University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not applied here yet. Highly considering it though. 3.4 GPA with 503 MCAT, retaking it at the end of this month. Should I apply, even though it is so late in to the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not applied here yet. Highly considering it though. 3.4 GPA with 503 MCAT, retaking it at the end of this month. Should I apply, even though it is so late in to the cycle?
Are you verified? If not, no way. Too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this typical of them? Do they do silent rejections? It's kind of unsettling not hearing anything from them for so long...
I know a couple people who didn't get an interview who didn't get the rejection email until the last day of the cycle, like they sent them out in mass.
As long as you haven't received a rejection though consider yourself still in the running.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a couple people who didn't get an interview who didn't get the rejection email until the last day of the cycle, like they sent them out in mass.
As long as you haven't received a rejection though consider yourself still in the running.

For those who have not got a II yet would you guys recommend an email expressing continued interest to admission?

For those who have not got a II yet would you guys recommend an email expressing continued interest to admission?
I'm sure if you haven't withdrew your application they're well aware you're still interested, but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to reach out

If you've got your primary verified you can hit submit and hope for a waitlist spot. My friend got in scrambling with an application in January.
But the retake on your MCAT means diddily squat. It won't be considered for admissions and if you disclose that you're retaking it it may prevent you from an interview while you wait. Why are you retaking it now? Would it not be more beneficial to wait till may for the typical cycle?

Does anyone know if KYCOM has started calling about decisions from the interviews on January 6th or 7th?
@samac

I've tried calling KYCOM admissions multiple times and no one has been answering. It goes straight to the voicemail of some person. Should i just send an email inquiring about my app status?

Has anyone checked their portal and their status says that they're complete, but when you check communications status there's no message that states that you're complete?? Fairly sure this isn't normal but I'm not sure whether I should email them or not about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone checked their portal and their status says that they're complete, but when you check communications status there's no message that states that you're complete?? Fairly sure this isn't normal but I'm not sure whether I should email them or not about it.
Mine is like that too

Just got the call, Accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call!! Any idea when we'll get the official acceptance email?

Reactions: 1 users
I hope soon, I have this irrational fear that they will take my acceptance away or my spot will be snatched up before I can pay my deposit!

I hope soon, I have this irrational fear that they will take my acceptance away or my spot will be snatched up before I can pay my deposit!
Lmao! Let's think positively

Congrats to all of you! Would those accepted mind sharing their stats?

Congrats to all of you! Would those accepted mind sharing their stats?

cgpa 3.51 sgpa 3.23. Mcat 504
No research.
No health related volunteering. (But I have organized 2 blood drives)
No healthcare related jobs.
60 hours volunteering.
60 hours shadowing md and do.
Not urm
Rural
Out of region
Graduated in December from a small state college (town of 5500) with a very rigorous science program.
Active in a number of clubs, tutored for a semester.

cgpa 3.51 sgpa 3.23. Mcat 504
No research.
No health related volunteering. (But I have organized 2 blood drives)
No healthcare related jobs.
60 hours volunteering.
60 hours shadowing md and do.
Not urm
Rural
Out of region
Graduated in December from a small state college (town of 5500) with a very rigorous science program.
Active in a number of clubs, tutored for a semester.

Thanks! Do you recall how long it took you to hear back about an interview?

Do I have a reasonable chance of getting an II? cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.6, MCAT:499

Is anyone else having trouble emailing the KYCOM faculty, I am attempting to email my interviewers to say thank you but I keep getting error messages.

Interview invite just now!! I never thought this day would come!

Also, can anyone comment on whether an interview in early/mid February will likely be for a waitlist spot? Or could it possibly be for a normal seat?

Also, can anyone comment on whether an interview in early/mid February will likely be for a waitlist spot? Or could it possibly be for a normal seat?
I've read on here that they started interviewing later in the cycle, so you should be fine.

With that in mind, don't worry about that stuff. People get acceptances up until March at most schools. Go into the interview gunning for an acceptance.

If it's not an acceptance into this year's class it is an acceptance into next year's with the chance to move up into this year's. Pretty sweet deal.

I emailed to inquire about my application and was sent this:

"Your file has been assigned to committee for possible interview invite and reviews should be done soon. Thanks!"

Does this just mean that my application is still under general review?

I emailed to inquire about my application and was sent this:

"Your file has been assigned to committee for possible interview invite and reviews should be done soon. Thanks!"

Does this just mean that my application is still under general review?
That's just a generic response meaning a decision hasn't been made yet about you

Does anyone know when we get info about our school email? I saw that fasfa info will be emailed to us through our Upike email.

Got an ii but will declined.
Hope it goes to someone else.
Thanks for a great cycle

Does anyone know if Pikeville has Simulation and Training rooms that allow you to role play medical situations and care?

Does anyone know if Pikeville has Simulation and Training rooms that allow you to role play medical situations and care?
They exist. I have not used them once. It's a rather frustrating aspect.

