~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've called them too many times already -- I think I'm blacklisted at the financial aid office

The 12th last year?!?!? That is absolutely ridiculous

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email with a pdf of my financial aid package!! I got an $8,642 scholarship for first year haha...not amazing, but at least it's something!

Just got an email with a pdf of my financial aid package!! I got an $8,642 scholarship for first year haha...not amazing, but at least it's something!

Did they send loan information in that same email? I haven't gotten anything from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my finaid package in the email as well......:)

Did they send loan information in that same email? I haven't gotten anything from them.

yeah they did...oh, and my dad is THRILLED that they estimated my family can contribute over $15,000 a year haha

Also, shouldn't "class" be capitalized in "class of 2011"? ;)

Im starting to get the sense that my design of the facebook group title is not the best. Keep searching........:thumbup:

i'm *all* loans, so i'm *all* not going to pitt. :(

have fun there, guys! it's a great school!

i'm *all* loans, so i'm *all* not going to pitt. :(

Awe, you'll be missed Doctor Detroit. Hope you get a better fin aid package elsewhere! :thumbup:

Awe, you'll be missed Doctor Detroit. Hope you get a better fin aid package elsewhere! :thumbup:

thanks stiffany. i did get one, which is why i can't justify going to pitt for full price even though it tops my list. it looks like you guys have a great group for next year.

i'm *all* loans, so i'm *all* not going to pitt.

I'm with you. Bye bye Pitt; it was fun while it lasted.

Oh sad! Bye Doctor~Detroit and cubbie.

My letter came this morning, and I had to call the office. They forgot to list my unsubsidized loans and so I only had a $8500 loan for the year. Definitely not enough to cover living expenses. I feel better now after calling them. Somehow they had a family contribution listed even though I never sent in those forms.

My letter came this morning, and I had to call the office. They forgot to list my unsubsidized loans and so I only had a $8500 loan for the year. Definitely not enough to cover living expenses. I feel better now after calling them. Somehow they had a family contribution listed even though I never sent in those forms.

my "family contribution" was almost half my family's income! suuuuure.

Phew that's good to hear, b/c they also only listed my $8500 sub. loan and I've been trying to figure out how the hell I'm supposed to live on that! Good to know it was probably an error on their part - I'll give them a call.

Dr.Detroit and cubbbie, sorry you won't be joining us! Good luck wherever you end up next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Phew that's good to hear, b/c they also only listed my $8500 sub. loan and I've been trying to figure out how the hell I'm supposed to live on that! Good to know it was probably an error on their part - I'll give them a call.

Dr.Detroit and cubbbie, sorry you won't be joining us! Good luck wherever you end up next year!

They were really nice when I called. I wonder why they didn't list it on the form. I hope it's on the hard copy so that I don't have to call them again.

They were really nice when I called. I wonder why they didn't list it on the form. I hope it's on the hard copy so that I don't have to call them again.

When I called I asked if I should write it in on the form before I sign it and send it back; she said not to, because they already had the info. Then she asked (hesitantly) if I wanted her to send me the revised copy, and I said yes... so bottom line, I don't think it matters, but if you do want a revised copy I do think you'll have to ask for it.

When I called I asked if I should write it in on the form before I sign it and send it back; she said not to, because they already had the info. Then she asked (hesitantly) if I wanted her to send me the revised copy, and I said yes... so bottom line, I don't think it matters, but if you do want a revised copy I do think you'll have to ask for it.

Ah, thanks. I'll call them tomorrow and ask them if they can mail me the correct copy. I don't want to sign the form without them putting that down in writing.

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone else hasn't heard about their financial aid package yet. I'm starting to get nervous...

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone else hasn't heard about their financial aid package yet. I'm starting to get nervous...

Hmm. I'd give them a call, especially if you are waiting for financial information before making a final decision.

my award package said nothing about the expected family contribution. it also said the student contribution was $0. does that mean my family doesn't make enough money to contribute (my dad was unemployed most of the year and my mom was on 8 months leave because of an injury). if so, why didn't i get any loans from the school? or max out the unsubsidized stafford loan? confused...

also, i didn't get a hard copy. just the email. will i just have to sign and turn in the hard copy, or was i supposed to do something with the email?

my award package said nothing about the expected family contribution. it also said the student contribution was $0. does that mean my family doesn't make enough money to contribute (my dad was unemployed most of the year and my mom was on 8 months leave because of an injury). if so, why didn't i get any loans from the school? or max out the unsubsidized stafford loan? confused...

also, i didn't get a hard copy. just the email. will i just have to sign and turn in the hard copy, or was i supposed to do something with the email?

A hard copy is supposed to come in the mail eventually. I haven't received mine either. You might want to call and check about loans; they completely left out my unsubsidized stafford but fixed it as soon as I called.

It's May 15th! Who else is coming to Pitt for sure?

:luck: to all on the waitlist.

Also, did anyone get their hard copy in the mail yet? I still haven't received mine.

I haven't received a hard copy either.

