiffany, for social events I'm thinking I'll go to all. They say you can bring friends and family, so my husband will probably come too. Two museums and dinner for $8 is hard to pass up, as is a game in PNC park for $10 (PNC park is supposed to be pretty incredible). And who can pass up a cruise and white-water rafting?

Hmm. Maybe I will go with both after all. More than one pair of scrubs does sound like a good idea, and it would be nice not to be cold in the lab. Does anyone know if the prices they offer are good? I imagine so since it's bulk ordering, but haven't really checked around at all...

Stiffany, for social events I'm thinking I'll go to all. They say you can bring friends and family, so my husband will probably come too. Two museums and dinner for $8 is hard to pass up, as is a game in PNC park for $10 (PNC park is supposed to be pretty incredible). And who can pass up a cruise and white-water rafting?

i'm planning on doing as much as possible i think. the dinner cruise sounds great. i can't do the white water rafting since i'll have company that weekend :( . it all sounds so much fun though...i'm getting really excited!

is anyone going to go to that significant other gathering? if my boyfriend isn't with me that week, i'm tempted to go anyway....

i'm planning on doing as much as possible i think. the dinner cruise sounds great. i can't do the white water rafting since i'll have company that weekend :( . it all sounds so much fun though...i'm getting really excited!

is anyone going to go to that significant other gathering? if my boyfriend isn't with me that week, i'm tempted to go anyway....

My husband and I are definitely going to the SO event. You should go - even if your boyfriend is away, it will be a good opportunity to figure out who else is there with an SO. I went to the SO gathering at 2nd look, which was admittedly a lot smaller, but there were a lot of great people there (and some really cute kids), so it was definitely worth it.

Hmmm...Toxic's post makes me more inclined to go ahead and order a lab coat. I can't seem to find cheaper ones online, but I might not be looking in the right spots.

My husband and I are definitely going to the SO event. You should go - even if your boyfriend is away, it will be a good opportunity to figure out who else is there with an SO. I went to the SO gathering at 2nd look, which was admittedly a lot smaller, but there were a lot of great people there (and some really cute kids), so it was definitely worth it.

I will also probably go to the significant other gathering even though my boyfriend won't be able to make it. I'm hoping for some good balancing/long distance tips from the panel and just meeting other people with similar situations seems helpful. :)