They exist. I have not used them once. It's a rather frustrating aspect.

Have you brought it up with anyone? No one showed them to us during the tour and I didn't see them advertise it at all.

Have you brought it up with anyone? No one showed them to us during the tour and I didn't see them advertise it at all.
Of course people have brought it up. They wouldn't have taken you into the clinic If it was Friday because we were giving male wellness exams.
I'm just letting you know we don't use them, if it's important to you I wouldn't recommend coming here.

Ironically this afternoon they pulled out the sim man and took him to our classroom to do EKGs with drugs. It wasn't that great of an experience.

As @samac has said, yes, they exist. But no, they are not frequently used. I think I remember using the Harvey doll (cardiac sim) once during first year, then again once during lecture second year. The other sim man(s) they bring out for us to practice intubation, and one day we went up and practiced palpating pulses and stuff...? It was a super odd experience. The guy in charge of the simulation stuff, Rob, is pretty cool and always encouraged us to shoot him an email if we ever wanted to come play in the sim lab. As great as the offer sounded, there really wasn't ever any great free time to dink around there- but the offer stands I'm sure.

Different clubs, especially EM, will have various opportunities where you can practice on the simulators (placing IVs, epidurals, etc.) but those are outside of class time. Part of the curriculum includes learning all of the organ system exams (general, HEENT, cardio, respiratory, neuro, msk, etc.) and we practice all that on each other. We also practiced injections on each other and sutures as well as male and female "sensitive" exams.

I was certainly annoyed during preclinicals that we didn't have more simulation experience. HOWEVER, as a third year, I will tell you that I don't feel "gypped" in the slightest by not spending much time with the sim models. Real people are sooooo very different than the models, and any kind of canned role-play activity (ex: OSCEs) are not similar to real-life at all. It's one thing to hear a pericardial friction rub on a sim doll, and another to hear it on a uremic patient who is about to get dialysis. The best training you'll get in this regard is during your CEs second year, and especially during rotations your third and fourth year. As I noted above we practiced injections and sutures during preclinicals. However, in the real world, usually the MAs or RNs are going to be giving the injections, and you'll learn how to suture during your surgery rotations. So, it was a fun little afternoon, but I don't think having only an hour or two lab significantly hindered my performance on rotations. The short of it: I would not make your decision on attendance based solely on the lack of sim experience during first and second year.

As @samac has said, yes, they exist. But no, they are not frequently used. I think I remember using the Harvey doll (cardiac sim) once during first year, then again once during lecture second year. The other sim man(s) they bring out for us to practice intubation, and one day we went up and practiced palpating pulses and stuff...? It was a super odd experience. The guy in charge of the simulation stuff, Rob, is pretty cool and always encouraged us to shoot him an email if we ever wanted to come play in the sim lab. As great as the offer sounded, there really wasn't ever any great free time to dink around there- but the offer stands I'm sure.

Different clubs, especially EM, will have various opportunities where you can practice on the simulators (placing IVs, epidurals, etc.) but those are outside of class time. Part of the curriculum includes learning all of the organ system exams (general, HEENT, cardio, respiratory, neuro, msk, etc.) and we practice all that on each other. We also practiced injections on each other and sutures as well as male and female "sensitive" exams.

I was certainly annoyed during preclinicals that we didn't have more simulation experience. HOWEVER, as a third year, I will tell you that I don't feel "gypped" in the slightest by not spending much time with the sim models. Real people are sooooo very different than the models, and any kind of canned role-play activity (ex: OSCEs) are not similar to real-life at all. It's one thing to hear a pericardial friction rub on a sim doll, and another to hear it on a uremic patient who is about to get dialysis. The best training you'll get in this regard is during your CEs second year, and especially during rotations your third and fourth year. As I noted above we practiced injections and sutures during preclinicals. However, in the real world, usually the MAs or RNs are going to be giving the injections, and you'll learn how to suture during your surgery rotations. So, it was a fun little afternoon, but I don't think having only an hour or two lab significantly hindered my performance on rotations. The short of it: I would not make your decision on attendance based solely on the lack of sim experience during first and second year.

Thanks you for the fantastic answer! This was super helpful!

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is KYCOM is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.

II today but declined as well. Good luck to all of you :)

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is KYCOM is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.
I answered basically this question back in the earlier pages of this thread (see pages 2-3), but here is the meat and potatoes:

My rotation site is solid, I'm learning what I need to learn, my preceptors are willing to teach me, and the other students/residents are super kind and helpful. However, I had to do my own research to make sure I wouldn't end up somewhere not learning anything. If I'm being brutally honest, I feel at a disadvantage compared to my MD significant other who had all kinds of specialty opportunities and other stuff that big MD schools can offer, but the day-to-day is very similar. Morning report, didactics weekly, reading assignments from preceptors, some doing really awesome stuff on your own (actually, I got to do some procedures that some of my MD buddies still haven't), and a lot of standing around feeling awkward because you're the new kid who has no clue what you're doing/how their office works.