HEY ... thanks for the WL well wishes ... this is dragging on now ... it's May 15th and I have all summer to start waiting for real now.

UGH. Anyone heard anything at all regarding Pitt and WL movement, btw?

I don't know when the waitlist moves, but it seems like from others on here that it won't start moving till mid/late summer since they overaccept their class.

Withdrew -- really hard to do, I loved the school. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

So my roommate and I (1st year medical students) are looking to sublet/hand over the lease for our current apartment at The Chalfont (North Oakland neighborhood – highly residential; on several bus routes, close to the universities)

We are looking for person(s) to sublet our apartment from the end of May – end of August. Since this is the end of our lease, you have the option to extend the lease for as long as you want. (1-year renewals)

We have a 900 sq. ft. 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment at The Chalfont (see link below); we individually live in the living room and the bedroom.**

Some features (more specific ones on website; we can also answer specific questions/show pictures/show you around):

- Residence: ~ 900 sq. ft, carpeted floors throughout
Rooms: Bedroom: 12’ x 18’ ; Living Room: 14’ x 20’ ; Dining Room 10’ x 12’
Kitchen: Dishwasher, spacious pantry, window, etc.
Closets: Foyer closet, Hallway closet, 2 bedroom closets
Central A/C, Heating included!

- Amenities: Indoor Parking; rooftop sundeck w/ barbeque grills; fitness center; laundry facilities; additional private storage; visual identification system

- Transportation: 15 min. walk to Oakland, 4+ city bus routes going towards Oakland and Downtown; on Pitt. Shuttle Routes; Pharmacy across the street; grocery store down the street!

Good security, amazing view

All features for our building: http://www.chalfontapartments.com/01_features.htm
Floor plan: http://www.chalfontapartments.com/02_Chalfont_1BR_1B_900.htm

**I used dividers to set aside a living space. The bathroom is in the hallway, not in any specific room. This setup allowed us to reside in a relatively luxurious, quiet place while saving significant money. So if you have a roommate in mind and are looking for a very nice but very cheap place to stay, this is perfect.

It's May 15th! Who else is coming to Pitt for sure?

:luck: to all on the waitlist.

Also, did anyone get their hard copy in the mail yet? I still haven't received mine.

I got my hard copy in the mail last week. And after withdrawing from the other school I was holding onto, I am officially coming to Pitt! (As if putting an $860 deposit down on an apartment in March wasn't enough to make it official...)

Well I'm officially going to Pitt after withdrawing from my other schools. Is anyone else living in the Darraugh St apartments?

I am also officially going to Pitt and living in the Darragh Street apartments. So exciting!!! :)

congrats to all attending pitt!

i'm just finished my undergrad there and LOVE the school. but unfortunately i am one of the unlucky people pulling their hair out on the waitlist...

if anyone has any questions about the city/school/housing i'd be happy to help

hope to see you all in the fall!

Hi all:

Back after (another!) long absence.
Thanks to all who responded re:hungover:eferrals at Pitt.

So it's official -- I'll be volunteering in Ethiopia with Dr Rick Hodes through the JDC next year, deferral's approved, all is well.

Here's to meeting all of you as experienced second-years! :)

Oh -- and you are all welcome to visit me in Addis Ababa next year. And yes, when I finally do matriculate, there will be rock climbing involved. So all of you -- stay normal now. :)

Hi everyone! I'll be joining you this August at Pitt Med! Does anyone need a place to stay in Pittsburgh for any part of this summer (any or all of June-mid August)? I am looking to sublet my apartment, its really convenient to the school and is very affordable. Let me know if you are interested....thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm officially going to Pitt too! I'll be moving in next week on June 1st to start research. If anyone will be living in pittsburgh for the summer, let me know-would love to throw a roof-deck party to meet and greet with the summer people!

Looking forward to meeting you all.

just saw this thread. hello to everyone!

nmc103, i'll be there this summer. starting June 4th because I'm visiting family in China and won't make it back in time. i'm subleasing from an MS1 for the summer in an apt on Negley. apparently, all first years are guaranteed housing in Darragh so I'll be living there unless some crazy deal comes along.

can't wait to meet y'all!

Hello. I will also be attending Pitt in the Fall! I have a favor to ask. I'm having mail trouble, so I was hoping that you guys could post if you get anything via "snail mail" in the next few weeks. I'm worried that I'm going to miss out on something important. Thanks. I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Hello. I will also be attending Pitt in the Fall! I have a favor to ask. I'm having mail trouble, so I was hoping that you guys could post if you get anything via "snail mail" in the next few weeks. I'm worried that I'm going to miss out on something important. Thanks. I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Speaking of which, is anyone else still waiting on their snail mail copy of the financial aid information? I don't know where mine is.

Anybody know when we get our login for all the student stuff on "the zone?" I am trying to figure out my housing for the year and being able too coordinate with prospective roommates would be a huge help.

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I got into Pitt off the waitlist, and I just want to say hi to people who are in this forum (including stiffany, who used to work down the hall from me). I'm very excited about school because it was my top choice.

My only concern right now is that because I didn't get accepted until May, all the dorms are filled (especially Darragh St.!). Someone in previous threads mentioned that all 1st yr med students are guaranteed housing at Darragh St. Is that true? Otherwise, I'm looking for housing and perhaps a roommate as well. Does anyone know how I should go about doing that? (I was told that they'll start something on The Zone for that on June 1st?).

Anyways, thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing you guys in August!

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I got into Pitt off the waitlist, and I just want to say hi to people who are in this forum (including stiffany, who used to work down the hall from me). I'm very excited about school because it was my top choice.

My only concern right now is that because I didn't get accepted until May, all the dorms are filled (especially Darragh St.!). Someone in previous threads mentioned that all 1st yr med students are guaranteed housing at Darragh St. Is that true? Otherwise, I'm looking for housing and perhaps a roommate as well. Does anyone know how I should go about doing that? (I was told that they'll start something on The Zone for that on June 1st?).

Anyways, thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing you guys in August!

Congrats on getting off the waitlist. As for housing, I have a one bedroom type B reserved (but no lease signed since they haven't sent them yet) at Darragh St. that I will not be using since I just found an apartment in Shadyside. Once my lease for new apartment has been filed, I plan on telling the housing office that I will not be using the apartment. Maybe you could ask them if you could be notified when spots on the apartments open up if you are interested in living there. Mine should be open by the end of next week.

congrats everyone on deir acceptances! After a long standoff with financial aid, I've decided to come to Pitt nxt year! Even tho I've never been to the midwest before, I'm glad that I have friends in the area who will help me get accustomed to it. I really enjoyed second-look; don't really know if other schools are down to take out a rowhouse and get an awesome dj for a party on any day like that!

Hey Guys,

Looking at the links that erina posted a while back and some questions came up:
http://www.omed.pitt.edu/AcademicCalendar/AY_2007-2008/daily_2011.pdf

1) Do you know what time it means by PM? I didn't get a good sense of when students are out of class during my interview.

2) Seems odd that medical interviewing and intro to medical decision making are h, p, f. Do they have tests? Anybody get a sense if these classes are stressful?

- I also heard the zone should be up for us by June 1st as well.

PD

I was just going through my stuff and realized that I have doubles of a few pots and pans. PM me if interested. I'll save the stuff for you, otherwise I'll be giving it to Goodwill (or whatever organization). I believe that it will be two saucepans of different sizes, one large pan for cooking pasta/soup/etc., a large frying pan, and possibly some glass bakeware. Everything is used, but in good condition. My parents save everything when they purchased new stuff so everything has only been used by my family. I won't be certain until the end of July when I start packing to move exactly what I have, but if interested, I'll make sure to save it.

oh! Another thing that I will have is a fitted full sized futon cover. PM me with your email if interested and I'll send you a picture. It has a few small (dime size?) black stains and a slight tear in it, otherwise it's in good condition. I bought it new 3 years ago.

Hi,
I might have to decide on Pitt soon, and I was wondering a couple things from current students at Pitt(or very informed MS0s).
1. PBL? How did you all feel about it? I don't have strong feelings about it either way but have seen a lot of people on SDN complain that they wouldn't feel as prepared with a PBL-centered curriculum than a traditional one. I know this is a personal preference thing, but I was wondering if people who didn't come in with a 100% pro-PBL attitude (altho not necessarily AGAINST it) found it to work for them.
2. For the Scholarly Project, do the vast majority of people work on it during their summer after first year? I wanted to spend that summer doing other things so I am worried. Does it tend to be extremely time-consuming over the course of med school? Is it pass/fail?

Thanks so much...these two worries are the only things keeping me from being 100% Pitt all the way! I'd be so excited to hear opinions from current students!

I'm assuming that no one else got the information by email for the zone since I hadn't yet, but we got the information yesterday at our orientation. Here's how it works:

Go to zone.medschool.pitt.edu. A popup should come up asking you for information about username and password.

Username = lastname.firstname
Password = firstinitiallastname first4digitsSSN firstinitialfirstname

Here's how it would work for someone named John Doe with an SSN of 12345679:

Username = doe.john
Password = d1234j

Your email is just the [email protected] (e.g. [email protected])

i'm trying to forward my med school email to gmail but i keep getting an error message. let me know if any of you guys are successful at this!

Did anybody else get this to work?

Is there a character limit on first/last names?

I'm assuming that no one else got the information by email for the zone since I hadn't yet, but we got the information yesterday at our orientation. Here's how it works:

Go to zone.medschool.pitt.edu. A popup should come up asking you for information about username and password.

Username = lastname.firstname
Password = firstinitiallastname first4digitsSSN firstinitialfirstname

Here's how it would work for someone named John Doe with an SSN of 12345679:

Username = doe.john
Password = d1234j

Your email is just the [email protected] (e.g. [email protected])