Long answer:
I can only speak for my site and my limited knowledge of the site one of my friends is at. But first, some background: During second year, you will be given a list of sites available with total number of openings per site. I would urge you to contact students at the sites you might be interested in and hearing specifics from them- the school makes a list of students and their contact info available. Research the town; research the hospital. Ask the students there specific questions: how many hours are you in didactics a week? What residency programs are available at the site? How prepared did your site make you feel for taking your COMATs/level 2? I think a lot of people get too focused on the area and not the quality of the program. While the area is definitely an important factor, the reason you're going to these rotations is to learn. As for the specific sites, I would say that my friend's site is without question superior to mine. She has more didactics, and there is a dedicated internal medicine residency program there which means learning in a more traditional med student- intern- resident- attending hierarchy. However, I am at one of the better sites (not that I'm biased at all or anything...) So, this is something you definitely want to be aware of at any school you apply to that sends students to multiple locations. So, virtually all DO schools.

The site I am at is shared with students from MSU-COM and DMU-COM; this in and of itself was something I looked at as MSU and DMU are some of the better DO schools out there. My site has a family medicine residency, and the residents do basically everything the med students do, so there is a bit of the med student- resident- attending hierarchy however, if a resident is on a specific service, the medical student will not be placed with that specific attending the same day/time. This means more one-on-one time with the attending. SO there are two ways this can go: one, you don't get yourself accustomed to the way hospitals work when you become a resident, or two, you ask the attending as many questions as possible/ask for additional readings/ how you can help. Wherever you go to med school, you are always going to be the awkward med student in the short white coat for a while- I believe when you don't have the resident between you and the attending, you need to pick up some of the slack where you can. On the particular rotation I'm on right now, I can be of use by helping clean the room after the patient visit (pull down the paper, make sure there's gloves/whatever supplies) so the MAs can focus on rooming the patients. It might sound menial and to be fair, I'm not 100% sure the doctors have any idea. However, I'm now on the good side of the MAs- which is never a bad place to be!

Another advantage of rotating at a community hospital is that people seem to look out for their own. What do I mean by this? Today we shared the specialties we were possibly interested in, and at the end of our morning report, I was approached by two students- one saying his roommate is president of the student chapter organization of one of the specialties I'm contemplating, and would I like to talk to them at all (I'm being vague because this person can obviously be easily identified) The second offered to take me to the emergency room after I finished for the day to introduce me to some of the attendings so I could get an idea of who they are/how things work there. I ended up staying there to talk about life in EM/how to prepare for applications/ life in general for a solid hour. To me, it's stuff like this that isn't going to make it into my evals or deans letter, nor is it helping me study for my shelf exam on Friday, but it's what reminds me I'm in the right spot. (*awww how delightfully corny*)

SO, back to the meat and potatoes of your question:
1. it is site-specific. Some students are working their asses off; one student worked 13-15 hour days for 19 days straight... I'm super glad I'm not at that site. But I bet they're learning a ton! Some students are working from 7:30-3 and that just is the nature of not being in a giant hospital. As a note, these are both surgery rotations.
2. Do your research- if you're on SDN, I wouldn't be too concerned as you're already leaps ahead of some of the students who matriculate in terms of seeking out information.
3. You are going to have to be okay with being a self-directed learner: finding what resources are best (SDN/Reddit is great for this), making yourself a schedule for studying/preparing for your shelf exams, and sticking to it. BUT you are going to have to do this anywhere you end up unless your school micro-manages everything (barf.)
4. Reach out and make connections early.
5. As with most of med school, it is what you make of it. If you try hard and show interest, people are going to be more willing to spend the time to teach you. Same as studying hard the first two years and being able to do well on your board exams.

Anyway, I tend to go for the lengthy replies, but hopefully I got to the root of what you were addressing. If not, or you feel I was too political (aka gave a non-answer), feel free to ask some more specifics. Always happy to help!

NOTE: I copy/pasted and made some super minimal edits. Obviously where it notes "my current rotation" and "today," that is not the case. If you have further questions, feel free to ask them specifically! As for some more updates that I have a few more rotations under my belt: Doctors get super excited when you tell them (genuinely, that's a key tidbit) that you are interested in their specialty. I'm currently 50/50 split between EM and peds, and over the last two days (my first two days of my EM rotation) I've gotten the numbers for several attendings and some program directors and lots of promises to "call me if you're thinking of doing a rotation there, I'll put in a good word for you." Other tidbits, I finished a surgery rotation last week. Now, I found out I hate surgery, but without any residents or other students to fight amongst, I got to do what I would consider a fair amount for a third year student to be doing (first assist on a few cases, lots of sutures/ minimal procedure type stuff.)

Last edited: